Options

2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    It could be they were focused and in the right place, and the tragedy put them off course.  Sometimes it isn't easy to get back on track with things, and I would imagine all the moving parts with PJ making art together is tough... and it isn't something they have shown urgency to attack.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    I know what concert I will be going to this year. First albums played front to back. 

Maybe I'd check out OLP (their set will be extremely short) Live and then some of Bush... Great opportunity to beat the traffic

This tour shows Live Nation's desperate attempts to fill the summer sheds which is ironic because some bands are desperate to keep them empty.

The math just doesn't make sense. Seems fans are having trouble getting pumped to fork over nearly $100 to sit very far from the stage to see bands they used to see in 3000 and smaller venues for half the price.

Ticket sales for the other double headers are dreadful so far (Benjamin/Chevelle, Korn/AIC). All decent bands and terrific in smaller venues

Not sure about the other venues but the one I am looking at is $65-$95 at 4000 capacity theatre. I would gladly pay that to see this stellar line up. I will be honest I do not like much of Bush past Sixteen Stone but that is one fantastic album as is Throwing Copper. I could see if you saw these guys before and were not a die hard it would be a pass but not for me. 

That is much more reasonable than the NY show at Jones beach, capacity 15000+.

$80 for aisle seats about 80+ rows from the stage for the Benjamin Chevelle show. I am assuming the pricing for Live Bush will be similar.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    The bright side is always that if there won't be any touring then maybe there will be some recording.
    Honestly I think most of us thought 2017 was the year for that with 2018 being the album touring year. I hope you are right this time. 
    I know I did. I'm still kind of shocked they weren't finishing up the album last fall.
    I think that the impact of Chris’ death on all of this is being seriously underestimated. Unfortunately, a lot of things changed when he passed. Plans, inspirations, motivations... I can only imagine how bad this hurt all of them. I just hope that they are (or will) find the creative and recording process to be positive, maybe even healing. I am sure that will be part of what any new music gives us fans, whenever it comes. 

To me, this might be the most logical explanation for why Can’t Deny Me was released as the first single for a forthcoming new album, only to have the whole concept completely change course. Time will tell. I’m just glad we have time and that Mike, Stone, Matt, Jeff and Eddie are all healthy and (hopefully) happy. And Boom! Sorry, Boom. 

Not sure I get the timing. Chris passed in May 2017 and I am sure it was devastating for the band.

But their press release for  CDM from their forthcoming album was almost a year later in March 2018.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    edited March 2019
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    The bright side is always that if there won't be any touring then maybe there will be some recording.
    Honestly I think most of us thought 2017 was the year for that with 2018 being the album touring year. I hope you are right this time. 
    I know I did. I'm still kind of shocked they weren't finishing up the album last fall.
    I think that the impact of Chris’ death on all of this is being seriously underestimated. Unfortunately, a lot of things changed when he passed. Plans, inspirations, motivations... I can only imagine how bad this hurt all of them. I just hope that they are (or will) find the creative and recording process to be positive, maybe even healing. I am sure that will be part of what any new music gives us fans, whenever it comes. 

To me, this might be the most logical explanation for why Can’t Deny Me was released as the first single for a forthcoming new album, only to have the whole concept completely change course. Time will tell. I’m just glad we have time and that Mike, Stone, Matt, Jeff and Eddie are all healthy and (hopefully) happy. And Boom! Sorry, Boom. 

Here's what I think.

The Bataclan attack changed their plans for 2016. Apparently, they had a European summer 2016 tour all lined up and then canceled it when the attacks happen. We know this. The east coast 2016 tour wasn't supposed to happen. (Maybe Fenway and Wrigley, but certainly not Florida, South Carolina, Bonnaroo, Telluride, etc.)

Chris died in May 2017. We saw Eddie on stage in Europe that summer. Obviously, it messed him up.

Perhaps there's an alternate universe:
    The Bataclan doesn't get attacked. Pearl Jam does Europe in June/July 2016, then they come home and do Wrigley and Fenway. Chris doesn't die and LP2 is released a few months later in September 2017. Soundgarden does their US 2017 tour, Matt takes a few months off, Can't Deny Me is released with the new album and US tour in summer 2018, similar to 2013.

