Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    Where at NYA is that Toast writeup? I can' find it.

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402

Can one finding anything on the NYA?
  • Options
    yeah, its bad.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274
    It’s on page 7 of the Contrarian, in the Road Stories column

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    thanks!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I order Rut Bucket over the weekend and it arrived late last night. Can't wait to spin it later today!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    LukinFan said:
    I order Rut Bucket over the weekend and it arrived late last night. Can't wait to spin it later today!
    How much did you pay?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    static111 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Colorado is really growing on me the past week. Didn't put much time into it when it was delivered but I've given it a few spins lately and it's a great album. "Green Is Blue" is a fantastic song. In fact, lots of surprisingly great songs here.
    Colorado is great.  Shut It Down and help me lose my mind are great to crank.  The only song I don’t really get into is the  first song on the album.  I really enjoy it and I really love the guitar tones on Eternity and She Showed Me Love.  I really do miss Poncho though.  Nils is great, but it’s just not the same.

Glad that I'm not the only one enjoying this album! Some great stuff on there, a bit of a late career classic. Although Psychedelic Pill was the same - that's a fantastic record. But yes, it's not the same without Poncho. He really locks in so tight with Neil. Love Nils but it's not the same band anymore!
    goldrush said:
    static111 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Colorado is really growing on me the past week. Didn't put much time into it when it was delivered but I've given it a few spins lately and it's a great album. "Green Is Blue" is a fantastic song. In fact, lots of surprisingly great songs here.
    Colorado is great.  Shut It Down and help me lose my mind are great to crank.  The only song I don’t really get into is the  first song on the album.  I really enjoy it and I really love the guitar tones on Eternity and She Showed Me Love.  I really do miss Poncho though.  Nils is great, but it’s just not the same.
    Shut It Down is great. There’s a really cool scene in the Mountaintop movie where Neil, Billy and Nils are completely locked into the riff. It just makes you want to turn it all the way up!

I am dying to see that Mountaintop movie but cant find it anywhere. Seems like it was on a very limited run. I don't suppose you have any tips on where to find it?
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?
    I found it for $70 at Acoustic Sounds.  That's neither a great nor terrible deal for four records and a box. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?
    I found it for $70 at Acoustic Sounds.  That's neither a great nor terrible deal for four records and a box. 
    Must be so weird for you living in a country where you will pay 39 dollars less than I will have to for it. Haha. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?
    Must be so weird for you living in a country where you will pay 39 dollars less than I will have to for it. Haha. 

That's not the deluxe, with the DVD and 2 cds. That is between 90 to 100. Which one were you pricing?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?

That's not the deluxe, with the DVD and 2 cds. That is between 90 to 100. Which one were you pricing?
    The ordinary one is 900 SEK here. 

• Options
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?
    $62

i was hoping for a download/mp3 care included. The vinyl sounds incredible though. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?

That’s the trade off between living in the USA versus Sweden. You get government provided healthcare, we get Neil Young records for a low price.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Post edited by LukinFan on
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Edved82 said:
    static111 said:
    Edved82 said:

Glad that I'm not the only one enjoying this album! Some great stuff on there, a bit of a late career classic. Although Psychedelic Pill was the same - that's a fantastic record. But yes, it's not the same without Poncho. He really locks in so tight with Neil. Love Nils but it's not the same band anymore!
    goldrush said:
    static111 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Shut It Down is great. There’s a really cool scene in the Mountaintop movie where Neil, Billy and Nils are completely locked into the riff. It just makes you want to turn it all the way up!

I am dying to see that Mountaintop movie but cant find it anywhere. Seems like it was on a very limited run. I don't suppose you have any tips on where to find it?
    It pops up in the Hearse Theatre every now and then, I think that’s still the only place you can see it

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    How much did you pay?

That’s the trade off between living in the USA versus Sweden. You get government provided healthcare, we get Neil Young records for a low price.
    Well, if there is one year to pause being a humane nation and instead get cheap vinyl it is this one, if you look at Neils release schedule. 2021 - THE YEAR OF THE HORSE! :)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Edved82 said:
    static111 said:
    Edved82 said:

goldrush said:
    static111 said:
    Edved82 said:

It pops up in the Hearse Theatre every now and then, I think that’s still the only place you can see it
    Appreciate it. Thanks!

• Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,820
    FYI Archives Vol II is now available on Amazon Music Unlimited.

On another note, I listened to my Tuscaloosa vinyl again last night and I came away disappointed. After having listened to the Greendale Live and Rust Bucket vinyl recently, I just can't help be realize that the sound on Tuscaloosa is just not up to snuff with his other releases. It sounds a bit harsh to my ears, plus the kick drum is so heavy it almost pops in some places. I love the set, I love that time period for Neil, I just wish it *sounded* better. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Okey, seems my MAssey Hall was to god to be true and it will not show up.

SO - Should I buy RETURN TO GREENDALE or WAY INTO TO THE RUST BUCKET vinyl?
  • Options

What happened to Massey?  IMO, that's the best sounding record Neil has ever released, to say nothing of the actual performance.  Definitely in the top 1% of my collection overall.

I'd go Rust Bucket personally...But I love Ragged Glory.  Big difference in price and # of records though.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

They're both great, but Rust Bucket is really great stuff. And a fantastic pressing. One of the best sounding vinyls I own. Great job by Neil and the team.
  • Options

Rust Bucket
  • Options
    Or pick up Young Shakespeare in a few weeks. Its a great show as well and took place just after Massey. Same vibe and all.

• Options
    My question is, I have the Massey CD/DVD set. Do I need to order Shakespeare on DVD (I have the LP ordered).

Massey has more songs I believe, but Shakespeare has 1 or 2 different cuts.

• Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,820
    I also cannot decide if I should get Shakespeare. Probably will wait awhile and grab it later on after it drops a few bucks on Amazon as it usually will
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    I usually buy the live records right away (maybe 3-4 exceptions), but every studio record from Neil after Le Noise I've waited about a year or 2 to pick up and I pay no more than $10-$15 for it. 

Just set up a camelcamelcamel for it on Amazon. I got Earth and Psychedelic Pill for about $20 each.

• Options
    My question is, I have the Massey CD/DVD set. Do I need to order Shakespeare on DVD (I have the LP ordered).

Massey has more songs I believe, but Shakespeare has 1 or 2 different cuts.

The footage they used for the Massey DVD is actually from the Shakespeare show, so you technically already own it. There was no video footage of Massey Hall available.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ha. Hilarious
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The new NYA tiers have been announced:

I’m a little torn between the upgrades. 

On the one hand, ‘Rust’ should be a no-brainer, but it’s a big jump from ‘Rust’ to ‘Patron’.

On the other hand... who knows what the Patron Extras might be? The fear of missing out on something is driving me crazy! 
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)