Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    found the answer to my own question (I knew what it was, just not familiar with the term):

Enter the pistol brace, also known as a stabilizing brace. For all practical purposes, this device allows pistols with short barrels to have something resembling a shoulder stock.

Companies began marketing pistol braces in the early 2010s after getting approval letters from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The braces are designed to be strapped to the arm, allowing AR-15-style pistols to be more easily fired with one hand.

Many of these devices closely resemble shoulder stocks and can be used in that fashion, which raises another question for the ATF. If you put a pistol brace to your shoulder, does that turn your gun into something illegal?

The ATF has gone back and forth on its answer. The agency has issued several open letters, which are not law but indications of how the agency plans to interpret the law.

In 2012, the ATF issued a letter saying braces could be attached to a pistol without turning the weapon into a short-barreled rifle.

In 2015, the agency said firing a pistol from the shoulder with a brace would not constitute a "redesign" and would require all the necessary paperwork and taxes.

When brace manufacturers sought more clarification, the ATF again appeared to change its stance in 2017. The ATF said "incidental, sporadic, or situation ‘use’ of an arm-brace" from the shoulder did not constitute a redesign, but taking "affirmative steps to configure the device" as a shoulder stock would, such as removing straps intended to wrap around the arm.

Agree with Matt, no reason for these.  Sounds like the ATF dropped the ball.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    @mattsl1983

Nobody is going to take the time to answer your fake question because we know you and your schtick, it's the same old same. 
    You ask a question pretending to be sincere, when in fact you are just fishing for a chance to use your preloaded Fox News rebuttals that stink to high heaven.  When the turds you drop start to gather flies, you disappear with a parting shot as if the shit you left on the floor was a victory.

You are asking for posters to give detailed solutions and your only reply will be a smugly stated "won't work" and despite how much time some people spend here, NOBODY had time for that.
    This.
    Oh okay.  So you label me and differ the question.  I get it.  You must be maxed out.  Such a simpleton response.  I thought you were smarter than that.  But what the hey, if you have no real answer, downplay the question.  Point, counter point.  You win my maxed out friend.
    Third time asking this:

What would prevent these shootings? With "the great and diverse freedom test" that is the US being unique in having them?
    I don't know if anything could have prevented them but mag limits and more extensive background checks could have helped.  Ban the assault weapon then the guy would have used a handgun, ban the handgun and he would have used a shotgun.  Point being, they would have gotten some sort of gun to do their damage.
    as far as Dayton is concerned, it would have been better than an ar-15 pistol(?) with 100 round drums? what 9 dead and and 26 or so injured in roughly THIRTY SECONDS.......
    Right so I am saying that getting rid of high capacity mags would have helped in that instance.  What weapon did the Dayton shooter use (I honestly have no clue)?
    Once it came out he was a leftist Antifa supporter, all news stopped.  I agree with low capacity magazines.  The problem there now becomes how do we prevent people from getting them and how do we prevent them from coming in illegally?
    Every country have illegal guns in circulation. Not every country have mass shootings.

Asking for the fourth time - with you saying background checks wouldn't matter:

What would prevent these shootings? With "the great and diverse freedom test" that is the US being unique in having them?

Diversity.  Seriously you are caught up on this.  Please show an example of how we aren’t a test.  How many countries are there in Europe again?  How does Europe’s size compare to the US?  Please counter my point with something constructive.  I’ll agree with you, but you’ve given me nothing to agree with.
    Show an example of how any country isn't a test, if the US is a test.
    Either let it go or answer the question.  Answering a question with a question shows lack of thought and the ability to defend one’s position.

but to help you out.  France, Germany, Spain, England are all very close would you not agree?  All have maintained their cultural heritage as a majority for how many years?  Why haven’t they all just given in and become one?  Is there any example that compares to the United States historically?  Hence why we are a test.  Either argue against it or move on.
  • Options
    PROBLEM:

Banning 100 round magazines and pistol brace:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,870
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

CINCINNATI – Even though it looked like a rifle, the gun used to kill nine people and wound at least 14 more was likely classified as a pistol, skirting laws restricting short-barreled rifles.

