Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    Jason P said:
    it's about time you Canadians pick up some of the racist slack.
    pfft, we've got plenty to not brag about in that department. just ask about aboriginal cultural genocide. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,422
    Hopefully this source is more palatable, and comes from the perspective PJ Soul was asking for earlier.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/opinion-on-multiple-occasions-our-pm-felt-it-was-comical-to-imitate-people-of-colour-thats-astonishing#comments-area

I found this zinger in the comments pretty funny:  "Those clever Liberals. First they announce that they will increase the pension in order to steal the elderly vote, and now he steals the racist vote from the conservatives."
    i have seen just as many, if not more, accounts from brown people who say they literally couldn't care less about this 'scandal'. so if everyone says 'don't listen to the white people, listen to the brown people', are we now only supposed to listen to the outraged brown people? cause it sure seems that way from the brown people who are shutting down all dialogue based on your view, not necessarily your skin colour. 
    I'll admit there might be some confirmation bias in which articles I choose to read, however I'm not trying to shut anyone's perspective down.  I'll go digging, but perhaps those on the other side of the fence on this could provide these articles?
    i don't think you are posting anything that is biased. i'm just saying that of all the comments i've seen, i've actually seen more from brown people saying this is a non-issue. now, to be fair, those folks could also be liberals-to-the-core, i don't know, this is just stuff i've seen on social media. anyone writing a full article or opinion piece in a publication has been overwhelmingly anti-JT in this instance. i'm just referring to random people online that i've seen commenting. 
    I've seen much the same in the television coverage (I'm curious to see how Rosemary Barton handles the panel on The National tonight), but I'm not always convinced these people know the historical aspect of this practice, especially its history on this continent (I'm sounding racist again, I think, but I don't mean it that way.  If anything it's good that it's not commonly known and speaks to some of the progress we've made).

Thank you (and others who have posted), however, for pushing me a bit outside my own bubble.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Hopefully this source is more palatable, and comes from the perspective PJ Soul was asking for earlier.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/opinion-on-multiple-occasions-our-pm-felt-it-was-comical-to-imitate-people-of-colour-thats-astonishing#comments-area

I found this zinger in the comments pretty funny:  "Those clever Liberals. First they announce that they will increase the pension in order to steal the elderly vote, and now he steals the racist vote from the conservatives."
    i have seen just as many, if not more, accounts from brown people who say they literally couldn't care less about this 'scandal'. so if everyone says 'don't listen to the white people, listen to the brown people', are we now only supposed to listen to the outraged brown people? cause it sure seems that way from the brown people who are shutting down all dialogue based on your view, not necessarily your skin colour. 
    I'll admit there might be some confirmation bias in which articles I choose to read, however I'm not trying to shut anyone's perspective down.  I'll go digging, but perhaps those on the other side of the fence on this could provide these articles?
    i don't think you are posting anything that is biased. i'm just saying that of all the comments i've seen, i've actually seen more from brown people saying this is a non-issue. now, to be fair, those folks could also be liberals-to-the-core, i don't know, this is just stuff i've seen on social media. anyone writing a full article or opinion piece in a publication has been overwhelmingly anti-JT in this instance. i'm just referring to random people online that i've seen commenting. 
    I've seen much the same in the television coverage (I'm curious to see how Rosemary Barton handles the panel on The National tonight), but I'm not always convinced these people know the historical aspect of this practice, especially its history on this continent (I'm sounding racist again, I think, but I don't mean it that way.  If anything it's good that it's not commonly known and speaks to some of the progress we've made).

Thank you (and others who have posted), however, for pushing me a bit outside my own bubble.
    i have no idea why you'd think you sounded racist for simply commenting on the perception you have of other peoples' knowledge of the issue. 

i would imagine blackface wasn't as common a practice among racist white people in canada as it was in the US, which would lead to the ignorance of the historical perspective. if anything, this will shine a huge light on the subject for canadians. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Now 4 instances of blackface...1 can be excused but 4...LMFAO.  Trudeau is fraud 
    Sorry, but source please?

Damnit, I'm bordering on spamming the board on this again, I'll work to post better.
    Lorrie Goldstein.  
    I'm sorry to be that guy, but I'm just not finding it, can you share a link or something?  We've got 3 pictures and 1 video, but 2 of the pictures are from the same event, has that maybe caused some confusion?

• Options
    edited September 2019

i have no idea why you'd think you sounded racist for simply commenting on the perception you have of other peoples' knowledge of the issue. 

i would imagine blackface wasn't as common a practice among racist white people in canada as it was in the US, which would lead to the ignorance of the historical perspective. if anything, this will shine a huge light on the subject for canadians. 
    Maclean's has a couple interesting articles on this:

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-history-of-blackface-that-justin-trudeau-is-contending-with/

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/the-fallout-from-justin-trudeaus-brownface-photo/

Edit:  Just finished the second article, didn't notice before posting (hadn't finished reading) that it was written before the second and third instances surfaced, but still a good read.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Now 4 instances of blackface...1 can be excused but 4...LMFAO.  Trudeau is fraud 
    Sorry, but source please?

Damnit, I'm bordering on spamming the board on this again, I'll work to post better.
    Lorrie Goldstein.  
    I'm sorry to be that guy, but I'm just not finding it, can you share a link or something?  We've got 3 pictures and 1 video, but 2 of the pictures are from the same event, has that maybe caused some confusion?
    I saw a tweet of his.  He tweets more than trump.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    3 or 4 does not matter. 1 is poor judgement, 3 or 4 you are a racist or really stupid.  I happen to think he both.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKCx7P_mpo

Jeesh.  This is the real Trudeau.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    If you want to be a prime minister of a working democracy. Don't do blackface. 

Rule number 1.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
  • Options

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Trudeau is not racist. The media makes me giggle a lot.
    18-20 years ago many people were not dialed in as to what was acceptable and what was not acceptable. Times have changed. We have progressed very well. Today if he did it, it wouldn't fly, but back then, things were very different. FACT.
    As a society we just were not as advanced and sensitive to these issues as we are today.
    He apologized and he will still get my vote. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Terrance Williams? You really are scraping the barrel.

Can you please post something from Ezra Levant next?
  • Options
    Terrence Williams is a pandering POS. 

NEXT
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    one thing that I realized last night, is that it seems in our society that these social blunders seem to be worse for a politician than legal ones. I mean, was the SNC Lavellin issue splashed all over news outlets around the world? Not that I saw. But this is. 

Obviously character is a big issue to voters when it comes to our leaders, but shouldn't legal issues, including obstruction of justice, hold a bit more weight?

People fall for the media drama, I think. also more to my point about outrage culture. 

I personally am more concerned with how he conducts himself in office, especially ethically and legally, than something he did 18 years ago that was socially unacceptable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    If this was a conservative all of you would be calling for his/her resignation.

Trudeau is a fraud.  I called it from day 1.

If the liberals knew about his racist past he would not be a liberal leader or PM.  He already admitted he hid that from the party. 

He obtains the job based on deception.  Fuck this lying fraud who is a racist.

The most viewed photo was our disgusting PM in blackface.  Fucking disgusting.  This man is destroying Canada's reputation.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    one thing that I realized last night, is that it seems in our society that these social blunders seem to be worse for a politician than legal ones. I mean, was the SNC Lavellin issue splashed all over news outlets around the world? Not that I saw. But this is. 

Obviously character is a big issue to voters when it comes to our leaders, but shouldn't legal issues, including obstruction of justice, hold a bit more weight?

People fall for the media drama, I think. also more to my point about outrage culture. 

I personally am more concerned with how he conducts himself in office, especially ethically and legally, than something he did 18 years ago that was socially unacceptable. 
    Completely agree with you there, well said.

• Options
  • Options
    Trudeau need to brush up on the Canadian Constitution, lol. First he thought education is a federal sphere (it’s provincial), and now he’s unaware that municipalities exist at the pleasure of the provincial legislatures. Not sure the federal government can give municipalities the authority to ban various firearms (because we all know some cities will enact complete firearms bans, not just handguns as suggested).

