2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:
    oh boy if this new album turns into a tool like wait, people are going to lose their minds.

as much as i want to say enough of the wrigley and fenway (too many bad seats, epic experiences are now starting to blend together a bit too much, weather risk, etc) if they did do that id be on board, my love of a great show exceeds any stadium complaints.  we'd all take a stadium over a festival any day, so hopefully wrigley is easy enough for them to give us some yearly shows..

Turn into a tool = 13 years between releases?

Play an arena and charge double so the gross is the same. Its money well spent based on the attributes you cited

Bands Pearl Jams caliber and contemporaries routinely play venues that are mid to large size arenas selling tickets from $75 to $100 and do just fine.  
    Such as?  Lerxst1992 simply wants PJ to play arenas instead of anything larger.
    You forgot the residency in NYC.
    Right. 13 shows at MSG to equal the payday at the baseball stadiums. I am actually on board for that :)
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    edited March 2019
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:
    oh boy if this new album turns into a tool like wait, people are going to lose their minds.

as much as i want to say enough of the wrigley and fenway (too many bad seats, epic experiences are now starting to blend together a bit too much, weather risk, etc) if they did do that id be on board, my love of a great show exceeds any stadium complaints.  we'd all take a stadium over a festival any day, so hopefully wrigley is easy enough for them to give us some yearly shows..

Play an arena and charge double so the gross is the same. Its money well spent based on the attributes you cited

Bands Pearl Jams caliber and contemporaries routinely play venues that are mid to large size arenas selling tickets from $75 to $100 and do just fine.  
    Right. 13 shows at MSG to equal the payday at the baseball stadiums. I am actually on board for that :)

We all should be.

In theory, you can put in for as many shows as you want, but only win two...IF...there are still tickets remaining, then people can win a third.

Plus...if it's spread out over about 5-6 weeks (vs two weeks) then it could make traveling a bit more difficult. If someone puts in for NYC 1 and 2 and they have to travel from 3500 miles, it would just give another benefit to local fans, as the traveling fan may not be able to do shows 10-13.

Limiting the number of shows won AND a residency at a "marquee destination city" would do wonders for ticket availability.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    10C tickets for NYC are a shit show no matter what. NYC is the only city where I've had to resort to the secondary market. But anyway, no smoke, fire or even rumblings of shows!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Yeah, my gut says 2019 will be another zero concert year for PJ.
  • Options
    chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    chiefnjk said:
    Looks like Ohana is updating their socials, which usually means a lineup announcement is imminent.
    Looks like The Strokes on 9/27.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    Yeah, my gut says 2019 will be another zero concert year for PJ.
    The writing has been on the wall for a bit now. Sad to hear but hopefully this means that they have the album done in time for a spring tour in 2020. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    With Matt in the studio with what looks like a new band project, mike doing his infinite color and sound project and Ed doing some solo shows it doesn’t look like anything Pearl Jam is happening anytime soon. 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,764
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

every tour that Dave Matthews Band and Phish play is sheds and arenas.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

every tour that Dave Matthews Band and Phish play is sheds and arenas.
    I suppose they do. Short list though and DMB plays a ton of shows.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

We all should be.

In theory, you can put in for as many shows as you want, but only win two...IF...there are still tickets remaining, then people can win a third.

Plus...if it's spread out over about 5-6 weeks (vs two weeks) then it could make traveling a bit more difficult. If someone puts in for NYC 1 and 2 and they have to travel from 3500 miles, it would just give another benefit to local fans, as the traveling fan may not be able to do shows 10-13.

Limiting the number of shows won AND a residency at a "marquee destination city" would do wonders for ticket availability.

"Another benefit to local fans"

Folks in Canada, Australia are clamoring for a tour. Something they absolutely deserve once the band decides it's time to hit the road again.

But there's more fans within a few hours of NYC than those two countries combined, if my math is correct. And the ordeal to get tickets here speaks for itself. But the money available to play msg is unlike any other city.

As underserved as those countries are, and they are, no market is more underseved than nyc (outside of LA), and they typically play here when they tour the US.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

We all should be.

Folks in Canada, Australia are clamoring for a tour. Something they absolutely deserve once the band decides it's time to hit the road again.

But there's more fans within a few hours of NYC than those two countries combined, if my math is correct. And the ordeal to get tickets here speaks for itself. But the money available to play msg is unlike any other city.

As underserved as those countries are, and they are, no market is more underseved than nyc (outside of LA), and they typically play here when they tour the US.
    No.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    The only residency I would be interested in is Seattle, and only then if it was part of a larger plan to renovate/rebuild/replace the arena and bring back the Sonics.

13 shows at MSG for Phish, who tour constantly and do a variety of interesting, outside the box things every year, seems cool. 13 shows at MSG for Pearl Jam, who does not tour constantly and rarely does interesting or outside the box things, would feel a bit like a cash grab.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    raforafo Posts: 75
    ev 28 sep @ohana
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

We all should be.

