Donald Trump

Comments

• So what is the dumber idea? Arming teachers or executing drug dealers?

The wall ranks up there too, but for my money... arming the teachers is arguably one of the stupidest entertained ideas I've ever heard.

Diehard gun nutters and gun lackeys indebted to the gun industry understand the problem they have been denying is getting out of hand. Having no viable solution other than the obvious one... this was a feeble Hail Mary. I can't imagine someone actually thinking this was a legitimate answer.

Ironically, they didn't need to reveal their stupidity. The will is not there right now to remove any guns from circulation. We will see how that develops once the students become of age to cast a vote though. The Repubes would do well to recognize the growing threat to their existence. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    A lot of odd ties between my small city, Cambridge Analytics, and Brexit

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/victoria-man-at-centre-of-international-political-thriller-1.23206550
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    So what is the dumber idea? Arming teachers or executing drug dealers?

The wall ranks up there too, but for my money... arming the teachers is arguably one of the stupidest entertained ideas I've ever heard.

Diehard gun nutters and gun lackeys indebted to the gun industry understand the problem they have been denying is getting out of hand. Having no viable solution other than the obvious one... this was a feeble Hail Mary. I can't imagine someone actually thinking this was a legitimate answer.

Ironically, they didn't need to reveal their stupidity. The will is not there right now to remove any guns from circulation. We will see how that develops once the students become of age to cast a vote though. The Repubes would do well to recognize the growing threat to their existence. 
    I don't know if that will do anything. the gun lobby is just too powerful. and there are enough people that are growing up as children of the gun nutters that will carry the torch of their parents. and with 2A, also comes other conservative values. even if they are willing to give up assault rifles, or whatever, they still aren't going to vote democrat for the other political landmines that lay at their feet (immigration, terrorism, economy, crime, etc). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• So what is the dumber idea? Arming teachers or executing drug dealers?

I don't know if that will do anything. the gun lobby is just too powerful. and there are enough people that are growing up as children of the gun nutters that will carry the torch of their parents. and with 2A, also comes other conservative values. even if they are willing to give up assault rifles, or whatever, they still aren't going to vote democrat for the other political landmines that lay at their feet (immigration, terrorism, economy, crime, etc). 

Geezuz Hugh...

The one time I try to be optimistic in the past seven years and you flatten me lol.

You might be right.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Geezuz Hugh...

The one time I try to be optimistic in the past seven years and you flatten me lol.

You might be right.
    the political chasm in the US is widening. it ain't gonna be pretty. it's already not pretty. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

Geezuz Hugh...

You might be right.
    the political chasm in the US is widening. it ain't gonna be pretty. it's already not pretty. 

This is my biggest concern, people here only care about what they want, not what is best for the country.

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814

Geezuz Hugh...

You might be right.

This is my biggest concern, people here only care about what they want, not what is best for the country.

Hell, a third of them care about "pissing off libs" more than anything else.  Whenever I get a hankerin' to torture myself on social media, my usual retort is "you used 'liberal' three times in this post.  You don't care about your country and your community.  You care about villainizing."   And I believe that. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have never had a FB account nor will I ever get one, even if it were the very last communication method left for humankind.
    I block everyone's feed that annoys me.  For me it was nice to log on and see mostly news, etc.  Recently the targeted ads are annoying as hell.  If I look up lawnmowers on Amazon the next time I log into FB I see tons of lawnmower ads.

A few years back you could set up an option where your comments, etc. would not appear in the news feed.  They did away with that so everyone pretty much sees what you comment on.

Twitter is my new favorite.  
    They still have those settings available, FYI. You can totally choose for your comments to not be viewable by others.
    I personally just don't put any personal info on FB, and feel like I have nothing to worry about. My friends are mostly strangers with shared interests, plus a small number of really close friends. Otherwise, it's just news and music feeds. I agree the ads are annoying, but at least you can tell them you aren't interested in them, and they go away forever... to make room for your next Amazon search, lol.
    I would find it difficult to get rid of FB even if I wanted to - I just get way too much useful info in my news feed, mostly about music/bands/artists, as well as news headlines from sources of my choice. It's by far the easiest way for me to keep on top of what I'm specifically interested in. I would feel really out of touch without it.

Russia was able to acquire entire contact and friend lists, and blow through all user "security settings."

FB even has the ability to track users and suggest "friends" that a customer may not want to know "IRL" such as someone's "masseuse." FB is not disclosing how they do this. Ew.

There are other services that can provide a news and interest timeline as well as or better than FB. 

