Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ugh. He's booked The Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. That is the worst venue in town because of shitty sound, and I've boycotted it. I guess I won't be seeing Neil this tour. That sucks, because it is fairly likely that it would have been my last chance. Unless he switched venues again. The last time he came to town he started out booked in the QE, but then moved it to the arena "due to high demand".
    Just buy a ticket.... 
    No way - shows at the venue are a completely fucking waste of money. All they result in for me is disappointment. I've learned my lesson with this place.... It managed to completely ruin the one and only time I ever got to see Soundgarden, which I'm pretty bitter about.
    It's Neil Young. He can not even show up and it would be worth it.

Buy the ticket.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ugh. He's booked The Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. That is the worst venue in town because of shitty sound, and I've boycotted it. I guess I won't be seeing Neil this tour. That sucks, because it is fairly likely that it would have been my last chance. Unless he switched venues again. The last time he came to town he started out booked in the QE, but then moved it to the arena "due to high demand".
    Just buy a ticket.... 
    No way - shows at the venue are a completely fucking waste of money. All they result in for me is disappointment. I've learned my lesson with this place.... It managed to completely ruin the one and only time I ever got to see Soundgarden, which I'm pretty bitter about.
    Buy the ticket.

Neil solo acoustic in a theater is a totally different thing  than Soundgarden.

Most of the old theaters weren’t designed for loud electric performances, especially when the band insists on playing at the same volume as they would at an outdoor festival.

Example: Northrop Auditorium in Minneapolis. I saw Oasis there in the early 90s. It was so fucking loud you couldn’t distinguish guitars from drums. Saw My Morning Jacket there a few years ago.  I’m not sure if they thought they were playing a festival with 40,000 people or a theater that seats 2500. It was too loud for the room unless you had ear plugs.

I’ve also seen Jason Isbell and Neil play at the same venue and the sound was perfect. They also weren’t trying to play so the people down the street could hear it. Same venue, different approach.

also if I remember right, a lot of those Soundgarden theater shows sounded terrible.

just buy a ticket. These solo acoustic shows have been amazing.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2019
    When I boycott something I boycott it for real. Boycotting usually involves sacrifice.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    When I boycott something I boycott it for real. Boycotting usually involves sacrifice.
    Just get a ticket.

Do it for me.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    German fans - if you buy a ticket for a Neil Young concert for this tour, can you choose eTicket or do you have to get a physical ticket sent to you?
  • Listening to No More right now.

It’s one of his best tunes. So much feeling. Haunting. Awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • What’s the presale code for Vancouver? Anyone got?
    PJ_Soul said:
    You're making me stressed. Buy a ticket. THESE AREN'T NO DRIED UP OLD LADIES -- ITS NEIL YOUNG.
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    You're making me stressed. Buy a ticket. THESE AREN'T NO DRIED UP OLD LADIES -- ITS NEIL YOUNG.
    No, lol. I told you, I boycotted the venue. What kind of person would I be if I broke boycotts I made for myself? A shitty person! No thanks!
    You are funny though, lol.
    I got to see Neil from the centre rail only a couple of years ago or so, and it was phenomenal!!! No way am I ruining that memory with a crap show with bad sound at the garbage QE. ;) And even if the sound does happen to be okay for this particular show for whatever reason, I will not regret not breaking a boycott. Win-win!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2019
    Bob Dylan @ Gothenburg June 28 (Sadly missing Eddie in Berlin on the same date)
    Eddie Vedder @ Dusseldorf June 30
    Neil Young @ Dresden July 2
    Neil Young @ Berlin July 3 

Nice week!  AND SOME GOD DAMN ALONE TIME.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Buy the ticket.......  it's Neil f'ing Young
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, lol. I told you, I boycotted the venue. What kind of person would I be if I broke boycotts I made for myself? A shitty person! No thanks!
    You are funny though, lol.
    I got to see Neil from the centre rail only a couple of years ago or so, and it was phenomenal!!! No way am I ruining that memory with a crap show with bad sound at the garbage QE. ;) And even if the sound does happen to be okay for this particular show for whatever reason, I will not regret not breaking a boycott. Win-win!
    Nobody puts PJ Soul in a corner 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

The boycott isnt for political/social reasons or to stand up for the oppressed... it's just because of previous poor sound right? 

Go. See. Neil. 

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    my2hands said:
    The boycott isnt for political/social reasons or to stand up for the oppressed... it's just because of previous poor sound right? 

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    edited March 2019
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    I don't break boycotts no matter what they're about. Principle isn't only reserved for socially important issues, lol.
    I'm not fucking going to see Neil unless he switches venues. I'm not even struggling with the decision. I never want to see anyone at the QE and I'm okay with that. If anything, you annoying people have completely solidified my position in concrete. I'm pretty stubborn, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Your loss
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    I don't break boycotts no matter what they're about. Principle isn't only reserved for socially important issues, lol.
    I'm not fucking going to see Neil unless he switches venues. I'm not even struggling with the decision. I never want to see anyone at the QE and I'm okay with that. If anything, you annoying people have completely solidified my position in concrete. I'm pretty stubborn, lol.
    Come to Dresden and/or Berlin and see him with me then :P
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    You guys are turning PJ_Soul into PJ_Metal
    bflynn1 said:
    You guys are turning PJ_Soul into PJ_Metal
    :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    Come to Dresden and/or Berlin and see him with me then :P
    If I had any money to do that, I totally would!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    I don't break boycotts no matter what they're about. 
    Dont back down, Soul!

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    You’re nuts.

I’m going. I was at that Soundgarden show and geezuz... you couldn’t have made a concert sound worse if you tried. I am blaming the drunk sound guys versus the venue though.

I’ve seen other shows at the QE and they have been fine.

edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    You’re nuts.

I’m going. I was at that Soundgarden show and geezuz... you couldn’t have made a concert sound worse if you tried. I am blaming the drunk sound guys versus the venue though.

That was only one of six or seven expensive concerts completely ruined for me by that venue. I wouldn't mind if it was just one show obviously.
    Seriously, I'm happy to never frequent that venue again. I don't care who's playing there. I wouldn't even go if PJ played it.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    You’re nuts.

That was only one of six or seven expensive concerts completely ruined for me by that venue. I wouldn't mind if it was just one show obviously.
    Seriously, I'm happy to never frequent that venue again. I don't care who's playing there. I wouldn't even go if PJ played it.
    So what's the final decision?  Are you going?
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    You’re nuts.

So what's the final decision?  Are you going?
    :lol:

edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    I don't break boycotts no matter what they're about. 
    Dont back down, Soul!

:rofl: Thanks Dr. D, lol!
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Go. See. Neil. 

This. Always this.

YES!
    You’re nuts.

If you cave. And by all accounts it looks like you will cave. The first beer is on me! 

#pjsoulvancouverQE2019
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    If anyone is looking for copy of The Cellar Door vinyl release, Amazon US has it for under $14 at the moment. 
    Is she going yet?