Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    dignin said:
    Usually it's 3 strikes you're out.  I don't necessarily agree with Kinsella's characterization of the newest video (only because it's so brief), but he makes the good point that in today's environment (here come the "it was in the past" counterarguments, lol) we should all be offended by this behaviour, whether one's black, brown, yellow, white or purple with pink polkadots.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-trudeau-traded-in-the-foulest-racist-stereotypes

Quick edit: Kinsella is a longtime Liberal.

Further edit:  Once is an accident, twice is a mistake, three times is a pattern.  In my opinion, again.
    That article is absolute trash. No surprise coming from the Sun.

He says in it that Trudeau was acting like an ape in blackface, as a matter of fact. I don't see it, and it's at least highly debatable.
    yeah, as I was reading I had a look at the link and realized "yup, the fucking sun". the fox news of canadian print. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    dignin said:
    Usually it's 3 strikes you're out.  I don't necessarily agree with Kinsella's characterization of the newest video (only because it's so brief), but he makes the good point that in today's environment (here come the "it was in the past" counterarguments, lol) we should all be offended by this behaviour, whether one's black, brown, yellow, white or purple with pink polkadots.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-trudeau-traded-in-the-foulest-racist-stereotypes

Quick edit: Kinsella is a longtime Liberal.

Further edit:  Once is an accident, twice is a mistake, three times is a pattern.  In my opinion, again.
    That article is absolute trash. No surprise coming from the Sun.

He says in it that Trudeau was acting like an ape in blackface, as a matter of fact. I don't see it, and it's at least highly debatable.
    He could just as easily be cheering the winners of a canoe race from the presented video, to be fair.  But he blackened his knees?
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    live feed to news conference: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-trudeau-brownface-election-2019-1.5289421

didn't even know he was going to be so close to my work today. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    he's a half hour late. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Here he comes.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited September 2019
    dignin said:
    Please put me ignore.  Your anger is caused by you and your silly comment.  The only people voting for Trudeau are the families on child benefit welfare system...
    I especially love the con job of helping first time home buyers buy homes by taking equity in their homes.  Only a fool would ever give up equity in a home to the government...

Your ignorance is on full display here. Both in your shallow understanding behind how people vote and first time home buyers.

Not to mention the Sept 11th thread, where you make Canadians look like jerks. There is a time and a place.
    I find it quite ironic that everyone says canadians are friendly. I have three people on ignore: all 3 are fellow canadians. 
    I think I'm one of those 3, and I'm super friendly, so I'm not sure that who HFD ignores is the best way to measure Canadian friendliness, ha! ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    not that I ever look to rockstars to form opinions, but given that he championed JT from the start, even talked about him at the Hip's last ever show, I think it would have been interesting to hear what Gord Downie's opinion would have been about this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I believe he regrets it. I believe he isn't racist. And I believe he's the only choice. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I believe he regrets it. I believe he isn't racist. And I believe he's the only choice. 
    I'm guessing that will be the general consensus, but I had a couple different takeaways:

Our Prime Minister has a very selective memory.

There may be more of these incidents floating around.

He was in part inadvertently racist because we're all subconsciously racist.

He actually owned his privileged upbringing.

I think I've probably said more than enough on this, so I'll give you guys a break from my ramblings/rants.  Time to go add something to the "What am I listening to now" thread, lol.

• Options
    I'm guessing that will be the general consensus, but I had a couple different takeaways:

I think I've probably said more than enough on this, so I'll give you guys a break from my ramblings/rants.  Time to go add something to the "What am I listening to now" thread, lol.
    I was kind of surprised how often he mentioned his privileged upbringing. I guess it's a good way to "excuse" it in a way, but it is risky in that you lose connection with voters that think you can't identify with them. 

Which is worse for him politically do you think? blackface or SNC lavellin?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    #trudeauisaracist
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The only people still voting for Trudeau are the blind and those middle class families leeching in the form child tax welfare bulkshit
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Trudeau obviously isn't a racist. All the non-white people at my office agree that that is beyond obvious, and they all think it is idiotic to call him one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Trudeau is smug prick who is a racist and its now out in the open.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    #trudeauisaracist
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Mmhm. That is very Facebooky troll material. 
  • Options

I was kind of surprised how often he mentioned his privileged upbringing. I guess it's a good way to "excuse" it in a way, but it is risky in that you lose connection with voters that think you can't identify with them. 

I'm honestly not sure which will end up hurting him more.  Personally SNC is the bigger deal to me, as it goes to how Trudeau actually governs, as well as some of the fundamentals of our rule of law.  The blackface scandal goes to who he is/was as a person which is still relevant, and reframes some of his attacks on the Conservatives (pot and kettle scenario).  SNC has had some legs to the story, it remains to be seen how long this one will persist.  I'm partly hesitant to guess what the general public will do since I'm a bit of an odd man out (especially here, lol).

Going back to the current controversy, I'll clarify that I don't actually think Trudeau is racist, however he has undeniably committed racist acts (not lynching to be sure, but this is really bad nonetheless, in my opinion).  If ignorance isn't a defence under our laws, then he needs to make things right beyond just pretty words.  I'd give him more leeway on this if he'd stood up and said he was going to counselling/sensitivity training over this or some other concrete act, but all he's done is apologize and unfortunately he's made so many apologies they all ring hollow now to me.  I honestly can't tell when this guy's actually being sincere anymore.  And let's not lose sight of the fact he's ended people's careers over far less (simple accusations with no investigation).