If a consumer needs to have strict protocol and settings about use of a product, does that not speak to the quality of the product?
    My wife and I are renting a cottage this summer from someone we know. we are not friends on facebook, nor do we have friends in common. we only know each other's phone numbers. All of a sudden this year this woman became one of my suggested friends. I have no fucking clue how, as I've never searched for this person online that I can recall, and if my wife has, she's not on facebook. it's freaking me the fuck out. 

what freaks the wife and I out sometimes, we'll be talking about a product/service, neither one of us doing a search online- and it automatically appears in her facebook feed.   mic enabled on phone/tablet? 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Nami said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have never had a FB account nor will I ever get one, even if it were the very last communication method left for humankind.
    I block everyone's feed that annoys me.  For me it was nice to log on and see mostly news, etc.  Recently the targeted ads are annoying as hell.  If I look up lawnmowers on Amazon the next time I log into FB I see tons of lawnmower ads.

A few years back you could set up an option where your comments, etc. would not appear in the news feed.  They did away with that so everyone pretty much sees what you comment on.

They still have those settings available, FYI. You can totally choose for your comments to not be viewable by others.
    I personally just don't put any personal info on FB, and feel like I have nothing to worry about. My friends are mostly strangers with shared interests, plus a small number of really close friends. Otherwise, it's just news and music feeds. I agree the ads are annoying, but at least you can tell them you aren't interested in them, and they go away forever... to make room for your next Amazon search, lol.
    I would find it difficult to get rid of FB even if I wanted to - I just get way too much useful info in my news feed, mostly about music/bands/artists, as well as news headlines from sources of my choice. It's by far the easiest way for me to keep on top of what I'm specifically interested in. I would feel really out of touch without it.

Russia was able to acquire entire contact and friend lists, and blow through all user "security settings."

FB even has the ability to track users and suggest "friends" that a customer may not want to know "IRL" such as someone's "masseuse." FB is not disclosing how they do this. Ew.

There are other services that can provide a news and interest timeline as well as or better than FB. 

If a consumer needs to have strict protocol and settings about use of a product, does that not speak to the quality of the product?
    My wife and I are renting a cottage this summer from someone we know. we are not friends on facebook, nor do we have friends in common. we only know each other's phone numbers. All of a sudden this year this woman became one of my suggested friends. I have no fucking clue how, as I've never searched for this person online that I can recall, and if my wife has, she's not on facebook. it's freaking me the fuck out. 

what freaks the wife and I out sometimes, we'll be talking about a product/service, neither one of us doing a search online- and it automatically appears in her facebook feed.   mic enabled on phone/tablet? 
    Yup. That’s happened to us before as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Nami said:
    PJ_Soul said:

me too. scary shit. I keep telling my wife she needs to cover the webcam on the laptop when she's walking around in the buff in the morning. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    mfc2006 said:
    Nami said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That's pretty messed up.  I wonder if FB will be held accountable for their roll in all of this?  Share prices dropping- insiders dropping stock before shitstorm?  You never know.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    OnWis97 said:
    Hell, a third of them care about "pissing off libs" more than anything else.  Whenever I get a hankerin' to torture myself on social media, my usual retort is "you used 'liberal' three times in this post.  You don't care about your country and your community.  You care about villainizing."   And I believe that. 

Good call.

I have what used to be a great friend who has gone completely off the deep end with his hatred for Obama & Hillary.

I used to consider him to be a pretty bright guy, but in recent years his entire political stance has been "F Libs" and nothing else.

It's scary to see the nonsense he's shared / promoted on facebook & twitter. (he sent me an article claiming Chris Cornell was killed because he was about to expose one of Hillary's pedophilia rings... idk how to even process such foolishness - it's scary when that's coming from someone you used to respect)  

It sucks, because I've lost so much respect for someone who was in my wedding party and I used to genuinely love. I hate letting politics get in the way of a friendship, but the guy has lost pretty much all credibility with me.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Nami said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Nami said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That's pretty messed up.  I wonder if FB will be held accountable for their roll in all of this?  Share prices dropping- insiders dropping stock before shitstorm?  You never know.

I wouldn't be surprised the entire planet's search history gets posted on some website at some point in the future.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I’ve alwYs thought it was the app. If you use the the Facebook app it ties into your phonebook/contacts or something because I had those things pop up for possible friends that I had called or texted here or there.  I got rid of my fb years ago, it’s way too unsettling knowing people are out there preying on folks by their fb profiles
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:

