North Korea

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Just close your eyes for a moment, just for a moment, and imagine Hillary or Obama doing any of this. Announcing a willingness to meet, scheduling a meeting, issuing a commerative coin, canceling the meeting, putting it back on, going to Singapore without any prep or specifics, meeting one on one without any aides present and showing a propaganda piece on an iPad. Imagine that for just a minute. Heads would explode and Washington would be in an uproar. Then to hold a press conference and openly admit that if they fail, they'd jsut make up an excuse, while shrugging their shoulders in an Alfred P. Newman kind of way. Now, imagine that.

"The future is in Singapore and not Quebec."
    When are we going to stop with the "just imagine if this was obama....or hillary" stuff?  I'm guessing never. ;)
    Have you watched the Faux news comparison of coverage of Team Trump Treason and Obama that someone posted? The right's hypocrasy knows no bounds. And some are suckers for it. Sometimes it needs to be pointedly pointed out. So maybe when Team Trump Treason stops doing shit that the repubes allow to go by without comment that they would have had a stroke over if done by Hillary or Obama, I'll stop pointing it out. So yea, never.
    It's just such low hanging fruit and obvious.  Kinda like the player that if he is on your team you love him and if he plays for another team you hate him. Happens all the time
    Sorry, but government policy and governance are not sports. If the Patriots lose the super bowl because they traded Gronk to the victors, it doesn’t impact my life one iota. Team Trump Treason doing Russia’s and China’s bidding while being so obviously clueless while also getting a pass from the repubes in Congress, has the potential to get me killed.
    Cause clearly I was saying that politics are sports in their effect....c'mon.  Put your PTape away, it's distracting you from reading.

What I am saying is we've seen this all the time in sports and now Americans are treating politics like sports.  They pick a team and then only support the team, instead of the country.  It's awful.  And to state..."If the other team's person did this...." No shit. It's be like that for a while and as I said, it's awful.  Only principle left is power..... 
    You seem to have taken offense at my pointing out the glaring hypocracy of the right. Thats what's bad, that you seem to normalize it. Its never been this bad. Hell, i"ve voted for repubes that I agree with. There used to be bipartisanship. Now? On every issue the repupes used to go apeshit over, if they do it under Team Trump Treason, its a shoulder shrug and MAGA. Again, I don't equate politics with sports. One has a direct impact on your day to day quality of life, the other sends you into a depression for a day or two. If that's how you rationalize and excuse Team Trump Treason, so be it but it ain't me. How else to explain what's occured in the past 24 hours? PTape? And illegal foreign campaign finance contributions?
    I don't think I'm normalizing anything.  I'm saying it has been evolving this way and keeps getting worse and it's awful.  Again you are completely missing what I;m trying to say....just an analogy...how politics is moving more towards the way sports are with unwavering support for "your team" and hatred for the "other team".

So - I'm normalizing and rationalizing Trump by pointing this out huh?  Weird.  You are so against this team that anytime someone doesn't go apeshit on them you accuse them of being with them...normalizing...rationalizing....  It's bs.
    Do you not see the glaring hypocracy of the repubes since Team Trump Treason's election? Do you accept Team Trump Treason's 6 lies, on average, per day? Are you okay with that? The repubes sure seem to be as they don't call him out for it, ever. The fact that you took umbrage with my pointing this out, in effect, normalizes Team Trump Treason's behavior. It didn't always used to be this way.

I see your analogy and I don't accept it. In sports, its fine. In politics, its not and it smacks of normalization, "look politics has become like sports, nothing I can do, oh well or too bad." I'll continue to call out the hypocracy of the repubes in accepting the abhorrent behavior of Team Trump Treason and I won't accept it as a sports analogy. I'm sorry that bothers you.
    You still are completely missing my point. I never said it was ok.  But feel free to focus your faux outrage on me some more if it helps you sleep better tonight.
    You mad, bro?
     No frustrated. You aren’t understanding what I’m saying at all. It’s not worth it anymore.
    That’s okay, don’t take it personally as I certainly don’t. Maybe beer would help? Me, you and Mcgruff can solve NK. Given enough beer.
    Depends on the beer :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Just close your eyes for a moment, just for a moment, and imagine Hillary or Obama doing any of this. Announcing a willingness to meet, scheduling a meeting, issuing a commerative coin, canceling the meeting, putting it back on, going to Singapore without any prep or specifics, meeting one on one without any aides present and showing a propaganda piece on an iPad. Imagine that for just a minute. Heads would explode and Washington would be in an uproar. Then to hold a press conference and openly admit that if they fail, they'd jsut make up an excuse, while shrugging their shoulders in an Alfred P. Newman kind of way. Now, imagine that.

