Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Love how liberals bitch and moan when conservatives back there own, when they shouldn't...but it's OK that liberals back their own when they shouldn't.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    liberals back their own where appropriate. I criticize JT where appropriate. that's the difference with most conservatives. they have a horrible track record of forgiving everything their own members do. Liberals hold themselves to a higher standard, much to their political detriment. 
    see: Al Fanken
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,427
    I'll suggest that those who think this is no big deal go and watch Jagmeet Singh's second statement (made after his town hall).  It's pretty powerful, and if anyone's got the best perspective of the leaders, it's him.  Most relevant to me, he spoke directly to the communities and people who will be most hurt by this.  Trudeau and Scheer both spoke more generally to Canadians in general, as if there was an election campaign ongoing.

To the point about the costume, back then (and even now) dressing to a theme for a party is fine, yes, though we do sometimes see people called out for going too far with their costumes.  This isn't eyeliner and lipstick we're talking about here, it's full face (and hand) paint.  At no point of its application did he not think he was going too far...even in the ancient times of 2001?

One last thing, please stop blowing off the concerns of others as being just partisan or part of the outrage culture.  It's just possible some of us are offended as simple human beings (I thought the movie White Chicks was in poor taste for the same reason as this, for example).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840
    I'll suggest that those who think this is no big deal go and watch Jagmeet Singh's second statement (made after his town hall).  It's pretty powerful, and if anyone's got the best perspective of the leaders, it's him.  Most relevant to me, he spoke directly to the communities and people who will be most hurt by this.  Trudeau and Scheer both spoke more generally to Canadians in general, as if there was an election campaign ongoing.

To the point about the costume, back then (and even now) dressing to a theme for a party is fine, yes, though we do sometimes see people called out for going too far with their costumes.  This isn't eyeliner and lipstick we're talking about here, it's full face (and hand) paint.  At no point of its application did he not think he was going too far...even in the ancient times of 2001?

One last thing, please stop blowing off the concerns of others as being just partisan or part of the outrage culture.  It's just possible some of us are offended as simple human beings (I thought the movie White Chicks was in poor taste for the same reason as this, for example).
    I agree with you on Singh’s handling of this. He has struggled to get much airtime and hasn’t really found his footing, but he is shining here. I hope it helps raise his profile. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

not blowing anyone off. But some things just are so obviously partisan it just can't be ignored. context matters. all signs point to him not being a racist or having any malice intent whatsoever. anyone who thinks he's racist is blatantly ignoring his record. again: partisan. 

Jagmeet Singh carries himself incredibly well. Speaks eloquently. I saw his statement online, but haven't watched any video of it. I will do so. I might vote for him if he wasn't in the NDP. I just can't vote for that party anymore, not what Selinger and the party did in my province for so many years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Singh won me over with those comments.  Very powerful.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

not blowing anyone off. But some things just are so obviously partisan it just can't be ignored. context matters. all signs point to him not being a racist or having any malice intent whatsoever. anyone who thinks he's racist is blatantly ignoring his record. again: partisan. 

Jagmeet Singh carries himself incredibly well. Speaks eloquently. I saw his statement online, but haven't watched any video of it. I will do so. I might vote for him if he wasn't in the NDP. I just can't vote for that party anymore, not what Selinger and the party did in my province for so many years. 
    Why judge the federal NDP by a provincial party? In my experience, they often have little in common. Our B.C. Liberals are definitely Conservatives.
  • Options

I love it, as partisan as it may be, lol!

• Options
    I'd like to share a story from my childhood that may help explain my views on this, if you'll bear with me.

When I was 6 or 7 (early 80s) I attended a planning meeting with my father about a mall being proposed that would be Chinese-centric.  At some point one of the adults asked me what I thought, and I made some VERY off-colour remarks (I would later see this same scene played out with Bart on The Simpsons, lol).  When we got home my dad stood me on the front porch and went up one side and down the other scolding (it was more forceful than that) me about how wrong the things I said were.  Interestingly, when I talked about this incident with my parents last night, my dad couldn't recall this, lol.  But it stuck with me and informed my growth as a person.

• Options

Why judge the federal NDP by a provincial party? In my experience, they often have little in common. Our B.C. Liberals are definitely Conservatives.
    In my experience in Manitoba, they align pretty closely. it's partly my provincial experience but also since Jack died. I couldn't stand Mulcair. I like Jagmeet, but I honestly need to read up more on his/their platforms. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

is that grey face? all gargoyles should be outraged! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

is that grey face? all gargoyles should be outraged! 
    LOL!

