What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    riley540 said:
    RiotZact said:
    riley540 said:
    RiotZact said:
    Room 237.  Had good points but mostly came across as Kubrick followers with way to much time on their hands.  
    *raises hand* There is a lot of major stretches in there but even those I find interesting. The moon landing stuff is insane. At the very least he was fucking with people because he knew it was a conspiracy already. There’s no way all that stuff was by accident. 
    Kubrick’s daughter denies everything about the movie Room 237. He spent most of his time at home with his family and never traveled far from home. From movies I watched featuring his family, and closest friends he was a super normal guy, who just made insanely good movies. No fake moon landing, sadly. 
    Mom working hard trying to get 2001 shown on April 3 at a theater in Bellingham for its 50th birthday. I freaking love Kubrick. 
    I saw 2001 in a theater in Pittsburgh a couple of years back, fucking amazing experience! I’m not saying he did the moon landing, but I think he might have been fueling the fire with the rumors that he did it, like he added some of that stuff in there just to fuck with people. Have you seen the new documentary “S is for Stanley”? It’s on Netflix right now, it’s about his personal driver from A Clockwork Orange and on, or more like personal slave. They had a very complex and loving relationship but I certainly wouldn’t call it “normal”. He is quite possibly my favorite creator of entertainment ever, certainly one of the most intelligent creators of entertainment ever. I believe him to be the greatest director ever, and I really don’t think it’s close. 
    I have seen that new film. I love that he put him and his in eyes wide shut. Something nobody would ever notice had they not learned about his assistant. Also loved seeing all the photos for the going away party Stanley threw for him. 

I agree. I love everything from Fear And Desire all the way through eyes wide shut. He explored avenues in film that no other director can. I’ve watched Barry Lyndon a few times this past year. It’s incredible. I’ve never seen another movie like it. It’s this big, pointless story of a man, who we never connect with. It’s incredible, but I have no idea why. I think that’s the definition of a great film. Glad to find another Kubrick fan on here!! 
    I loved seeing those pictures too! I’m pretty sure that documentary instantly tripled the amount of photos that we have from that stage of Kubrick’s life.

Lolita and Barry Lyndon are movies that I really need to rewatch like 3 times each in the span of a week or two. I like them both a lot but not nearly as much as his other post-Spartacus films. I really like your description of Barry Lyndon, spot on. 

RiotZact said:
    riley540 said:
    RiotZact said:
    Room 237.  Had good points but mostly came across as Kubrick followers with way to much time on their hands.  
    *raises hand* There is a lot of major stretches in there but even those I find interesting. The moon landing stuff is insane. At the very least he was fucking with people because he knew it was a conspiracy already. There’s no way all that stuff was by accident. 
    Kubrick’s daughter denies everything about the movie Room 237. He spent most of his time at home with his family and never traveled far from home. From movies I watched featuring his family, and closest friends he was a super normal guy, who just made insanely good movies. No fake moon landing, sadly. 
    Mom working hard trying to get 2001 shown on April 3 at a theater in Bellingham for its 50th birthday. I freaking love Kubrick. 
    I saw 2001 in a theater in Pittsburgh a couple of years back, fucking amazing experience! I’m not saying he did the moon landing, but I think he might have been fueling the fire with the rumors that he did it, like he added some of that stuff in there just to fuck with people. Have you seen the new documentary “S is for Stanley”? It’s on Netflix right now, it’s about his personal driver from A Clockwork Orange and on, or more like personal slave. They had a very complex and loving relationship but I certainly wouldn’t call it “normal”. He is quite possibly my favorite creator of entertainment ever, certainly one of the most intelligent creators of entertainment ever. I believe him to be the greatest director ever, and I really don’t think it’s close. 
    Agreed. Kubrick is an amazing talent.  The scene in Full Metal Jacket between joker and pile is still one of the most intense moments he’s ever made. It’s what makes FMJ top 3 for me....
    The first hour of FMJ is just pure perfection. 
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I think my personal favorite is Clockwork, but it’s hard to rank his films, as they are all incredible in their own ways. Paths Of Glory is one of the most emotional and nail biting movies I have ever watched. The end scene in the bar is one of the most emotional and raw things I’ve ever seen in a movie 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    riley540 said:
    I think my personal favorite is Clockwork, but it’s hard to rank his films, as they are all incredible in their own ways. Paths Of Glory is one of the most emotional and nail biting movies I have ever watched. The end scene in the bar is one of the most emotional and raw things I’ve ever seen in a movie 
    Clockwork is my favorite movie ever for sure, but I understand that it’s not for everyone so I say that 2001 is his greatest achievement. 
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Baby Driver
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Clone Wars
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RiotZact said:
    riley540 said:
    RiotZact said:
    Agreed. Kubrick is an amazing talent.  The scene in Full Metal Jacket between joker and pile is still one of the most intense moments he’s ever made. It’s what makes FMJ top 3 for me....

