Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Seeing your edit, Singh didn’t say it was emboldening, but that it could. Hell, I may have even misheard the clip, but I think the idea stands.

It’s a whole other can of worms when the country’s Prime Minister is seen doing these things, whether it’s in the past or not, intentional or not. In my opinion obviously, and only time will tell.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you want to be a prime minister of a working democracy. Don't do blackface. 

Rule number 1.
    Yup.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    Just saw Jagmeet Singh make an interesting suggestion in a clip. Trudeau (damnit, my thumbs keep typing Turdeau all on their own, lol) may have inadvertently helped embolden the actual racists lurking on the fringes. Unfortunately all we can do is wait and see, and speak up against them when opportunity presents.
    I really doubt that. The actual racists lurking on the fringes have already found their emboldening lightning rod in the Maxime Bernier and the People's Party of Canada, along with several MPs in the Conservative Party. They aren't about to find power from someone who they have been openly trashing and declaring their hate for all of a sudden. They will just continue to attack Trudeau. Trudeau is actually still any racist's worst nightmare, politically. Singh is obviously focused on taking full advantage of this scandal for his own political gain, just as all the other party leaders will (besides perhaps Scheer, since he can't really attack Trudeau after what he said about excusing the actual racists and sexists in his own party). I would take anything Singh says about this with a pretty big grain of salt.
    I must not have seen Bernier in blackface.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    So the Crime Minister has been convicted of ethic violations, accused of obstructing justice in the SNC scandal and pictures and videos have surfaced of the dipshit wearing blackface and the 3rd video he went full on black and appears to be acting like a monkey.  No he’s not a racist.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    An interesting article in Maclean’s that looks at these revelations in a larger context, and what they have, and haven’t, meant to people of colour. 

Justin Trudeau and the Anti-Racism Trap 

https://apple.news/AC5tU-ugRR4md7_Bvtgukhg
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I really think were at the point were each society needs to create some sort of gauntlet that disgraced citizens can run to absolve themselves of past sins.   Maybe an American Gladiator style course with a few tigers and maybe a crocodile to amp up the ratings.

Instead of priests flogging people during the inquisitions we now have an army of faceless minions digging through the past with the ultimate goal of ruining people ... but kind of scary that financial gain is not even close to being a primary motivating factor behind it.  

Anywho, welcome to the fray.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    JT needs to remove this from this playlist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ND7S3F9Ps
    Give Peas A Chance…
    These folks think it very offensive.  I cannot believe we got a PM that is embarrassing.  What a POS fraud.  Vote this fraud out...people are sure brainwashed if they support this turd...

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1784812&playlistId=1.4600415&binId=1.1143900&playlistPageNum=1&fbclid=IwAR1UEW0r1NlLLzGdShsxuqOQBlPrdKKV4lUV92KGk_3y-Wf-GL5YHIEzz0E
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    These folks think it very offensive.  I cannot believe we got a PM that is embarrassing.  What a POS fraud.  Vote this fraud out...people are sure brainwashed if they support this turd...

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1784812&playlistId=1.4600415&binId=1.1143900&playlistPageNum=1&fbclid=IwAR1UEW0r1NlLLzGdShsxuqOQBlPrdKKV4lUV92KGk_3y-Wf-GL5YHIEzz0E
    There’s more than one reason to vote for a candidate, and more than one reason not to. Just because people have different values or consider this particular issue (dredged up from the distant past) more or less important than the almighty and all-knowing Meltdown99, doesn’t make them brainwashed. I think that statement is very arrogant of you, and it’s one of many posts I’ve seen here by many posters trying to reduce mental calculations on voting results to binary.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:

There’s more than one reason to vote for a candidate, and more than one reason not to. Just because people have different values or consider this particular issue (dredged up from the distant past) more or less important than the almighty and all-knowing Meltdown99, doesn’t make them brainwashed. I think that statement is very arrogant of you, and it’s one of many posts I’ve seen here by many posters trying to reduce mental calculations on voting results to binary.
    exactly. instead, let's vote in an actual racist who wants to stop immigration and who wants to relax gun control in canada. or a guy who hasn't a hope in hell of winning. singh is our bernie. don't split the vote and give this election to scheer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    shame on Canada
    Before we return to our regularly scheduled trolling, here is a brief nature interlude - two grizzlies fighting on a B.C. road. 

https://www.vicnews.com/news/video-grizzly-bears-fight-along-northern-b-c-highway-in-rare-footage/
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Before we return to our regularly scheduled trolling, here is a brief nature interlude - two grizzlies fighting on a B.C. road. 

https://www.vicnews.com/news/video-grizzly-bears-fight-along-northern-b-c-highway-in-rare-footage/
    Fuckin' cool.
    dignin said:

Fuckin' cool.
    Isn’t it?

Plus the wolf watching well away in the background. 
    I must of missed the photos of sheer in blackface.  Wanting controlled immigration is not racism, wanting to stop the illegal border crossers is not racism.  But Trudeau has you trained well.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Look where the creeps hand is as well. He has also been accused of groping.  Yup, Canada this your PM.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    i didn't know this was something racist until all of these politicians started getting skewered for it. i probably didn't know because i don't recall ever seeing a white person in black or brown makeup before. but seriously, it was a stupid thing to do. but for people to be calling trudeau racist are the real morons here. 

full disclosure: if it had been sheer caught with this, yes, my opinion MIGHT be different, only because i personally don't know any racist liberals. it is generally easier for me to believe malicious intent coming from the right when it comes to racism or bigotry. 
    by far the quote of the year..."i personally don't know any racist liberals"
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I must of missed the photos of sheer in blackface.  Wanting controlled immigration is not racism, wanting to stop the illegal border crossers is not racism.  But Trudeau has you trained well.
    Well, there you have it. Those are the only two issues in Canada so you’re right, the rest of us must be hypnotized by Trudeau’s eyes. 

