Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Wait wait wait WAIT!!!  PJ Soul, water is wet????  Now I frickin' find this out???  

That so got buried in the news about JH!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    JH6056 said:
    Wait wait wait WAIT!!!  PJ Soul, water is wet????  Now I frickin' find this out???  

Water isn't always wet, only when the temperature is above freezing.  Otherwise it's a solid :)
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I got into QOTSA after Like Clockwork, almost obsessively.  So I don’t know Josh whole timeline but just going through shit on YouTube I’ve seen him being interviewed by kids, playing a show at a record store with maybe 50 people, just seemed pretty humble.  But he has a song with about 8 different drugs in the lyrics so to say he’s never been under the influence might suggest he’s a poser...but I’m pretty certain he’s not a poser.  Point being...drugs are bad.  Mmmmmmmmmmmkay?
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    edited December 2017
    vaggar99 said:

At least JH never put Future Days or Sleeping By Myself on a QOTSA record.  Bazinga!!  (Obviously a joke).

hey, i like those songs.

might speak more to the weakness of LB than a deficit in my taste.  i also happen to like Speed of Sound and The End.  I've even called a SoS a rebirth of Ed's mid-90's songwriting chops.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Yeah, when is the last time anyone spun Lightning Bolt???? 
  • Yeah, when is the last time anyone spun Lightning Bolt???? 

(day before yesterday)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Ha ha ha !!!!!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Zod said:
    JH6056 said:

Water isn't always wet, only when the temperature is above freezing.  Otherwise it's a solid :)
    Thanks, learning that has made reality a slightly easier pill to swallow today. ;) 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Annoyed that this got them cancelled from appearing on Ellen. It's always nice to get a high quality recording of a live performance.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited January 2018
    Anybody need a pair of great tickets for Eugene, OR on Jan. 27? Row I in the orchestra. I'll be at the Portland show too and can deliver in person. Face value ($142 for the pair).

EODM is opening.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    Tonight's show was awesome!  I'd only seen QoTSA open shows before, never headling one of their own.   They were on fire tonight.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.   Eagles of Death Metal were awesome too.  Great one-two punch.    We don't get many decent arena shows like this in Victoria and crowd definitely appreciated it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    Zod said:
    Tonight's show was awesome!  I'd only seen QoTSA open shows before, never headling one of their own.   They were on fire tonight.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.   Eagles of Death Metal were awesome too.  Great one-two punch.    We don't get many decent arena shows like this in Victoria and crowd definitely appreciated it.
    Awesome! Really looking forward to tomorrow.... Was Victoria sold out, do you know?

They have a bag size restriction for this show, for obvious reasons. Of course I completely understand and respect that, and of course I don't mind given the circumstances, so I'm not complaining in the sense that I'm annoyed they have the restriction...
    ... But it does still suck that I actually had to go out and buy a stupid little purse to meet the requirements. A 12"x8"x3" cross-body purse that isn't heinous is basically impossible to find on such short notice. The nicer smaller ones are all just slightly bigger than that, like 13"x10"x3", or have to be ordered online so I don't have time ... I ended up getting this totally ugly thing from Walmart, lol ... and it still cost $27. What a ripoff. But at least now I have something for any other future shows with a bag restriction... Although I know some US venue have an even smaller requirement. Sucks, lol. I don't have a car, so for me, leaving my stuff in the car isn't an option. I have to carry my shit with me. I think I'm going to have to just ditch my umbrella when I get to the doors too, assuming it's going to pissing rain, since it won't fit in my stupid little bag. :frowning: My one complaint: they really should have informed us of this bag restriction earlier so that ladies could have time to find a bag that works well. I'm going to assume men planned the timing of that announcement, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    Awesome! Really looking forward to tomorrow.... Was Victoria sold out, do you know?

They have a bag size restriction, for obvious reasons. Of course I completely understand and respect that, and of course I don't mind given the circumstances
    ... But it does still suck that I actually had to go out and buy a stupid little purse to meet the requirements. A 12"x8"x3" cross-body purse that isn't completely heinous is almost impossible to find on short notice for a low price. The nicer smaller ones are all just slightly bigger than that, like 13"x10"x3" ... I ended up getting this totally ugly thing from Walmart, lol ... and it still cost $27. What a ripoff. But at least now I have something for any other future shows with a bag restriction... Although I know some US venue have an even smaller requirement. Sucks, lol.
    it's for your own safety, so you can't carry a big camera in with you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

They have a bag size restriction, for obvious reasons. Of course I completely understand and respect that, and of course I don't mind given the circumstances
    ... But it does still suck that I actually had to go out and buy a stupid little purse to meet the requirements. A 12"x8"x3" cross-body purse that isn't completely heinous is almost impossible to find on short notice for a low price. The nicer smaller ones are all just slightly bigger than that, like 13"x10"x3" ... I ended up getting this totally ugly thing from Walmart, lol ... and it still cost $27. What a ripoff. But at least now I have something for any other future shows with a bag restriction... Although I know some US venue have an even smaller requirement. Sucks, lol.
    I'm pretty sure it's because EODM were victims of a massive terrorist attack in Paris so are now super duper careful .... It's not because of the camera. They check all bags at entry anyhow.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

I'm pretty sure it's because EODM were victims of a massive terrorist attack in Paris so are now super duper careful .... It's not because of the camera. They check all bags at entry anyhow.
    it was a joke. And I keep forgetting about EODM. I'm getting Royal Blood as the opener here. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Awesome to see them break out some old tracks on the set list. Jealous that Victoria got "How To Handle a Rope." One of my favorites off the S/T album.
    Looking forward to seeing them a few times over the next couple months.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

I think it was almost sold out.  The last few rows at the very back looked like they were empty. (maybe the last 3 or 4 rows).

