I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    garland09 said:
    DC29940 said:
     “Mothership” was $14.67 (!!!) absolutely unreal steal.
    I got this deal as well!!
    Where?
    Yes, please tell us!
    It was through an independent seller at Walmart.com and was only available for a couple hours. It sold out pretty quickly.
    Oh rats!  :grimacing: 

Thank you, though.

I would take great caution in purchasing music from the big blue box.  My husband purchased an item that was censored, not labeled as such and the censor method was just to blank out the words. There was no actual attempt to blend it in.  

We have not purchased music from them since.  My husband prefers all of his band swears to be in place.  :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019

I just got this too, as a gift. I had it on my Amazon wish list. It was actually still a surprise, as I'd forgotten that I'd ever thrown it on that list. But I'm glad I did - I enjoy this album. It's a good one to have for when guests are over - kind of works for all tastes and ages.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    deadendp said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    garland09 said:
    DC29940 said:
     “Mothership” was $14.67 (!!!) absolutely unreal steal.
    I got this deal as well!!
    Where?
    Yes, please tell us!
    It was through an independent seller at Walmart.com and was only available for a couple hours. It sold out pretty quickly.
    Oh rats!  :grimacing: 

Thank you, though.

I would take great caution in purchasing music from the big blue box.  My husband purchased an item that was censored, not labeled as such and the censor method was just to blank out the words. There was no actual attempt to blend it in.  

We have not purchased music from them since.  My husband prefers all of his band swears to be in place.  :smiley:
    Shit yeah!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:

I just got this too, as a gift. I had it on my Amazon wish list. It was actually still a surprise, as I'd forgotten that I'd ever thrown it on that list. But I'm glad I did - I enjoy this album. It's a good one to have for when guests are over - kind of works for all tastes and ages.
    The new Come Away With Me?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I had to look that up, lol. Nah, I think Nora Jones is much more that than The Revivalists are. She's much more soft/easy listening (and more beautiful).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I had to look that up, lol. Nah, I think Nora Jones is much more that than The Revivalists are. She's much more soft/easy listening (and more beautiful).
    The new Play?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited January 2019
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The new Play?
    Hmmm. :lol: No, frankly, they aren't as cool as Play is. I'm going to say it's the new Mumford & Sons, but without the totally sucking shit part, and with more soul, more funk, and more horns..... actually, scratch that, they are fucking nothing like M&S, lol! Might be best compared to perhaps St. Paul & The Broken Bones?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Play sucks. My wife was a huge fan, so I got us tickets to see him around then. We left about two songs in. He pretended to play a guitar that wasn’t plugged into anything and ran around the stage pushing different buttons that basically just had his album tracks programmed into them. Just fucking lame. 

But that’s one of those albums you can put on just to have something in the background that’s not too distracting.

I don’t know much about Mumford & Sons, but I’m guessing that they actually know how to play musical instruments on a stage and not just push buttons for whatever is programmed into a laptop. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Play sucks. My wife was a huge fan, so I got us tickets to see him around then. We left about two songs in. He pretended to play a guitar that wasn’t plugged into anything and ran around the stage pushing different buttons that basically just had his album tracks programmed into them. Just fucking lame. 

But that’s one of those albums you can put on just to have something in the background that’s not too distracting.

I don’t know much about Mumford & Sons, but I’m guessing that they actually know how to play musical instruments on a stage and not just push buttons for whatever is programmed into a laptop. 
    Lol

Great visual.

I want to see him just to see the lameness.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Finally, after 18 million years, I picked up a great pressing of Tommy.  Way better than the beater I had years ago.   Very pleased with this!  Simply Vinyl/ Polydor SVLP 201

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    All of my Who records sound thin - I love the music....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Agreed.  I'm never satisfied with Who albums.  I've given up on them unfortunately.  
    brianlux said:
    Finally, after 18 million years, I picked up a great pressing of Tommy.  Way better than the beater I had years ago.   Very pleased with this!  Simply Vinyl/ Polydor SVLP 201

Don't forget to light a candle.

I SAW PEARL JAM

mrussel1 said:
    Agreed.  I'm never satisfied with Who albums.  I've given up on them unfortunately.  
    Even Live at Leeds?   That album sounds rich to me.  Perhaps I'm just lucky to have a decent copy, but it is just an average MCA re-issue.