Will the device on Connor Betts' weapon, called a "pistol brace," become the next bump stock in nation's gun control debate?

Here's what we know about the AR-15 style .223 caliber firearm used in the Dayton shooting Sunday:

• It was legally purchased by Betts' from an online retailer in Texas. It then was transferred to him by a local firearms dealer who would be required to perform a background check, police said.
    • Nothing on Betts' criminal record would have prevented him from buying a gun.
    • He used legal-to-own 100-round drum magazines.
    • The lower receiver, which houses the trigger, was made by Anderson Manufacturing in Hebron, Kentucky. Under federal law, the lower receiver is the gun. Purchasing a lower receiver requires a background check. All other parts of guns, such as barrels and stocks, can be bought legally off the shelf or online.
    • Betts could have had as many as 250 rounds in his possession; he fired at least 41 rounds in about 30 seconds.
        continues.....
    100 round drum....insanity.  The only saving grace with those drums are that they easily jam (maybe that's why he only shot 41 rounds?).  
    I'm intrigued by this "pistol brace" as it is a word I am not familiar with.  
    well, semiautomatic and the cops were already there and popped him at roughly 30 secs.

can you get more than that off in 30, even in a no stress situation?

google it. have tried to paste a link to a site. but this goddamn fucking place is fucked up on a phone

what I read its basically a forearm stock....or intended to be.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PROBLEM:

Banning 100 round magazines and pistol brace:

I honestly don’t get it.  At any point are we going to address the glorified violent society we live in or mental health issues?  The US has had guns since day one.  Mass shootings are on the rise.  What’s changed from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s?  
  • Options
    Some food for thought:

Of the 27 Deadliest Mass Shooters, 26 of Them Had One Thing in Common

Venker goes on to explain that of CNN’s list of the “27 Deadliest Mass Shootings In U.S. History, only one was raised by his biological father since childhood.

“Indeed, there is a direct correlation between boys who grow up with absent fathers and boys who drop out of school, who drink, who do drugs, who become delinquent and who wind up in prison,” she writes.  “And who kill their classmates.”

This problem can’t be solved by any policy, or any sort of gun control. It is time to have a serious discussion about the degradation of our cultural norms.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/02/27-deadliest-mass-shooters-26-one-thing-common/

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

CINCINNATI – Even though it looked like a rifle, the gun used to kill nine people and wound at least 14 more was likely classified as a pistol, skirting laws restricting short-barreled rifles.

Will the device on Connor Betts' weapon, called a "pistol brace," become the next bump stock in nation's gun control debate?

Here's what we know about the AR-15 style .223 caliber firearm used in the Dayton shooting Sunday:

• It was legally purchased by Betts' from an online retailer in Texas. It then was transferred to him by a local firearms dealer who would be required to perform a background check, police said.
    • The lower receiver, which houses the trigger, was made by Anderson Manufacturing in Hebron, Kentucky. Under federal law, the lower receiver is the gun. Purchasing a lower receiver requires a background check. All other parts of guns, such as barrels and stocks, can be bought legally off the shelf or online.
    • Betts could have had as many as 250 rounds in his possession; he fired at least 41 rounds in about 30 seconds.
        continues.....
    100 round drum....insanity.  The only saving grace with those drums are that they easily jam (maybe that's why he only shot 41 rounds?).  
    well, semiautomatic and the cops were already there and popped him at roughly 30 secs.

google it. have tried to paste a link to a site. but this goddamn fucking place is fucked up on a phone

I have no clue bud.  I've gotten 30 rounds off pretty fast but I have never timed it.  It does seem possible though.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

continues.....

I have no clue bud.  I've gotten 30 rounds off pretty fast but I have never timed it.  It does seem possible though.
    We hunt, we shoot guns.  The largest mag any of us has is a 15 round mag for a dreaded we are the biggest pieces of shiet ever ar.  You can get as many rounds off with that as you can a 9mm pistol.  It’s all the same, as fast as you can pull
    the trigger, the gun will fire.  Now having any sort of aim and even being remotely close to the target doing that, not a chance.  A hot topic word now is semi automatic.  That applies to almost any handgun and any shotgun that’s not a pump or over and under/side by side.  It just means the gun fires and reloads each time you pull the trigger
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Some food for thought:

Of the 27 Deadliest Mass Shooters, 26 of Them Had One Thing in Common

Venker goes on to explain that of CNN’s list of the “27 Deadliest Mass Shootings In U.S. History, only one was raised by his biological father since childhood.

