Options

2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    JimmyV said:
    The forthcoming album comment is on the band. Reading anything into the calm before the storm tweet is on the fans. They came months apart and had nothing to do with one another.

I said "in context." Plenty of fans were warning at the time it meant nothing. Which begs an obvious question about the need for a tweet like that, especially considering the band raised expectations for an imminent album release.

The expectation for an imminent album release came months before. The tweet had nothing at all to do with it. Expecting whoever runs their social media to connect the two just because you have is an unrealistic expectation. At no point did one ever have anything to do with the other.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 529
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man I hope they announce some tour dates or release something soon because this is the most disinterested I have ever been.
    I hear ya man. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    The bright side is always that if there won't be any touring then maybe there will be some recording.
    Honestly I think most of us thought 2017 was the year for that with 2018 being the album touring year. I hope you are right this time. 
    I know I did. I'm still kind of shocked they weren't finishing up the album last fall.
    I think that the impact of Chris’ death on all of this is being seriously underestimated. Unfortunately, a lot of things changed when he passed. Plans, inspirations, motivations... I can only imagine how bad this hurt all of them. I just hope that they are (or will) find the creative and recording process to be positive, maybe even healing. I am sure that will be part of what any new music gives us fans, whenever it comes. 

To me, this might be the most logical explanation for why Can’t Deny Me was released as the first single for a forthcoming new album, only to have the whole concept completely change course. Time will tell. I’m just glad we have time and that Mike, Stone, Matt, Jeff and Eddie are all healthy and (hopefully) happy. And Boom! Sorry, Boom. 

Here's what I think.

The Bataclan attack changed their plans for 2016. Apparently, they had a European summer 2016 tour all lined up and then canceled it when the attacks happen. We know this. The east coast 2016 tour wasn't supposed to happen. (Maybe Fenway and Wrigley, but certainly not Florida, South Carolina, Bonnaroo, Telluride, etc.)

Chris died in May 2017. We saw Eddie on stage in Europe that summer. Obviously, it messed him up.

Perhaps there's an alternate universe:
    The Bataclan doesn't get attacked. Pearl Jam does Europe in June/July 2016, then they come home and do Wrigley and Fenway. Chris doesn't die and LP2 is released a few months later in September 2017. Soundgarden does their US 2017 tour, Matt takes a few months off, Can't Deny Me is released with the new album and US tour in summer 2018, similar to 2013.

And it's not just Eddie, but Matt was in Detroit and on stage that night.

We also know that the band has been in a gradual wind-down since Backspacer. Remember the rumor about the 5-8 song EP as a quick follow-up? That lead into PJ20, a Brad tour, Ukulele Songs and a lot of other side project stuff?

One of the biggest issues is that they don't have a label or corporate-level suits to appease. They don't need to keep their name out there by touring and releasing like they did in the 90s. They know they can do 2-3 shows per year and get fans from 10 different countries and 3-4 different continents.

The CDM new album press release  was almost two and a half years after the Paris attacks. I agree that horrible attack threw their timing off but not sure how it impacted that March 2018 press release and it's inaccuracy thereafter.

I believe most fans agree on their right to go as slow as they wish. But announcing a new album then not addressing that press release subsequently is not fair to the fans. Oh well life ain't fair.

The Bataclan only affected the cancellation of the European tour with the addition of the US tour.

As far as CDM...no idea.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Alt Nation is reporting doom and gloom about Ed's illness last year in London. 

Sometimes its as simple as Occam's Razor

"Reporting."

Ha.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,357
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man I hope they announce some tour dates or release something soon because this is the most disinterested I have ever been.
    Much like me, Mike, you're here every day! I think you are still pretty interested. ;-)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    The forthcoming album comment is on the band. Reading anything into the calm before the storm tweet is on the fans. They came months apart and had nothing to do with one another.

I said "in context." Plenty of fans were warning at the time it meant nothing. Which begs an obvious question about the need for a tweet like that, especially considering the band raised expectations for an imminent album release.

The expectation for an imminent album release came months before. The tweet had nothing at all to do with it. Expecting whoever runs their social media to connect the two just because you have is an unrealistic expectation. At no point did one ever have anything to do with the other.

I expect them to be aware what they are communicating to their fans, especially after they announced a new single from their forthcoming album, then offered no follow up confirmation nor denial. And then Ed says on stage they are heading into the studio.

Then vague tease like that tweet - An empty arena in anticipation of a show, on the heels of a new single and promised album. 

The timeline speaks for itself.

-----

March: "single from forthcoming album"

Spring/Summer: 26 date tour wrapping with the heading into the studio comment at the end

Fall/Early Winter: Anticipated album news (given no update nor denial  issued by the band)...with perhaps supporting tour announced a few months after release

----> calm before the storm <----

Jan 2019: "we have some stuff, but we're in limbo"

Move Jan 2019 to earlier in the timeline and I believe that would have been fair. In other words, the forthcoming album comment seems valid until they say anything otherwise, which they didn't until Jan.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

I expect them to be aware what they are communicating to their fans, especially after they announced a new single from their forthcoming album, then offered no follow up confirmation nor denial. And then Ed says on stage they are heading into the studio.

Then vague tease like that tweet - An empty arena in anticipation of a show, on the heels of a new single and promised album. 