And it's not just Eddie, but Matt was in Detroit and on stage that night.

We also know that the band has been in a gradual wind-down since Backspacer. Remember the rumor about the 5-8 song EP as a quick follow-up? That lead into PJ20, a Brad tour, Ukulele Songs and a lot of other side project stuff?

One of the biggest issues is that they don't have a label or corporate-level suits to appease. They don't need to keep their name out there by touring and releasing like they did in the 90s. They know they can do 2-3 shows per year and get fans from 10 different countries and 3-4 different continents.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    Didn't we know about most of the 2016 spring tour in October 2015? Did they really stop the Euro tour planning midway through 2015 and add a US/Canada tour instead?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    November/December 2015 there were still strong rumors of a Euro tour.  Basically similar to what turned out to be 2018.  
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Here's what I think.

The Bataclan attack changed their plans for 2016. Apparently, they had a European summer 2016 tour all lined up and then canceled it when the attacks happen. We know this. The east coast 2016 tour wasn't supposed to happen. (Maybe Fenway and Wrigley, but certainly not Florida, South Carolina, Bonnaroo, Telluride, etc.)

Chris died in May 2017. We saw Eddie on stage in Europe that summer. Obviously, it messed him up.

The Bataclan doesn't get attacked. Pearl Jam does Europe in June/July 2016, then they come home and do Wrigley and Fenway. Chris doesn't die and LP2 is released a few months later in September 2017. Soundgarden does their US 2017 tour, Matt takes a few months off, Can't Deny Me is released with the new album and US tour in summer 2018, similar to 2013.

We also know that the band has been in a gradual wind-down since Backspacer. Remember the rumor about the 5-8 song EP as a quick follow-up? That lead into PJ20, a Brad tour, Ukulele Songs and a lot of other side project stuff?

One of the biggest issues is that they don't have a label or corporate-level suits to appease. They don't need to keep their name out there by touring and releasing like they did in the 90s. They know they can do 2-3 shows per year and get fans from 10 different countries and 3-4 different continents.

The CDM new album press release  was almost two and a half years after the Paris attacks. I agree that horrible attack threw their timing off but not sure how it impacted that March 2018 press release and it's inaccuracy thereafter.

I believe most fans agree on their right to go as slow as they wish. But announcing a new album then not addressing that press release subsequently is not fair to the fans. Oh well life ain't fair.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Here's what I think.

The CDM new album press release  was almost two and a half years after the Paris attacks. I agree that horrible attack threw their timing off but not sure how it impacted that March 2018 press release and it's inaccuracy thereafter.

I believe most fans agree on their right to go as slow as they wish. But announcing a new album then not addressing that press release subsequently is not fair to the fans. Oh well life ain't fair.
    The common thread to most of the frustrations amongst fans is complete lack of communication. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Here's what I think.

The common thread to most of the frustrations amongst fans is complete lack of communication. 

Under typical circumstances I get the band would want to have that. They either want their privacy or create a mystery behind the timing of the art they create.

In this case, there was a very specific communication and a song that they  decided to release. Its only fair to expect an update given how it turned out to be "fake news" directly from the band. But it ain't happening so... whatever.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,485
    This one time, my kid wanted me to help put a lego set together, and I said, "Ok, lets do that when we get home."   Later that day, we got home, and I was too tired.  And I said, "Hey, i know i said we would do this tonight, but Im tired, lets just watch a movie instead."   Kid was a bit upset, but we put it together a few days later. 

Point, they can say what they want, and have the ability to change their minds.  I'm not being an "apologist" here, as I really REALLY need some new music, and would love an actual arena tour.   And I am frustrated.   But, they have been playing music for 30+ years.  There have been some rough times lately, with deaths and tragedies.  They have families, they have security.   Shit just happens sometimes and plans change. 

