Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093

Phil surging near the lead at Augusta on the back nine Sunday? Talk about a muted response, saw a ton of folded arms in the crowd after some of his big birdies yesterday. The Saudis are destroying the US tour, and Mickelson is their main lap dog. Disgusting.

I did hear listening to a podcast after that Phil got a decent amount of love out there yesterday, but that birdie on 18 seemed VERY muted. They showed the replay looking back over the crowd and there wasn't a huge response whereas in years past it would have been a stereotypical Augusta roar. 
    I was watching at my wife's aunt's house. About six of us were watching golf all day and all of us were actively rooting against all the liv guys
    I had forgot that Phil is on the LIV tour.  It was weird seeing him in a PGA event.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    Awesome win by Rahm.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605

Phil surging near the lead at Augusta on the back nine Sunday? Talk about a muted response, saw a ton of folded arms in the crowd after some of his big birdies yesterday. The Saudis are destroying the US tour, and Mickelson is their main lap dog. Disgusting.

I did hear listening to a podcast after that Phil got a decent amount of love out there yesterday, but that birdie on 18 seemed VERY muted. They showed the replay looking back over the crowd and there wasn't a huge response whereas in years past it would have been a stereotypical Augusta roar. 
    I was watching at my wife's aunt's house. About six of us were watching golf all day and all of us were actively rooting against all the liv guys
    Kevin Van Valkenberg was saying that it was 70/30 in favor of Rahm over Brooks, which is pretty wild
  • Options
    I loved that masters, felt like the longest tournament ever with the marathon days, but that was fun. Glad rahm won. 
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,013
    Zalatoris out for the year.  Back surgery over the weekend. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    edited April 2023
    JojoRice said:
    Zalatoris out for the year.  Back surgery over the weekend. 
    Can’t be all that surprising.  Getting that much distance out of a small frame.  Hopefully he can still be successful going forward.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Mental health break for McIlroy?  Can’t imagine the pressure he must feel.  
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    That's pretty weak from Rory.  Dude was playing great coming into the masters, then shits the bed and WDs from an elevated event the next week.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747
    That's pretty weak from Rory.  Dude was playing great coming into the masters, then shits the bed and WDs from an elevated event the next week.
    I loved how he's been promoted as "the face" of the Tour, and he's made fun of LIV for being exhibition golf (which is fair enough), but then when playing under the exact same conditions as Koepka in rounds 1 and 2 of the Masters, Koepka beat him by SEVENTEEN STROKES. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Last august through October I had the best driving stretch since I was a kid, out of nowhere. Played rounds with legit good players and either kept up with them off the tee, or we were taking my shots in scrambles.

Played today for the first time since the fall. Long gone. One good drive on the day and drove it through the fairway. Fuck this game.

The new Scotty phantom is absolute fire though. 
  • Options
    Last august through October I had the best driving stretch since I was a kid, out of nowhere. Played rounds with legit good players and either kept up with them off the tee, or we were taking my shots in scrambles.

Played today for the first time since the fall. Long gone. One good drive on the day and drove it through the fairway. Fuck this game.

It's a great game!  My driver has been pretty good for the past year but I'm completely lost with my irons....just can't find the center of the clubface.  I'm praying for bogeys on par 3s (except for that hole in 1 I somehow pulled out of my ass a couple months ago).  Playing my first round of the season here tomorrow and have no clue what to expect.
  • Options

It's a great game!  My driver has been pretty good for the past year but I'm completely lost with my irons....just can't find the center of the clubface.  I'm praying for bogeys on par 3s (except for that hole in 1 I somehow pulled out of my ass a couple months ago).  Playing my first round of the season here tomorrow and have no clue what to expect.
    How'd it go?
  • Options
    CBS is absolutely pantsing NBC at this point with the broadcast. Getting the masters champ in the booth 7 days later as soon as he walks off the course…awesome 
  • Options
    Dammit. Had spieth to go back to back in one and done pool.

And chill on the hyperbole CBS, pretty sure winning the US Open at the same course he won the US Am is better than this 
  • Options

And chill on the hyperbole CBS, pretty sure winning the US Open at the same course he won the US Am is better than this 
    Haha.  Yeah, that was a stretch saying this win was the best yet.  Maybe sentimental for the family.

Great finish.  Spieth will be rethinking those putts.    Tough to hit them any better than he did without going in.
  • Options

Haha.  Yeah, that was a stretch saying this win was the best yet.  Maybe sentimental for the family.

Great finish.  Spieth will be rethinking those putts.    Tough to hit them any better than he did without going in.
    No idea how the one on 18 didn’t drop 
  • Options

How'd it go?
    Not bad.  Driver was great, irons were OK but putting was awful.  21 putts on the front 9....yikes.  Had a more reasonable 14 putts on the back.  
  • Options
    Harbour Town is awesome.  Love that they made it an elevated event and had all the big dogs out there.  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Are there other sports besides golf where the pros don’t play because the venue doesn’t fit their game?  Pros are soft.  
  • Options
    Xander interviewed with Cantlay about pace of play.  I'm starting to wonder if most pro golfers don't have a brain.  They are talking about taking a lot of time because there is so much money on the line and the courses are difficult.  Hockey, Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc... all require split second decision making and there is a lot of money on the line.  Somehow all of these real athletes let their practice and preparation do the work, but not these pro golfers.   Still can't get over JT talking about the NFL and NBA not making their playing areas larger right before the Masters who buys land every year to extend golf holes to maintain the integrity of the course.  