“Indeed, there is a direct correlation between boys who grow up with absent fathers and boys who drop out of school, who drink, who do drugs, who become delinquent and who wind up in prison,” she writes.  “And who kill their classmates.”

This problem can’t be solved by any policy, or any sort of gun control. It is time to have a serious discussion about the degradation of our cultural norms.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/02/27-deadliest-mass-shooters-26-one-thing-common/

How many of the 27 greatest rockstars had that same thing in common?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    @mattsl1983

Nobody is going to take the time to answer your fake question because we know you and your schtick, it's the same old same. 
    You ask a question pretending to be sincere, when in fact you are just fishing for a chance to use your preloaded Fox News rebuttals that stink to high heaven.  When the turds you drop start to gather flies, you disappear with a parting shot as if the shit you left on the floor was a victory.

You are asking for posters to give detailed solutions and your only reply will be a smugly stated "won't work" and despite how much time some people spend here, NOBODY had time for that.
    This.
    Oh okay.  So you label me and differ the question.  I get it.  You must be maxed out.  Such a simpleton response.  I thought you were smarter than that.  But what the hey, if you have no real answer, downplay the question.  Point, counter point.  You win my maxed out friend.
    Third time asking this:

I don't know if anything could have prevented them but mag limits and more extensive background checks could have helped.  Ban the assault weapon then the guy would have used a handgun, ban the handgun and he would have used a shotgun.  Point being, they would have gotten some sort of gun to do their damage.
    as far as Dayton is concerned, it would have been better than an ar-15 pistol(?) with 100 round drums? what 9 dead and and 26 or so injured in roughly THIRTY SECONDS.......
    Right so I am saying that getting rid of high capacity mags would have helped in that instance.  What weapon did the Dayton shooter use (I honestly have no clue)?
    Once it came out he was a leftist Antifa supporter, all news stopped.  I agree with low capacity magazines.  The problem there now becomes how do we prevent people from getting them and how do we prevent them from coming in illegally?
    Every country have illegal guns in circulation. Not every country have mass shootings.

Diversity.  Seriously you are caught up on this.  Please show an example of how we aren’t a test.  How many countries are there in Europe again?  How does Europe’s size compare to the US?  Please counter my point with something constructive.  I’ll agree with you, but you’ve given me nothing to agree with.
    Either let it go or answer the question.  Answering a question with a question shows lack of thought and the ability to defend one’s position.

but to help you out.  France, Germany, Spain, England are all very close would you not agree?  All have maintained their cultural heritage as a majority for how many years?  Why haven’t they all just given in and become one?  Is there any example that compares to the United States historically?  Hence why we are a test.  Either argue against it or move on.
    So you are not close to France, Germany, Spain or England and have not maintained your cultural heritage for "how many years?".  In what way does that make you a, or rather, "the" test as you put it?

And in what way would that give a reason to have 120 guns per 100 people? Double that of the runner up and far exceeding the average.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
  • Options
    THOSE GOD DAMN DRAG QUEEN ADVOCATES HAVE DONE IT AGAIN
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    @mattsl1983

This.
    Third time asking this:

So you are not close to France, Germany, Spain or England and have not maintained your cultural heritage for "how many years?".  In what way does that make you a, or rather, "the" test as you put it?

