~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    For those that care... Mika and the kitten are pawing at each other through my daughter's door. There's a connection brewing and I'm excited for it. Here's Mika outside the door (she rarely leaves it):

good luck!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • We have allowed for more opportunity to interact. Mika is fascinated with the kitten- she follows it everywhere and watches it as it goes bananas. There's been no aggression.

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    We have allowed for more opportunity to interact. Mika is fascinated with the kitten- she follows it everywhere and watches it as it goes bananas. There's been no aggression.

Mika will discipline the kitten when he needs to.

Now is the fun time when they start to bond!!!
  • We have allowed for more opportunity to interact. Mika is fascinated with the kitten- she follows it everywhere and watches it as it goes bananas. There's been no aggression.

Mika will discipline the kitten when he needs to.

Now is the fun time when they start to bond!!!

Awesome!

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    We have allowed for more opportunity to interact. Mika is fascinated with the kitten- she follows it everywhere and watches it as it goes bananas. There's been no aggression.

So awesome!
    These two will be up to causing trouble together real soon.
    How old is Mika? I've thought about adopting a sibling for Juniper ...
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."

So awesome!
    These two will be up to causing trouble together real soon.
    How old is Mika? I've thought about adopting a sibling for Juniper ...
    Mika is set to turn 4 years old.

They were hilarious tonight. Mika became very playful with the kitten tonight. The kitten makes the weirdest noises lol.

My wife has a time of evening where she gives Mika treats. Mika knows this time of evening and really looks forward to it.

The kitten jumped on one of her treats and ate it... while Mika watched her do it. The moment the kitten did it... I was ready to spring to its defence. There was no need to! Mika did nothin at all- she has been very patient.

We're still keeping them apart at night and during the day when nobody is home, but soon I'm thinking we'll have the confidence to leave them together.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ So awesome! I love how intrigued Mika is in those pictures. 

It's all fun and games until someone steals the catnip toy :bring_it:

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM

I SAW PEARL JAM
    ^^^ I let her win this battle against the hand monster. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

"You don't wanna mess with me. I'll kill you, man."
  • ^ So awesome! I love how intrigued Mika is in those pictures. 

It's all fun and games until someone steals the catnip toy :bring_it:

Lol

I like the 'lie in the ray of sunshine while I kick the shot out of this thing'!
  • Things are all good on my end. The cats are really digging each other. It has been really fun to watch. The kitten is- like all kittens- super cute; but I've marvelled at Mika and how she has handled this situation. Fascinating watching animals.

Things are all good on my end. The cats are really digging each other. It has been really fun to watch. The kitten is- like all kittens- super cute; but I've marvelled at Mika and how she has handled this situation. Fascinating watching animals.

Oh so sweet. Happy to hear that it is all going well. 

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • I realize I've been posting ad nauseum, but I thought I should send this picture of the two snooches (taken when I got home from mountain biking tonight):

Well damn. That is f'n cute as Hell. Guess yours are doing okay?!! ;)
    I realize I've been posting ad nauseum, but I thought I should send this picture of the two snooches (taken when I got home from mountain biking tonight):

awwww so cute.  glad they are getting along :smiley:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Things are going great! Mika has been the most patient cat ever- her maternal instincts are exceptionally strong (it's been fascinating to observe).

The kitten flies about the place and attacks Mika's tail relentlessly, but Mika is pretty chill- she adores the kitten. 

We've intervened a couple times when Mika has had the kitten pinned down, but more from optics- the kitten comes right back to aggravate (she's not intimidated at all).

I'm hoping Juniper gets a sibling @giventofly69
    I realize I've been posting ad nauseum, but I thought I should send this picture of the two snooches (taken when I got home from mountain biking tonight):

Keep posting Thirty cuz we love the pics.  This one is adorable. Adorable. And so happy to hear that Mika is being such a good cat mamma.
    Juniper will be an only child for a little longer ... maybe 2019 will be the year ...
  • I realize I've been posting ad nauseum, but I thought I should send this picture of the two snooches (taken when I got home from mountain biking tonight):

Keep posting Thirty cuz we love the pics.  This one is adorable. Adorable. And so happy to hear that Mika is being such a good cat mamma.
    Juniper will be an only child for a little longer ... maybe 2019 will be the year ...

Cheers (to both)!
    Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.
    Sorry to hear that, Dave. It might just be her thyroid, which is perfectly manageable. I have to deal with the thyroid issue with Molly, and it’s no sweat. She only weighs six pounds; I think the most she’s ever weighed was eight pounds.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it’s just that and nothing more serious. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited June 2018
    Oh dear. Maybe she has hyperthyroidism. That's why one of my cats started rapidly losing weight... The good news is that there are pills to manage it. The bad news is that you have keep giving the pills at least twice a day, every day, for the rest of their lives. Give her throat a feel, where an Adam's apple would be on a man. Do you feel a noticeable lump (that actually kind of feels like an adam's apple)? If so, that could be an enlarged thyroid = possible hyperthyroidism.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Aww I'm so sorry Dave. Did she mention anything about it being somehow stress related from just losing your precious Willow? :frowning:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh dear. Maybe she has hyperthyroidism. That's why one of my cats started rapidly losing weight... The good news is that there are pills to manage it. The bad news is that you have keep giving the pills at least twice a day, every day, for the rest of their lives. Give her throat a feel, where an Adam's apple would be on a man. Do you feel a noticeable lump (that actually kind of feels like an adam's apple)? If so, that could be an enlarged thyroid = possible hyperthyroidism.
    didn't feel anything on her neck, no

Aww I'm so sorry Dave. Did she mention anything about it being somehow stress related from just losing your precious Willow? :frowning:
    i don't think it's that.  she is eating and drinking normally. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    she has diabetes :disappointed:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

Damn, Dave. While it’s not as benign a diagnosis as hyperthyroidism, it’s still manageable, and Kali will likely still have lots of good times ahead. 

Molly sends her love. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Juniper sends love too 
    dankind said:

Damn, Dave. While it’s not as benign a diagnosis as hyperthyroidism, it’s still manageable, and Kali will likely still have lots of good times ahead. 

Molly sends her love. 

thanks, yeah it's manageable.  just two shots of insulin a day. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    dankind said:

Molly sends her love. 

thanks, yeah it's manageable.  just two shots of insulin a day. 
    Have you had to give her shots before? Molly doesn’t even notice. I feel like it’s harder for us than it is for them. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM