The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    bbiggs said:
    I think it would be great to watch these guys play with persimmon drivers and balata balls. The playing field is already so level because of the athleticism and training regimens that followed Tiger’s greatness. It would bring back some of the “thinking man’s game” element. No more high 320 yard carry bombs cutting off dog legs. 
    Played with a guy I work with a couple years ago who used his grandfathers permission driver. I hit my drive on 18 and it is one of my favorite shots I have ever hit. 200+ dead down the middle. Felt every bit of it. Such a different feel 
    Do you like 2018 Formula 1 or 1970's NASCAR?  2018 Formula 1 is won by engineers staring at a screen and 1970's NASCAR was won by people driving harder than the next.  Overly simplistic but point is what is the fun in just leaving everything up to science and launch monitors.  Golf is getting more and more boring each year to watch on tv as  technology in my opinion is ruining the pro game (I'll take the extra yards with my driver to hit it a whopping 250 yards). 
    How would launch monitors ruin the game?  I’ll agree technology is hurting the sport, but it’s the ball and driver that are making historic courses irrelevant with bomb and gouge. Though the fairway bunkers were very much in play this week. 

I am not bryson’s biggest fan. The protractors and coefficient of restitution stuff is a little much for me, and while I don’t think his swing is pretty, the single length clubs and swing are pretty genius.

The ProV 1 is a significantly bigger threat to pro golf than the trackman 

Yeah, I'm not saying Trackman is ruining the game, but is just part of the technology.  Who wouldn't try to build as much speed as possible with the driver and then spend hours with a Trackman honing in their 70-130 yard wedge?  The technology making it easier to do that (Trackman), the golf club technology and the biggest culprit (golf ball) are in my opinion making the game boring.  The players are much, much better now (they all have entourages that help with swing, health and mental game) so you can't knock the results, but I just think it all combines to a much more dull game to watch.  We either need to dial back the golf ball or change the courses to focus more on accuracy and penalize wild tee shots with more hazards/excessive rough. 

Then again, we only see the players playing well every week on tv and not the players getting cut or that are 10 shots back. 

I’m with you. I’m all about bringing the golf ball back. 

When the USGA penalizes with brutal rough they get butchered by the million dollar babies 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bbiggs said:
    I think it would be great to watch these guys play with persimmon drivers and balata balls. The playing field is already so level because of the athleticism and training regimens that followed Tiger’s greatness. It would bring back some of the “thinking man’s game” element. No more high 320 yard carry bombs cutting off dog legs. 
    Played with a guy I work with a couple years ago who used his grandfathers permission driver. I hit my drive on 18 and it is one of my favorite shots I have ever hit. 200+ dead down the middle. Felt every bit of it. Such a different feel 
    It really is a cool feel when you hit one pure. I used to use a persimmon driver when I was a young kid. Granted, that was just whacking golf balls in a field, but I remember it vividly. 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    It really is a cool feel when you hit one pure. I used to use a persimmon driver when I was a young kid. Granted, that was just whacking golf balls in a field, but I remember it vividly. 
    Hell yeah. Love it 
    Hideki with a wood 230 over water from sand 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    That's why I play blade irons. Love that buttery smooth feel. 
    Justin Rose continues to win on big boy courses 
    bflynn1 said:
    Yep. Mine aren’t true blades but I play Mizuno (MP-54) for that same reason. 
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    I play Titleist 690MB's but yeah Mizuno makes excellent irons as well. I had some 68's. 
    bflynn1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    I play Titleist 690MB's but yeah Mizuno makes excellent irons as well. I had some 68's. 
    You’re playing big boy blades. Mine are wannabe blades. Lol. But I still love em. 
    I couldn’t hit those titleists if my life depended on it
    I couldn’t hit those titleists if my life depended on it
    They’re for serious players. That’s for sure. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Justin Rose continues to win on big boy courses 
    He's awesome.  With all new clubs too...pretty impressive.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Love the Waste Management. Wish Tiger was there though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    He's never playing this one again.  Especially after the 80, in the rain, after a massive night of partying for yours truly with my brother who I hadn't seen in a while, super bowl weekend in phoenix, sleeping for maaaaybe an hour or so, then watching him blade chip after chip in the rain.

I am an old grumpy man, but this tournament gets on my nerves now.  Jumped the shark and I feel like the waste management is the root of everyone screaming after every shot at every tournament.
    I still like it but I call it The Wasted Mismanagement
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    tiger doesn't like fun, unless it involves perkins' waitresses.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Wobbie said:
    Not true. He likes having fun being the best golfer ever.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Wobbie said:
    Not true. He likes having fun being the best golfer ever.

yeah, he just exudes joy.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yeah, sometimes he does.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Yeah, sometimes he does.

man....lookit those steroid arms!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, sometimes he does.

So you have made reference to his character and "steroid arms".

And you're an Urban Meyer guy and a Barry Bonds guy. Mmmkay. 

I'm not saying he's (TW) a good guy or not. Or a steroid user or not. But I do find it trollish when you knock someone for these things, yet support others with the same flaws. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, sometimes he does.

I'm not saying he's (TW) a good guy or not. Or a steroid user or not. But I do find it trollish when you knock someone for these things, yet support others with the same flaws. 
    Trolls gonna troll. 
    So when it was -2 out I was receiving emails from golf courses saying they would be open this weekend with the 50 degree weather.  Crazy.
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, sometimes he does.

Trolls gonna troll. 
    Yessir! 
    So when it was -2 out I was receiving emails from golf courses saying they would be open this weekend with the 50 degree weather.  Crazy.
    A day golf trip down to southern Indiana sounds decent about now. Way too much snow here for them to open anything local yet. Probably even after Monday.
    Just saw Cameron Champ just take driver-8 iron on a 560 par 5.  I am going to watch the four Majors and the Players and that is it.   Done with watching pro golf at this point. 
    Just saw Cameron Champ just take driver-8 iron on a 560 par 5.  I am going to watch the four Majors and the Players and that is it.   Done with watching pro golf at this point. 
    What's the big deal about that? I could do it with a driver and a 9 iron....and a combined 5 strokes on a good day.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:
    So he banged a Perkins waitress or two in his day. Who cares? This really bothers you? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Sergio is such a disrespectful little bitch