It’s you who’s proposing becoming single-issue voters by repeating racism charges daily, yet it’s our voting logic which is flawed? You have a skewed and improper way of looking at how and why voters vote. I explained that to you, and you ignored me and continued bitching. That’s your right but it makes me laugh if you think anyone here will be persuaded by propaganda/troll-esque rants.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    Well, there you have it. Those are the only two issues in Canada so you’re right, the rest of us must be hypnotized by Trudeau’s eyes. 

It’s you who’s proposing becoming single-issue voters by repeating racism charges daily, yet it’s our voting logic which is flawed? You have a skewed and improper way of looking at how and why voters vote. I explained that to you, and you ignored me and continued bitching. That’s your right but it makes me laugh if you think anyone here will be persuaded by propaganda/troll-esque rants.
    His eyes? It's the hair for me.
    i didn't know this was something racist until all of these politicians started getting skewered for it. i probably didn't know because i don't recall ever seeing a white person in black or brown makeup before. but seriously, it was a stupid thing to do. but for people to be calling trudeau racist are the real morons here. 

full disclosure: if it had been sheer caught with this, yes, my opinion MIGHT be different, only because i personally don't know any racist liberals. it is generally easier for me to believe malicious intent coming from the right when it comes to racism or bigotry. 
    by far the quote of the year..."i personally don't know any racist liberals"
    i don't. i have plenty of friends/family that have racist leanings/undertones. not one of them is liberal. did i say there are no racist liberals? nope. i said i don't know any personally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Holy crap, he’s at 91% approval?!? (Kidding!)

I did catch some of his announcement this morning (ripped straight out of the NDP platform, lol), and it’s sad to see he’s in full campaign mode...against Doug Ford. If Trudeau does stay in power, what kind of relationship can he expect with the Ontario government after this rhetoric (as one reporter pointed out)? And he still needs to brush up on his Canadian Constitution.

One thing I’m honestly curious about, are people here voting in favour of something, or just voting against someone else? Myself, my vote stays with one party (for lack of a decent alternative on the right), or I abstain (I wish they tallied spoiled ballots as a measure of general dissatisfaction). I refuse to vote on the basis of AB(whoever).

I generally like Trudeau's policies and track record so far (barring his gaffes). 
    Scheer, to me, is the most dangerous PC we've seen in some time. 
    Singh seems like a good guy, but I'm not going to vote for someone who can't win. Usually this doesn't factor into it for me, but I really really really can't stand Scheer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I generally like Trudeau's policies and track record so far (barring his gaffes). 
    Singh seems like a good guy, but I'm not going to vote for someone who can't win. Usually this doesn't factor into it for me, but I really really really can't stand Scheer. 
    I’m a bit puzzled by statements like you’ve (and others here) made about Scheer. I’m (further) curious as to how and why people have arrived at this stance, preferably with facts and not the Liberal spin machine.

These statements are just as inflammatory as some of the things that have been said about Trudeau (admittedly some by myself, though I try to base things on the facts not spin).

I’m a bit puzzled by statements like you’ve (and others here) made about Scheer. I’m (further) curious as to how and why people have arrived at this stance, preferably with facts and not the Liberal spin machine.

These statements are just as inflammatory as some of the things that have been said about Trudeau (admittedly some by myself, though I try to base things on the facts not spin).
    he's anti-LGBTQ. 
    he wants to roll back gun control. (this one concerns me the most)
    he's anti-immigration. 

this isn't spin. this is from his own party and his mouth. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I will be voting for a progressive candidate, not sure which one yet (unfortunately my vote won't matter in my always go conservative riding). 

If voting strategic in my riding was an option, I most definitely would vote ABC.

Scheer and the conservatives don't represent my values.
    Maybe I’ll take a moment to explain my logic in voting Conservative (focusing on the federal level.  Sorry if I’ve already done so upthread, lol.

For me, there’s 3 primary issues that in my opinion the Conservatives have a better track record:  law and order, the military and the economy.

I realize some of my frustration on the first goes to judges and their rulings, but it was Harper’s government that tried to enact mandatory minimum sentences for crimes involving guns.

On the second, this is a bit of a vote against, but its the Liberals that have (twice that I’ve observed) cancelled procurements for our military to reopen the process, with financial penalties attached. To be fair, I’m glad Chretien took us to Afghanistan but kept us out of Iraq 2.

When it comes to the economy, I prefer a government whose goal is to balance the books instead of running perpetual deficits (thus giving us an ever-increasing debt).

Last, and this is entirely anecdotal, it seems to me that Liberals will pretty much say anything to get elected, but good luck on them following through. One may not like what the Conservatives have proposed, but they (seem to) stay closer to their platform once in power.

All that said, on social issues I do fall in line pretty well with the Liberals and NDP, but I see those as gravy after the first three issues I mentioned have been dealt with responsibly (a subjective thing, I know, lol).

Finally, I firmly believe that there are exceptions to every rule, and no politician is as pure as the driven snow.

I hope all that makes sense (posting from a doctor’s waiting room isn’t the most conducive), thanks for reading.