Sure. I don't personally consider my friends list a security concern. Those people are already on FB themselves, and what they choose to reveal about themselves is their problem. I also consider what suggested friends you're friending is your own responsibility. What I'm talking about is that I don't have my address, phone number, middle name, employer, etc etc connected to FB, like many do (though they likely have my email address, even though it's not public). You know, the info that actually matters. I personally couldn't care less if FB or anyone else knows what I buy on Amazon or which news websites I like. They have many other ways to track how everyone is consuming news and shit, so whatever. That said, I do understand why others are bothered by things like this more than I am. It's kind of the principle of it more than it is what info they are actually gathering I think. It up to each individual to decide what they are okay with "them" knowing, and to act accordingly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sure. I don't personally consider my friends list a security concern. Those people are already on FB themselves, and what they choose to reveal about themselves is their problem. I also consider what suggested friends you're friending is your own responsibility. What I'm talking about is that I don't have my address, phone number, middle name, employer, etc etc connected to FB, like many do (though they likely have my email address, even though it's not public). You know, the info that actually matters. I personally couldn't care less if FB or anyone else knows what I buy on Amazon or which news websites I like. They have many other ways to track how everyone is consuming news and shit, so whatever. That said, I do understand why others are bothered by things like this more than I am. It's kind of the principle of it more than it is what info they are actually gathering I think. It up to each individual to decide what they are okay with "them" knowing, and to act accordingly.
    facebook knows nothing about me except the bare minimum what it required to sign up with an account. how the fuck did it know to suggest a "friend" that has zero relation to me or any of my other friends when I rented a cottage from this person last year, paid with cash, and nothing was done online and this person is not in my phone contacts, it was my wife (with no social media accounts) who contacted this person. you don't find that a little bit concerning and big brotherish?

that said, I recall a few years back...a buddy of mine who has a cottage and frequents it in the summer months....he has his fucking full street address in his facebook profile, and I don't even know if his profile was private. I messaged him and said "uh, dude, you post pictures of you at your cottage, so people know where you live and that your house is currently empty....ya MIGHT wanna take that info off there". The naivety of even intelligent people sometimes astounds me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    "I had a call with President Putin and congratulated him on the victory ... We'll probably be meeting in the not-too-distant future to discuss the arms race, which is getting out of control."
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    the meeting is going to be less of an arms race discussion and more of a "can you give me tips on how to control my subjects like you do?" discussion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

facebook knows nothing about me except the bare minimum what it required to sign up with an account. how the fuck did it know to suggest a "friend" that has zero relation to me or any of my other friends when I rented a cottage from this person last year, paid with cash, and nothing was done online and this person is not in my phone contacts, it was my wife (with no social media accounts) who contacted this person. you don't find that a little bit concerning and big brotherish?

that said, I recall a few years back...a buddy of mine who has a cottage and frequents it in the summer months....he has his fucking full street address in his facebook profile, and I don't even know if his profile was private. I messaged him and said "uh, dude, you post pictures of you at your cottage, so people know where you live and that your house is currently empty....ya MIGHT wanna take that info off there". The naivety of even intelligent people sometimes astounds me. 
    I personally don't care, no, because it doesn't hurt me. What do I care if they know who rented a cottage to me? But also, obviously there WAS a link there somewhere. Just because you're not aware of what that link was doesn't mean there is something more sinister going on. But as I said, I do understand why others find this kind of thing disturbing, especially when the links aren't clear to them (even though they exist). I will personally be disturbed when I feel that what they know actually has a negative impact on me, or when it's indication of the REAL big brother. "Big Brother" seems like a threat to me when it actually plays a role in controlling my life. That is not the case now, when all "he" seems to be doing is figuring out what I like to buy so it can blast advertising at me. Sure, there are questions about using technology/social media to direct political messaging - like passive brainwashing. Now THAT is a valid concern IMO... But I think the most effective way to combat that is not for us to restrict our actions. It's to EDUCATE people about how to interpret messaging on social media. I am extremely concerned that that kind of education is not being made a huge focus in education. I think it should start in Grade 1 at some level and expand from there all the way through high school. Teach the population to understand the messaging, how to spot attempts at manipulation or false info when they see it, how to understand direct marketing and how it's done, how to really find those links that seem nonexistent to most people now, etc etc. And YES! To teach people to not do what your friend was doing! That is exactly the kind of thing that gets people in big trouble!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    well if you wait for it to "hurt you" before you become concerned, then it will be too late anyway. 

my daughters' school library has signs up that read "how to spot fake news". kind of threw me for a loop. first thing that came to mind was Trump, obviously, and I thought someone at their school was going full on Fox News on them. Then I read it and it's teaching them, at a young age, how to think critically about what they see online and on tv. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    well if you wait for it to "hurt you" before you become concerned, then it will be too late anyway. 

my daughters' school library has signs up that read "how to spot fake news". kind of threw me for a loop. first thing that came to mind was Trump, obviously, and I thought someone at their school was going full on Fox News on them. Then I read it and it's teaching them, at a young age, how to think critically about what they see online and on tv. 
    I am not waiting for it to hurt me before becoming concerned. I've got my eye on it. I intend to protect myself from it hurting me (if possible) when that becomes relevant to me personally. That doesn't mean I like it btw. I'm just not personally all "paranoid" about it, maybe because I have always been cautious and I think have managed to protect myself where many others might not have. 

