The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    I received my first legal weed in the mail this morning. 

How is it? I'm curious about the potency of it when compared to the stated THC ranges. Since I've never had labelled weed before, I really am not sure what levels I want to aim for. I do want potent weed, so I assume the high end would be good, but WTF does 0 - 25% THC mean, for example?? Does that mean I might get shake or I might get really strong weed or what??
    I'm not the guy to ask, I'm not an experienced smoker. My brother in-law who is a regular user said it was good, and it did the trick for everyone at the party. 

Where do you get the 0 to 25% numbers from?
    Some of the strains on the BC website are labelled with that. 0% - 25% THC. Most aren't like that, but a few are. And all of them have ranges for the THC content, i.e. 18% - 24%, etc. None of them just have a a set percentage. Clearly they are not willing to be accurate about the THC content in any case.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    In BC are they forcing the weed shops to close down?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited October 2018
    In BC are they forcing the weed shops to close down?  
    Yeah, a few have been, way far away from Vancouver. Nothing in Vancouver so far as far as I've heard. The problem BC is having with legal stores opening is that we just had all the municipal elections over the weekend. Great timing, lol (thought obviously Ontario didn't mind that!). So all the municipalities held off on getting the stores open in time for legalization because of that. Now that those are over, many municipalities will be going full steam ahead, supposedly, and many applications for private retail stores are going through the system now (of course others are refusing to have stores at all - BC is allowing them to decide that for themselves; I don't think most are bailing. Although I know the brand new mayor of Surrey - some old fart - ran saying he wouldn't allow them in Surrey, so that's kind of a big deal I guess. Glad I don't live there, lol. Anyway, besides the one government store in Kamloops, there aren't any official stores yet, though the online store is up and running of course. I assume people are just using that and going to the grey area dispensaries where they're still open.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the THC content in the winnipeg store i was at listed as one number. 18%, 22%, 25%. no ranges. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2018
    the THC content in the winnipeg store i was at listed as one number. 18%, 22%, 25%. no ranges. 
    Sounds nice! Yeah, the ranges are weird. It's like they're telling you "we bear no responsibility if this weeds turn out to be shit". :lol: I've actually emailed customer care to ask about this. I'll post whatever they have to say about it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sounds nice! Yeah, the ranges are weird. It's like they're telling you "we bear no responsibility if this weeds turn out to be shit". :lol: I've actually emailed customer care to ask about this. I'll post whatever they have to say about it.
    Here's what they said. So yeah... not great. Although I suppose it is honest of the distributor, and apparently I'll know what I actually get if I order and receive the package ... It sounds like the producers/suppliers are dropping the ball here. It's possible it's the same deal in Manitoba - the online store simply isn't being as transparent.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

On our online store, our products are listed with a range of THC and CBD to best reflect the data our Licensed Producers have on each strain. Depending on the batch, and within individual cannabis plants, cannabinoid compound concentrations can vary. The variance in percentage on our site reflects the range at which each product has been tested, and is listed to provide honest information to our customers.

Purchased product will be packaged with the batch-specific THC and CBD percentages that fall within the range listed on our site.

I hope this information has been helpful.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    So 0% - 25% must mean they haven't really actually tested it. Because you aren't going to get that kind of range from different batches of the same strain. And just about every strain offered is going to fall in that range. lol. That is the equivalent of a shoulder shrug. That would be like saying your beer's ABV is between 0% and 8%, ie most beers. Some will come in above the range, but it would be a safe range to provide for a beer with no actual measurements done.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    So 0% - 25% must mean they haven't really actually tested it. Because you aren't going to get that kind of range from different batches of the same strain. And just about every strain offered is going to fall in that range. lol. That is the equivalent of a shoulder shrug. That would be like saying your beer's ABV is between 0% and 8%, ie most beers. Some will come in above the range, but it would be a safe range to provide for a beer with no actual measurements done.
    I guess. Only a few of many are 0 - 25%. Most have a range between 4 and 5% from lowest to highest. So I'll have to assume that the one with 0 - 25% are the ones where, for whatever reason, they didn't have test info.... You wouldn't think they'd put it up for sale if it wasn't tested though.
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    I guess. Only a few of many are 0 - 25%. Most have a range between 4 and 5% from lowest to highest. So I'll have to assume that the one with 0 - 25% are the ones where, for whatever reason, they didn't have test info.... You wouldn't think they'd put it up for sale if it wasn't tested though.
    Yeah, that's why I found that strange. But these are early days, and I'm sure everything will get ironed out. I'm just happy and proud of Canada for showing how to do it on a national/federal level. I'd love the US to follow suit. We have some great pioneering states, but all of the states are still hamstrung by the feds (everything from banking to taxes become unreasonable burdens for state legal stores, producers, etc...).
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

How is it? I'm curious about the potency of it when compared to the stated THC ranges. Since I've never had labelled weed before, I really am not sure what levels I want to aim for. I do want potent weed, so I assume the high end would be good, but WTF does 0 - 25% THC mean, for example?? Does that mean I might get shake or I might get really strong weed or what??
    I'm not the guy to ask, I'm not an experienced smoker. My brother in-law who is a regular user said it was good, and it did the trick for everyone at the party. 

Wish I could see the label or image. I just see a gray screen with a line through it. But I don't understand how there would be a range. The flower either has a certain level of THC or it doesn't. I've never seen a range on any label in my state. Just an actual percentage. BTW, those percentages may or may not be helpful. Certainly the higher the percentage THC the more THC you'll be ingesting, but I've had "meh" experiences with higher THC labeled weed, and been couch-locked with some lower THC labeled weed. I think the strains make a difference, the type - indica vs sativa vs hybrid, makes more of a difference. The % is a decent indicator, but I can say from experience that it isn't like alcohol, where you know that ABV is an absolute value that will affect you in predicable ways, ie a 12% glass of wine is a nice, mellow, slow-ramping experience, and a shot of Bacardi 151 (75.5%) will hit you harder and faster. So I take THC % on labels with a grain of salt. I'm not looking for low % beginner weed, but a 27% THC weed isn't going to typically be demonstratively more potent than a 23% THC package. Part of the complex issue is how you ingest it. The way it is smoked, cooked, turned into concentrate, etc.., the amount of decarboxylation can vary. Too much heat and you kill the THC. Too little heat and you don't activate enough of the THC. Even with combustion and complete decarboxylation you only absorb ~40% of the max THC that was present in the weed. So again, take the % as simply an indicator, but don't make it your primary driver in the decision you make.
    There is a percentage on the box. It reads THC 0.73% (Total THC 20.88%) CBD 0.004% (Total CBD 0.037%)
    It's called Northern Harvest Strawberry ice Hybrid.

And thanks for the info, I will keep that all in mind for my next purchase. The rest of this batch will probably be made into brownies.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

Some of the strains on the BC website are labelled with that. 0% - 25% THC. Most aren't like that, but a few are. And all of them have ranges for the THC content, i.e. 18% - 24%, etc. None of them just have a a set percentage. Clearly they are not willing to be accurate about the THC content in any case.
    Huh, the % on the box is very specific (20.88%) but on Alberta cannabis website there is range of 15% to 25% THC content. That is interesting.
    Yeah, the bc store guy confirmed that the packaging is specific, but the website is not. I think the growers aren't giving accurate levels to the distributor, just ranges.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Maryland is slowly but surely coming along.  So as soon as I can save some dough (which might be a while) I'm going after my medical card.  A buddy of mine just got his and said it was pretty quick and painless. Turnaround time was about 3 weeks (they state up to 30 days) from the time he registered to the time he had the card in hand.  Prices at the dispensary in town are pretty in line with street prices as far as bud goes.  Vape cartridges are another story, almost double the street cost. But if I go out of town I could potentially get much better deals. We also have another dispensary coming in soon which should make the current one a little more competitively priced.  I haven't had a reliable source for a long time, and honestly, I can't even remember the last time I bought any. It'll be nice to just walk in a store and grab some when I want.

:lol:

Toronto Airport Says Cannabis Trash Cans Are Not 'Free Weed' Bins

Toronto’s Pearson Airport has an important message for would-be stem-pickers: The weed there is not up for grabs.

jeffbr said:

Toronto’s Pearson Airport has an important message for would-be stem-pickers: The weed there is not up for grabs.

LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • jeffbr said:

last time going thru the denver airport i saw these trash bins and thought about the lucky SOB who gets to empty them. i want that job!
    me...i just left my leftovers on a bench in the parking garage....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    jeffbr said:

last time going thru the denver airport i saw these trash bins and thought about the lucky SOB who gets to empty them. i want that job!
    me...i just left my leftovers on a bench in the parking garage....
    The people who clean out and prepare the rental cars at DIA also get to find/keep Colorado leftovers. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jeffbr said:

LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers as Michigan votes on Marijuana Legalization today. Thank you.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Hi! said:
    I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers as Michigan votes on Marijuana Legalization today. Thank you.
    Good luck 🍀 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Good luck Michigan!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited November 2018
    Damn straight...Tired of all these micro breweries..bring on the weed in Virginia some day..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Good luck today.

As someone who relies heavily on cannabis for health reasons, getting hit with an extra $75 on taxes today disgusts me.  It's arbitrary, of course; never paid since getting my doctor's rec and this shit adds up.  Now to get a state-verified card, I must travel to the local Health Department, and apply and pay the fee in person.

Assholes.
    hedonist said:
    Good luck today.

As someone who relies heavily on cannabis for health reasons, getting hit with an extra $75 on taxes today disgusts me.  It's arbitrary, of course; never paid since getting my doctor's rec and this shit adds up.  Now to get a state-verified card, I must travel to the local Health Department, and apply and pay the fee in person.

Assholes.
    I hear ya about the taxes.  I pay tax on my medicinal, and since legalization, we are also supposed to pay an excise tax ... my company so far eats the excise tax ... but they won't forever.  You have a right to be disgusted, $75 is steep.  Is it possible to grow your own?  There are a couple of clinics in my area that fills out the paperwork so I can grow my own.  With legalization we are allowed 4 plants no higher than 100 cm, except Manitoba, I believe the provincial government banned the growing of your own.  Going through health Canada and getting a grow licence gives one far greater leeway with how many plats you can have with no height limits.  I also read a piece in the paper in which a customs spokesperson from US customs says they are not turning back medicinal users ... so for me, I just renewed ... Good luck getting stuff sorted out. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    That sucks you have to pay the rec tax Hedo.  The woman I voted for governor in New Mexico favors legalization as does the man I voted for the Senate. I just got my medical card because even if the law changed I thought it would save on taxes. 75.00 would be a big hit!
    The dispensaries vary in taxes imposed; I ordered through a different one under the same "main" umbrella and voila - no fees!  It feels like the state is scrambling to catch up to the need, cost, logistics, etc. (or just playing dumb).  There's a Canadian company whose stocks and progress we've been watching which, if it works, would be fantastic for users both within and outside of Canada.

As to growing our own, living in a 700 sf condo with two cats doesn't make it feasible for us...though might be worth a shot down the road.  I'm OK with plants in general but my husband is the canna king =)
    Are you even allowed to grow in your condo if you wanted to? Here renters and stratas are allowed to ban home growing because of the potential damage it can do to the units, and/or because of fire hazards with grow lights.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Are you even allowed to grow in your condo if you wanted to? Here renters and stratas are allowed to ban home growing because of the potential damage it can do to the units, and/or because of fire hazards with grow lights.
    Very good points.  Here in Ontario rental companies have been banning smoking and vaping within a rental unit and on their property.  The smoking I understand, the vaping makes no sense.  I'm not even sure about smoking.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very good points.  Here in Ontario rental companies have been banning smoking and vaping within a rental unit and on their property.  The smoking I understand, the vaping makes no sense.  I'm not even sure about smoking.  
    Yeah, the vaping makes no sense at all. If I lived in a place that banned vaping I'd just vape anyhow though. Nobody would know the difference.
    My own building (owned by a very large rental management company that also owns its buildings, based in Toronto) have banned growing of any kind, but we're still actually allowed to smoke cigs and weed, as long as it's in our own units (including the balcony). We're just not allowed to smoke anything in public/shared areas of the building.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fortunately, we own our place and doubt smoking would ever be banned in our building.  For growing, I've only seen that illegal or hazardous plants aren't allowed, so we're in the clear!  Not sure I'm up for the hassle, cost and now risk (?!) associated with it.