• Options
    Trudeau need to brush up on the Canadian Constitution, lol. First he thought education is a federal sphere (it’s provincial), and now he’s unaware that municipalities exist at the pleasure of the provincial legislatures. Not sure the federal government can give municipalities the authority to ban various firearms (because we all know some cities will enact complete firearms bans, not just handguns as suggested).
    I honestly didn't know the assault rifles were legal here. I'm amazed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I honestly didn't know the assault rifles were legal here. I'm amazed. 
    I’m pretty sure he’s stretching the truth. He kept mentioning “military-grade weapons” which for the most part should already be prohibited. Single-shot semiautomatic are restricted I believe. Because of my issues with mental health I’ve assumed I would be denied a gun licence so I’ve never applied despite my support and interest in (reasonable) gun culture, so I’m hoping someone with more knowledge might chime in (with facts not propaganda, lol).

• Options
    Just saw Jagmeet Singh make an interesting suggestion in a clip. Trudeau (damnit, my thumbs keep typing Turdeau all on their own, lol) may have inadvertently helped embolden the actual racists lurking on the fringes. Unfortunately all we can do is wait and see, and speak up against them when opportunity presents.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited September 2019
    Just saw Jagmeet Singh make an interesting suggestion in a clip. Trudeau (damnit, my thumbs keep typing Turdeau all on their own, lol) may have inadvertently helped embolden the actual racists lurking on the fringes. Unfortunately all we can do is wait and see, and speak up against them when opportunity presents.
    I really doubt that. The actual racists lurking on the fringes have already found their emboldening lightning rod in the Maxime Bernier and the People's Party of Canada, along with several MPs in the Conservative Party. They aren't about to find power from someone who they have been openly trashing and declaring their hate for all of a sudden. They will just continue to attack Trudeau. Trudeau is actually still any racist's worst nightmare, politically. Singh is obviously focused on taking full advantage of this scandal for his own political gain, just as all the other party leaders will (besides perhaps Scheer, since he can't really attack Trudeau after what he said about excusing the actual racists and sexists in his own party). I would take anything Singh says about this with a pretty big grain of salt.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I really doubt that. The actual racists lurking on the fringes have already found their emboldening lightning rod in the Maxime Bernier and the People's Party of Canada, along with several MPs in the Conservative Party. They aren't about to find power from someone who they have been openly trashing and declaring their hate for all of a sudden. They will just continue to attack Trudeau. Trudeau is actually still any racist's worst nightmare, politically. Singh is obviously focused on taking full advantage of this scandal for his own political gain, just as all the other party leaders will (besides perhaps Scheer, since he can't really attack Trudeau after what he said about excusing the actual racists and sexists in his own party). I would take anything Singh says about this with a pretty big grain of salt.
    All I can reply to that is to ask if you took Trudeau’s apologies and “explanations” with equally big grains of salt?

