America's Gun Violence

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Still waiting for someone in here to tell me why they need a weapon like that?
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    mcgruff10 said:
    We just had about 800 out of 1200 students protest nonviolently in memory of the 17 people who lost their lives in the recent attack.  I would say the vast majority sat there in silence, pretty cool stuff.
    My son said about 60% of his school participated in the walk out today.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    my2hands said:
    Has anyone said "because the constitution says I can?"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my2hands said:
    the question is "need", not "can". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    my2hands said:
    Has anyone responded as to why these massacres only happen here ? when was the last time 17 highschool student got murdered in JAPAN or ENGLAND or CHILE or ARGENTINA ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    my2hands said:
    Has anyone responded as to why these massacres only happen here ? when was the last time 17 highschool student got murdered in JAPAN or ENGLAND or CHILE or ARGENTINA ? 
    True.  In a bunch of countries it is mandatory to own a gun and mass shootings don't happen there either.

I don't have an answer as to why these things happen here but I wish someone would start studying it.

my2hands said:
    True.  In a bunch of countries it is mandatory to own a gun and mass shootings don't happen there either.

I don't have an answer as to why these things happen here but I wish someone would start studying it.

Really you think maybe that 5 to 10 million AR15's in circulation has anything to do with it ?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    my2hands said:

What countries have mandatory gun ownership? Don't say Switzerland. .
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    There are no countries that have mandatory gun ownership. I bet there are plenty of gun manufacturers who wish there were though, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    my2hands said:

Really you think maybe that 5 to 10 million AR15's in circulation has anything to do with it ?
    We will talk in circles like this thread normally does but handguns are the major cause of the deaths, so no.

Switzerland has more guns than people yet they don't have mass shootings.

There has to be more to it than just guns.

Assault ban from 1994-2004 did not decrease gun violence.  It did increase the prices of the guns and when it ended people went on spending sprees to buy more when they became legal to purchase again.

We should ban young men and young boys.  They are the ones doing all the killing.  No woman mass murderers.  We should at least do more studying and figure out "why".

my2hands said:

We will talk in circles like this thread normally does but handguns are the major cause of the deaths, so no.

Assault ban from 1994-2004 did not decrease gun violence.  It did increase the prices of the guns and when it ended people went on spending sprees to buy more when they became legal to purchase again.

We should ban young men and young boys.  They are the ones doing all the killing.  No woman mass murderers.  We should at least do more studying and figure out "why".

Can you remind what kind of weapons were used in the last two massacres ? 
    my2hands said:

I'll answer this and then you answer my question, fair?

Last two were with AR-15's.  Both legally obtained by the people whom committed the mass murders too.

Now with everything that I eluded to above, shouldn't there be more to it than owning a gun that these people commit these atrocities?

It just doesn't sit well with me that there are as you say "5 to 10 million AR15's in circulation" and more people aren't dying from them.

There has to be something more to it.  Someone should be learning as to "why" that is.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
    expect a lot more of this if Trump's ideas come to fruition. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/california-teacher-fires-gun/index.html
    Yeah, no shit.
    Trump's current plan is just more pandering to the NRA for fuck's sake. I mean, the NRA must be licking their chops over this one - it's like a dream come true for them.
    You have to admit, those kids probably did learn a lot about safety that day....
    my2hands said:

Switzerland does not have more guns than people.  Plus they ahve a max ownership per person of 3.  The US is the only country with more guns than people.  Where are you getting your information?  First you say countries have mandatory ownership, which isn't true, now this information.  I hope you aren't like that guy that was here for a minute and got all his info from memes.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Switzerland has the highest rate of gun deaths in Europe, even without mass shootings, so there’s that.....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited March 2018
    my2hands said:
    So again, why does any civilian NEED an AR-15? What is society gaining from them?
    my2hands said:

I'll answer this and then you answer my question, fair?

Last two were with AR-15's.  Both legally obtained by the people whom committed the mass murders too.