It seems they had some loose plans for some stuff, and it didnt come together yet, but I'm sure it will at some point.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    edited March 2019
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This one time, my kid wanted me to help put a lego set together, and I said, "Ok, lets do that when we get home."   Later that day, we got home, and I was too tired.  And I said, "Hey, i know i said we would do this tonight, but Im tired, lets just watch a movie instead."   Kid was a bit upset, but we put it together a few days later. 

Point, they can say what they want, and have the ability to change their minds.  I'm not being an "apologist" here, as I really REALLY need some new music, and would love an actual arena tour.   And I am frustrated.   But, they have been playing music for 30+ years.  There have been some rough times lately, with deaths and tragedies.  They have families, they have security.   Shit just happens sometimes and plans change. 

It seems they had some loose plans for some stuff, and it didnt come together yet, but I'm sure it will at some point.  
    This band is pretty smart...find it strange someone would be given the all clear to announce a forthcoming album release. Before saying forthcoming album you should be pretty certain what’s been recorded or going to be will eventually make an album. Forthcoming release says to me that recording’s nearly
    complete and finer details packaging etc..just needs finalising. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited March 2019
    OH BOY..OK
    TODAY IS 4TH MARCH 2019..TILL THIS DAY ,,TILL RIGHT JUST  NOW..NO PJ SHOWS OR PJ TOUR..OR ANYTHING RELATED TO THAT FOR THE YEAR 2019 PLANNED OR BOOKED..
    HOPE U UNDERSTAND THIS TIME..

Americans don't speak English Dimi.
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    Vedd Hedd said:

This band is pretty smart...find it strange someone would be given the all clear to announce a forthcoming album release. Before saying forthcoming album you should be pretty certain what’s been recorded or going to be will eventually make an album. Forthcoming release says to me that recording’s nearly
    It did feel like they were making it up as they went along.  The first announced the song as an xmas single, then as a song from the forthcoming album.   Seemed like a little confusion at the time as to why they released it.  Still not sure it's going to end up as an xmas single either.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,485
    Zod said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

It did feel like they were making it up as they went along.  The first announced the song as an xmas single, then as a song from the forthcoming album.   Seemed like a little confusion at the time as to why they released it.  Still not sure it's going to end up as an xmas single either.
    Yeah, and that's sort of what I was getting at.  A lot of things happened that we know about during that time period, as well as probably things we dont know about.  

When it comes, it comes.  Again, I would love 40+ city arena tours and albums every 2 years.  But that's not happening, and its their call to make on that.  And they earned that right. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Zod said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Yeah, and that's sort of what I was getting at.  A lot of things happened that we know about during that time period, as well as probably things we dont know about.  

When it comes, it comes.  Again, I would love 40+ city arena tours and albums every 2 years.  But that's not happening, and its their call to make on that.  And they earned that right. 
    Correct. And they like to keep things quiet. When something is finalized, they will let us know. That has been their way for some time now.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    edited March 2019
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    The only residency I would be interested in is Seattle, and only then if it was part of a larger plan to renovate/rebuild/replace the arena and bring back the Sonics.

13 shows at MSG for Phish, who tour constantly and do a variety of interesting, outside the box things every year, seems cool. 13 shows at MSG for Pearl Jam, who does not tour constantly and rarely does interesting or outside the box things, would feel a bit like a cash grab.
    I agree with this.
    This is supposed to be the plan. I hope it hasn't changed. Kelly Curtis was working with Oak View Group on this. The Key Arena is currently being gutted and renovation has begun. The Seattle NHL team will begin playing there for the 2021 season. It is being promoted as a world class music venue when complete. So hopefully PJ is still a band in 2021 and will begin doing an annual residency there.
    I have to say, I'm far more excited about Seattle having an NHL team than I am about the prospect of PJ having some kind of residency at the new hockey arena, lol. Vancouver will finally have a REAL rival where the fans can go to games in both cities easily!! That will be awesome. PJ and a "residency"? That is definitely not going to go like I feel some people imagine it. There is no way PJ is going to be willing to actually play there consistently or regularly or anything close to it IMO. They just aren't there emotionally/mentally anymore, and this idea wouldn't even be possible for another couple years, and unless some kind of miracle happens between now and then, they will be even less motivated to do this by then.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    The only residency I would be interested in is Seattle, and only then if it was part of a larger plan to renovate/rebuild/replace the arena and bring back the Sonics.