When are we going to stop with the "just imagine if this was obama....or hillary" stuff?  I'm guessing never. ;)
    Have you watched the Faux news comparison of coverage of Team Trump Treason and Obama that someone posted? The right's hypocrasy knows no bounds. And some are suckers for it. Sometimes it needs to be pointedly pointed out. So maybe when Team Trump Treason stops doing shit that the repubes allow to go by without comment that they would have had a stroke over if done by Hillary or Obama, I'll stop pointing it out. So yea, never.
    It's just such low hanging fruit and obvious.  Kinda like the player that if he is on your team you love him and if he plays for another team you hate him. Happens all the time
    Sorry, but government policy and governance are not sports. If the Patriots lose the super bowl because they traded Gronk to the victors, it doesn’t impact my life one iota. Team Trump Treason doing Russia’s and China’s bidding while being so obviously clueless while also getting a pass from the repubes in Congress, has the potential to get me killed.
    Cause clearly I was saying that politics are sports in their effect....c'mon.  Put your PTape away, it's distracting you from reading.

What I am saying is we've seen this all the time in sports and now Americans are treating politics like sports.  They pick a team and then only support the team, instead of the country.  It's awful.  And to state..."If the other team's person did this...." No shit. It's be like that for a while and as I said, it's awful.  Only principle left is power..... 
    You seem to have taken offense at my pointing out the glaring hypocracy of the right. Thats what's bad, that you seem to normalize it. Its never been this bad. Hell, i"ve voted for repubes that I agree with. There used to be bipartisanship. Now? On every issue the repupes used to go apeshit over, if they do it under Team Trump Treason, its a shoulder shrug and MAGA. Again, I don't equate politics with sports. One has a direct impact on your day to day quality of life, the other sends you into a depression for a day or two. If that's how you rationalize and excuse Team Trump Treason, so be it but it ain't me. How else to explain what's occured in the past 24 hours? PTape? And illegal foreign campaign finance contributions?
    I don't think I'm normalizing anything.  I'm saying it has been evolving this way and keeps getting worse and it's awful.  Again you are completely missing what I;m trying to say....just an analogy...how politics is moving more towards the way sports are with unwavering support for "your team" and hatred for the "other team".

So - I'm normalizing and rationalizing Trump by pointing this out huh?  Weird.  You are so against this team that anytime someone doesn't go apeshit on them you accuse them of being with them...normalizing...rationalizing....  It's bs.
    Do you not see the glaring hypocracy of the repubes since Team Trump Treason's election? Do you accept Team Trump Treason's 6 lies, on average, per day? Are you okay with that? The repubes sure seem to be as they don't call him out for it, ever. The fact that you took umbrage with my pointing this out, in effect, normalizes Team Trump Treason's behavior. It didn't always used to be this way.

I see your analogy and I don't accept it. In sports, its fine. In politics, its not and it smacks of normalization, "look politics has become like sports, nothing I can do, oh well or too bad." I'll continue to call out the hypocracy of the repubes in accepting the abhorrent behavior of Team Trump Treason and I won't accept it as a sports analogy. I'm sorry that bothers you.
    You still are completely missing my point. I never said it was ok.  But feel free to focus your faux outrage on me some more if it helps you sleep better tonight.
    You mad, bro?
     No frustrated. You aren’t understanding what I’m saying at all. It’s not worth it anymore.
    That’s okay, don’t take it personally as I certainly don’t. Maybe beer would help? Me, you and Mcgruff can solve NK. Given enough beer.
    Beer?  Ah, yes, beer.  Maybe that's how this will all shake out.  As the world becomes smaller and smaller, we will all drink beer together (or whatever rolls your socks) and no one will have any desire to waste time with war.  Think about it: Beer/war.  War/beer.  Beer will win.