• Options
    One of his better ones in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpz2T1j_wWA

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    Xander interviewed with Cantlay about pace of play.  I'm starting to wonder if most pro golfers don't have a brain.  They are talking about taking a lot of time because there is so much money on the line and the courses are difficult.  Hockey, Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc... all require split second decision making and there is a lot of money on the line.  Somehow all of these real athletes let their practice and preparation do the work, but not these pro golfers.   Still can't get over JT talking about the NFL and NBA not making their playing areas larger right before the Masters who buys land every year to extend golf holes to maintain the integrity of the course.  

There's no money on the line in those team sports like there is in real, professional golf (excluding liv) where there's no guaranteed salary or anything. Miss a cut, don't get paid. Drop a stroke on 18, you miss out on potentially a million bucks. Cantlay takes way too long, but I think the dynamic is different than how you're laying it out here. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023

There's no money on the line in those team sports like there is in real, professional golf (excluding liv) where there's no guaranteed salary or anything. Miss a cut, don't get paid. Drop a stroke on 18, you miss out on potentially a million bucks. Cantlay takes way too long, but I think the dynamic is different than how you're laying it out here. 
    The dynamic is different only because there isn’t an opponent that is forcing you to act in golf.  Tennis is a sport that pays like golf.  They have to make split second decisions.  Granted, golf has a lot more variables.   In order to get the guaranteed contracts football player have to produce in college and in the NFL by making good split second decisions.

Golf is very exacting and I don’t play the same game the pros do.  I want to hit the green and they want to hit a certain square foot on the green.  Unless the wind is swirling, they know their distances and trajectories and should be able to quickly figure out the play.  If they take longer it is only because they don’t get penalized for it and should.   My point is that they have spent the time during practice, and just like every other sport should be able to act reasonably fast regardless of what point in the tournament it is.   

They have a minimum of about 260 strokes in a tourney.  It isn’t like they are given three chances to make a putt from 20 feet and that is it to make money.

Kooeka plays fast and well.  He should be rewarded for being able to play fast versus someone who overthinks and frustrates viewers and other players.  Set a max time that is reasonable and enforce it.  The Masters took too long.  

• Options
    In golf, one stroke can make the difference between a million dollars though. Other sports, its your career/season that determines your next salary. It's quite different, in my opinion. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Golf is not about being 100% comfortable and committed to every shot no matter how long it takes. Pace of play is just as much a part of golf as self
    policing of the rules. Couldn’t care less if a million is on the line or a stroke determining last place in some public junior tournament, it’s all the same.

Is it fair to you that players who play the speed they should be playing may lose millions because someone’s terrible pace throws them off? 
  • Options
    The PGA tour is littered with golfers that make a great living and never win.  Rory took a week off and knowingly forfeited $3,000,000.  At this point in Cantlay’s career he is set for life.   He is slow because that is his personality and the tour lets him get away with it.  I would rather have an attorney who can think on his feet and get to answers quicker than someone who takes forever to come to the same conclusion but it is too late.  Processing information quickly is a skill that should be rewarded.  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Golf is not about being 100% comfortable and committed to every shot no matter how long it takes. Pace of play is just as much a part of golf as self
    policing of the rules. Couldn’t care less if a million is on the line or a stroke determining last place in some public junior tournament, it’s all the same.

Is it fair to you that players who play the speed they should be playing may lose millions because someone’s terrible pace throws them off? 
    Pace of play is a big problem. Didn't disagree with that. 

Disagree with the notion that all athletes across all sports are in the same position regarding money being on the line. That's not true because every other sport has guaranteed salaries. Golf is a week to week, stroke to stroke thing. If you don't perform you don't get paid. It's part of what makes it unique so I can understand guys wanting to take their time.....some take waaaaaay too much time though.  
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Pace of play is a big problem. Didn't disagree with that. 

Disagree with the notion that all athletes across all sports are in the same position regarding money being on the line. That's not true because every other sport has guaranteed salaries. Golf is a week to week, stroke to stroke thing. If you don't perform you don't get paid. It's part of what makes it unique so I can understand guys wanting to take their time.....some take waaaaaay too much time though.  
    Right I understand why some players may want to, but it’s just not right and should be punished 
  • Options
    Well this happened yesterday.  Clubhead on my 3 iron snapped off as I made contact and went 50 yards down the fairway.  Crazy.

• Options
    Joe LaCava is moving to Cantlay permanently.  Just another sign of what's to come for Tiger, which is a bummer.