Now with everything that I eluded to above, shouldn't there be more to it than owning a gun that these people commit these atrocities?

It just doesn't sit well with me that there are as you say "5 to 10 million AR15's in circulation" and more people aren't dying from them.

There has to be something more to it.  Someone should be learning as to "why" that is.
    You want the death toll to match the amount of AR15's are in circulation funny but to me one student death is too many , and you ask why that is i'd say it's too fucking easy to buy these weapons or how about Orange bafoon reversing the OBAMA initiative on mental health 
    So since we are asking ? do you own an AR15 ?
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    expect a lot more of this if Trump's ideas come to fruition. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/california-teacher-fires-gun/index.html
    Yeah, no shit.
    Trump's current plan is just more pandering to the NRA for fuck's sake. I mean, the NRA must be licking their chops over this one - it's like a dream come true for them.
    You have to admit, those kids probably did learn a lot about safety that day....
    Whoa really how about kids learn about safety with out 17 of their classmates getting gunned down i'd say that would be a good way to learn ...
    my2hands said:

I completely agree with this. I think if we get to the root of that, then a lot of problems will be solved, not just the mass shooting in America one. OBVIOUSLY society is doing a bad job in this context. So many boys and then men are not learning better ways to deal with their emotions, anger, frustration, or testosterone, either within themselves or with others. We all know it, but nobody is doing a damn thing to change it. Most just keep making excuses for it. It is definitely a complex issue that involves education, socialization, gender roles, societal pressures and attitudes, science, parenting, etc. It's a big deal .... that doesn't mean it shouldn't be confronted, and right now. WAY more attention should be given to this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

Switzerland does not have more guns than people.  Plus they ahve a max ownership per person of 3.  The US is the only country with more guns than people.  Where are you getting your information?  First you say countries have mandatory ownership, which isn't true, now this information.  I hope you aren't like that guy that was here for a minute and got all his info from memes.  
    When I was in Iraq the locals explained how most of the people owned guns and that Sadam wanted to make it a law.  I thought it was there.

Switzerland is my fault.  I saw the number of guns that they own and didn't realize their population was that high

No I don't use memes as info, that is funny though.

So now that I have been fact checked can you answer my question?

We should ban young men and young boys.  They are the ones doing all the killing.  No woman mass murderers.  We should at least do more studying and figure out "why"

• ^^^

What is your question?

You are making statements. You haven't asked anything.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

When I was in Iraq the locals explained how most of the people owned guns and that Sadam wanted to make it a law.  I thought it was there.

Switzerland is my fault.  I saw the number of guns that they own and didn't realize their population was that high

No I don't use memes as info, that is funny though.

So now that I have been fact checked can you answer my question?

We should ban young men and young boys.  They are the ones doing all the killing.  No woman mass murderers.  We should at least do more studying and figure out "why"

If that's a starting point i agree lets ban any one under 25 form buying assault rifles , vegas though was a middle aged dude ...
    ^^^

What is your question?

Shouldn't we be doing more to figure out "why" these mass murders are mostly being caused by young men and boys?
    edited March 2018
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole gun freak culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29.
    Young man, no?
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    The guy in vegas was older than that too ..
    ^^^

What is your question?

Shouldn't we be doing more to figure out "why" these mass murders are mostly being caused by young men and boys?
     because men are generally more prone to violence.  For reference or detail,  please look up War in your encyclopedia.
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29.
    Young man, no?
    Older than 25. I don't consider someone who is nearly 30 to be a "young man", no. That's full blown adult man, lol. But my point is actually that an age restriction isn't all that helpful if you're thinking about who commits mass murders.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole gun freak culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    The guy in vegas was older than that too ..
    I know there are exceptions where people are older.  Who is going into the schools and shooting them up?

Young men and young boys?  Yes or no?

Let's talk about anything but the guns, right? lol
This discussion has been closed.