Saving the world, One beer at a time.   I see it now.  That converted ambulance I saw yesterday was a sign, a prophecy. 

Let the good times roll.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

cincy said nothing about "oh well or too bad", nor that it bothered him that you won't accept it. he merely stated an opinion on the state of politics in the US currently, which I agree with. 
    It’s hostile in here today.
    : :s
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

You mad, bro?
    Beer?  Ah, yes, beer.  Maybe that's how this will all shake out.  As the world becomes smaller and smaller, we will all drink beer together (or whatever rolls your socks) and no one will have any desire to waste time with war.  Think about it: Beer/war.  War/beer.  Beer will win.

Saving the world, One beer at a time.   I see it now.  That converted ambulance I saw yesterday was a sign, a prophecy. 

Let the good times roll.
    obama was right about yet another thing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i just watched the segment on cuomo with rodman. all i can say is....wow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:

You mad, bro?

Let the good times roll.
    obama was right about yet another thing. 
    Ohhhhhh yeah!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    And just like that, Team Trump Treason declares his meeting a complete success, time to move on to the next crisis. Hey guess what? While you were sleeping there’s no longer an opioid crisis! Problem solved! Suckers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics/trump-north-korea-nuclear-threat/index.html

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    And just like that, Team Trump Treason declares his meeting a complete success, time to move on to the next crisis. Hey guess what? While you were sleeping there’s no longer an opioid crisis! Problem solved! Suckers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics/trump-north-korea-nuclear-threat/index.html

Or kids in captivity without their parents! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

You mad, bro?
    I am an IPA kind of guy and halifax drinks molson XXX.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

You mad, bro?
    Alexxxander Keith’s for me please.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

HECKUVA JOB, DONNIE!

Trump’s Negotiating Style Is Pure Art of the Moron

Even by this blowhard’s YUGE standards, it’s been an exceptionally bad and destructive week of terrifying our allies and legitimizing our enemies.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-negotiating-style-is-pure-art-of-the-moron?ref=author

Donald Trump's big fail on North Korea: He didn't prepare and he got played

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/06/12/donald-trump-singapore-summit-skipping-preparation-big-mistake-column/694748002/
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

You mad, bro?
    I never drank a beer from halifax before; the search is on!!
    have you tried the fundy wipa?  I never had a white ipa before.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Alexander Keith's is delicious stuff!!!

"Fuck a Heineken, grab me a Keiths!"
    my2hands said:

“Somebody want to go and get a six pack, eight pack or whatever? Somebody get the truck, we’ll all go. C’mon!” Or words to that effect.

Brilliantati©
    It was after my road trip to Canada in 2005 I realized we needed to nuke those fuckers... just get all the poutine and Keith's out first!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You mad, bro?
    “Fundy Wipa?” That sounds dirty. But no, have not.

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You mad, bro?
    whites are great. but unforunately for me (and my family), I end up a balloon on slow release. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You mad, bro?
    “Fundy Wipa?” That sounds dirty. But no, have not.

Fundy Wipa is Stormy Daniels' business partner.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dignin said:

HECKUVA JOB, DONNIE!

Trump’s Negotiating Style Is Pure Art of the Moron

Even by this blowhard’s YUGE standards, it’s been an exceptionally bad and destructive week of terrifying our allies and legitimizing our enemies.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-negotiating-style-is-pure-art-of-the-moron?ref=author

Donald Trump's big fail on North Korea: He didn't prepare and he got played

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/06/12/donald-trump-singapore-summit-skipping-preparation-big-mistake-column/694748002/
    But his election was necessary to upend the liberal ruling elites and speak for those with no voice or who have been forgotten in america’s Waste land. Brilliant brilliance in all its brilliancy MAGA.

Brilliantati©
    Now that’s trust for you in the meeting of the century with 81 and a half years to go in the century. Pomp and circumstances, it’s what America does best.

