Tomorrows the 10th

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Hey, you can do whatever you want. Buy 50 copies for all I care.

I'm just saying, I don't get it.

I get what you're saying. I just don't get what is "sad" about extra copies (that wasn't you that said it, but what I was originally commenting on). I don't see unplayed extra copies as sad, anyone who wanted one had their chance.
    I also don't get buying a single copy and keeping it sealed. If you collect vinyl, spin it.
    The "sad" part is that there are plenty of people out there now who would love an OG (doesn't matter why they didn't get one when it was released), and they can't find it at all because someone has 10 sealed copies of it on a shelf doing nothing. Fewer people are able to find and then spin and enjoy the record. Pretty simple. Anyway, i don't see why anyone would still be holding onto a ton of spares. The market is only going down now. Sell sell sell.
    See, that's where I disagree. I assume most who are in that boat are just jumping in on the vinyl bandwagon.
    I hate the vinyl bandwagon, I owned Vitalogy on vinyl before I got it on CD, and I was in the 7th grade. But this silly bandwagon has made it so expensive I just don't feel bad for those anymore.
    I didn't buy certain albums, like RVM and Benny because at the time, as a poor college student, I didn't have the $60 to fork out at the time on a record and never imagined the prices would jump like they did.
    I don't understand why you think "jumping on the vinyl bandwagon" is a bad thing to you, to the point where you don't think they deserve getting the album even though it's otherwise sitting on a shelf doing nothing. :lol: Isn't "jumping on the vinyl bandwagon" just a really negative way of saying "they finally discovered vinyl and are trying to catch up"?? Why do you seem to have something against people who realize they want to turn to or go back to vinyl? And why is the resurgence of vinyl silly?
    Not to the point where they don't deserve the album. But to the point where I don't feel sorry for anyone.
    Lets me be clear, it isn't a negative way of saying "they finally discovered vinyl." It's a negative way of saying "you're only buying vinyl because it is now the cool thing to do." And it makes me, who doesn't care that it was cool because I literally remember being made fun of for buying records and not CDs in the 8th grade, pay more for it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Hey, you can do whatever you want. Buy 50 copies for all I care.

I'm just saying, I don't get it.

I get what you're saying. I just don't get what is "sad" about extra copies (that wasn't you that said it, but what I was originally commenting on). I don't see unplayed extra copies as sad, anyone who wanted one had their chance.
    I also don't get buying a single copy and keeping it sealed. If you collect vinyl, spin it.
    The "sad" part is that there are plenty of people out there now who would love an OG (doesn't matter why they didn't get one when it was released), and they can't find it at all because someone has 10 sealed copies of it on a shelf doing nothing. Fewer people are able to find and then spin and enjoy the record. Pretty simple. Anyway, i don't see why anyone would still be holding onto a ton of spares. The market is only going down now. Sell sell sell.
    See, that's where I disagree. I assume most who are in that boat are just jumping in on the vinyl bandwagon.
    I hate the vinyl bandwagon, I owned Vitalogy on vinyl before I got it on CD, and I was in the 7th grade. But this silly bandwagon has made it so expensive I just don't feel bad for those anymore.
    I didn't buy certain albums, like RVM and Benny because at the time, as a poor college student, I didn't have the $60 to fork out at the time on a record and never imagined the prices would jump like they did.
    I don't understand why you think "jumping on the vinyl bandwagon" is a bad thing to you, to the point where you don't think they deserve getting the album even though it's otherwise sitting on a shelf doing nothing. :lol: Isn't "jumping on the vinyl bandwagon" just a really negative way of saying "they finally discovered vinyl and are trying to catch up"?? Why do you seem to have something against people who realize they want to turn to or go back to vinyl? And why is the resurgence of vinyl silly?
    Not to the point where they don't deserve the album. But to the point where I don't feel sorry for anyone.
    Lets me be clear, it isn't a negative way of saying "they finally discovered vinyl." It's a negative way of saying "you're only buying vinyl because it is now the cool thing to do." And it makes me, who doesn't care that it was cool because I literally remember being made fun of for buying records and not CDs in the 8th grade, pay more for it.
    In that case, why do you seem to just assume that if they're doing it now they must be just doing it because it's cool? I'm sure there are people like that out there.... I've never met any of them though.
    And I don't care about people paying MORE for them either. I do kinda care that items are being needlessly withheld from the market altogether though. I thought that was what we're talking about. I don't like vinyl hoarders - those who have multiple copies for no good reason besides compulsion. Not now that the prices have fallen off.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited February 2019
    I think the vinyl bandwagon days are behind us. Having also bought vinyl since Vitalogy, I've seen the market demand move up and down in 25 years. Yeah, 4-5 years ago, there was some bandwagoning, now I think its people genuinely enjoy it. To what levels its enjoyed, well thats up for debate, but I don't think people are buying LPs just to have something to talk about when they have people over for cocktails. Yeah, a few years ago when Urban Outfitters brought it in and Target was selling tables, sure. Now I think people want tangible in an age where everything is digital and in a cloud.