And in what way would that give a reason to have 120 guns per 100 people? Double that of the runner up and far exceeding the average.
    Dude, I tried with you.  You are a snowflake that just wants to argue.  Come back when you
    have something reasonable and thoughtful to say.  You are just annoying that wants to be heard but offers no value.  When you can actually offer value instead of just being offended, I will entertain you more.                                                                                                                                                                  
    And stop with the answering a question with a question!  Seriously you have no idea how dumb you come across by doing that.  You’ve never had any higher education have you?  Don’t answer, I already know the answer.                                                                              B
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    @mattsl1983

This.
    Third time asking this:

Dude, I tried with you.  You are a snowflake that just wants to argue.  Come back when you
    have something reasonable and thoughtful to say.  You are just annoying that wants to be heard but offers no value.  When you can actually offer value instead of just being offended, I will entertain you more.                                                                                                                                                                  
    And stop with the answering a question with a question!  Seriously you have no idea how dumb you come across by doing that.  You’ve never had any higher education have you?  Don’t answer, I already know the answer.                                                                              B
    Oh, I do come off as dumb to many people on here.

But I doubt any of them would argue I come off as the dumbest in this thread the last few pages.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677
    Jeez when I saw 60 new posts in this thread since I last visited about 8 hours ago, I figured there was a mass shooting overnight or something. Thankfully that's not the case and it's just the usual crap: gifs of Jeff Goldblum, references to Kiss live albums, and of course, suggestions that someone's post is parroted from cable news. 
    Aren't you the guy being up in arms about AOC and Omar not stopping and responding to an alt-right, anti-muslim youtube channel?

I mean, I bet these 60 posts - including discussing KISS - have been of more substance than that. So maybe chill with calling other people's posts "crap" ?
    Hmm, nope. Not me.  Have been off the forum for about a year, probably more.  But great job of assuming and not researching.
    Prevention of the tragedies would be great, but reduction of the carnage is a good start.  Banning sales of military style weapons would achieve that end.  The weapon used in El Paso was purchased legally and recently.  Had the assault ban still been in place, chances are he could not have acquired the weapon.  That's a really, really easy one.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Jeez when I saw 60 new posts in this thread since I last visited about 8 hours ago, I figured there was a mass shooting overnight or something. Thankfully that's not the case and it's just the usual crap: gifs of Jeff Goldblum, references to Kiss live albums, and of course, suggestions that someone's post is parroted from cable news. 
    Aren't you the guy being up in arms about AOC and Omar not stopping and responding to an alt-right, anti-muslim youtube channel?

I mean, I bet these 60 posts - including discussing KISS - have been of more substance than that. So maybe chill with calling other people's posts "crap" ?
    Hmm, nope. Not me.  Have been off the forum for about a year, probably more.  But great job of assuming and not researching.
    Prevention of the tragedies would be great, but reduction of the carnage is a good start.  Banning sales of military style weapons would achieve that end.  The weapon used in El Paso was purchased legally and recently.  Had the assault ban still been in place, chances are he could not have acquired the weapon.  That's a really, really easy one.  
    Not really.  A rifle is a rifle.  No matter how much it looks military, it’s not.  Have you ever heard the saying you can paint a trash can but in the end it’s still a trash can?  That’s all ar’s are.  Cool looking rifles, but no difference from the same one o deer hunt with.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Not really.  A rifle is a rifle.  No matter how much it looks military, it’s not.  Have you ever heard the saying you can paint a trash can but in the end it’s still a trash can?  That’s all ar’s are.  Cool looking rifles, but no difference from the same one o deer hunt with.  

So what would prevent these shootings? With the US being unique in having them and other countries having gun laws?

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

So what would prevent these shootings? With the US being unique in having them?

I don’t have the answer, nor did I even remotely say I did.  Look at you, still just posting questions.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I just can't get over how few people an assault weapon ban would affect.  It's such a small % of the population that I can't believe it's an issue.  I was arguing with a dipshit on facebook who admitted that he isn't even a gun owner.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You're telling me that my 30 30 Marlin can exact the same damage in the same amount of time as an AR, a Bushmaster, a Street Sweeper?  That's your argument?  An AR does 20+ rounds per minute, unaltered.  It holds 30 bullets in its stock capacity.  My Marlin can hold 6.  

So explain to me how a hunting rifle like the Marlin is the same as an AR.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The inventor of the AR-15 (Stoner) says they shouldn't be sold to the public.  That's good enough for me.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mickeyrat said:

A former Navy serviceman and firearms expert told The Rundown that after viewing photos of the weapon used by the Dayton, Ohio nightclub shooter, the weapon was obviously illegally modified. 