Latex gloves, a fake movie trailer and beef shortrib: Inside the Trump-Kim summit - POLITICO https://apple.news/AYcdHAxsQTcS3z1JOqIZ6YQ

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    my2hands said:

Swill.  But there are great Canadian beers....just not that many. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited June 2018

North Korea's Media Tout Trump Concessions You Won't Find In The Joint Statement

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/13/619464740/north-koreas-media-touts-trump-concessions-you-won-t-find-in-the-joint-statement

And this is why you prepare and have someone there to take notes. Kim (or honest Trump for that matter) could claim anything now. But don't worry, Trump has the best brain, memory and negotiating skills. Sleep well everybody.

Post edited by dignin on
    dignin said:

North Korea's Media Tout Trump Concessions You Won't Find In The Joint Statement

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/13/619464740/north-koreas-media-touts-trump-concessions-you-won-t-find-in-the-joint-statement

And this is why you prepare and have someone there to take notes. Kim (or honest Trump for that matter) could claim anything now. But don't worry, Trump has the best brain, memory and negotiating skills. Sleep well everybody.

https://youtu.be/sSSNG2YtXzs
  • dignin said:

Yah.

Trumpsters are clinging to this event as something productive and positive. Of course... it's way too early to judge this meeting and it's level of productiveness given we need to wait and see what comes of it... but Trumpsters are desperate for something/anything that legitimizes Trump as a leader.

I'll credit Trump for helping stabilize the region once it's stabilized, but not at Trump's words.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dignin said:

Yah.

Trumpsters are clinging to this event as something productive and positive. Of course... it's way too early to judge this meeting and it's level of productiveness given we need to wait and see what comes of it... but Trumpsters are desperate for something/anything that legitimizes Trump as a leader.

I'll credit Trump for helping stabilize the region once it's stabilized, but not at Trump's words.
    Anytime you can sit down two leaders who are at war is a positive step in my opinion.  I don't know what will come out of it but it was nice to see them meet face to face as opposed to on twitter.
    I also thought that canceling war-games in the spring was a great concession because tensions would always increase during that time.  
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Rachel Maddow laid it out pretty well last night when she showed the border that North Korea shares with Russia on the north. Russia also wants the military exercises to end in that region.

putin's boy made it so.

Can someone/anyone in the government get the russians out of my government before putin moves into the White House?

Falling down,...not staying down
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

Yah.

Anytime you can sit down two leaders who are at war is a positive step in my opinion.  I don't know what will come out of it but it was nice to see them meet face to face as opposed to on twitter.
    I also thought that canceling war-games in the spring was a great concession because tensions would always increase during that time.  
    What if those “concessions” were for exclusive rights to build “nice” hotels in NK? Would you feel all warm and fuzzy about the pomp and circumstances?

Brilliantati©
    Goebbels would be proud.

Reactions to a new era of American diplomacy

Leaders the world over spoke of the powerful significance of President Trump's summit with Kim Jong Un this week. South Korean President Moon Jae-in called the meeting "historic," adding that "we will never go back to the past again." According to the New York Post, people broke into cheers and applause at a train station in Seoul as President Trump shook Chairman Kim's hand on TV.

Here at home, U.S. officials look forward to a new chapter. "For decades, American policy toward North Korea has failed, and I commend @POTUS for not accepting the status quo," Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI) tweeted. "This an historic opportunity to end the Korean War [and] get North Korea to give up their weapons and missiles," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said.

Security expert Christian Whiton explains what the President's critics miss about the summit. In the past, U.S. administrations gave away too much upfront. "This time, President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have insisted that North Korea undertake actual disarmament before real financial concessions or even sanctions relief," Whiton writes. Read more.

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

Yah.

What if those “concessions” were for exclusive rights to build “nice” hotels in NK? Would you feel all warm and fuzzy about the pomp and circumstances?
    If it means that North Korea opens its borders and treats its citizens a hell of a lot better than I am all for it.  If it is only to build hotels then the obvious answer is no.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814

He totally should totally have done this in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin