Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I like Rye.  I drink Bulleit rye and use rye for manhattan's.  Can anyone speak to MPG and the differences between the various rye's made in that factory? I know they make basically every Rye on the shelf, at various price points, so I am curious if there is actually much of a difference and if so, are those differences just blending and such?  Like I am sure there are plenty of differences between ages, but I am sure you could find a two 12 years at very different price points.  Is there a difference?

Tough to see how so many "companies" could make different rye coming from the exact same mass distiller.
    Different times putting it in the barrel.  Different wood for the barrel.  Different methods of distilling.  Temperature that it ages at.

Lots of different factors go into it.

Buffalo Trace is doing something unique and exploring how and if slight differences can really alter the end taste.

Here is a great article but will most likely be hard to find at first.
    https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/buffalo-trace-aims-to-explore-all-things-oak-in-new-bourbon-series/
    I get that a lot of different factors go into it, but when these companies are buying stuff from this massive factory and just branding it on their own, are they really doing that much different?  I guess the point is, if you are buying an rye from that is made by this Indiana, is a bottle like Bulleit likely 95% as good as something with a $50 tag?
  • I like Rye.  I drink Bulleit rye and use rye for manhattan's.  Can anyone speak to MPG and the differences between the various rye's made in that factory? I know they make basically every Rye on the shelf, at various price points, so I am curious if there is actually much of a difference and if so, are those differences just blending and such?  Like I am sure there are plenty of differences between ages, but I am sure you could find a two 12 years at very different price points.  Is there a difference?

Tough to see how so many "companies" could make different rye coming from the exact same mass distiller.
    Different times putting it in the barrel.  Different wood for the barrel.  Different methods of distilling.  Temperature that it ages at.

Lots of different factors go into it.

Buffalo Trace is doing something unique and exploring how and if slight differences can really alter the end taste.

Here is a great article but will most likely be hard to find at first.
    https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/buffalo-trace-aims-to-explore-all-things-oak-in-new-bourbon-series/
    I get that a lot of different factors go into it, but when these companies are buying stuff from this massive factory and just branding it on their own, are they really doing that much different?  I guess the point is, if you are buying an rye from that is made by this Indiana, is a bottle like Bulleit likely 95% as good as something with a $50 tag?
    Got it.

People say that about Pappy.  It's overpriced and not as good as some of the other bourbons out here.
  • I got to try the William Larue Weller Barrel proof today. 

Very hot. Few drops of water and BOOM. 

Amazing. 

Also picked up these two today. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Tried out Woodford Rye last night. It'd be a task for me to drink a whole drink of it, but I like it.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

Pappy Van Winkle tasting
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ 15, 20 and 23? 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ 15, 20 and 23? 
    You got it!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    bflynn1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ 15, 20 and 23? 
    You got it!
    Awesome! Well...what did you think? 
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ 15, 20 and 23? 
    You got it!
    Delicious! But I'll never buy any bottles of my own haha
    bflynn1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ 15, 20 and 23? 
    You got it!
    Delicious! But I'll never buy any bottles of my own haha
    Not a bad decision. Did one stand out from the rest? 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    No words necessary....

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    ^^ what did that cost you?
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• No words necessary....

You always find the nicest of things!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Not mine
    1 of 822 (I think)
    $2,500 retail (roughly)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Not mine
    1 of 822 (I think)
    $2,500 retail (roughly)
    Same person as the opus one? You have a friend who drinks well

Had a pour of Yellow Spot yesterday at the hipster bar. (Top, right of the divider). So good! $10 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    About 750 ml of Woodford tonight. Feeling gooooood!
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Picked up a bottle last week. Going to open it with some friends this weekend.

DavidD said:

Damn, I bet that's tasty!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    DavidD said:

I have a few bottles that I’m saving for friends. Problem is that I have more bottles than I do friends. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    DavidD said:

I have a few bottles that I’m saving for friends. Problem is that I have more bottles than I do friends. 
    That's not a bad problem to have.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    dankind said:
    DavidD said:

I'm not surprised by this statement at all...

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    DavidD said:

I'm not surprised by this statement at all...

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    DavidD said:

word.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

as in, you drank the whole bottle? :tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Wobbie said:

as in, you drank the whole bottle? :tired_face:
    Just about the whole bottle. In my drunken stupor, I overestimated how much I drank. There's probably 100 ml or so left. Needless to say, this morning was pretty rough.
    whoa.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436

Any thoughts on this juice?
    considering getting a bottle or I might just spend the money on another bottle of the woodford cherry wood smoked barley. Sooooo nice!!
    DavidD said:

Any thoughts on this juice?
    considering getting a bottle or I might just spend the money on another bottle of the woodford cherry wood smoked barley. Sooooo nice!!
    I have it. Cool bottle. Cool box. Plenty of better bourbon for the money out there though.