Formula One Freaks-this is it!

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:
    If anyone plays the F1 game on PS4, F1 2018 is on sale for $30 on the playstation network.  I played a little last night and can happily confirm that the understeer issue present in the 2017 game is gone.  I was able to beat my best lap 2017 time in Australia within 10 laps with making zero changes to the car setup.  In 2017, it seemed almost impossible to get through turn 15 without running off the track within five laps, even with making aggressive down-force mods in the car setup.

The game is much easier using a PS4 gamepad as well.  I've yet to use my wheel yet.   
    It's on sale on XB as well.  I am only on Bahrain in my 2017 campaign so I can't excuse getting the new one, personally :)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:
    If anyone plays the F1 game on PS4, F1 2018 is on sale for $30 on the playstation network.  I played a little last night and can happily confirm that the understeer issue present in the 2017 game is gone.  I was able to beat my best lap 2017 time in Australia within 10 laps with making zero changes to the car setup.  In 2017, it seemed almost impossible to get through turn 15 without running off the track within five laps, even with making aggressive down-force mods in the car setup.

The game is much easier using a PS4 gamepad as well.  I've yet to use my wheel yet.   
    It's on sale on XB as well.  I am only on Bahrain in my 2017 campaign so I can't excuse getting the new one, personally :)
    Yeah, I should have passed as I have plenty to do in 2017 but I'm a sucker for deals.   So far everything looks identical graphically (except for that damn halo that blocks 33% of my vision!  I'm still trying to figure out how to turn that off in the settings).

I feel like Ricky Bobby ...

Are you using cockpit view?

edited December 2018
    Rygar said:
    Are you using cockpit view?

Cockpit view is where it is the worst.  It was tough enough to pick break points without it.  Usually I drive with the cam above the driver's head so it isn't as big as a problem.  There is supposed to be a way to make it disappear in the settings.  I found it in the main menu and turned it off, but when I did some hot laps it had it back on and wouldn't let me adjust the setting to off.  If you prefer to drive in the cockpit view, it may be a major inconvenience. 

If I was concerned about getting killed in a major collision while sitting on my couch, I may appreciate it more.  But as I'm not to concerned about dying when I destroy several multi-million dollar cars per session I can do without it.  It's distracting and takes away from the atmosphere and graphics of the game in a bad way.  Some may argue it adds to the realism, but considering I just hit the restart button after slamming into the wall at 170 mph, who am I kidding ...

I'll try again tonight and see if the option to turn it off really works.  Also, I saw the Xbox has it for $24. 
    Post edited by Jason P on
    $32 CDN.

You make good points, it's unfortunate the game turns it back on although that sounds like a glitch.  I saw a video of cockpit view and it was definitely an issue.  I always use the TV pod camera above the driver's head.
    I figured it out ... you can turn the halo column off (ie the vertical bar that connects the halo to the front of the car) in cockpit view ... the main overhead halo will always be there.  Believe it or not this makes quite the difference in cockpit view with the way your brain processes things.

It still shows up in tv pod view but that doesn’t impact anything.  You’re not really looking at the car when your racing. 

At this point I think the halo is a nonissue from a racing standpoint.  Aesthetically I prefer the old look but the times are a changing, so they say. 
    Here is the super big change in F1 2018 ... it handles superbly better!  As I noted before the understeer issue is gone, but playing with a controller is less squirrelly as well.  Below are 10 lap results using current AMG on Australia under prime conditions with default car settings using a PS4 controller:

F1 2017:  10 laps, 3 invalidated due to spins that put my lap times to around 1:40.  Best time:  1.30.487; Seven lap average: 1.31.112

F1 2018:  10 laps, 1 invalidated due to a cat jumping in my lap.  Best time:  1.26.027; Nine lap average:  1.26.794

That is a HUGE difference in lap times.  Like Grand Canyon huge.  Makes racing the game so much more enjoyable and allows you to really push the car.  I'd say it's worth $32 CDN if 2017 was frustrating you in any way.
    One other small change that helps out a lot in 2018 is that there is an audible beep when DRS zone is available.  May seem minor, but it helps a lot as you don't have to be watching for the DRS option to pop up in the corner of your screen, thus you can focus on racing.  I imagine it will be a much bigger help in actual races when DRS isn't always available like it is in time trails. 
    I did hear that about controller handling as well.  I have a wheel but my F1 friends don't and won't play the game without one.
    The understeer hasn't really gotten to me yet, but now that you've brought it up maybe I'll be more aware of it.  Game ruined!
    I raced the last stint of China in the rain on supersofts, any slow corners were a disaster, but none of the AI pit for intermediates either and I think it was the first time I noticed the AI in the rain driving more human-like.  The top drivers didn't really make any mistakes but the gaps between the cars pretty much remained the same, which made me think they were struggling in the corners as much as I was.