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    If you don’t like people hanging onto scores of unopen vinyl, then there must be a lot of things you don’t like about the world we live in.  It occurs in every corner of society, if it can be stored, someone somewhere has a lot of it for whatever reason.  I’ll throw out my opinion even though it’s like a butthole, but people can do whatever the hell they want, it’s their life and their money and I’m cool with it.

and as far as the value of these things, it comes and goes.  It may be down now, but wait 20 years, who knows.  People do strange things with their money.

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    If you don’t like people hanging onto scores of unopen vinyl, then there must be a lot of things you don’t like about the world we live in.  It occurs in every corner of society, if it can be stored, someone somewhere has a lot of it for whatever reason.  I’ll throw out my opinion even though it’s like a butthole, but people can do whatever the hell they want, it’s their life and their money and I’m cool with it.

and as far as the value of these things, it comes and goes.  It may be down now, but wait 20 years, who knows.  People do strange things with their money.

The only thing that bothers me about your comment is your avatar 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

I'm pretty sure it's universally understood that our opinions on a message board don't serve to tell people what they can and can't do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I think the vinyl bandwagon days are behind us. Having also bought vinyl since Vitalogy, I've seen the market demand move up and down in 25 years. Yeah, 4-5 years ago, there was some bandwagoning, now I think its people genuinely enjoy it. To what levels its enjoyed, well thats up for debate, but I don't think people are buying LPs just to have something to talk about when they have people over for cocktails. Yeah, a few years ago when Urban Outfitters brought it in and Target was selling tables, sure. Now I think people want tangible in an age where everything is digital and in a cloud.

I thought it might be on a decline as well, but haven't seen enough of a decline to be convinced. And it isnt just vinyl, a lot of the posters I've kept an eye on are selling for half the price as they were just a couple years ago. I don't know if they are connected and anything to do with the music industry is declining, or just PJ stuff or what.
    But to PJ's point, there definitely were a lot who were into vinyl because of the fad. As you pointed out, even Urban Outfitters got in the game. It was definitely the cool thing to do. I just don't see how the explosion in popularity in vinyl can be explained by anything other than a fad. Not everyone of course, but something doesn't get this popular this fast without a large portion of it being just a fad.
    And I'll be honest, I have never heard the difference, I Just enjoy it. I like things the old-fashioned way, the act of flipping a record, dropping the arm down, etc. Its part of the fun to me. I'll never buy a pellet BBQ for the same reason, I buy fireplace size pieces of hickory, apple and mesquite and cut it to the size I want and go through the labor of adding wood every 45 minutes when I smoke some pork or brisket.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    mace1229 said:

I thought it might be on a decline as well, but haven't seen enough of a decline to be convinced. And it isnt just vinyl, a lot of the posters I've kept an eye on are selling for half the price as they were just a couple years ago. I don't know if they are connected and anything to do with the music industry is declining, or just PJ stuff or what.
    But to PJ's point, there definitely were a lot who were into vinyl because of the fad. As you pointed out, even Urban Outfitters got in the game. It was definitely the cool thing to do. I just don't see how the explosion in popularity in vinyl can be explained by anything other than a fad. Not everyone of course, but something doesn't get this popular this fast without a large portion of it being just a fad.
    And I'll be honest, I have never heard the difference, I Just enjoy it. I like things the old-fashioned way, the act of flipping a record, dropping the arm down, etc. Its part of the fun to me. I'll never buy a pellet BBQ for the same reason, I buy fireplace size pieces of hickory, apple and mesquite and cut it to the size I want and go through the labor of adding wood every 45 minutes when I smoke some pork or brisket.
    anything that catches a fire will have an element of fad to it, but there is more to the resurgence than simply fad.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    I finally got a record player and this is the first hobby I've had that isn't running or writing in years. It's just fun. I actually like the sound. Bandwagon? Sure. But it's fun trading my old stuff for records. It's fun trying to find the stuff I had on cd on vinyl. I like going in record stores and flipping through the used section like I used to do in bookstores. It's a hobby; if it was a side business or a way of life then it would be weird but it's just a bunch of like minded people into music and trading stuff. To me, that's fun. But I'm oldish. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    mace1229 said:

I would argue that records sound better and real firewood smoked brisket and shoulder taste better.   :)

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    This could be the month...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

for what? 
    - RSD
    - 2018 Bootleg Box
    - Ohana Fest
    - Contest

• EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 473
    - 2016 and 2018 singles...
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 401
    - New album
    - Lost Dogs reissue, vinyl
    - Lost Dogs 2
    - Mystery Box
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    - RSD
    - 2018 Bootleg Box
    - Ohana Fest
    - Contest

That’s a solid guess.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Enzed said:
    - 2016 and 2018 singles...
    :lol:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    mfc2006 said:
    - RSD
    - 2018 Bootleg Box
    - Ohana Fest
    - Contest

That’s a solid guess.
    Agreed... it’s probably spot on.  But I’m hoping for something that will get us excited.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    If they don't make a tour or show announcement will it be too late for this year? 
    I miss igotid88
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited March 2019
    2018 boxset announcement would be GREAT!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    i'm going with:
    nothing
    donate to something
    donate to something again
    contest; $4 off in the store
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    derbydave said:
    2018 boxset announcement would be GREAT!!
    That would be really GREAT ,I COULD finnally listen to a live Cd of the shows we attended and have that nice box with my others

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    igotid88 said:
    If they don't make a tour or show announcement will it be too late for this year? 
    No. I'd start worrying by May/June.

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    NewJPage said:
    rummy said:
    Vinyl isn't made for live albums. 

Maybe shorter compilations. 

But not 3h shows.
    Does flipping the record interrupt the flow? I would guess it would.

It does. With the current vaults, you get one side uninterrupted, then two in a row, then another two...so on.

I'd prefer:
    D/E
    C/F
    B/G
    A/H

This would allow one stack of all records with one "big flip" midway through and no need to adjust the stack.
    That seems redundant.  You're still lifting a disc off the table and putting one back on.

Ha!

Not to mention the potential issue of the master source. If it was recorded digitally, it wouldn't be better than the CD...but I'd imagine most of the vaults are that way.
    Recorded digitally does not mean recorded at cd quality 

That's not really what I meant. If something is a digital recording, is there much difference between a FLAC, CD or record?

Now if it's a true analog recording on a record, the soundwave is pressed into the vinyl and amplifed, like most stuff from the 50s-70s. If it's a digital method, that soundwave is lost. It's been said that Backspacer was recorded digitally.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    edited March 2019
    NewJPage said:
    rummy said:
    Vinyl isn't made for live albums. 

Maybe shorter compilations. 

But not 3h shows.
    Does flipping the record interrupt the flow? I would guess it would.

It does. With the current vaults, you get one side uninterrupted, then two in a row, then another two...so on.

I'd prefer:
    D/E
    C/F
    B/G
    A/H

This would allow one stack of all records with one "big flip" midway through and no need to adjust the stack.
    That seems redundant.  You're still lifting a disc off the table and putting one back on.

Ha!

Not to mention the potential issue of the master source. If it was recorded digitally, it wouldn't be better than the CD...but I'd imagine most of the vaults are that way.
    Recorded digitally does not mean recorded at cd quality 

That's not really what I meant. If something is a digital recording, is there much difference between a FLAC, CD or record?

Now if it's a true analog recording on a record, the soundwave is pressed into the vinyl and amplifed, like most stuff from the 50s-70s. If it's a digital method, that soundwave is lost. It's been said that Backspacer was recorded digitally.
    Ofc there is a difference. Digital recoding can be of as high fidelity as you want.

All their records since S/T (or even earlier?) has gone from digital to wax. Like de facto all artists.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    - RSD
    - 2018 Bootleg Box
    - Ohana Fest
    - Contest
    Guessing that too plus EV Innings Fest poster up for sale.
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    edited March 2019
    2018 box set
    A list of shows eV is doing
    Contest to win a boxset or something i really want and ,i wont win
    Thats all folks

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    - New single from forthcoming album
    - Album name
    - Eddie shows
    -   Pearl Jam asian tour in the fall
    - 2017 Christmas single (with Christmas songs on it)

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
     Lottery for Shamrock shake coupons for members who joined as of 3/01/19.