13 shows at MSG for Phish, who tour constantly and do a variety of interesting, outside the box things every year, seems cool. 13 shows at MSG for Pearl Jam, who does not tour constantly and rarely does interesting or outside the box things, would feel a bit like a cash grab.
    I agree with this.
    This is supposed to be the plan. I hope it hasn't changed. Kelly Curtis was working with Oak View Group on this. The Key Arena is currently being gutted and renovation has begun. The Seattle NHL team will begin playing there for the 2021 season. It is being promoted as a world class music venue when complete. So hopefully PJ is still a band in 2021 and will begin doing an annual residency there.
    I have to say, I'm far more excited about Seattle having an NHL team than I am about the prospect of PJ having some kind of residency at the new hockey arena, lol. Vancouver will finally have a REAL rival where the fans can go to games in both cities easily!! That will be awesome. PJ and a "residency"? That is definitely not going to go like I feel some people imagine it. There is no way PJ is going to be willing to actually play there consistently or regularly or anything close to it IMO. They just aren't there emotionally/mentally anymore, and this idea wouldn't even be possible for another couple years, and unless some kind of miracle happens between now and then, they will be even less motivated to do this by then.
    This really sounds like something I would have typed. I completely agree. I was just posting that the band / Kelly Curtis had talked about this during the planning of the renovation. Whether or not it happens definitely remains to be seen, and if the band continues on their current path, it will be impossible to get them together in one room for any reason. I'm sure Ed will have festivals and solo shows to attend to. The band is clearly not his priority these days, and I'm sure will be less so in a couple of years.

Anyway, I'm most excited about the new NHL team as well. I currently casually follow the Canucks, since they are my closest team, but they aren't REALLY my team, and they've been hard to really support the last few years. lol. Looking forward to a good rivalry for sure!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited March 2019
    Hard to believe not that long ago the two cities both had basketball teams, as well!
    (My post is right on topic, no?)
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    PJNB said:
    I know what concert I will be going to this year. First albums played front to back. 

Nice. Would be even better if OLP played “clumsy” in its entirety also. 
    OLP's first album is better than Clumsy.

Naveed is the best song they ever wrote.. easily
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    PJNB said:

I always liked Starseed.
  • Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580
    edited March 2019
    Probably not touring, but if they were to tour I would love to see them in Grand Rapids again.  
    Post edited by inhiding 1976 on

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

In your example, you set the record straight with your kid immediately, you clarified your original comment and you explained why. Then you completed your stated task a few days later. 

Also "forthcoming" and "some loose stuff" have completely different meanings.

Also, tweeting out that arena picture calm before the storm, in context with the forthcoming announcement was especially harsh.

Its one thing to be silent or mysterious about future plans. Its another thing to do what they did.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    rummy said:
    PJNB said:

I always liked Starseed.
    The first 5 songs on Naveed where great. The B side was good to but just not the same. Clumsy had two of my favourite OLP songs with Big Dumb Rocket and 4am and overall was a better album imo front to back. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    The forthcoming album comment is on the band. Reading anything into the calm before the storm tweet is on the fans. They came months apart and had nothing to do with one another.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    I'm the OLP hipster that likes Happiness... The second half of that record is fantastic. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    I'm the OLP hipster that likes Happiness... The second half of that record is fantastic. 

The Mike Turner era as a body of work was excellent. Since Gravity, just not as good for me.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    The forthcoming album comment is on the band. Reading anything into the calm before the storm tweet is on the fans. They came months apart and had nothing to do with one another.

I said "in context." Plenty of fans were warning at the time it meant nothing. Which begs an obvious question about the need for a tweet like that, especially considering the band raised expectations for an imminent album release.

• Options
    Alt Nation is reporting doom and gloom about Ed's illness last year in London. 

Sometimes its as simple as Occam's Razor
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    Man I hope they announce some tour dates or release something soon because this is the most disinterested I have ever been.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    By far my fav OLP record. Listened to it nonstop back then.