Bag Restriction isn't that bad I guess.... unless you need certain supplies, then I imagine it would be annoying.  My wife just put some cash, debit card, and photo id in her pocket.    We ran into the purse thing at CenturyLink Field in Seattle too...  Except they direct you to another line to rent a locker to stash it...
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

I think it was almost sold out.  The last few rows at the very back looked like they were empty. (maybe the last 3 or 4 rows).

Bag Restriction isn't that bad I guess.... unless you need certain supplies, then I imagine it would be annoying.  My wife just put some cash, debit card, and photo id in her pocket.    We ran into the purse thing at CenturyLink Field in Seattle too...  Except they direct you to another line to rent a locker to stash it...
    Yeah, I wish, but I need a bag. I'm going straight from work on transit so will necessarily have more than that with me. Keys and phone, a brush and lip gloss is also a must, lol. If they offered lockers I'd be really happy with that, but of course they don't. I think it should be required that they offer some kind of secure option like that when they won't let you bring anything in.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Has Jesse been drumming with EODM?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    I ended up grabbing a single day pass for Boston Calling on the day QOTSA will be playing. They weren’t enough to draw me to a festival on their own (At least not after having seen them twice last fall) but playing the same day as Jack White? That’s a game changer. Having Royal Blood & St Vincent on the same day is a nice cherry on top. 
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    kasedoug said:
    Awesome to see them break out some old tracks on the set list. Jealous that Victoria got "How To Handle a Rope." One of my favorites off the S/T album.
    Busted out a few more old ones last night.

I'd love to get "Born to Hula" Saturday night.
    #FHP
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Horos said:
    kasedoug said:
    Busted out a few more old ones last night.

I'd love to get "Born to Hula" Saturday night.
    in 2011 when they toured they played their s/t album in its entirety.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

LOVE tonight's poster for their show at Key Arena in Seattle...
    NICE one @bradklausen !!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• derbydave said:

LOVE tonight's poster for their show at Key Arena in Seattle...
    NICE one @bradklausen !!!

I do like that one!
    edited January 2018
     I should have grabbed a Vancouver poster. It honestly didn't even cross my mind at the time. Duh. I never buy posters, but I knew that QOTSA are the kings of great posters, so I should have remembered to make an exception.
    It was a great show! Awesome setlist. Good crowd. I made friends, lol. You know how some crowds are just kind of unfriendly? Not this one. I had a blast just meeting people in the concession line, I hung out with some folks after the show, actually shared a cab to the train station with a bunch of people. I ended up in what was literally the best seat in the building. I am actually glad I traded my GA tix. The area in front of the stage, where I definitely would have been since I was at the front of the line before I made my deal for a seat, was a little too rough for my liking, and I kind of like it a bit rough. I heard there were actually some broken bones and whatnot. I was happy watching from the sidelines this time, lol.
    Poster was pretty cool. It matches up with the Victoria poster to make a complete face, which is kind of fun and also kind of sucky and boring at the same time, lol. I like the Seattle one best, then the Vancouver one, and the Victoria one comes in last.

Victoria:

Vancouver:

edited January 2018
    Oh, there were 3 bad fans there though, lol. These three guys who were right next to me, so they also had the best seats in the house... they were friendly. I chatted with them for quite a while. They were all working on tugboats, like for the season or something like that - sort of like those guys who go and work on a crabbing boat for 3 months and then go home again. So they all came just for something fun to do. They were all relatively young, ranging in age from maybe 20 to 30 or something. They're all from a small town, so I figured they'd enjoy a big show because it's a real novelty to them... Well, I was wrong. The show was rocking, the pit was right in front of us and really fun to watch, the band was on fire, and suddenly they all got up maybe 5 songs into the main set and started to leave. I asked them if they were leaving and one of them just said "This sucks!!". And they walked out. On their scalper-priced tickets. Wtf?! Anyway, I guess they weren't cut out for a big loud rock concert, lol. It was kind of nice to have 4 seats worth of space to rock out in, haha.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PJ_Soul said:
     I should have grabbed a Vancouver poster. It honestly didn't even cross my mind at the time. Duh. I never buy posters, but I knew that QOTSA are the kings of great posters, so I should have remembered to make an exception.
    It was a great show! Awesome setlist. Good crowd. I made friends, lol. You know how some crowds are just kind of unfriendly? Not this one. I had a blast just meeting people in the concession line, I hung out with some folks after the show, actually shared a cab to the train station with a bunch of people. I ended up in what was literally the best seat in the building. I am actually glad I traded my GA tix. The area in front of the stage, where I definitely would have been since I was at the front of the line before I made my deal for a seat, was a little too rough for my liking, and I kind of like it a bit rough. I heard there were actually some broken bones and whatnot. I was happy watching from the sidelines this time, lol.
    Poster was pretty cool. It matches up with the Victoria poster to make a complete face, which is kind of fun and also kind of sucky and boring at the same time, lol. I like the Seattle one best, then the Vancouver one, and the Victoria one comes in last.

Victoria:

Vancouver:

Those are pretty cool...
    I would've picked one up if I had gone to these shows!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    PJ_Soul said:

Victoria:

Vancouver:

I had no trouble picking up a Pittsburgh ap print when they went on sale. I don’t think queens fans are as crazy as PJ fans about that yet. So you’d probably have no trouble if U went that route. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

Those are more expensive though, right? I don't want it that bad, lol. It was just dumb to not grab one for $35 or whatever they were going for while I was there.