I studied this kind of think for my degree, and even way back then, when the internet was just barely getting started (I'm getting old!!) there was a real focus on learning how to interpret messages and guard against manipulation in terms of both false info and marketing tactics. I also remember many of the Communications professors being concerned that education would not keep up with technological/internet literacy at all, and they were totally right. So it's sad that the issue had to reach crisis levels before anyone started cluing in, since experts knew it was needed about 20 years ago, before everyone was already locked into bad habits and total ignorance.
    edited March 2018
    Uh oh spaghetti-O.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/judge-rules-defamation-case-against-trump-may-proceed/2018/03/20/561d1d44-f498-11e7-b34a-b85626af34ef_story.html?utm_term=.b8d8999dbf54&wpisrc=al_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

Judge rules defamation case against Trump may proceed

Summer Zervos, a former contestant on The Apprentice," looks at the camera as she embraces lawyer Gloria Allred as they leave a New York courtroom on Dec. 5. (Kena Betancur/AFP/Getty Images)

A New York judge said Tuesday that a defamation lawsuit against President Trump related to an allegation that he sexually harassed a former “Apprentice” contestant may go forward.

Summer Zervos filed the suit last year after Trump said publicly that she and other women making similar claims made them up. Trump sought to block the legal action, but New York Supreme Court Judge Jennifer G. Schecter, citing court precedent that led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton in 1998, said that “a sitting president is not immune from being sued in federal court for unofficial acts.”

Trump has repeatedly said that all of the women who accused him of touching them inappropriately were lying — a sentiment his White House reiterated as questions resurfaced about the allegations.

Trump’s attorneys argued that the president cannot be sued in state court and also argued that the comments he made were political opinion and, as a result, “squarely protected by the First Amendment.”

Schechter’s decision comes as lawyers representing Trump face another suit — this one filed in early March in Los Angeles Superior Court by porn star Stormy Daniels, who said Trump sought to silence her shortly before the 2016 election. The $130,000 hush agreement was intended to prevent her from speaking out about an alleged affair that began, Daniels said, at a celebrity golf tournament in 2006.

Zervos first made public her claims against Trump at an October 2016 news conference, as one of a parade of women who accused him of misconduct after the release of an “Access Hollywood” recording capturing the future president boasting in graphic language about groping women. At a presidential debate, Trump denied ever doing the things he described in the recording, which some of his accusers said prompted them to come forward.

Zervos has accused Trump of aggressively kissing her and groping her breasts while she was pursuing a job at his company, charges he said were untrue.

In January 2017, Zervos filed a suit in New York State Supreme Court against Trump, arguing that Trump defamed her by denying her account and calling his accusers “liars.” Attorneys for Trump pushed back on multiple fronts, arguing that the suit was “politically motivated” and was built around “allegations of events that never occurred.”

A former Playboy model who says she was paid $150,000 to keep quiet about her affair with Trump also filed a lawsuit Tuesday to invalidate the deal so she can speak freely.

The model, Karen McDougal, is suing American Media, the owner of the National Enquirer, which paid her the money in exchange for her silence.

and no, there was no link there unless facebook is able to mine for data on the device it is on. it was all done via text message/phone conversation. no google searches or anything of the like. and we got the name from someone who isn't even on social media. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and no, there was no link there unless facebook is able to mine for data on the device it is on. it was all done via text message/phone conversation. no google searches or anything of the like. and we got the name from someone who isn't even on social media. 
    And you have no clue what the guy who rented the place to you was up to...
    PJ_Soul said:
    uh, she didn't even know my name. it was all under my wife's name, who isn't on social media. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    uh, she didn't even know my name. it was all under my wife's name, who isn't on social media. 
    So what are you saying? That you think someone is what? Tapping your phones? Seriously man, there IS a link that you're missing. You just don't know what it is. But I assume people know who you're married to, right? It also could have something to do with your own activities while you were there, etc etc. I'm not saying I know what the link is obviously. But there is one that falls short of... whatever you're thinking about. Nobody cares about you enough to know that shit through more sinister means, lol. ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So what are you saying? That you think someone is what? Tapping your phones? Seriously man, there IS a link that you're missing. You just don't know what it is. But I assume people know who you're married to, right? It also could have something to do with your own activities while you were there, etc etc. I'm not saying I know what the link is obviously. But there is one that falls short of... whatever you're thinking about. Nobody cares about you enough to know that shit through more sinister means, lol. ;)
    no. I don't let her out of the basement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe they were researching you through your wife?  Like they did a google search on your wife, found out she is married to you and then searched Facebook for you?  Regardless, creepy...
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    no. I don't let her out of the basement. 
    :lol: I was actually going to mention the obvious extreme likelihood of your wife having a secret account that you don't know about. =);)
This discussion has been closed.