Um, ask the fans in Asia about that. 
  • Options
    I am headed to Ohana this year. Now that the Strokes were announced with EV. I just booked the hotel. Anybody here attend the fest?
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,626
    A residency ANYWHERE should make everyone happy at this point
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited March 2019
    A residency ANYWHERE should make everyone happy at this point
    I'd be good with Seattle...
    but ANYWHERE works for me too!!! :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,522
    Why do we need a residency? Just play shows. Anywhere.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited March 2019
    If they were going to do a residency, it'd be nice if they did maybe three different ones across the US ...say NYC (or Boston or Philly), Chicago, and Seattle (or LA - but not Vegas) for a whole bunch of nights.

BTW: My apologies for not including the South - you do get ignored quite a bit. Please keep in mind I'm stating this and I live in Canada, so I'd have to do some travelling, too! 
  • Options
    Why do we need a residency? Just play shows. Anywhere.

Definitely agree with play anywhere, but to explain from my point of view...

A. Just passing time and speculating during another possible slow year for the band.

B. Considering ways that could maximize band revenue while limiting wear and tear of excessive travel and time away from their families.

C. Anything to minimize festivals ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    rummy said:
    If they were going to do a residency, it'd be nice if they did maybe three different ones across the US ...say NYC (or Boston or Philly), Chicago, and Seattle (or LA - but not Vegas) for a whole bunch of nights.

BTW: My apologies for not including the South - you do get ignored quite a bit. Please keep in mind I'm stating this and I live in Canada, so I'd have to do some travelling, too! 

That's a good idea, a few residencies spread out around the country, the South, east and the West (which is way overdue). As a NYer I would also love Philly or DC, but as nice as city as Boston is, been there done that.

Summer residencies are a way to limit the grind and cost of traveling, and their families can tag along and establish a " home base." 

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

We all should be.

Um, ask the fans in Asia about that. 

Asia is a tough spot for any artist. Even for those that play tons of shows internationally- Steven Wilson just wrapped a 14 month, 33 country, 145 show tour and I'm not sure how much of that was in Asia.

My comment was more about the overwhelming population size and rabid fanbase around NY. It would  be an interesting comparison how rare and expensive secondary market tickets get here vs anywhere else. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    The only residency I would be interested in is Seattle, and only then if it was part of a larger plan to renovate/rebuild/replace the arena and bring back the Sonics.

13 shows at MSG for Phish, who tour constantly and do a variety of interesting, outside the box things every year, seems cool. 13 shows at MSG for Pearl Jam, who does not tour constantly and rarely does interesting or outside the box things, would feel a bit like a cash grab.

And the 7 stadium home away shows thrown in after the Euro tour? Its a business and they clearly want to limit their time away from home and families. To me a residency addresses that and also provides revenue opportunities much better than alternatives, such as a festival, which is difficult for families to tag along (to a one and done event). 
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 921
    Built it and they will.come. if they played 10 shows in a large venue in usa over a few weeks,. I'd bet they fill every one 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    weremin23 said:
    CO278952 said:
    Till now,  No pj shows booked for 2019 
    Do you mean there are now shows booked for 2019? 
    That’s how I read it...
    x2
     NO SHOWS BOOKED..NOTHING
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    weremin23weremin23 Posts: 307
    weremin23 said:
    CO278952 said:
    That’s how I read it...
    x2
     NO SHOWS BOOKED..NOTHING
    Well that’s that. Thanks Dimi
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    JimmyV said:

And the 7 stadium home away shows thrown in after the Euro tour? Its a business and they clearly want to limit their time away from home and families. To me a residency addresses that and also provides revenue opportunities much better than alternatives, such as a festival, which is difficult for families to tag along (to a one and done event). 
    Of course it's a business. The home and away shows were a way to make money while playing the west coast, the Midwest and the east coast. The shows were spread out and on weekends. We all wish there were more shows but if you were willing to travel then you had options. A residency in a single arena is limiting traveling fans to only one option.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,838
    weremin23 said:
    CO278952 said:
    That’s how I read it...
    x2
     NO SHOWS BOOKED..NOTHING
    So what exactly are you saying?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    weremin23 said:
    CO278952 said:
    That’s how I read it...
    x2
     NO SHOWS BOOKED..NOTHING
    OKAY THANKS 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    weremin23 said:
    CO278952 said:
    That’s how I read it...
    x2
     NO SHOWS BOOKED..NOTHING
    So what exactly are you saying?
    I know!  Like, he used the plural form of "show", so is he implying that one show is currently booked but not multiple shows?  And he used the word "Nothing" which is used in the song "Gone" which was written in New Jersey, so is the one show in East Rutherford?  It is frustrating when people in the know are not clear with the news.