• Options
    Now turdo cannot remember how often he wore blackface...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I'm honestly not sure which will end up hurting him more.  Personally SNC is the bigger deal to me, as it goes to how Trudeau actually governs, as well as some of the fundamentals of our rule of law.  The blackface scandal goes to who he is/was as a person which is still relevant, and reframes some of his attacks on the Conservatives (pot and kettle scenario).  SNC has had some legs to the story, it remains to be seen how long this one will persist.  I'm partly hesitant to guess what the general public will do since I'm a bit of an odd man out (especially here, lol).

Going back to the current controversy, I'll clarify that I don't actually think Trudeau is racist, however he has undeniably committed racist acts (not lynching to be sure, but this is really bad nonetheless, in my opinion).  If ignorance isn't a defence under our laws, then he needs to make things right beyond just pretty words.  I'd give him more leeway on this if he'd stood up and said he was going to counselling/sensitivity training over this or some other concrete act, but all he's done is apologize and unfortunately he's made so many apologies they all ring hollow now to me.  I honestly can't tell when this guy's actually being sincere anymore.  And let's not lose sight of the fact he's ended people's careers over far less (simple accusations with no investigation).
    i agree with your first paragraph.

i think his actions on diversity and immigration policies alone show he's grown past this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Hopefully this source is more palatable, and comes from the perspective PJ Soul was asking for earlier.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/opinion-on-multiple-occasions-our-pm-felt-it-was-comical-to-imitate-people-of-colour-thats-astonishing#comments-area

I found this zinger in the comments pretty funny:  "Those clever Liberals. First they announce that they will increase the pension in order to steal the elderly vote, and now he steals the racist vote from the conservatives."

• Options
    Now 4 instances of blackface...1 can be excused but 4...LMFAO.  Trudeau is fraud 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Hopefully this source is more palatable, and comes from the perspective PJ Soul was asking for earlier.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/opinion-on-multiple-occasions-our-pm-felt-it-was-comical-to-imitate-people-of-colour-thats-astonishing#comments-area

I found this zinger in the comments pretty funny:  "Those clever Liberals. First they announce that they will increase the pension in order to steal the elderly vote, and now he steals the racist vote from the conservatives."
    i have seen just as many, if not more, accounts from brown people who say they literally couldn't care less about this 'scandal'. so if everyone says 'don't listen to the white people, listen to the brown people', are we now only supposed to listen to the outraged brown people? cause it sure seems that way from the brown people who are shutting down all dialogue based on your view, not necessarily your skin colour. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

i have seen just as many, if not more, accounts from brown people who say they literally couldn't care less about this 'scandal'. so if everyone says 'don't listen to the white people, listen to the brown people', are we now only supposed to listen to the outraged brown people? cause it sure seems that way from the brown people who are shutting down all dialogue based on your view, not necessarily your skin colour. 
    I'll admit there might be some confirmation bias in which articles I choose to read, however I'm not trying to shut anyone's perspective down.  I'll go digging, but perhaps those on the other side of the fence on this could provide these articles?

• Options
    Lmfao...the liberal apologist are out in full force.  Plenty of offended people out there.

Looks good on the Asshole who has spent the last 4 years accusing others of being racist.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I think there's a column favourable to Trudeau on The Toronto Star (surprise, surprise, lol), but they've put up a pay wall so f'em.

This was the best I found, cut and pasted from the Ottawa Citizen's letters page:

Turmoil over Trudeau is ridiculous

Frankly, I don’t know what all the fuss is about. It appears that as a person of brown colour, I am expected by media and some hypocritical politicians to feel offended by the picture of Justin Trudeau dressed up as Aladdin, a person of brown colour, at an Arabian Nights theme party.  By the same token, Japanese people, and people of African origin should feel offended to watch the characters of Mikado and Othello being played by white actors. This is beyond ridiculous.

The fact that Trudeau, who was a drama teacher at the time, has unreservedly apologized for this indiscretion almost two decades ago speaks volumes for his character. In my opinion, we are carrying political correctness too far. If we are not careful in a multicultural society like Canada’s, we face a danger of not even talking to one another for fear of offending someone. What kind of society would it be, I wonder? I am certain of one thing: it won’t be colourful!

Ravi Gupta, Kanata

• Options
    I feel creepy, going through articles looking for non-European names as authors.  Even a bit racist.

• Options
    Now 4 instances of blackface...1 can be excused but 4...LMFAO.  Trudeau is fraud 
    Sorry, but source please?

Damnit, I'm bordering on spamming the board on this again, I'll work to post better.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    it's about time you Canadians pick up some of the racist slack.
  • Options
    Sorry, but source please?

Damnit, I'm bordering on spamming the board on this again, I'll work to post better.
    Lorrie Goldstein.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I'll admit there might be some confirmation bias in which articles I choose to read, however I'm not trying to shut anyone's perspective down.  I'll go digging, but perhaps those on the other side of the fence on this could provide these articles?
    i don't think you are posting anything that is biased. i'm just saying that of all the comments i've seen, i've actually seen more from brown people saying this is a non-issue. now, to be fair, those folks could also be liberals-to-the-core, i don't know, this is just stuff i've seen on social media. anyone writing a full article or opinion piece in a publication has been overwhelmingly anti-JT in this instance. i'm just referring to random people online that i've seen commenting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com