“A pistol/rifle hybrid is completely illegal on every level,” Jack Maxey told The Rundown. “It’s clearly illegal in its current configuration.”

Here is a photo of the weapon used, according to The New York Post. 

The weapon, which was obtained legally, was modified illegally.

Any rifle that has a barrel under 16 inches is regulated under the National Firearms Act, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Clearly, the barrel on the rifle used by the shooter is less than 16 inches.

“In order to have that configuration, he would have had to file for an ATF tax stamp, either as the original owner, or as a transferrer,” Maxey said.

The ATF has strict regulations for modifying a stock firearm. The owner has to fill out a 12 page form, and oftentimes submit to a secondary background check, separate from the standard background check completed when originally purchasing a firearm. There is also a $200 fee – known as a “tax stamp” – to modify the weapon.

According to Maxey, it is extremely unlikely that the Dayton shooter when through this process. Maxey said the important question is where or how the shooter obtained the illegally modified short-barreled rifle.

“If more gun control is what they want, how does this get stopped? What’s next? We just ban parts?” Maxey said.

He has a point. Criminals, particularly those prone to mass shootings, are not exactly the types to follow intricate firearms laws. Enacting further measures will likely only burden responsible gun owners.

Editor’s Note: The Rundown does not use names or images of mass shooters.

Yes, we ban parts like the bump stock that are used to modify weapons to make them more deadly.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You're telling me that my 30 30 Marlin can exact the same damage in the same amount of time as an AR, a Bushmaster, a Street Sweeper?  That's your argument?  An AR does 20+ rounds per minute, unaltered.  It holds 30 bullets in its stock capacity.  My Marlin can hold 6.  

Actually no, an Ar has no stock capacity.  If the AR style rifle shoots 30, then yes, the same damage is done.  Same bullet.  If your marlin fires auto reload, then yes, you can fire as many rounds as fast as an Ar.  That kind of how guns work.
  • Options
    mattsl1983 said:

Look at you, still just posting questions.
    Well, because everybody else is here. Yes, everybody else is here. Watching you.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:

There's that pile of turds I predicted!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    It's always interesting when the guy shows up with one of these arguments:
    1. The AR-15 isn't an assault rifle
    2. The (insert whatever weapon the latest mass shooter used) isn't any different than your Grandpa's 22

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123

Yep that was me. And everyone came down on the source, I then checked the source, and admitted it was crap source. So yeah, bad post by me about a month ago. It's not like I post stupid shit over and over and over and over. 

See I was right in that other thread!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Actually no, an Ar has no stock capacity.  If the AR style rifle shoots 30, then yes, the same damage is done.  Same bullet.  If your marlin fires auto reload, then yes, you can fire as many rounds as fast as an Ar.  That kind of how guns work.
    Obviously I'm talking about the magazine that comes stock with a AR.  You're splitting a stupid hair and you know it.  Your argument then is the AR is incapable of flinging bullets because it doesn't have stock capacity.  That's stupid.  And the Marlin is a lever action rifle, so please explain the auto reload and semi automatic process for a lever action rifle.  I'd like to see the mod that makes the lever action semi automatic with auto reload.  
  • Options
    It's always interesting when the guy shows up with one of these arguments:
    1. The AR-15 isn't an assault rifle
    2. The (insert whatever weapon the latest mass shooter used) isn't any different than your Grandpa's 22
    It always interests me when a guy 
    1) doesn’t understand guns
    2) thinks he knows something about guns
    3) offers nothing to the conversation except the I think I know about guns but I really don’t.

now to entertain you, let’s say ar’s are illegal.  If someone’s going to commit these acts, do you really think it would be hard for them to get a hold of one? 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:

There's that pile of turds I predicted!

How so?  Please point out the difference.  You call it a pile of turds, explain why it’s a pile of turds.  I really want to know.  I might be wrong.  Show me I’m wrong.  I’ll agree with you.                                                                                            
This discussion has been closed.