Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    There you have it folks, all we need is a good guy with a rake. Problem solved. /sarcasm
    Yes, because otherwise the bad guys with rakes will win. They’re the ones piling up the fuel in the forests. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've just told my fellow Aussies to get their rakes out as we approach summer and bushfire season.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    So, California ... you do not need cash donations, you need us to send rakes...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Another heartbreaking story to come out. 

Iconic Guitar Builder Loses His Home and Workshop to Flames in Paradise

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

See Trump is pitching in...
    Give Peas A Chance…

See Trump is pitching in...
    :lol:

Make America Rake Again!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Good luck Brian raking the forest floor out in California...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The new California motto:  One Rake at a Time.  :lol:

Of course, there is no easy answer to the problem of catastrophic fires here in the west.  Reducing global warming is a big factor and we are moving too slowly on that.  Continued control burning will help.  The other smart thing to do would be to NOT rebuild places like Paradise, California but it looks like people from there want to do that anyway.  That just seems incredibly foolish to me.  With the steep canyons surrounding that area, it will continue to be a high hazard area for fire.  In 2008 a 22,800 acre fires swept through the area.  It will just happen over and over again... and people want to rebuild there? 

Humans.  Not very bright animals. 

brianlux said:

Of course, there is no easy answer to the problem of catastrophic fires here in the west.  Reducing global warming is a big factor and we are moving too slowly on that.  Continued control burning will help.  The other smart thing to do would be to NOT rebuild places like Paradise, California but it looks like people from there want to do that anyway.  That just seems incredibly foolish to me.  With the steep canyons surrounding that area, it will continue to be a high hazard area for fire.  In 2008 a 22,800 acre fires swept through the area.  It will just happen over and over again... and people want to rebuild there? 

It would hurt if fewer people moving to California.  Because people need/use vast amounts of resources.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

It would hurt if fewer people moving to California.  Because people need/use vast amounts of resources.
    But this is an arid state.  More people here is not sustainable.  The aquifers have been reduced and drought is common.  The 20th century was an unusually wet period of time and we are returning to more drought.  And  global warming to that and the problem intensifies. This state is beyond carrying capacity already. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought there is many missing as well.  

PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, like 200 or something like that, last I heard.
    There will be more deaths discovered, but not all of the couple hundred that are missing.  Some of the house in that area are vacation properties.  In same cases, people where on vacation or away on business.  One woman I talked to today has a sister who was in another state camping in back country and didn't know about the fire until yesterday. 

And now, to make matters worse, the norovirus has broken out in one of the Chico wildfire shelters. 

Yeah sure, there are always some people who show up later when communication systems break down. But they are also working hard sifting through the ashes looking for human remains. It's horrible for anyone who doesn't know where a loved one is. I don't know if I could take it.

Yes, it's dreadful.  I don't personally know any of the missing folks from up there, but a few people close to me are going through the anxiety of not knowing where one particular couple are and that worry is causing a lot of stress. A lot of people in the foothill communities are stressed out and even more, of course, going though the worst hell of their lives. 

Despite the bad air and a persistent cough I and others around here have developed, I'm grateful to still have a home.  But we are also very dry here in El Dorado County.  We live in an area with more dead trees and dead shrubbery  than the county and many land/home owners can keep up with as far as removal.  Until we finally get some rain, ever day involves a fair amount of vigilance for fire.  It's nerve wracking.
    So I'm sorry if this is crass or whatever, but have you considered how long you're willing to put up with these fires around you? What if it just keeps on happening like it has been indefinitely, and you just live consistently with that kind of air? Are you just going to try and suck it up and live with it? Or are you thinking about moving?
    Not taken as crass at all.  I think about moving a lot.  

I grew up on the west coast about 1/2 hour from the ocean.  My mother grew up in Jenner-By-The-Sea on the Sonoma coast.  it's in my blood.  To live anywhere else (I've tried) would be futile.  The problem is that (for me anyway), living on the west coast means one of two things:  being very rich and living in an area that is fairly clean and healthy, or being middle to low income and living in a place that is not so healthy.  Unless I win the lottery (or get killed by lightning- same odds) I guess I'll just have to-- *cough*cough*hack*hack* -- deal with it. 

Edit:  And the irony is, where I live now is getting closer and closer to being 4 hours or more from here as traffic gets worse.  People still flock to California.  Why the hell?  Dunno!
    Couldn't you move to Oregon or Washington? There are plenty of smaller towns all up the coast where it's not insanely expensive, no? Especially if you're talking an hour inland or something...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, like 200 or something like that, last I heard.
    There will be more deaths discovered, but not all of the couple hundred that are missing.  Some of the house in that area are vacation properties.  In same cases, people where on vacation or away on business.  One woman I talked to today has a sister who was in another state camping in back country and didn't know about the fire until yesterday. 

And now, to make matters worse, the norovirus has broken out in one of the Chico wildfire shelters. 

Yeah sure, there are always some people who show up later when communication systems break down. But they are also working hard sifting through the ashes looking for human remains. It's horrible for anyone who doesn't know where a loved one is. I don't know if I could take it.

Yes, it's dreadful.  I don't personally know any of the missing folks from up there, but a few people close to me are going through the anxiety of not knowing where one particular couple are and that worry is causing a lot of stress. A lot of people in the foothill communities are stressed out and even more, of course, going though the worst hell of their lives. 

Despite the bad air and a persistent cough I and others around here have developed, I'm grateful to still have a home.  But we are also very dry here in El Dorado County.  We live in an area with more dead trees and dead shrubbery  than the county and many land/home owners can keep up with as far as removal.  Until we finally get some rain, ever day involves a fair amount of vigilance for fire.  It's nerve wracking.
    So I'm sorry if this is crass or whatever, but have you considered how long you're willing to put up with these fires around you? What if it just keeps on happening like it has been indefinitely, and you just live consistently with that kind of air? Are you just going to try and suck it up and live with it? Or are you thinking about moving?
    Not taken as crass at all.  I think about moving a lot.  

I grew up on the west coast about 1/2 hour from the ocean.  My mother grew up in Jenner-By-The-Sea on the Sonoma coast.  it's in my blood.  To live anywhere else (I've tried) would be futile.  The problem is that (for me anyway), living on the west coast means one of two things:  being very rich and living in an area that is fairly clean and healthy, or being middle to low income and living in a place that is not so healthy.  Unless I win the lottery (or get killed by lightning- same odds) I guess I'll just have to-- *cough*cough*hack*hack* -- deal with it. 

Edit:  And the irony is, where I live now is getting closer and closer to being 4 hours or more from here as traffic gets worse.  People still flock to California.  Why the hell?  Dunno!
    Couldn't you move to Oregon or Washington? There are plenty of smaller towns all up the coast where it's not insanely expensive, no? Especially if you're talking an hour inland or something...
    Western Oregon and Western Washington are pretty much the same as much of California as far as cost of living.  We've spent a fair amount of time exploring both options.  I still look at listings for much of the west coast but it gets a bit discouraging after a while.  A lot depends too on what happens when C. retires from the Bookstore she has been co-owner of for 35 years.  Our options will be more open.  Meanwhile, I am longing for the rain that is coming soon.  It will feel like a safety net!

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The So. Cal. burn areas are supposed to be hit with rain in the next day or so...hope these folks can avoid the anticipated mud and rock slides; fuck knows they've gone through (and lost) enough already.
    hedonist said:
    The So. Cal. burn areas are supposed to be hit with rain in the next day or so...hope these folks can avoid the anticipated mud and rock slides; fuck knows they've gone through (and lost) enough already.
    I hope so too. 

The rains are hitting north California steadily and already causing problems for the many folks in ten caps in and around Chico.  The rain is a real mixed bag.  It will help put out the fires.  It is a HUGE welcome relief for the many of us who live in fire danger areas of the state (i.e. a very large portion of the state).  And though overall this rain is much needed and very welcome, it is also adding to the misery of those without homes and could well create more problems with slides.  It's a major blessing with a cost to some of the less fortunate souls.  Money and housing are what these folks need most, rain is what the state as a whole is desperate for.

Brian.  Is there website where we can monitor the progress of these fires...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Fires raging in Queensland Australia.
    Time to rake.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Time to rake.
    Too late, y'all should have raked last week.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Time to rake.
    I got 5 snow shovels, I can send you 4.  You can shovel the forest floor...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    edited November 2018

Post edited by rhanishane on
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    edited November 2018
    Its not even summer here yet.. It's not going to be good.
    Post edited by rhanishane on
    And yet You Know Who still denies global warming.  Sigh.

Its not even summer here yet.. It's not going to be good.
    We can prevent this by raking.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Time to rake.
    Too late, y'all should have raked last week.
    Yep, we definitely should've lol
    Why rake when you can comb?

edited November 2018
    LOL
    New Barbie 'Trump' edition?