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    All I can reply to that is to ask if you took Trudeau’s apologies and “explanations” with equally big grains of salt?
    to me, either JT is a really good actor (which he might be, having been a drama teacher) so I lean towards believing him. Singh I think is a good person, but he'd be an idiot politically speaking not to try to capitalize on it. If the roles had been reversed, I'd be saying the same thing about JT. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, why would I? Obviously he is trying to save his campaign like anyone would do, and is in damage control, but I have demonstrated PROOF that Trudeau is not a racist already. There is no grain of salt to take. I have had years of observation to rely on when I consider Trudeau's apology and how genuine it is, and all of his actions over the past 5 years clearly show that he isn't some racist politician (for all his faults). Singh, on the other hand, has shown me nothing whatsoever (He is my actual MP, fyi. I live in the riding he picked up in order to make himself a legitimate party leader in time for the election. That alone pissed me off. I now have an MP (who I didn't vote for) who had never lived in the area. He rented an expensive townhouse immediately before the by-election and pretended he cared about the riding). I don't hate Singh btw. He's just ineffective and I have seen nothing to shows me he has anything going for him as an MP or a federal leader. I don't get why he was chosen to the lead the NDP in the first place. Hell, I don't even know why they saw fit to get rid of Mulcair. The NDP feds have been up shit creek ever since the great Jack Layton died. It sucks, because I'm actually an NDPer, at heart. Luckily the BCNDP is awesome. I suspect that John Horgan may be the next federal NDP leader. I'd definitely vote for him.... although I'd prefer if he didn't go that way, because I don't want to lose him as a premier.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, why would I? Obviously he is trying to save his campaign like anyone would do, and is in damage control, but I have demonstrated PROOF that Trudeau is not a racist already. There is no grain of salt to take. I have had years of observation to rely on when I consider Trudeau's apology and how genuine it is, and all of his actions over the past 5 years clearly show that he isn't some racist politician. Singh, on the other hand, has shown me nothing whatsoever (He is my actual MP, fyi. I live in the riding he picked up in order to make himself a legitimate party leader in time for the election. That alone pissed me off. I now have an MP (who I didn't vote for) who had never lived in the area. He rented an expensive townhouse immediately before the by-election and pretended he cared about the riding). I don't hate Singh btw. He's just ineffective and I have seen nothing to shows me he has anything going for him as an MP or a federal leader. I don't get why he was chosen to the lead the NDP in the first place. Hell, I don't even know why they saw fit to get rid of Mulcair. The NDP feds have been up shit creek ever since the great Jack Layton died. It sucks, because I'm actually an NDPer, at heart. Luckily the BCNDP is awesome. I suspect that John Horgan may be the next federal NDP leader. I'd definitely vote for him.... although I'd prefer if he didn't go that way, because I don't want to lose him as a premier.
    You’ve got your judgments, I got mine, I guess, lol.

I understand your take on Singh, not a fan of parachuting candidates into a riding myself.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, why would I? Obviously he is trying to save his campaign like anyone would do, and is in damage control, but I have demonstrated PROOF that Trudeau is not a racist already. There is no grain of salt to take. I have had years of observation to rely on when I consider Trudeau's apology and how genuine it is, and all of his actions over the past 5 years clearly show that he isn't some racist politician. Singh, on the other hand, has shown me nothing whatsoever (He is my actual MP, fyi. I live in the riding he picked up in order to make himself a legitimate party leader in time for the election. That alone pissed me off. I now have an MP (who I didn't vote for) who had never lived in the area. He rented an expensive townhouse immediately before the by-election and pretended he cared about the riding). I don't hate Singh btw. He's just ineffective and I have seen nothing to shows me he has anything going for him as an MP or a federal leader. I don't get why he was chosen to the lead the NDP in the first place. Hell, I don't even know why they saw fit to get rid of Mulcair. The NDP feds have been up shit creek ever since the great Jack Layton died. It sucks, because I'm actually an NDPer, at heart. Luckily the BCNDP is awesome. I suspect that John Horgan may be the next federal NDP leader. I'd definitely vote for him.... although I'd prefer if he didn't go that way, because I don't want to lose him as a premier.
    You’ve got your judgments, I got mine, I guess, lol.

I understand your take on Singh, not a fan of parachuting candidates into a riding myself.
    Yeah, it pisses me off. I should mentioned that the Liberals really helped him with it. They made sure to run someone who couldn't beat him. They knew as well as anyone that Singh isn't going to do the NDP any favours in this election. But anyway, it's a specific grain of salt I was suggesting taking with Singh. Him saying that this little scandal is specifically emboldening racists doesn't even really make sense to me, considering the huge media backlash against it and racists' extreme hate of Trudeau. Therefore, him saying that is made up bullshit. IMO. And I don't appreciate anyone making up bullshit in this context.... that he himself has experienced racism makes it even bullshittier to me. But yeah, of course, that's just my perspective. I don't hate Singh or anything close. He seems like a decent person and I want the NDP party to do better, so I don't think I'm very biased on this. I don't think he's a good choice as their leader, but it's not like he's despicable or anything, and I'm sure he's a better overall human being than Trudeau is.