Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The only thing more romantic than creating a poll in a girl's honor is the "why not, she's cute and fun" sentiment...like you're hitting on someone in an orphanage. 
    :lol: Good point.
    Sounds like you've known her for years S_C, and you've only gotten to the "cute and fun, why not?" stage... maybe she's not for you after all... :pensive:
    Maybe not. But she was open to watching A Nightmare on Elm Street. And at 34 and miserable -- THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

And yeah, I studied with her for two years. And after that we've kept in touch. She even tried to get me a job at her agency. So she's cool. 
    Wait, the two of you watched a movie alone? That s a date in my experience. 
    I go and see movies with guys all the time, and they're not dates. I just had a man over to my place on Friday night and we watched a movie there. He's a friend. Men and women can do stuff platonically. It's only a date if both parties know it's a date, lol.
    Hmmmm interesting. I would assume that would be a date. So spiritual, you watched a movie with this woman, why is it so hard to ask her out?  You need me to fly to Sweden to teach you how to talk to women? ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited October 2018
    No
    PJ_Soul said:
    Serious question: Should you start dating someone when you're  miserable? 
    Probably makes sense for the miserable person to give it a shot, but it's not great to start dating someone who is miserable.
    That does make sense. Seems unfair though, like the miserable person might expect the other person to be the sole provider of their happiness. I could be wrong about that, but that is what it seems like most of the time.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The only thing more romantic than creating a poll in a girl's honor is the "why not, she's cute and fun" sentiment...like you're hitting on someone in an orphanage. 
    Sounds like you've known her for years S_C, and you've only gotten to the "cute and fun, why not?" stage... maybe she's not for you after all... :pensive:
    Maybe not. But she was open to watching A Nightmare on Elm Street. And at 34 and miserable -- THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

And yeah, I studied with her for two years. And after that we've kept in touch. She even tried to get me a job at her agency. So she's cool. 
    I go and see movies with guys all the time, and they're not dates. I just had a man over to my place on Friday night and we watched a movie there. He's a friend. Men and women can do stuff platonically. It's only a date if both parties know it's a date, lol.
    Hmmmm interesting. I would assume that would be a date. So spiritual, you watched a movie with this woman, why is it so hard to ask her out?  You need me to fly to Sweden to teach you how to talk to women? ;)
    Dates are romantic affairs. If there isn't any romance, it's just two friends hanging out. Don't you have any female friends?
    If he's solidly in the friend-zone as far as she is concerned, asking her out could end the friendship. I think that's probably where the concern is....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dates are romantic affairs. If there isn't any romance, it's just two friends hanging out. Don't you have any female friends?
    If he's solidly in the friend-zone as far as she is concerned, asking her out could end the friendship. I think that's probably where the concern is....
    Allie if I told my wife I am going out for a drink or watch a movie with another woman I would probably be calling a divorce lawyer the next day lol. I am friendly with lots of woman at work but I d never meet up with them anywhere alone. That is a recipe for disaster!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Allie if I told my wife I am going out for a drink or watch a movie with another woman I would probably be calling a divorce lawyer the next day lol. I am friendly with lots of woman at work but I d never meet up with them anywhere alone. That is a recipe for disaster!!
    Well that sucks. I have many male friends whose wives I'm also friends with. They don't mind their husbands going out with me at all, and it happens regularly. The guy who was over at my place on Friday, just the two of us, is one of my best friends, and his wife is another of my best friends. She was home with their kids. I went out just with her last weekend so he could stay home with the kids. My male friends' wives trust me and their husbands. And there is absolutely no chance whatsoever for disaster. Such a "disaster" is literally impossible because me and my friends would never do such a thing, period.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    Scruffy thinks he has enough game for a “disaster.” :lol:

You’re lucky two women have said yes, you big doofus. :rofl:

Most of my friends are women. My wife has always been OK with that. Some are even exes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Yes
    dankind said:

Most of my friends are women. My wife has always been OK with that. Some are even exes. 
    All spiritual has to do is buy me a plane ticket and I am there for him in an instant. 
    You are friends with your exes?! Wow. 
    No
    PJ_Soul, it really says a lot about you that you are able to maintain those friendships in such a way. You must be extremely trustworthy and loyal. 

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I literally just vomited in my mouth. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No kidding! That is just a bad idea. For years, even me playing coed softball (with girlfriend invited to play or even come watch/drink, though she never did) was an annual issue at the start of the season. 

Hanging together alone is a recipe for things to happen. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Yes
    dankind said:

Hanging with exes while you're dating/married to somebody else?!?!?!

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    I think I'm insecure. 
    I am friends with my ex wife
    My partner is not friends with her ex husband (he mistreated her )
    When I was married I had female friends  and my partner she had male friends. One of them me.
    I no longer think I could handle my wife/partner goimg out with men and likewise I wouldn't  want to go out with just women. Uncomfortable  for me. My problem I know . But I've seen what can happen.  I must stress neither of us have ever cheated . We were with our previous partners 20 plus years. And both separated and friends before we got together.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

People have friends of another gender...

