Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    What's insulting is they play the mental health card instantly.  He may have suffered from mental health issues.  But his actions were pre-mediitated ... all his fucking family did was add to the stigma of mental health.  Quit defending this terrorist because the mental health card was played ... fuck this asshole.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    What's insulting is they play the mental health card instantly.  He may have suffered from mental health issues.  But his actions were pre-mediitated ... all his fucking family did was add to the stigma of mental health.  Quit defending this terrorist because the mental health card was played ... fuck this asshole.
    I’m not sure that anyone’s been defending the shooter, and I assure you we’re in total agreement on the main point: fuck the asshole (one can only hope he’s currently being literally fucked in Hell, since he avoided jailhouse justice).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    I’m not sure that anyone’s been defending the shooter, and I assure you we’re in total agreement on the main point: fuck the asshole (one can only hope he’s currently being literally fucked in Hell, since he avoided jailhouse justice).
    Fair enough.  How about this?  The family played the mental health card.  Now they need to offer proof.  But we'll see ... more to follow I'm sure.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Toronto council wants Ottawa to ban sale of handguns within city limits

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toronto-council-wants-ottawa-to-ban-sale-of-handguns-within-city-limits-1.4026911?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvnews:post&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b59becb9ac5640007fbcd57&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Someone should let the mayor know that legal handguns are not the problem.  Plus Toronto, you don't live on an island.  More knee jerk reaction from more useless politicians...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Ontario teacher charged in drowning of Jeremiah Perry in Algonquin Park canoe trip

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-man-charged-in-death-of-jeremiah-perry-1.4762341

I spent 25 years working for a school and have lost count as to how many teachers no longer participate in field trip type of activities because they worried something like this would happen to them ... essentially the risk was no longer worth the reward.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    Ontario teacher charged in drowning of Jeremiah Perry in Algonquin Park canoe trip

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-man-charged-in-death-of-jeremiah-perry-1.4762341

I spent 25 years working for a school and have lost count as to how many teachers no longer participate in field trip type of activities because they worried something like this would happen to them ... essentially the risk was no longer worth the reward.
    @Thirty Bills Unpaid you are a teacher, what do think?
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Geez, you'd think the parental permission forms would take care of shit like that. Obviously not. They should. If parents don't want to accept the risks of such trips, they shouldn't let their kids go.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

As I understand it, it was actually clear negligence in this case. A child went on a canoe trip, but the school/organizers didn’t do their due diligence to confirm the students actually had the swimming skills they claimed.
    When I went on a similar trip with Scouts, a pool was rented and we were tested on both swimming and canoeing abilities.
     I don’t see them throwing the book at the teacher, more just send a message.

As I understand it, it was actually clear negligence in this case. A child went on a canoe trip, but the school/organizers didn’t do their due diligence to confirm the students actually had the swimming skills they claimed.
    When I went on a similar trip with Scouts, a pool was rented and we were tested on both swimming and canoeing abilities.
    I'll never understand anyone going out on the water and not wearing a life jacket.  I do not even think this case will get to court.  The Teachers union will back him and they have plenty of money for his legal defence...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Ontario teacher charged in drowning of Jeremiah Perry in Algonquin Park canoe trip

@thi@"Thirty Bills Unpaid" you are a teacher, what do think?

I read the story.

It's obviously a really tragic event, but the details were faint with regards to what the extent of the negligence was on the part of the teacher. Did he push him into the water? Was he busy doing something and had a lapse in supervision?  

I'm wondering why- after a failed the swim test- the kid was even there in the first place?

But to your point, the cumbersome amount of paperwork needed to (say) go bowling on a bus has turned teachers off from organizing field trips... let alone the fact that if something goes wrong... the teacher is hung out to dry. I could offer several examples where kids were taken off campus on an organized event, have acted poorly, got themselves into some kind of trouble, and the teacher was blamed with no ramifications for the kids. Sheer nonsense.  

Typically, teachers will try to get permission forms and waivers signed, as well as collecting monies, from all kids well in advance (these things tend to trickle in very slowly). Many times, 5-6 kids will not have turned anything in once the day of the event is upon them. This leads to a supervision issue: the kids cannot attend and now there is a segment of the class unattended. This forces the organizing teacher to scramble at the last minute and try and find somewhere for the kids to be. There is always another accommodating teacher, but inevitably (for many reasons) the situation is far from ideal.

Again, and as sad as it is, most teachers abstain from planning such events.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Ontario teacher charged in drowning of Jeremiah Perry in Algonquin Park canoe trip

I kind of alluded to it in my response earlier... but do they cancel the trip because 4 kids couldn't pass the test? If they proceed with the event, where do the 4 kids go? Do they accompany the group, but stay on shore? Do they stay behind for some form of babysitting? Do they go with the group- told to stay on shore- but seize an opportunity to jump into a canoe with a friend who encourages them (while the teacher is preoccupied with 25 other kids on the water)?

@thi@"Thirty Bills Unpaid" you are a teacher, what do think?

I read the story.

It's obviously a really tragic event, but the details were faint with regards to what the extent of the negligence was on the part of the teacher. Did he push him into the water? Was he busy doing something and had a lapse in supervision?  

I'm wondering why- after a failed the swim test- the kid was even there in the first place?

But to your point, the cumbersome amount of paperwork needed to (say) go bowling on a bus has turned teachers off from organizing field trips... let alone the fact that if something goes wrong... the teacher is hung out to dry. I could offer several examples where kids were taken off campus on an organized event, have acted poorly, got themselves into some kind of trouble, and the teacher was blamed with no ramifications for the kids. Sheer nonsense.  

Typically, teachers will try to get permission forms and waivers signed, as well as collecting monies, from all kids well in advance (these things tend to trickle in very slowly). Many times, 5-6 kids will not have turned anything in once the day of the event is upon them. This leads to a supervision issue: the kids cannot attend and now there is a segment of the class unattended. This forces the organizing teacher to scramble at the last minute and try and find somewhere for the kids to be. There is always another accommodating teacher, but inevitably (for many reasons) the situation is far from ideal.

Again, and as sad as it is, most teachers abstain from planning such events.
    Pretty much everything you have said is what I've heard from other teachers.  The other problem, at least where I worked ... was coaches needed to rely on volunteer parents as drivers.  The board introduced a policy that requires all drivers to produce proof they have 2 million dollars liability.  Needless to say, they have a tough time getting volunteer drivers now.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    Toronto Police Investigating After Video Shows Man Yelling At Family About His 'F***ing Province

'https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/07/26/toronto-police-investigating-after-video-shows-man-yelling-at-family-about-his-f-ing-province_a_23490121/?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000001

We will never know what started the confrontation.  But, please explain why weed was illegal.  This is alcohol fuelled hate.  Just sad.
    Give Peas A Chance…

I kind of alluded to it in my response earlier... but do they cancel the trip because 4 kids couldn't pass the test? If they proceed with the event, where do the 4 kids go? Do they accompany the group, but stay on shore? Do they stay behind for some form of babysitting? Do they go with the group- told to stay on shore- but seize an opportunity to jump into a canoe with a friend who encourages them (while the teacher is preoccupied with 25 other kids on the water)?
    I just watched an interview with a representative of the school board where he flat-out said several students failed the swim test, which should have meant they never got on the bus out of the city in the first place. I’m guessing the charges were laid because this teacher made the call to include students on the trip that should’ve been ineligible.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    first off, Police have said that he was known to the police in the past mostly involving mental health issue so don't think its fair to say that he "may" have suffered from mental health.  

Secondly, everything around mental health leads to more stigma for people who don't know shit about mental health.  even your comment about playing the mental health card leads to more stigma.

Thirdly, I have not seen 1 person defend this person so don't know where that comment came from.

Lastly, I hope the families of the victims can find solace one day in their loss.

I just watched an interview with a representative of the school board where he flat-out said several students failed the swim test, which should have meant they never got on the bus out of the city in the first place. I’m guessing the charges were laid because this teacher made the call to include students on the trip that should’ve been ineligible.

I had read four students never passed the test (that's why I used that number in my response to you).

What to do with these four kids?

Was the teacher instructed to take the four kids, but keep them out of the water? Was the teacher told to cancel the trip given four kids couldn't pass the basic swim test?

Ski trips are the classic. Kids love them and they are a great event; however, the mountain is big and the teacher cannot be everywhere. No matter how many talks the teacher has had with the kids on appropriate behaviour... someone skis out of bounds and gets hurt... someone smokes dope and gets caught... someone becomes adversarial with a community member... someone steals something... someone (use your imagination)... and it all falls onto the teacher's shoulders. 

Bottom line: don't organize these events. Stay nice and safe and secure inside your classroom and offer kids nothing that enriches their school experience. Fun eh?
    edited July 2018

I had read four students never passed the test (that's why I used that number in my response to you).

Was the teacher instructed to take the four kids, but keep them out of the water? Was the teacher told to cancel the trip given four kids couldn't pass the basic swim test?

Ski trips are the classic. Kids love them and they are a great event; however, the mountain is big and the teacher cannot be everywhere. No matter how many talks the teacher has had with the kids on appropriate behaviour... someone skis out of bounds and gets hurt... someone smokes dope and gets caught... someone becomes adversarial with a community member... someone steals something... someone (use your imagination)... and it all falls onto the teacher's shoulders. 

Bottom line: don't organize these events. Stay nice and safe and secure inside your classroom and offer kids nothing that enriches their school experience. Fun eh?
    Well I dunno - I never had these weird recreational field trips like you're talking about. Wtf does skiing and canoeing have to do with getting an education?? All of my field trips were specifically educational, like to history museums and any number of other places with a specific learning goal in mind. That kind of thing enriches the school experience. Going on ski trips and shit just sounds like a waste of school hours to me. I'm fine with after school trips that parents pay for that are recreational, but then I would expect the parents to accept responsibility for their kids' safety legally. And then if the parents don't want to take that responsibility, they can keep their kids home outside of school hours, obviously. If that isn't reasonable, then yeah, don't do such trips through the school; I don't think cancelling skiing and bowling during school hours is a great loss (I'll note that both of my parents and 3 out of 4 of my grandparents and 2 of my aunts were all teachers (my dad was actually a principal. So while I'm not a teacher, I do at least have some knowledge base about this stuff, because someone claims that I literally have no clue what I'm going on about, lol).

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Well I dunno - I never had these weird recreational field trips like you're talking about. Wtf does skiing and canoeing have to do with getting an education?? All of my field trips were specifically educational, like to history museums and any number of other places with a specific learning goal in mind. That kind of thing enriches the school experience. Going on ski trips and shit just sounds like a waste of school hours to me. I'm fine with after school trips that parents pay for that are recreational, but then I would expect the parents to accept responsibility for their kids' safety legally. And then if the parents don't want to take that responsibility, they can keep their kids home outside of school hours, obviously. If that isn't reasonable, then yeah, don't do such trips through the school; I don't think cancelling skiing and bowling during school hours is a great loss (I'll note that both of my parents and 3 out of 4 of my grandparents and 2 of my aunts were all teachers (my dad was actually a principal. So while I'm not a teacher, I do at least have some knowledge base about this stuff, because someone claims that I literally have no clue what I'm going on about, lol).

The trips I describe are extra-curricular. They don't typically 'replace' regular school curriculum. 

They have their purpose- they can bring the school community closer together. They also allow for kids that can never get to the mountain (or lake) an opportunity to do so. It's an opportunity for kids to be social with each other.

The kids want these things. When I went to school, there were dances and events all the time. This is not the case anymore. School is kind of becoming a drab place of business. It's my feel that school should offer more than the ABCs.
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

The trips I describe are extra-curricular. They don't typically 'replace' regular school curriculum. 

They have their purpose- they can bring the school community closer together. They also allow for kids that can never get to the mountain (or lake) an opportunity to do so. It's an opportunity for kids to be social with each other.

The kids want these things. When I went to school, there were dances and events all the time. This is not the case anymore. School is kind of becoming a drab place of business. It's my feel that school should offer more than the ABCs.
    Oh, okay, I thought you were talking during school time, aka field trips in my mind. A field trip is when you go on a trip for the school day. If this isn't during school time btw, then the point about what to do with the kids whose parents don't want them to go (or can't swim) is moot (for whoever brought that up). 
    For extra-curricular, how come the teachers aren't just better protected with parental permission forms??
    But the other option is to just do stuff that do these fun things, but not those particular fun things. I mean, extracurricular activities that bring the school community together and allowing students to be social with each other don't have to be dangerous sporting activities. There are a lot of other great options.
    Of course schools should offer more than the ABCs. I would never suggest otherwise. They should also offer a lot more in their curriculum for that matter. Mandatory internet literacy class for one, in every single grade from K - 12.

This conversation reminds me of summer scope though. Back in the 80s, this was a program like a kids day camp that me and my sister went to. We'd go on day trips all over the region under the supervision of what amounted to camp counsellors. We'd go to outdoor pools, on hikes, went boating, visited petting zoos, whatever different thing everyday. It was a lot of fun. One day they thought it would be a fine idea to take all us kids to Wreck Beach. :lol: Amazing beach, but it is quite famous due to the fact that it's an internationally known nude party beach in Vancouver, lol. It's actually at the UBC campus. Naked men walking around selling booze out of coolers or selling joints and shrooms and shit, haha. But also just normal beach stuff... naked. Well anyway, I recall that we all had fun there - we weren't allowed to get nude ourselves, and the partiers totally respected out space; the counsellors made sure we really weren't exposed to anything shady - but when some of the parents found out they were livid. And the program shut down soon after, which sucked and even at that age I thought the mad parents were such fucking prudes who were overreacting. :frowning: Parents can really be jerks sometimes (not talking about the ones who lost their kid, that's different).
    Ontario to allow private retailers to sell cannabis, report says

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cannabis-ontario-private-retailers-ford-1.4763921

Excellent move ...  =)
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Toronto mayor accuses premier of 'meddling' in coming election over plan to cut number of councillorshttp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tory-ford-city-council-statements-1.4763890

And Tory wants a referendum .... I'm all for that if he  is will to hold referendums on Toronto being sanctuary city, taxes etc.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    ‘Reese wasn’t alone’: The firefighters who tried to save Toronto Danforth shooting victim’s life

https://nationalpost.com/news/toronto/reese-wasnt-alone-the-firefighters-who-tried-to-save-toronto-danforth-shooting-victims-life?video_autoplay=true

I know first hand that first responders are simply the best ... kudos to the first responders in Toronto ... wonderful people who are now dealing with emotional trauma.  

By the way THAT SICK FUCKER WAS A TERRORIST .. now does pm fluff have the BALLS to say it...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The only person suffering from mental illness in this scenario is the the idiot parents ... they raise two evil kids and they blame mental illness.  Fuck these assholes.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • After 10 years, I'll simply never be able to get my head around this one. Timothy McLean was decapitated, chopped into chunks, and partially eaten by Vince Li who was having a psychotic episode. God was telling him to execute Tim (did he tell Li to mutilate and eat him as well?).

Interestingly, the police took five hours trying to negotiate Li off the bus as he played with McLean's remains.

As for Li? In February 2017, Li received an absolute discharge and is now living independently in a Manitoba community. The province's Criminal Code Review Board ruled he is no longer required to attend annual reviews or abide by conditions. He later changed his name to Will Lee Baker. Isn't that fantastic?

Li was considered a 'low risk of reoffending. and with only a 7% recidivism rate for people in Li's situation... what could go wrong? I mean, if he does break, it's unlikely he decapitates, mutilates and eats anyone else. And even if he does, the likelihood of it being your child is extremely low... so roll the dice, man.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/10-years-after-greyhound-beheading-that-killed-timothy-mclean-victims-remain/ar-BBLfqvJ?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
    edited July 2018
    Yup, severe psychosis exists, it can be the cause of extreme violence, no fault can be laid on the mentally ill person whose actions were completely beyond his or her control, and there are drugs to control it. The main issue is ensuring that someone with such psychosis keeps taking the drugs.... This isn't that hard to do - the authorities just need to do their jobs properly and design the system to work.
    After 10 years, I'll simply never be able to get my head around this one. Timothy McLean was decapitated, chopped into chunks, and partially eaten by Vince Li who was having a psychotic episode. God was telling him to execute Tim (did he tell Li to mutilate and eat him as well?).

Interestingly, the police took five hours trying to negotiate Li off the bus as he played with McLean's remains.

As for Li? In February 2017, Li received an absolute discharge and is now living independently in a Manitoba community. The province's Criminal Code Review Board ruled he is no longer required to attend annual reviews or abide by conditions. He later changed his name to Will Lee Baker. Isn't that fantastic?

Li was considered a 'low risk of reoffending. and with only a 7% recidivism rate for people in Li's situation... what could go wrong? I mean, if he does break, it's unlikely he decapitates, mutilates and eats anyone else. And even if he does, the likelihood of it being your child is extremely low... so roll the dice, man.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/10-years-after-greyhound-beheading-that-killed-timothy-mclean-victims-remain/ar-BBLfqvJ?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
    This has always been a very controversial issue in Canada and I don't know if there is a simple answer to this.  for me it is a part of a bigger question and that is, what is the prison system supposed to be?  is it about punishment or about rehabilitation?  Li was deemed to be not criminally responsible for his actions and all reports show that under medication he was doing perfectly well. 
    edited July 2018
    And none died, which is a huge improvement. This time last year, before a bunch of measures were brought in, like make shift OD centres, training in the community, etc, this many ODs in one night would have probably resulted in 20 OD deaths. So we're moving in the right direction. The BC Liberals SUCKED when it came to this issue, and the BC NDP are doing a much better job now, and it's showing.
    PJ_Soul said:
    And none died, which is a huge improvement. This time last year, before a bunch of measures were brought in, like make shift OD centres, training in the community, etc, this many ODs in one might would have probably resulted in 20 OD deaths. So we're moving in the right direction. The BC Liberals SUCKED when it came to this issue, and the BC NDP are doing a much better job now, and it's showing.
    I think we are going to see this continue, for me this is a reason for safe injection sites.  the more we push substance users into the shadows the worst this will get. 
    I just hope the new PC government in Ontario doesn't kill the SIS here.

on another point, while I know I may be a minority i am still an advocate for legalization of all drugs.  I believe this could lead to more safer and cleaner drugs in our country