-----

Spring/Summer: 26 date tour wrapping with the heading into the studio comment at the end

Fall/Early Winter: Anticipated album news (given no update nor denial  issued by the band)...with perhaps supporting tour announced a few months after release

Move Jan 2019 to earlier in the timeline and I believe that would have been fair. In other words, the forthcoming album comment seems valid until they say anything otherwise, which they didn't until Jan.
    Overthinking. Things change. There is no urgency or obligation to clarify things if they take a different direction.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    They are not a current band. They are a legacy act.    A damn good legacy act with amazing live shows, but it is beyond official at this point.   Just accept it.   Current bands release more than one record every six years. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    edited March 2019
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

-----

Overthinking. Things change. There is no urgency or obligation to clarify things if they take a different direction.
    And some things stay the same. I don't disagree that describing a new album that isn't close to being finished as "forthcoming" was a mistake. But, this is the same band and management that teased Big, Bold and Free without having any firm plan for how to pull it off. This kind of loose communication about even looser plans isn't new.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    JimmyV said:
    Get_Right said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

-----

And some things stay the same. I don't disagree that describing a new album that isn't close to being finished as "forthcoming" was a mistake. But, this is the same band and management that teased Big, Bold and Free without having any firm plan for how to pull it off. This kind of loose communication about even looser plans isn't new.
    EXACTLY.  Nothing is certain with this band until it actually happens. And the album, could in theory, still be forthcoming.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Much like me, Mike, you're here every day! I think you are still pretty interested. ;-)
    Very true my man.  It's become a daily habit to check in.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,816
    Hey they said the album is forthcoming,so it is coming, just i little slower, just think if they put out as much stuff as Uncle Neil ,one two albums a year we would all be brok$ so ,thats some good news right?

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,868
    trees said:
    Hey they said the album is forthcoming,so it is coming, just i little slower, just think if they put out as much stuff as Uncle Neil ,one two albums a year we would all be brok$ so ,thats some good news right?
    They put out more than enough merch to make up for the difference. And we fall for it hook, line and sinker. They want more than the 10C membership from me, then they will give me new or live music.

I did the same thing with the Cubs when Theo came aboard. He was very transparent that they were going to strip it down and rebuild it. I wasn't mad about it, but I had enough of accepting futility. I knew I'd still watch/listen to the games, but I decided I wouldn't go to any games or buy any merch until I believed they were very serious about it. Fortunately, that did not take very long. In fact, it was a quicker process than PJ putting out albums.  =)

Not mad at them. Not even bitching (now). Just exercising my right to fight back the only way I can.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    trees said:
    They put out more than enough merch to make up for the difference. And we fall for it hook, line and sinker. They want more than the 10C membership from me, then they will give me new or live music.

Luckily I think the big money is mostly attached to the merch at live shows.    At least they have a reason to play from time to time :)

• Options
    LinhasportLinhasport Porto - Portugal Posts: 61
    We have news from Spain?????
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,868
    In some instances, no news is good news. In this instance, no news is the only news. Sorry there isn't more to tell you. :disappointed:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    In some instances, no news is good news. In this instance, no news is the only news. Sorry there isn't more to tell you. :disappointed:
    There is news today. See the EV thread. 

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    trees said:

Forthcoming has a very specific meaning. But oh well, I need to live and learn. It'll be here someday
  • Options
    They are not a current band. They are a legacy act.    A damn good legacy act with amazing live shows, but it is beyond official at this point.   Just accept it.   Current bands release more than one record every six years. 

FWIW, many current bands are also signed to labels and have corporate types to appease by releasing stuff. They also have to stay current by releasing stuff. Look at Greta Van Fleet, for example. If they took a year off, they probably wouldn't be as relevant.

Pearl Jam can take a year off (as they essentially did not too long ago) and still have a show in any random city essentially turn into a UN convention with fans meeting up from all over the world.
  • Options

Tool has not released an album in 13 years. I don't recommend anyone walk up to Adam Jones and call him a legacy act.

BTW they have a forthcoming album due out in the next few months, and it will be legend... ary.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,313
    Not that PJ was likely to appear there but Bourbon and Beyond announced their lineup and there is no EV.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,129
    kst said:
    Not that PJ was likely to appear there but Bourbon and Beyond announced their lineup and there is no EV.
    It's a good ass lineup
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,313
    pjl44 said:
    kst said:
    It's a good ass lineup
    True.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840

Tool has not released an album in 13 years. I don't recommend anyone walk up to Adam Jones and call him a legacy act.

BTW they have a forthcoming album due out in the next few months, and it will be legend... ary.
    I would. 13 years but still playing shows with the same (give or take) 9-10 songs is shameful. Just to fund various side projects? Cmon. I’m a huge tool fan but the wait for their album is a complete joke and it’s become a parody at this point. 
  • Options

I really hope this album gives them a jolt. Last saw them in '17 and hate to say it but they were a shell of the good ol' days.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    pjl44 said:

I really hope this album gives them a jolt. Last saw them in '17 and hate to say it but they were a shell of the good ol' days.
    I agree. Obviously disinterested. 
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 469
    Just curious... approx how long does it take to mix an alblum and do artwork, etc? 3-4 months?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:

I agree. Obviously disinterested. 
    It was a sloppier version of the same show I saw 5 years prior
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 560
    davidos said:
    Just curious... approx how long does it take to mix an alblum and do artwork, etc? 3-4 months?

good-ghad I hope not.... that would be extremely long for just the mixing and art, which could be done in parallel.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420