Gawd I love that movie.

Leonard snapped- I wasn't expecting that at all- although in hindsight it was easy to see.

"A jelly donut?"
    Slap. "What side was that Private Pile?"

I used to record that Sergeant's lines in-between songs on my mixed tapes. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Get Out

i don’t get the hype...it’s trying to be too many things and doesn’t hit it out of the park on any

ending was terrible too
  • 3 billboards.  Not bad.  Not great, but not bad.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    CROJAM95 said:
    Get Out

i don’t get the hype...it’s trying to be too many things and doesn’t hit it out of the park on any

ending was terrible too
    Seems like you saw a different movie than I did.
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    CROJAM95 said:
    Get Out

ending was terrible too
    Get out was fun, but very over rated in my opinion. The critics were extra nice to that and Lady Bird last year for some reason! I liked both, but they are far from perfect. 
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    47 meters down. Open House. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    CROJAM95 said:
    Get Out

ending was terrible too
    The Hype might of ruined it for me. But the ending was weak imo, could have made it better. The way I’ve heard this movie being praised made me feel like an idiot from not checking it out. I watch a bunch of films, the coming attraction for this movie was silly... so I blew it off. It was kinda silly....an Oscar for best director is ridiculous, the acting was good... the story didn’t go anywhere.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    First The Man Who Would Become (Polka) King, which is a documentary about the Polka King of Pennsylvania who got big and was busted for a Ponzi scheme. Very interesting.

Then I watched Netflix's The Polka King, a movie about this story with Jack Black. Enjoyed it! But I highly recommend that people do what I did. Only watch the movie afgernwatching the documentary. If I hadn't watched the documentary first I would have thought the movie was kind of ridiculous and unrealistic. But having learned what it was really like, I knew the movie actually seemed to have captured the whole thing pretty effectively!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Oh, I'd love to see both Polka King movies.  I don't think I knew there were two.

We saw Three Billboards last night and lots of my friends hated it so we figured we'd hate it too.  To our surprise, we liked it a lot.  It was more emotional than I thought it would be and the acting is incredible.  
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Blade Runner 2049.........loved it!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Murder on the Orient Express - visually appealing but a little disappointing when you know the ending going in

Roman J Israel Esquire - Denzel always solid

The Young Offenders - Irish movie about kids going to look for cocaine that washed ashore. Based on a true story, pretty entertaining

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Get Out

ending was terrible too
    The Hype might of ruined it for me. But the ending was weak imo, could have made it better. The way I’ve heard this movie being praised made me feel like an idiot from not checking it out. I watch a bunch of films, the coming attraction for this movie was silly... so I blew it off. It was kinda silly....an Oscar for best director is ridiculous, the acting was good... the story didn’t go anywhere.

I've just watched it too after feeling like I was missing out on something. I did enjoy it, but agree that whilst there was some great potential for the movie, it fell a bit flat at the end. I did think Daniel Kaluuya was very good in it, and was glad to see someone different get nominated for an award outside of the usual genre movies that  get nominated
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    On The Road (2012)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    The Party. Really good. Go see.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    bluegrace said:
    Cillian Murphy!
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    bluegrace said:
    Cillian Murphy!
    Yep! His acting was flawless, just like the other actors.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    going to take my girls to Ferdinand tomorrow. Will report back! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    saw a double feature last night at the local indie theater.

I, Tonya.  I enjoyed it, thought it was well done

Burnt Offerings (1976 cult horror classic).  pretty good horror film considering it when it came out.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    It Comes At Night...........not really a horror movie.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    took my kids to Ferdinand yesterday. meh. the kids liked it, but it was short on laughs for me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    assassins creed for the 3rd time on this cold saturday afternoon, damn good movie.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Blade Runner 2049. It was really good -- although we thought it flagged a bit when Harrison Ford's character appeared.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Jigsaw
    More of the same formula.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Twelve Years a Slave
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Happy Death Day

This was a fun movie.