• Options
    I'd like to share a story from my childhood that may help explain my views on this, if you'll bear with me.

When I was 6 or 7 (early 80s) I attended a planning meeting with my father about a mall being proposed that would be Chinese-centric.  At some point one of the adults asked me what I thought, and I made some VERY off-colour remarks (I would later see this same scene played out with Bart on The Simpsons, lol).  When we got home my dad stood me on the front porch and went up one side and down the other scolding (it was more forceful than that) me about how wrong the things I said were.  Interestingly, when I talked about this incident with my parents last night, my dad couldn't recall this, lol.  But it stuck with me and informed my growth as a person.
    Well, sure, I would hope that any parent would do that. But that’s quite a different situation than what we’re talking about here. 
  • Options

I think we've all experienced these teachings over our lives, but what does this have to do with brownface?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was hoping this might show that I'm less partisan and more human on this.

• Options
    I wasn't really accusing you specifically of being partisan on it. I can absolutely see how someone would be offended where others may not. I just tend to believe a lot of what people get upset about these days has more to do with partisan politics than actual offence. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What's funny is that there is a lot of politicians in Canada wondering..."did I".
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I wasn't really accusing you specifically of being partisan on it. I can absolutely see how someone would be offended where others may not. I just tend to believe a lot of what people get upset about these days has more to do with partisan politics than actual offence. 
    Thanks, I appreciate the clarification, I may have partly fallen prey to the inadequacies of discussing things online (and not wanting to write a doctoral thesis to make my point, lol).

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    edited September 2019
    So what is the real controversy here, out of curiosity? Do people now think Trudeau is actually a racist? Are they just really upset that he did some offensive things 18+ years ago and want him to somehow suffer or pay for it now? Do they think the behaviour will be repeated now? Do they think the fact he had no qualms about doing this back then means that he would do similar things now? I'm genuinely not too sure what to think myself about this.... It really depends on how minorities feel about it, and why. I don't think I care very much about what white people think outside of how it will affect their vote (anything I say about it is equally meaningless, lol). I don't think there is a single non-white person who posts on the AMT though. If I'm wrong, and someone who isn't white is posting here, I'd love to hear from you. But only if it's a non-partisan perspective. I agree with HFD (who I think has me on ignore) that the people who are the most upset are white partisans who want this to win Scheer the election. But again, I need to hear from non-white non-partisans to really understand the impact of this.

I would like to mention, though, when it comes to this discussion about partisanship, I strongly feel that I wouldn't be thinking any differently if this were Scheer, under all the exact same circumstances... Where I would have a real knee jerk reaction would be if a known racist was found to have been doing this because they're racist. I don't believe that is the case here.... Do others think so? Is Trudeau racist? Was he racist then, and did these things with a derogatory mindset? Was his intention to mock minorities? Or did he just do this out of sheer ignorance at the time with no intention of mocking? I don't know. Context is everything. But I feel a bit in the dark. Dark face is such a foreign thing to me I don't know what to make of it unless it is a racist doing it in a racist context.

Will this sink Trudeau in the election? ..... I actually doubt this will have a lasting effect on the poll numbers, but we'll see, obviously. My #1 concern is and will continue to be that Scheer doesn't win. That this could help him win is what I'm most worried about, not Trudeau's dumbassery back in the day.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    So what is the real controversy here, out of curiosity? Do people now think Trudeau is actually a racist? Are they just really upset that he did some offensive things 18+ years ago and want him to somehow suffer or pay for it now? Do they think the behaviour will be repeated now? Do they think the fact he had no qualms about doing this back then means that he would do similar things now? I'm genuinely not too sure what to think myself about this.... It really depends on how minorities feel about it, and why. I don't think I care very much about what white people think outside of how it will affect their vote (anything I say about it is equally meaningless, lol). I don't think there is a single non-white person who posts on the AMT though. If I'm wrong, and someone who isn't white is posting here, I'd love to hear from you. But only if it's a non-partisan perspective. I agree with HFD (who I think has me on ignore) that the people who are the most upset are white partisans who want this to win Scheer the election. But again, I need to hear from non-white non-partisans to really understand the impact of this.