I have a new F1 / GT style wheel and brake load cell coming in the next few days. I’ve been waiting to install those before bringing the rig out to race. 
    Jealous.  I bought the G920 Logitech for this gen of Xbox.  It's ok, wildly overpriced though.  
    I have a Fanatec wheel base that is compatible (I think the only Sony official) with PS4.  The new wheel has Xbox compatibility built into it.  Just got it installed.  Tried Forza Horizon 4 ... not good at all but I'll have to check online to see if anyone has a setting for that game ... I wasn't expecting much as it is more arcade.  Tried Forza Motorsport and it handled excellent.  Still lots of time to mess with settings and get it calibrated good.
    edited December 2018
    With the new wheel on F1 2018:

best lap:  1:24.809
    10 lap AVG:  1:25.750

glad to see the shitload of money I spent bought me one second!  :glasses:

a lot of fun, though :wink:
    Playseat has been around forever!  Pricey!

I had a Fanatec for Xbox 360, disappointing it didn't carry over to XB1 but no peripheral did. 
    You should be able to get the wheel working with Horizon, you could with all the others so should just be a matter of dialing in the settings.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    Cars are out, testing to begin soon!
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Cars look great, Ferraris are fast and the mercs are playing the bait and switch game again. Really looking forward to the season! WTF is wrong at Williams?
    Williams, as a team, look like a disaster again.
    Otherwise most of the teams look like they're doing something right. 
    The data analytics discussion on the F1 page is interesting.  https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.analysis-how-the-data-shows-its-advantage-ferrari-after-test-1.5aStps2ifXG0epMbEju5rv.html
    Hard to tell which teams are going all out. 
    Just found out I will be in Austin, TX next month when Indycar is racing Circuit of the Americas!  Anyone ever see the F1 race there and have seating suggestions? 
    Jason P said:
    Just found out I will be in Austin, TX next month when Indycar is racing Circuit of the Americas!  Anyone ever see the F1 race there and have seating suggestions? 
    Yes.  I have attended several F1 races at Cota. For me I love GA which allows you to pick a different spot each day but it does require planning. bringing a chair, and getting there early, especially on race day.  What we do every year is buy a parking pass for lot T and then sit on the hill by turn 1, or by the chicane on turns 4-6, or by turn 19.  Never sat in the middle near turns 12-16.  Different layout for indy, fewer grandstands.  Based on what I am seeing, you should have no problem getting a grandstand seat for turn one or the main grandstand. You can see most of the track from the top of turn 1, which most people regard as the best seats. Damn the tickets are about 1/3 cheaper than F1! Definitely worth the trip.
    Get_Right said:
    Jason P said:
    Yes.  I have attended several F1 races at Cota. For me I love GA which allows you to pick a different spot each day but it does require planning. bringing a chair, and getting there early, especially on race day.  What we do every year is buy a parking pass for lot T and then sit on the hill by turn 1, or by the chicane on turns 4-6, or by turn 19.  Never sat in the middle near turns 12-16.  Different layout for indy, fewer grandstands.  Based on what I am seeing, you should have no problem getting a grandstand seat for turn one or the main grandstand. You can see most of the track from the top of turn 1, which most people regard as the best seats. Damn the tickets are about 1/3 cheaper than F1! Definitely worth the trip.
    Thanks for the tips!  I was planning on GA for at least for qualifying so I could scout the track.
    Jason P said:
    Get_Right said:
    Jason P said:
    Thanks for the tips!  I was planning on GA for at least for qualifying so I could scout the track.
    I personally love GA, but it does require some effort.  Also helps if you are with a group to stake out space. Also, plan to walk a lot if you want to see the entire track, I think I clocked about 8-10 miles a day last year.  And if there has been any rain, the grounds will be very muddy.  Very muddy.  
    Netflix series Drive to Survive is very good even though Ferrari and Mercedes declined to participate.  Highly recommended as a tune up for the start of the season which starts this week!
    Yeah, kind of puts a damper on the whole weekend. Very sad.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Looks like things are starting where they finished last year with Merc dominance
    overall a good race
    too bad Ferrari is still protecting Seb
    feel sorry for Ricci for not finishing his home gp
    looks like it could 
    be a competitive season
    i like the extra fastest lap point
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    +1 on the fastest lap point.
    Seb and his $50m will always be #1 driver for Ferrari.  I was surprised how fast Leclerc was.  Hurray for Honda and the podium finish!
    Otherwise, this was not a very exciting race. Tough track for passing. Middle field all jammed up with nowhere to go. 

Got my tickets to COTA next week.  Ended up getting seats in Turn 15 but will spend Saturday checking out different vantage points around the track for qualifying and the Indy lights race.  

Australia was pretty ho-hum.  Would have been nice if it was five laps longer to see if Max could have gotten within a second of Hamilton in a DRS zone.