PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Any of you pillow biters want to check out Flyers Preds on Thursday?  Appears Mrs FMe cannot go.  
    I didn't go to the last game from our package and want to still go.  Got an extra ticket.

I’m in!

oh, wait....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    There seems to be no market for either of these guys. I’m sure it’s games, but what if there really isn’t...

could the Phillies end up with both? I have a very though time seeing that at $30 mil each...but what if it drops. Tough time seeing the Phillies beat out the yanks at under $300 for machado, but who knows. Gonna be an interesting few weeks for sure. If the Phillies did sign both, are they NL favorites? I’m not so sure.

Strap in...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    There seems to be no market for either of these guys. I’m sure it’s games, but what if there really isn’t...

could the Phillies end up with both? I have a very though time seeing that at $30 mil each...but what if it drops. Tough time seeing the Phillies beat out the yanks at under $300 for machado, but who knows. Gonna be an interesting few weeks for sure. If the Phillies did sign both, are they NL favorites? I’m not so sure.

Strap in...
    Don’t you go getting my hopes up again
    chinese-happy.jpg

Strap in...
    Looks like there are 4 teams for the 2 of them. White Sox, Yankees, Phillies and Dodgers, most of which have said they don't want to go $300 million.  If it gets under that, tough time seeing the Yankees not make a serious play and Machado wants the Yankees, so who knows, but I can't see the White Sox getting Harper, maybe Machado.  Dodgers seem to be in the same cheap ass situation as the Yankees.  That leaves you guys...

I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Yankees go get Harper. That would be a very George move. They say he doesn't fit, but that means Brett Gardner is blocking Harper, which come on...I don't see it happening, but wouldn't be shocked

Anything can really happen but I have a though time seeing the Phillies not get at least one.  I think it's a reeeeal long shot, but I could see them landing both, but a lot of things would have to break their way
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Strap in...
    Looks like there are 4 teams for the 2 of them. White Sox, Yankees, Phillies and Dodgers, most of which have said they don't want to go $300 million.  If it gets under that, tough time seeing the Yankees not make a serious play and Machado wants the Yankees, so who knows, but I can't see the White Sox getting Harper, maybe Machado.  Dodgers seem to be in the same cheap ass situation as the Yankees.  That leaves you guys...

I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Yankees go get Harper. That would be a very George move. They say he doesn't fit, but that means Brett Gardner is blocking Harper, which come on...I don't see it happening, but wouldn't be shocked

Anything can really happen but I have a though time seeing the Phillies not get at least one.  I think it's a reeeeal long shot, but I could see them landing both, but a lot of things would have to break their way
    Machado coming here tomorrow and has or is visiting the Yanks this week. I think his decision will come right after Christmas.  I think he ends up with Yankees.  Harper will go to whoever offers him the most money.  that is the White Sox only hope. I'd be surprised to see Harper end up there unless they blow the Phils out of the water.  To me it's the Phils or Dodgers for Harper.
    pjhawks said:

Strap in...

Machado coming here tomorrow and has or is visiting the Yanks this week. I think his decision will come right after Christmas.  I think he ends up with Yankees.  Harper will go to whoever offers him the most money.  that is the White Sox only hope. I'd be surprised to see Harper end up there unless they blow the Phils out of the water.  To me it's the Phils or Dodgers for Harper.
    Machado had White Sox Monday, Yankees today and Phillies tomorrow.

The only thing I am starting to question is whether the Yanks Harper position has bee BS all along but we'll see.  Trying to get my hopes back up that Hal doesn't completely suck but I think he completely sucks
    I like being the last team to meet with him. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I like being the last team to meet with him. 
    I don’t think it makes an ounce of a difference
    Nationals were the first team to meet with Corbin and the Yankees were the last 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

Strap in...

Don't forget the good old "mystery" team/s.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    anyone lucky enough to get tix for The War on Drugs tonight?  I'm going tomorrow, pretty stoked.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    anyone lucky enough to get tix for The War on Drugs tonight?  I'm going tomorrow, pretty stoked.
    I completely forgot about this
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    I completely forgot about this
    guess you're not going then :lol:  Although you probably can get tix for Friday's show at the Tower
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Seeing my buddy's band open for a band with the name Drugs in it on Saturday night, but that would be Work Drugs.
    Cliff - enough. Shut. Up.
    Ha, that is less about the Phillies and more about my philosophy that the opposite of whatever Nightengale says,  happens.  So it could be the White Sox too. Also, half serious.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Perfect fit?  He's an asshat!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Perfect fit?  He's an asshat!
    Therefore a perfect fit in the Bronx.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Ha, that is less about the Phillies and more about my philosophy that the opposite of whatever Nightengale says,  happens.  So it could be the White Sox too. Also, half serious.

Some of the stuff that these "insiders" tweet is just plain ridiculous.  So Nightengale tweets that the Yankees love Machado and think he would be a great fit....great insight.  Every team that talks to him feels that way.  Hopefully the dominos start falling here soon because I can't take any more of the "rumors"....no one knows shit.  And the white sox are just being used as leverage and will be left with nothing....fully expecting that.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

Some of the stuff that these "insiders" tweet is just plain ridiculous.  So Nightengale tweets that the Yankees love Machado and think he would be a great fit....great insight.  Every team that talks to him feels that way.  Hopefully the dominos start falling here soon because I can't take any more of the "rumors"....no one knows shit.  And the white sox are just being used as leverage and will be left with nothing....fully expecting that.
    Good to manage your expectations -- because if they don't overpay by a lot I would not think either guy picks the Pale Hose
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Right?  A team who needs infielders thinks a top 10 player in the game who happens to be an infielder is a great fit.  Thanks captain obvious.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

Good to manage your expectations -- because if they don't overpay by a lot I would not think either guy picks the Pale Hose
    Yep, that's the only way they'll get either guy I think....and since the biggest free agent contract Reinsdorf has ever given in $68M, very hard to see them outbidding everyone for Harper or Machado.  Future is bright with a ton of exciting prospect and they'll prob start competing in 2020, but they're still a tough sell right now.
    edited December 2018
    Yankees had him drive right into the stadium.  You guys make him get harassed by the rif raf already so he knows what he's in for.

And can't even step out into the cold to greet him.  Amateur hour over here 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    I'll put this here:

From the guy who made the Philly Sports Power Hour.  Awesome.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Yankees had him drive right into the stadium.  You guys make him get harassed by the rif raf already so he knows what he's in for.

safer to walk alone in South Philly than the Bronx.  besides letting construction workers greet him worked for Jim Thome
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:

safer to walk alone in South Philly than the Bronx.  besides letting construction workers greet him worked for Jim Thome
    Phillies don't need to do the Dog & Pony show? More of a down to earth approach?

I agree with pjhawks.
    Oh yeah, that makes complete sense...especially since you’re courting a real down to earth blue collar kinda guy

And if that were the case at least walk out of the stadium and greet the guy for fucks sake. That’s middle school etiquette 

in all seriousness none of these visits matter  you may get the guy because Hal is a cheap fuck, I just find it amusing the guy is basically walking through the rain on his way in getting harassed by construction workers and media 
    Four hours at CBP today and dinner tonight? Can't be a bad sign...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Four hours at CBP today and dinner tonight? Can't be a bad sign...
    I mean, the guy isn't going to get up and walk out in the middle of a meeting and it's not like dinner is spur of the moment.   He is going through with his plans.  You are making waaaaaayyy too much of these meetings. This isn't college. He's making sure he'd be comfortable with whoever offers him the most money and he will be...simple as that.

There are 3 teams and the team that gets him offers the biggest contract...quite possibly the Phillies