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:
    Even Live at Leeds?   That album sounds rich to me.  Perhaps I'm just lucky to have a decent copy, but it is just an average MCA re-issue.
    Fair enough.  I don't have that.  I was thinking more about the studio releases.  But you've made me realize that I don't have Leeds, which is one of the all time great concert videos.  
    edited January 2019
    dankind said:

I totally love Play, but I am definitely not a Moby fan otherwise, as I don't like electronica. That's his one good album for me. Although that is only because of the genre. I don't go for it. I think Moby is very talented. Those antics on stage sound embarrassing though. Not sure wtf that was about. Despite that, I will acknowledge he's extremely talented with what he does (he is also a big animal welfare advocate).
    I hate M&S, mainly because all of their songs sounds exactly the same, lol. Their music is INSANELY formulaic. So yeah, they play real instruments, but that doesn't mean anything if they can't muster any ingenuity when they're writing music.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    For Tommy, The Classic record pressing from 2006 is exceptional. If you don’t mind a digital file cut to vinyl there’s a Kevin Gray cut from 2014, which is very good for cheap.

But if you want the best early pressings, you need to find a clean UK original Track pressing.  For a US pressing, the early Decca pressings are nice, just not up there with the UK. The trouble with all early pressings, finding a clean version is hard and sometimes expensive.

Whatever you do stay away from all US MCA pressings... very bad.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:
    Fair enough.  I don't have that.  I was thinking more about the studio releases.  But you've made me realize that I don't have Leeds, which is one of the all time great concert videos.  
    The Classic Records Quadrophenia is pretty stunning, but there were some qc issues.
    I'll check out the Classics series.  Kevin is right on the Decca's.  Those first editions UK are the ones people are after for Who and the Stones.  But they are pricey.  Too much so for me to take a chance on considering the age.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:
    Just to add to this the standard  live at Leeds vinyl is superb. but there is a half speed remastered at Abbey studios version triple album available (complete 33 tracks)
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:
    YOU MUST GET LIVE AT LEEDS

The music gods have spoken!  :lol:

DewieCox said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:
    The Classic Records Quadrophenia is pretty stunning, but there were some qc issues.
    Yeah, I've heard they are great.  And from what I looked for, very expensive!

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

I shall do that.

I'm also thinking about buying the MOFI repress of the The Band (the Band).  Anyone have this and can opine on the quality?  It is a classic album and MOFI is usually spot on.  

https://www.mofi.com/product-p/mfsl1-419.htm
    edited January 2019
    Here's a pre-order that was way worth waiting for!  Juliana Hatfield, Only Everything, Runout Groove reissue.

From the notes:  "Only Everything is a completely analog record... recorded on 2" tape, mixed on 1/2 inch tape.  Every tape recorder was as Studer and every recording console used was a vintage Neve.  Every edit was done with a razor blade and we had no Autotune, Melodyne, Drumagog or other modern shortcuts.  We did have lots of Neumann tube mics, Gibson Les Pauls, Marshall amps, and a pile of great songs from Jules." -Paul Q Kolderie

Man, this album is total KILLER!

Post edited by brianlux on

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Saved this floyd from someones dank barn. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited January 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

I shall do that.

I'm also thinking about buying the MOFI repress of the The Band (the Band).  Anyone have this and can opine on the quality?  It is a classic album and MOFI is usually spot on.  

It’s great. I think there is an older version mastered by Robert Ludwig they is supposedly excellent but for price and availability of a clean copy the Mofi is a no brainer.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    DewieCox said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

I shall do that.

It’s great. I think there is an older version mastered by Robert Ludwig they is supposedly excellent but for price and availability of a clean copy the Mofi is a no brainer.
    Yes, I’ve been searching for a nice clean RL original for a while... it’s the way to go. But I have not heard the MOFI. so I can’t help you much there.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Another one from Jules showed up today!  Juliana Hatfield, Weird, orange vinyl.  Came with some cool goodies including stickers, two buttons and a little pack of Battle Cap sweets.  Had to much to do to give it a proper listen so am setting aside tomorrow night to just soak it in.