Options

2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    jimfishjimfish Detroit Posts: 51
    Here is a comment from Metallica's show in Raleigh this week:  The METALLICA show was staged in the round, with one square stage in the center of the arena floor, and a chair-free floor filled with fans.

How awesome would that be?   Totally different experience.   They "sorta" play in the round now when they turn 180 degrees in an arena and play Last Kiss or other song "to the back".    Everybody is close with in the round seating.  
  • Options
    jimfish said:
    Here is a comment from Metallica's show in Raleigh this week:  The METALLICA show was staged in the round, with one square stage in the center of the arena floor, and a chair-free floor filled with fans.

How awesome would that be?   Totally different experience.   They "sorta" play in the round now when they turn 180 degrees in an arena and play Last Kiss or other song "to the back".    Everybody is close with in the round seating.  
    I'm pretty sure Metallica has been using this type of stage set up on and off since 2004. Drake actually just stole the idea on his last tour. 

It's a great idea in theory, but that stage takes up a lottttt of space if it isn't a stadium. Take a regular arena show and cut that floor attendance by more than half. So instead of everyone in a seat and on the floor, it would be mostly people in a seat, with no option to be on the floor. I can't see that working for most people here. 

That, along with the amount of production and money needed to blast music to all 4 sides of the stage and I just can't see it being worth it. Probably why more artists don't use this type of stage. 
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,572
    I saw Metallica like that in 1997. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    jimfish said:

I'm pretty sure Metallica has been using this type of stage set up on and off since 2004. Drake actually just stole the idea on his last tour. 

It's a great idea in theory, but that stage takes up a lottttt of space if it isn't a stadium. Take a regular arena show and cut that floor attendance by more than half. So instead of everyone in a seat and on the floor, it would be mostly people in a seat, with no option to be on the floor. I can't see that working for most people here. 

That, along with the amount of production and money needed to blast music to all 4 sides of the stage and I just can't see it being worth it. Probably why more artists don't use this type of stage. 
    My dad saw Hendrix in the round with a rotating stage in like 1968.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 754
    Arcade Fire used that set-up on their last tour. Saw them play to 4000 people at Mandalay Bay events center. Went to get a beer and walked back to stand front row. Great value for my money!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    I'm kind of meh on the "in the round".   I've seen metallica do it twice, but if you're on the floor, you spent a considerable amount of time with the band playing in any direction but the one your facing.  Maybe it looks cooler from the stands.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,025
    In the round wont work with Pearl Jam. The guys have their fixed spots on stage. They have their monitor speakers and amps pointed at them exactly where they stand to provide them with the sound quality they need. Eddie is virtually surrounded by his speakers. Stone, Jeff and Mike have a shitload of effect-pedals where they need to be. Metallica plays with in-ear monitors and digital guitar gear (Fractal Audio Axe-FX) handled by their techs off-stage. Well, Kirk has several wah-pedals around the stage.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 578
    ComeToTX said:
    I saw Metallica like that in 1997. 
    They played Newcastle in the UK like this in 1996.  Assume it was on the same tour
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    I would like to see them play in the trapezoid 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    The octagon might be more appropriate 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    PB11041 said:
    Coming to Vegas? 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    PB11041 said:
    AltNation: Stone's MMA intentions revealed!
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    ^you guys are on the ball this morning! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138

Really hoping they don't play Lollapalooza, it's become such a turd in recent years. More EDM and rap than anything else, or maybe I'm just old. Or both. But that also means they wouldn't play another IL date so I'd have to do some traveling to get to see them, which all depends on funds and how far the travel is. I won't waste my time going to Woodstock more than likely, unless the lineup is just spectacular...not holding my breath.

I could see them passing on Lollapalooza due to playing 4 Chicago shows between 2016/2018.

I just want to know sooner than later what the summer looks like so I can plan my PTO accordingly.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2019

Really hoping they don't play Lollapalooza, it's become such a turd in recent years. More EDM and rap than anything else, or maybe I'm just old. Or both. But that also means they wouldn't play another IL date so I'd have to do some traveling to get to see them, which all depends on funds and how far the travel is. I won't waste my time going to Woodstock more than likely, unless the lineup is just spectacular...not holding my breath.

I could see them passing on Lollapalooza due to playing 4 Chicago shows between 2016/2018.

I just want to know sooner than later what the summer looks like so I can plan my PTO accordingly.

Is it sad that I would be more excited to see Pearl Jam play a greatest hits 2 hour set list at Lollapalooza in Grant Park then seeing them play a 2.5-3 hour set list at Wrigley Field again?

They need to do something different in Chicago the next time they come back. Wrigley needs a break.  
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options

Is it sad that I would be more excited to see Pearl Jam play a greatest hits 2 hour set list at Lollapalooza in Grant Park then seeing them play a 2.5-3 hour set list at Wrigley Field again?

They need to do something different in Chicago the next time they come back. Wrigley needs a break.  

Man, I didn't even think about how short the set would be and how the song selection would be mostly greatest hits, haha. I think I'd take Wrigley over Lollapalooza because I want to be able to see the show better and it be non-smoking. And I'd like to be able to sit down during "Sirens" to save leg energy.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options

Man, I didn't even think about how short the set would be and how the song selection would be mostly greatest hits, haha. I think I'd take Wrigley over Lollapalooza because I want to be able to see the show better and it be non-smoking. And I'd like to be able to sit down during "Sirens" to save leg energy.
    2007 Lolla show was pretty much a greatest hits set list that came in around two hours. It was still a blast and a beautiful night to watch a concert.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    Overall, I'm not big on festivals anymore in general. I went to Lollapalooza the year Sabbath played, they were 1 of 5 bands I wanted to see out of the whole weekend. I'm over big crowds, standing around and waiting all day for a band, and long lines for everything.

I sound so old, haha.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

So I get up this morning and already, PJ has reached out to U2's stage director for a trapezoidal design and Stone is heading into camp with GSP. I call that progress.

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,928
    I'll take Wrigley over Lola anytime!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JojoRice said:
    100% (from someone who was at Lolla and all 5 Wrigley shows)

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    They can still capitalize at Wrigley. I like destination concerts and Wrigley has been on my list since my buddy told me about his 2013 experience.
  • Options
    JojoRice said:

I was at all 5 Wrigley and the Lolla show as well... but I feel The Wrigley experience needs a break. I know they put on amazing shows at Wrigley (2013 and 2016 were top 10 for me) but I like a little change here and there. Spice it up as they say!  
  • Options
    JojoRice said:

I was at all 5 Wrigley and the Lolla show as well... but I feel The Wrigley experience needs a break. I know they put on amazing shows at Wrigley (2013 and 2016 were top 10 for me) but I like a little change here and there. Spice it up as they say!  
    I agree. I would love to see them back at United Center or Alpine, but that can only happen if they do a full tour, otherwise demand would be way too high.  My point was just that they did/do try to make the ballpark shows events.  Last year I was at Barcelona, London II, both Seattle and both Wrigley, and the ballpark shows were so above and beyond.
    Let's hope we get a bigger tour this year!

• Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 754

Great news! Stone is a closet life long White Sox fan!
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,771
    PB11041 said:

Given the merch lines and "pssst" threads, I can't disagree.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    jimfishjimfish Detroit Posts: 51
    jimfish said:

You do realize that the Raleigh article was announcing the Metallica had broken the attendance record with 20,052.  For reference, Miley Cyrus sold out the PNC arena with a standard stage set up - attendance was 13,734.   Just sayin'
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    jimfish said:
    jimfish said:

You do realize that the Raleigh article was announcing the Metallica had broken the attendance record with 20,052.  For reference, Miley Cyrus sold out the PNC arena with a standard stage set up - attendance was 13,734.   Just sayin'
    I did not look this up so I may be wrong but wouldn't Metallica sell out the whole arena including the normal back of stage seats and Miley would not? I think it is obvious that the round set up sells more ticket but 6500 more seems very high. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jimfish said:
    jimfish said:

Fuck Raleigh 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    Festival shows aren't always greatest hits.  Sometimes, but other times you get a Pemberton, or a Telluride, or even a Virginfest :)