I would like to mention, though, when it comes to this discussion about partisanship, I strongly feel that I wouldn't be thinking any differently if this were Scheer, under all the exact same circumstances... Where I would have a real knee jerk reaction would be if a known racist was found to have been doing this because they're racist. I don't believe that is the case here.... Do others think so? Is Trudeau racist? Was he racist then, and did these things with a derogatory mindset? Was his intention to mock minorities? Or did he just do this out of sheer ignorance at the time with no intention of mocking? I don't know. Context is everything. But I feel a bit in the dark. Dark face is such a foreign thing to me I don't know what to make of it unless it is a racist doing it in a racist context.

Will this sink Trudeau in the election? ..... I actually doubt this will have a lasting effect on the poll numbers, but we'll see, obviously. My #1 concern is and will continue to be that Scheer doesn't win. That this could help him win is what I'm most worried about, not Trudeau's dumbassery back in the day.

Speaking to the bolded question, doesn't this somewhat reframe his behaviour during the infamous trip to India?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Speaking to the bolded question, doesn't this somewhat reframe his behaviour during the infamous trip to India?
    I don't think so. I think he and his family did that out of respect and enthusiasm. It was met with some hilarity in India because they went so overboard with it. It wasn't offensive to Indians as far as I ever heard.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think so. I think he and his family did that out of respect and enthusiasm. It was met with some hilarity in India because they went so overboard with it. It wasn't offensive to Indians as far as I ever heard.
    I agree with the enthusiasm aspect, especially since he admitted that tendency in his scrum last night.  Respect is much more subjective, however.  As a non-Indian, it came off as goofy at best to me.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree with the enthusiasm aspect, especially since he admitted that tendency in his scrum last night.  Respect is much more subjective, however.  As a non-Indian, it came off as goofy at best to me.
    Well, it came off as goofy to Indians too I believe. But so what? I don't have a problem with goofiness as a side effect of enthusiasm and intended respect. For me it's the intention that matters most (if Trudeau was consistently a clown internationally, that would be different. But he isn't. India trip aside, he actually has a really really positive reputation internationally). That is why I said that my main consideration with the face painting is whether or not there was racist/derogatory intent behind it. I think that makes a big HUGE difference, at least when looking at it being done 18 years ago at the latest. In this case... I don't believe that Trudeau is racist at all. Was he in the past??? I have no idea. I doubt it, but it's possible. What seems more likely is that he loved to get into costume. He was a drama teacher, and he hammed it up back then quite a bit. I think he was just a guy into acting who loved to dress up in costume whenever he saw the opportunity to do so, and unfortunately wasn't clued in to the fact that it's not appropriate to include skin colour in costumes. I think that all evidence points to that theory.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Usually it's 3 strikes you're out.  I don't necessarily agree with Kinsella's characterization of the newest video (only because it's so brief), but he makes the good point that in today's environment (here come the "it was in the past" counterarguments, lol) we should all be offended by this behaviour, whether one's black, brown, yellow, white or purple with pink polkadots.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-trudeau-traded-in-the-foulest-racist-stereotypes

Quick edit: Kinsella is a longtime Liberal.

Further edit:  Once is an accident, twice is a mistake, three times is a pattern.  In my opinion, again.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    Usually it's 3 strikes you're out.  I don't necessarily agree with Kinsella's characterization of the newest video (only because it's so brief), but he makes the good point that in today's environment (here come the "it was in the past" counterarguments, lol) we should all be offended by this behaviour, whether one's black, brown, yellow, white or purple with pink polkadots.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-trudeau-traded-in-the-foulest-racist-stereotypes

"he’s the scum of the Earth". jesus. drama much?

I'll wait to hear his explanation about this one. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I mean.... it is offensive. Now. Yes indeed, here come the "it was in the past" counterarguments. Is that argument not a valid one? I think it is just as valid as what the intent/motivation was behind the costumes. But yeah, anyone saying it's literally not offensive to go in brown or black face is being stupid at best. Of course it is. But I didn't think whether or not doing that is offensive to people now was the question.
  • Options

"he’s the scum of the Earth". jesus. drama much?

I'll wait to hear his explanation about this one. 
    He's due to speak in about 5 minutes, and believe me, I'm all ears for a good explanation.  He's in your city right now, no less.

• Options
    One of my biggest questions on this (not for Trudeau) is where were these pictures and videos 4 years ago?  It's also disappointing this came to our attention from south of the border, but as the pundits on CP24 are saying right now, it often comes down to personal relationships with someone in the news organization.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Further edit:  Once is an accident, twice is a mistake, three times is a pattern.  In my opinion, again.
    That article is absolute trash. No surprise coming from the Sun.

He says in it that Trudeau was acting like an ape in blackface, as a matter of fact. I don't see it, and it's at least highly debatable.