America's Gun Violence

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    It's also mostly men that own the guns... I bet 95% of AR 15's are owned by white men... maybe trying to make up for a small penis? 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    ^^^

What is your question?

You are making statements. You haven't asked anything.
    Shouldn't we be doing more to figure out "why" these mass murders are mostly being caused by young men and boys?
    Young men between the ages of about 14 and mid twenties are always the most violent, in any culture and at any point in history. I’m not sure that we need to wonder about that; it’s nothing new. In the US that violence is expressed with gun violence, whereas in other countries without the easy access to guns it is expressed through fist fights and the like. 

So, we’re back to the issue of gun access. 

There are complexities to do with culture and socialization, but that’s the reality. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    my2hands said:
    Let's talk about anything but the guns, right? lol
    This is why I don't care to comment on this particular thread.

I offered a question stemming to why boys/men do the shootings and woman do not and maybe there is something more to it and everyone wants to pick it apart.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole gun freak culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    The guy in vegas was older than that too ..
    I know there are exceptions where people are older.  Who is going into the schools and shooting them up?

Young men and young boys?  Yes or no?

Everyone seems to be ignoring that issue, as usual. This is probably the 20th time the fact that this is a problem with males has been mentioned in this thread, half the time by me, and perhaps the other half by you, and almost nobody ever has a single thing to say about it. It's very frustrating that nobody has any intention of ever changing what really needs to change. Everyone just keeps talking about gun regulations (which I do support as an "it can't hurt; it can only help" kind of thing, but they're not going to get to the root of the problem at all).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    my2hands said:
    It's also mostly men that own the guns... I bet 95% of AR 15's are owned by white men... maybe trying to make up for a small penis? 
    And big buildings and fast cars and nice clothes...
    my2hands said:
    This is why I don't care to comment on this particular thread.

I offered a question stemming to why boys/men do the shootings and woman do not and maybe there is something more to it and everyone wants to pick it apart.
    Oftenreading answered your concerns, pretty well imo
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    And perhaps my posts are invisible, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Put it on a sticker and he'd read it!
    just kidding.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    Still waiting for someone in here to tell me why they need a weapon like that?
    Has anyone said "because the constitution says I can?"
    Has anyone responded as to why these massacres only happen here ? when was the last time 17 highschool student got murdered in JAPAN or ENGLAND or CHILE or ARGENTINA ? 
    True.  In a bunch of countries it is mandatory to own a gun and mass shootings don't happen there either.

I don't have an answer as to why these things happen here but I wish someone would start studying it.

Really you think maybe that 5 to 10 million AR15's in circulation has anything to do with it ?
    Not at all.  Tell me an NRA member that has shot up a school.

The evil AR15 is used in less than 2% of murders where a firearm is used.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole gun freak culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    I know there are exceptions where people are older.  Who is going into the schools and shooting them up?

Everyone seems to be ignoring that issue, as usual. This is probably the 20th time the fact that this is a problem with males has been mentioned in this thread, half the time by me, and perhaps the other half by you, and almost nobody ever has a single thing to say about it. It's very frustrating that nobody has any intention of ever changing what really needs to change. Everyone just keeps talking about gun regulations (which I do support as an "it can't hurt; it can only help" kind of thing, but they're not going to get to the root of the problem at all).
    No, it hasn't been ignored. Several have commented on it. If this were merely about the gender and age of the perpetrator then this would be happening all over the world, or at least in predominantly white populated countries, but it's not. Access to guns is the X factor. Troubled youth is nothing new (drop the leash!). Several people would also argue about the other gun violence phenomena, young blacks males. A lot correlates to their socio-economic living conditions and parenting situation, but overall without access to guns the violence wouldn't be as extreme.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So, what is "getting to the root of the problem"? Removing all males? I just don't understand what you're getting at or suggesting. As a group, males in the age range I mentioned are always more violent, everywhere. It isn't an American thing, it isn't a Western thing, it isn't a modern thing - it's just the way it is. Same as it ever was.
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Hormone therapy for young males? Why should older people have all the fun? 
  • Boys/girls... men/women... different animals.

We don't need to investigate why it's 'boys' or 'men' committing these acts. We only need to look at the history of civilization to understand that the male gender is much more prone to violence than women. I'll go one step further and say that much more often than not... if a woman has committed a violent act... it's because some man has affected her. I say this from the vantage point of a man.

Stop reaching: the problem is guns. Pure and simple. The sheer number of them and the characteristics of some of them.

The US has no immediate solution and is in for a few more decades of these horrific acts, but that doesn't mean 'do nothing'... it means take the steps that your forefathers failed to do to keep people safer (for your kids).

