Post your stereo system!

Comments

• From what I have read on these there are plenty of parts to fix these, so that is good.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    From what I have read on these there are plenty of parts to fix these, so that is good.
    Good luck then.  If it's cleaned, and get it working properly, I bet you can get $350 easy for it.. presuming it's in great shape.  A CR-1020 sold in less than a day just last week, for $500.  It was mint though.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    From what I have read on these there are plenty of parts to fix these, so that is good.
    Good luck then.  If it's cleaned, and get it working properly, I bet you can get $350 easy for it.. presuming it's in great shape.  A CR-1020 sold in less than a day just last week, for $500.  It was mint though.  
    It's a nice looking piece.  Not sure what is wrong with it though.

The 1020 is the bigger model.  Everything I have read about these are that they are great workhorses and get overlooked all the time.
    mrussel1 said:

The 1020 is the bigger model.  Everything I have read about these are that they are great workhorses and get overlooked all the time.
    right, 55 wpc vs 70.  Now I think $500 is at the top end of the price, but if you get yours actually serviced and decide to sell, you can absolutely be in that 350 to 400 range.  The one I saw was not recapped or serviced, just deoxit on the pots.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

right, 55 wpc vs 70.  Now I think $500 is at the top end of the price, but if you get yours actually serviced and decide to sell, you can absolutely be in that 350 to 400 range.  The one I saw was not recapped or serviced, just deoxit on the pots.  
    I've also read that deoxit goes a long way on these.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

hell yeah...  I was losing the left channel on my Pioneer.  I was able to determine that it was the mono/stereo switch that was causing the issue, as it was at the end of the chain.  I ended up deoxing all the pots and switches, followed by a dose of the gold too.  Not a crackle since then.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to hit all of your pots and switches before you send in for repair.  It's low likelihood, but who knows.. maybe there is a terrible contact or residue issue and you might just clean it up.  
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    After checking and rechecking connections, Deoxit is the next step for me. All pots, switches, speaker terminals, RCAs......you name it. They all get cleaned.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Do you have any pics of the Yamaha?
  • dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Do you have any pics of the Yamaha?
    It's nothing exciting...
    I was just wondering what the positions of the controls were when you had it hooked up.

No worries.
  • dudeman said:
    I was just wondering what the positions of the controls were when you had it hooked up.

No worries.
    I actually tried every position it had...

I put it on tape 1, Speker A, Tape 1 Speaker B and so on...
    I gave the marantz a facelift. 

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:

Holy shit!!!! Awesome! Is that one of a kind?? Nice work!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:

Holy shit!!!! Awesome! Is that one of a kind?? Nice work!
    Ha, no I don't think so.  I found someone that manufactured these, over on Audio Karma.  My silver had some marring, so I got this.  It was more work than you would expect to replace, but not difficult...just intricate work.   I don't like black components normally, but I like the silver offset.  
    Did you have to use your existing tuning meter lens or did the replacement come with one? Also, are you planning on doing anything to the woodgrain vinyl on the metal case? I've seen pictures of them that had the vinyl removed and the case powder coated. 

Either way, yours looks great. Nice job!

dudeman said:
    Did you have to use your existing tuning meter lens or did the replacement come with one? Also, are you planning on doing anything to the woodgrain vinyl on the metal case? I've seen pictures of them that had the vinyl removed and the case powder coated. 

Either way, yours looks great. Nice job!

No, I used the existing one.  The hardest part of the job was removing the lens from the original faceplate and the material that connected them.  If I broke or cracked that...well then total disaster.  But patience and a sharp blade took care of it.  Now I re-adhered using some heat resistant 1/4inch tape, so switching in the future will be easy.  
    I'm definitely taking care of the hideous wood grain.  I'm either going to build a wood case (I have the specs) or strip the vinyl off and take it to a shop to powdercoat it black.  Probably the latter, but not sure yet.  Right now it's in a cabinet so  you can't see the vinyl, but the perfectionist in me will get there at some point.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I got some beautiful walnut speaker stands.

My HPM's look great jacked up!
    We need pictures!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2019
    Someone sort of local is giving away a Dual 701 and a Pioneer QX-949A. 

Man, I don’t own four speakers nor do I possess a single quadraphonic record. I also have a superior Dual. But I’ll be damned if I’m not tempted to take these things. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Man, I don’t own four speakers nor do I
    possess a single quadrophonic record. I also have a superior Dual. But I’ll be damned if I’m not tempted to take these things. 
    Are you kidding? Go get that dual!  Why not??
    Send it to me!  I'd love to check out a vintage TT
    edited March 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Send it to me!  I'd love to check out a vintage TT
    I wouldn’t even try to ship a turntable. You’d just have to head up. 

Bring four speakers. And some mescaline. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2019
    Bring some mescaline? 

Where is "up"?
    I'd pick those up for sure. Nice gear for free? Yes, please.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mrussel1 said:
    Bring some mescaline? 

Where is "up"?
    Yes, I read somewhere that quadraphonic sound and psychedelic drugs go together like ramma lamma lamma ka dinga da dinga dong.

Assachewshits.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Seriously, just watch this thing.

https://youtu.be/1eb961nWa48
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Man, I don’t own four speakers nor do I possess a single quadraphonic record. I also have a superior Dual. But I’ll be damned if I’m not tempted to take these things. 
    I'll take the Pioneer!!! Is it free? I have four speakers to hook up!!!! I can pay for shipping.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    dankind said:

I'll take the Pioneer!!! Is it free? I have four speakers to hook up!!!! I can pay for shipping.
    That thing has gotta weigh around 50 pounds, if not more. Sorry, man. I wouldn't even attempt to ship any kind of hi-fi equipment, especially one as complex as this particular piece of equipment.

I drafted an "I'll take it!" email, but I haven't hit send yet. It feels like this thing could wind up being a multiyear project if I were to take it. The guy is also giving away a reel-to-reel.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

That thing has gotta weigh around 50 pounds, if not more. Sorry, man. I wouldn't even attempt to ship any kind of hi-fi equipment, especially one as complex as this particular piece of equipment.

I drafted an "I'll take it!" email, but I haven't hit send yet. It feels like this thing could wind up being a multiyear project if I were to take it. The guy is also giving away a reel-to-reel.
    HIT SEND FOR GOD'S SAKE!  I shipped this kind of equipment before. Hell, even UPS did a good job for me.
    10-16-2014 Detroit