This thread has gone far enough. "Be kind." -Ilona Anne Coggswater

123457»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I would say sometimes it has gone too far. I don't think it's ok that people get hanged out by media just because someone has accused someone for something.  It seems to have been like a witch hunt at times. 

Finally a voice of reason...
    saying the movement has gone too far in this context is the same as blaming islam for suicide bombings. there are some that co-opt the movement and tarnish what it is about. it doesn't mean the movement itself is to blame. 

Annafalk said:
    I would say sometimes it has gone too far. I don't think it's ok that people get hanged out by media just because someone has accused someone for something.  It seems to have been like a witch hunt at times. 

Finally a voice of reason...
    saying the movement has gone too far in this context is the same as blaming islam for suicide bombings. there are some that co-opt the movement and tarnish what it is about. it doesn't mean the movement itself is to blame. 
    Is it really guaranteed that no one has been wrongly accused?
    We've had people taken their own life's because of accusations that's actually never been tested in trial, people who has been judged before they got a chance to defend themselves. I'm all for women's right but I think no one should be judged unjust.
    but that's not the fault of the movement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

along the same lines, I saw something on facebook yesterday that really opened my eyes. It went something like this:

"if a boy is teasing your daughter, don't tell her it's because he likes her. don't start her off teaching her that harassment is equal to love"
    Holy crap...that makes so much sense and yet I never thought of it.  Damn it.  I have a daughter and I'm pretty sure I have said to that to her about a kid.  Thanks...gotta change the message.
    I know. me too. I was so glad I saw that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:
    One thing I learned growing up was that the only certain form of justice in place for a rapist is vigilante justice. A few decades later that still seems to be the case.
    Same on physical abuse.   It never got old.  If I saw the guy tomorrow I would beat the fuck out of him, 20 years later, again, just for funsies.  He caught beatings from about 10 people.  There was no "PROOF" -- she didn't have a camera handy when he slapped the shit out of her.  Saying you need PROOF is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. 

He pissed himself one time during a beat down, I heard.  Wish I was there to see that one.  I actually broke a finger punching the side of his head one time.  Wish I could do that every day.  You fucking hit my sister? 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2018
    along the same lines, I saw something on facebook yesterday that really opened my eyes. It went something like this:

"if a boy is teasing your daughter, don't tell her it's because he likes her. don't start her off teaching her that harassment is equal to love"
    Good point.  I guess maybe we should tell the boys that too when they are harassed by a girl to help them avoid some of the psycho women out there?  I specifically remember being told this by my parents when I was being picked on by a little girl when I was 5...wait, we were best friends later in life, lol. Maybe we should just collectively teach our children not to pick on each other...
    Edit: I think there are different levels of acceptable “teasing”.  A little boy sticking his young out at a girl is different than a little  boy trying to put his hands up a girls skirt.  There are certain behaviors that school officials should note and take seriously if they become a pattern.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:

Good point.  I guess maybe we should tell the boys that too when they are harassed by a girl to help them avoid some of the psycho women out there?  I specifically remember being told this by my parents when I was being picked on by a little girl when I was 5...wait, we were best friends later in life, lol. Maybe we should just collectively teach our children not to pick on each other...
    well of course, but in the meantime, this is a very common thing people say to their daughters, and we need to change that. it's such a simple, and seemingly harmless thing to say, because when we say it, our kids aren't at the age of being sexual or even just relationships, so we don't think in those terms yet. we need to start, though. it's important to ingrain the proper messages. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:

the difference is, with regards to "avoiding the psycho women out there", is that in nearly all cases, the man isn't in any physical danger. just emotional. the two can't be compared. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018
    PJPOWER said:

the difference is, with regards to "avoiding the psycho women out there", is that in nearly all cases, the man isn't in any physical danger. just emotional. the two can't be compared. 
    Maybe they cannot be compared in terms of sexual assault...but emotional abuse is nothing to take lightly.  It could very well be what leads a child to commit acts of violence or sexual assault in the future.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Emotional abuse is just as harmful as physical in some cases.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The ones on here threatening physical violence ... LMFAO.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Emotional abuse is physical abuse.  Don’t believe me?  Look at brain scans of children that have been emotionally abused and compare them to ones that have not.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    HFD, Curmudgeoness, and OnWis...
    Thank you for your measured and thoughftul responses that didn't attack me and put insane words into my mouth.
    I agree with you all, and this is the depth I wish conversation could reach in the wider world, but it doesn't because people here are much smarter and classy than the real world.
    You have to get into the nuance and the complication of an issue to really deal with it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    I honestly get nervous when my wife decides to go for a walk by the river after dark. I do have an anxiety and overactive imagination problem, but still......with two daughters, I'm going to have a VERY difficult time.
    My daughter lives in NYC and I can start imagining horrible scenarios occasionally, but I have to stop myself because nothing good comes from it, and it can actually create resentment on her end. She knows how to take care of herself and prides herself on being independent. If I go too far with “be careful blah blah” stuff irritates her. It’s a tough line to walk because you want to protect them at the same time you want them to project their own strength and awareness 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I honestly get nervous when my wife decides to go for a walk by the river after dark. I do have an anxiety and overactive imagination problem, but still......with two daughters, I'm going to have a VERY difficult time.
    My daughter lives in NYC and I can start imagining horrible scenarios occasionally, but I have to stop myself because nothing good comes from it, and it can actually create resentment on her end. She knows how to take care of herself and prides herself on being independent. If I go too far with “be careful blah blah” stuff irritates her. It’s a tough line to walk because you want to protect them at the same time you want them to project their own strength and awareness 
    New Yorkers look out for each other. She's in a good place.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    even though you hear about the crime rate in NYC, isn't it statistically one of the safest big cities in the US?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    Emotional abuse is physical abuse.  Don’t believe me?  Look at brain scans of children that have been emotionally abused and compare them to ones that have not.
    I'm not doubting you, here in Canada the suicide rate among men who are divorced and were raped by family law lawyers and judges is not good...and that's all emotional.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJPOWER said:
    I'm not doubting you, here in Canada the suicide rate among men who are divorced and were raped by family law lawyers and judges is not good...and that's all emotional.
    Just when I thought the conversation could not get any dumber....
    Geebus, somebody has some Little Man Syndrome with acute Bitterness and chronic Butthurt.
    TRT might be called for here.
    PJPOWER said:
    Its exactly what's happening ... unlike you I'm haven't been castrated by the woman's movement...you are also the one who threatens physical violence...but doubtful you can back it up...POS
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJPOWER said:
    Its exactly what's happening ... unlike you I'm haven't been castrated by the woman's movement...you are also the one who threatens physical violence...but doubtful you can back it up...POS
    Be careful you aren't castrating yourself with your own inadequacy, that's a super common side effect of LMS.
    PJPOWER said:
    I am a piece of shit?
    You just equated an act of jurisprudence to an act of sexual violence.

I did not threaten physical violence, I shared a recollection of some justice served up to someone who beat my sister, years ago.  The rain should pour on the guy's head for the rest of his days.  I have no problem owning those comments.

I like that you consider me a piece of shit, though.  This is a badge I can wear proudly -- your opinion on this topic is as vile as the comparison you made above and I am happy to be on the opposite side in this (and many) instances from you.

edited September 2018
    even though you hear about the crime rate in NYC, isn't it statistically one of the safest big cities in the US?
    I think that is true regarding NYC itself...some of the outlying areas such as Manhattan, not so much.
    this thread was respectful for a while, anyway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Closed for review.

Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.