The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I watched it. Really well done. It chronicles their careers and shows how they were practicing for the match. Phil was playing a round at the course itself, while Tiger was at his course in FL. Shadow Creek looks amazing. 

And Cliff, I agree that the whole thing is kind of lame but.....yeah, who cares? It's golf and I still think it's gonna be fun to watch, especially with them and their caddies miked up. 
    I have to try to find it.  Shadow creek is like the most green course in America outside of Augusta and located in the middle of the desert.  Don't know much about the layout aside from something I read in a random Golfer's Journal article.  Expensive as hell so hope it's nice.  Where was Tiger? Medalist?  I'd love to see some footage from that course.

I actually have slightly more interest in it than I originally did.  The No Laying Up guys basically convinced me that it is super lame but will still be fun.  I would be ALL in if they were playing for their own money though.  Regardless, I'll be out and about and won't see it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I watched it. Really well done. It chronicles their careers and shows how they were practicing for the match. Phil was playing a round at the course itself, while Tiger was at his course in FL. Shadow Creek looks amazing. 

And Cliff, I agree that the whole thing is kind of lame but.....yeah, who cares? It's golf and I still think it's gonna be fun to watch, especially with them and their caddies miked up. 
    I have to try to find it.  Shadow creek is like the most green course in America outside of Augusta and located in the middle of the desert.  Don't know much about the layout aside from something I read in a random Golfer's Journal article.  Expensive as hell so hope it's nice.  Where was Tiger? Medalist?  I'd love to see some footage from that course.

I actually have slightly more interest in it than I originally did.  The No Laying Up guys basically convinced me that it is super lame but will still be fun.  I would be ALL in if they were playing for their own money though.  Regardless, I'll be out and about and won't see it.
    Yeah Medalist. He actually didn't hit the ball all that well in the few shots they showed.

I think if you don't take it too seriously, people can enjoy this thing. Take it for what it is, a fun exhibition in the middle of the "off season."
    chinese-happy.jpg

Yeah Medalist. He actually didn't hit the ball all that well in the few shots they showed.

I think if you don't take it too seriously, people can enjoy this thing. Take it for what it is, a fun exhibition in the middle of the "off season."
    Should be at night too.  Still wouldn't see it, but still.  I am sure it will be fun. Just dislike a lot about it.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I just watched the Tiger/Phil 24/7. I thought it was well done. 24/7 always is. It was interesting to hear both guys talk about the side bets that would take place. They love to gamble on the course. It was cool seeing Tiger stroll around Medalist by himself, taking out the flag stick, etc. All the stuff you never see him do for himself during tournament play. Shadow Creek reminds me of a few courses I play in the Palm Springs area. It looks fantastic. I’m actually mildly interested in watching this now. I will say that Tiger sucks at trash talking though. If it was a trash talking contest, Phil would own him. 
    bbiggs said:
    I just watched the Tiger/Phil 24/7. I thought it was well done. 24/7 always is. It was interesting to hear both guys talk about the side bets that would take place. They love to gamble on the course. It was cool seeing Tiger stroll around Medalist by himself, taking out the flag stick, etc. All the stuff you never see him do for himself during tournament play. Shadow Creek reminds me of a few courses I play in the Palm Springs area. It looks fantastic. I’m actually mildly interested in watching this now. I will say that Tiger sucks at trash talking though. If it was a trash talking contest, Phil would own him. 
    Definitely a resort course.

you see tiger saying count the victories and that he’s been in phils head for 20 years? That was pretty solid.

Still no go on the fire stick. Might not see this for a while
    Chunky 3 sticks! Dude has a sneaky awesome career

chinese-happy.jpg

So turns out I have to work on Friday. Can’t remember the last time I’ve had to work the day after Thanksgiving. Sucks. Anywho—does anyone know if you are able to dvr a pay per view event like this one?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    90% sure you can dvr something if you buy it. I beeelieve I have done it with a fight in the past
    Fuck yeah. The best thing to come out of this match is that no laying up got time with both of them. Fucking right 
    HAHAH. They asked Tiger if he really popped a bone back in at the Masters.  He says he did.
    GO Tiger!
    edited November 2018
    Sounds like it was even worse than expected and I was right?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    I didn’t watch a single shot. Would like to hear thoughts from someone who did. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Sounded like the coverage was brutal and the announcers kept talking over Phil/Tiger talking and them talking to their caddies about what to do on certain shots.  Glad I didn't bother wasting $20 on that nonsense...
    The main issue for me was just the golf. I mean it was obviously competitive but neither of them played particular well, other than Phil driving it better than he has in a really long time. Nobody made a put. Nobody. Short game issues for both of them-especially Phil, which was weird. 

The announcers didn't bother me too much. Tiger wasn't really saying anything anyway and if they talked over anything worthwhile, they went back and played it a couple minutes later. They did let you hear them talking to the caddies. 

But they also didn't shit talk and gamble nearly as much as I was hoping they would. After the first 6 or so holes, it seemed like Tiger went into his zone and wanted to focus on golf while Michelson was still kind of hamming it up for the cameras and talking to people as he was walking the course. The atmosphere clearly was to Phil's benefit. 

The people overreacting to it probably went in with unrealistic expectations or we're going to be negative no matter what happened. Bottom line is if the golf was better, people's perceptions of it would've been a lot better. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Someone texted me and summed it up as mediocre golf between people with personalities that don’t line up well.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    It was nice that it at least ended up being free
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Someone texted me and summed it up as mediocre golf between people with personalities that don’t line up well.

tiger doesn’t have a personality.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Wobbie said:

Or Phil’s greed that leads to insider trading and selling out your friend who gave you the tip. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:

Or Phil’s greed that leads to insider trading and selling out your friend who gave you the tip. 
    Nice fractured syntax.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Nice fractured syntax.

Thanks!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    bflynn1 said:
    It was nice that it at least ended up being free
    I just read about that. What an absolute mess. 
    Buzz, your girlfriend...woof
    Golfing tomorrow and so excited I can’t sleep.

played 36 last Sunday in 32 degree weather.  Was a great day!

You are a brave soul. 
    edited December 2018

Mid 50's here in the Delaware Valley and I have off! And it's pouring rain as usual!

ANYTIME the temps have approached foldable weather over the last two months, it's been accompanied by rain. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2018

Mid 50's here in the Delaware Valley and I have off! And it's pouring rain as usual!

ANYTIME the temps have approached foldable weather over the last two months, it's been accompanied by rain. 

That is pretty typical this time of year.  51 degrees....and rainy.   I tried to play a few weeks ago when the wind chill was about 20 degrees.  Only one course in the area was open and I was the only one out there.  I quit after nine holes because the ground at the course was completely frozen.  It was almost like the ball was landing on cart path so any slice or hook was flying another 20 yards right or left once it hit the ground.  Temperature was not the problem at all. 

I think I'm going to look into four or five golf days over the next three months were I hop on a 6am flight to Florida, play 36 holes, and then fly back that night. 

Kapalua!
    Kapalua!
    Best course I have personally played. Beautiful.