You never had female buddies in like college or whatever?

Is it another US-Sweden cultural difference? ... hehe
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So, you did it??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I understand mcgruff10, what he says makes sense to me. If I would go to the movies with one male friend it would be kind of strange towards your partner. It's different if it would be a group of people though.
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I graduated college 18 years ago, that was literally a life time ago. I think it is just a personal issue.  However I really can’t think of any married people that I know that hang out with the opposite gender. Why would I go to the movies with another woman?  I would would just go with my wife. Same thing, go to a bar with another woman?  Hell no I'd go with my wife.  

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    Yes
    Annafalk said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I understand mcgruff10, what he says makes sense to me. If I would go to the movies with one male friend it would be kind of strange towards your partner. It's different if it would be a group of people though.
    Agreed, hanging out in a group is very acceptable.  One on one,  yeah no way.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well that sucks. I have many male friends whose wives I'm also friends with. They don't mind their husbands going out with me at all, and it happens regularly. The guy who was over at my place on Friday, just the two of us, is one of my best friends, and his wife is another of my best friends. She was home with their kids. I went out just with her last weekend so he could stay home with the kids. My male friends' wives trust me and their husbands. And there is absolutely no chance whatsoever for disaster. Such a "disaster" is literally impossible because me and my friends would never do such a thing, period.
    "My male friends' wives trust me and their husbands." Hahahaha

"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    No
    I think I'm insecure. 
    I am friends with my ex wife
    My partner is not friends with her ex husband (he mistreated her )
    When I was married I had female friends  and my partner she had male friends. One of them me.
    I no longer think I could handle my wife/partner goimg out with men and likewise I wouldn't  want to go out with just women. Uncomfortable  for me. My problem I know . But I've seen what can happen.  I must stress neither of us have ever cheated . We were with our previous partners 20 plus years. And both separated and friends before we got together.
    That's just what works for you guys, right? It doesn't have to mean you're  insecure or that you have a problem.
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I literally just vomited in my mouth. 
    You love it!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Annafalk said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So, you have no female friends? Just "female friends acceptable if other people are present"? 

I have a bunch of female friends, and former classmates I meet up with for a beer or go to IKEA etc. And have had when in relationship also.

But that can differ ofc. But in my circle we had one of those jealous types that didn't want her boyfriend to hang around girls etc and we all found that woman loco.

But with @Annafalk saying its like that for her, I guess it's not that common over here in Sweden. But that has never been an issue in the circles I've been in.

EDIT: I saw your response Mcgruff after I posted this.  

But yeah, you look at is as "another woman", I look at is as "a friend". I would not go to the cinema with "another women", i would go with "my friend", whether it is Erica or Eric. 

But whatever. This doesn't help me asking her out in any way. Haha.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • And anyways -- I have not seen ANOES with her -- but we once talked about seeing it together because she had not seen it and it is a MASTERPIECE. And at that time she had a boyfriend, which I'm also friends with. And it would have been no big deal. But we were all classmates and knew eachother, I guess it could have been different if I was some unknown casanova who her boyfriend did not know at all. 
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Annafalk said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So, you have no female friends? Just "female friends acceptable if other people are present"? 

I have a bunch of female friends, and former classmates I meet up with for a beer or go to IKEA etc. And have had when in relationship also.

But that can differ ofc. But in my circle we had one of those jealous types that didn't want her boyfriend to hang around girls etc and we all found that woman loco.

But with @Annafalk saying its like that for her, I guess it's not that common over here in Sweden. But that has never been an issue in the circles I've been in.

EDIT: I saw your response Mcgruff after I posted this.  

But yeah, you look at is as "another woman", I look at is as "a friend". I would not go to the cinema with "another women", i would go with "my friend", whether it is Erica or Eric. 

But whatever. This doesn't help me asking her out in any way. Haha.
    Fly me to Sweden. I will help you. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I went to a movie with a friend in college. The next day she was telling everyone I was her boyfriend.
    I avoided her the rest of the semester.
    I probably should have handled that differently. 
    No
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I went to a movie with a friend in college. The next day she was telling everyone I was her boyfriend.
    Did you pay for everything at the movie?
    Yes
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Did you pay for everything at the movie?
    Nope, just for my ticket. And I put the arm rest down between us before we even sat.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    You get any popcorn?

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I had a girl, after one date, say "Goodnight, I love you" when I dropped her off.  The only thing I could think to say was "No." :lol:
    Yes
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I had a girl, after one date, say "Goodnight, I love you" when I dropped her off.  The only thing I could think to say was "No." :lol:
    and now she is Mrs. Dyer?
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

and now she is Mrs. Dyer?
    He doesn't know this, but that's how she signs all her legal documents.