Without question... another 20 years of selling AR15s and their ilk... and easy access isn't making the country safer. Get serious people. Nobody is buying any garbage spewed forth to the contrary. I mean to say... nobody with any common sense. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    my2hands said:
    That's  because guns don't  kill people

Gun owners kill people
    Boys/girls... men/women... different animals.

We don't need to investigate why it's 'boys' or 'men' committing these acts. We only need to look at the history of civilization to understand that the male gender is much more prone to violence than women. I'll go one step further and say that much more often than not... if a woman has committed a violent act... it's because some man has affected her. I say this from the vantage point of a man.

Stop reaching: the problem is guns. Pure and simple. The sheer number of them and the characteristics of some of them.

The US has no immediate solution and is in for a few more decades of these horrific acts, but that doesn't mean 'do nothing'... it means take the steps that your forefathers failed to do to keep people safer (for your kids).

Without question... another 20 years of selling AR15s and their ilk... and easy access isn't making the country safer. Get serious people. Nobody is buying any garbage spewed forth to the contrary. I mean to say... nobody with any common sense. 
    If something has been a problem since the dawn of civilization, why would that not be worth a look-see?
    Boys/girls... men/women... different animals.

If something has been a problem since the dawn of civilization, why would that not be worth a look-see?

It's had more than a passing "look-see" over the centuries
  • This argument is stupid.

Are boys and men in the US different than boys and men in... oh... say Canada? No.

The only difference in the two countries are the type of weapons each country affords their boys and men... and the amount of weapons each country's boys and men possess.

Time to get serious here.
    I don't  think that anyone is saying that there is an issue more important than gun control. It is just frustrating to hear that others consider it a hopeless cause to consider the part men play in this gun violence, because it has always been this way. 

This argument is stupid.

Are boys and men in the US different than boys and men in... oh... say Canada? No.

The only difference in the two countries are the type of weapons each country affords their boys and men... and the amount of weapons each country's boys and men possess.

This is most likely why I have a disconnect to the issue.

I have been around firearms since I was 10.  Have shot "assault" style weapons, have owned them and handguns and never once have I thought to go out and shoot up a school, place of work or a bar.

To think that people who are of the right mind who own firearms and go out and shoot people is foreign to me.  I would like to think that all of you on here participating wouldn't go and commit mass murder either, even if you don't own a gun.

There is a disconnect.

I'm not in favor of banning anything.  I'm in favor of making it a little more difficult to obtain a firearm though.  If all 50 states would agree to the same law I'd be ok with extreme scrutiny too as long as it was the same across the board.

my2hands said:
    That's  because guns don't  kill people

Gun owners kill people
    That is like saying Muslims blow people up and drive cars into crowds.

Both completely stupid things to say.
    Again.....

Why does any civilian NEED an AR 15 or similar weapon, and how does it benefit society?

What good are AR 15's bringing America????

Im trying to figure out why guys are clinging to these weapons like their childhood blankie 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    This argument is stupid.

Do you realize that the ar-15 is legal in canada?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Still waiting for someone in here to tell me why they need a weapon like that?
    Has anyone said "because the constitution says I can?"
    Has anyone responded as to why these massacres only happen here ? when was the last time 17 highschool student got murdered in JAPAN or ENGLAND or CHILE or ARGENTINA ? 
    True.  In a bunch of countries it is mandatory to own a gun and mass shootings don't happen there either.

I don't have an answer as to why these things happen here but I wish someone would start studying it.

Really you think maybe that 5 to 10 million AR15's in circulation has anything to do with it ?
    Not at all.  Tell me an NRA member that has shot up a school.

The evil AR15 is used in less than 2% of murders where a firearm is used.
    Let’s keep it to masacres ok how many massacres have been co
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    How many masacres have been committed with a hand gun ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    That's the point.

First you'll want the AR.

Then it will be the handguns.

No more compromise.  Actually there never has been compromise, gun owners has always given.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    unsung said:
    That's the point.

No more compromise.  Actually there never has been compromise, gun owners has always given.
    Careful there, it’s only allowable to use slippery slope arguments if you are a gun control nut, lol.  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    This argument is stupid.

Do you realize that the ar-15 is legal in canada?
    Yes. But it's not hanging on the shelves at the local sporting goods store for a quick purchase. And to obtain it requires your left nut (restrictions and registered with the RCMP).

I guarantee if there was 'one' shooting like you guys experience on a weekly basis... it would be gone.
  • unsung said:
    That's the point.

The handgun should be in your country's sights. It is the major driver for the unbelievable statistics your country boasts regarding deaths by guns (you know... the one where per capita you guys kick everybody else's asses in deaths by guns?).

'No more compromise' would indicate some form of compromise at some point in time. Just from your cold dead hands, eh? Comical.
This discussion has been closed.