NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Georgia football fans are the worst in the SEC. Bama fans don't even compare.
    I'm through with screaming
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited January 2018
    UCF claimed title.  :lol:
    Why shouldn't they? If Alabama and Auburn can claim a shit ton of titles they didn't win, why can't UCF?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Why shouldn't they? If Alabama and Auburn can claim a shit ton of titles they didn't win, why can't UCF?
    They can do anything they like, it is up to them, but they only beat one team that most objective fans would say was a top flight opponent. 
    Hey, props them -- this was the biggest game in their program's history and they rose to the occasion.  Celebrate it.
    You know Auburn was bummed to have blown their shot at the playoff by losing in the SEC Championship.
    Still -- Auburn was a super team this year and UCF beat them in the bowl game.

I am not of the school that any undefeated season = champ.  It is impressive and awfully difficult -- but much easier if you play teams loaded with guys who will never sniff the NFL.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    They can do anything they like, it is up to them, but they only beat one team that most objective fans would say was a top flight opponent. 
    Hey, props them -- this was the biggest game in their program's history and they rose to the occasion.  Celebrate it.
    You know Auburn was bummed to have blown their shot at the playoff by losing in the SEC Championship.

I am not of the school that any undefeated season = champ.  It is impressive and awfully difficult -- but much easier if you play teams loaded with guys who will never sniff the NFL.

I will give them props for beating Auburn. that is always a good thing.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

That's a very unfair and false assessment.  I know it's a different conference than what UCF plays in, but there is some stat with like a crazy percentage of NFL starters coming from the MAC.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    The whole system is so stupid.  Should be an 8 team playoff...conf champions from Power 5 get in with 3 'wild card' bids.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

That's a very unfair and false assessment.  I know it's a different conference than what UCF plays in, but there is some stat with like a crazy percentage of NFL starters coming from the MAC.
    That could be true -- I haven't seen it.  It does cast a wide net and I do not mean to disparage the top players that come out of the American Athletic Conference.  I would not even know where to look to prove it, but if we were to go through and pick the # of players put into the NFL in the last 5 years in the AAC and match it up with any of the Power 5 conferences, I think my point would be supported.
    I could be wrong, though, have not done any research like that. 

A quick google:

From 2015:

By conference

Total players: SEC 309, ACC 239, Big Ten 224, Pac-12 220, Big 12 132, American 98, Mountain West 68, Conference USA 56, MAC 51, Sun Belt 31

Average per school: SEC 22.1, Pac-12 18.3, ACC 17.1, Big Ten 16.0, Big 12 13.2, American 8.2, Mountain West 5.7, Conference USA 4.3, MAC 3.9, Sun Belt 2.8

American had 8, which is much higher than I would have expected.  Good for them.  By comparison, you can see that the SEC has nearly 3 times that many.

How about 2017 Rosters?  I could only see by college, not by conference:

Made me wonder about the top talent -- 1st round draft picks -- found something for overall...since the draft started 82 years ago, by conference:

Granted, these were from quick searches and do not answer specifically what you are referencing....which was Starters on NFL Teams, by Conference.

I was not trying to poop on UCF -- just point out that going undefeated and beating an excellent team in a bowl game doesn't mean you should be the champ.  Who you play & beat during the regular season should weigh heavily, imo.

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    The whole system is so stupid.  Should be an 8 team playoff...conf champions from Power 5 get in with 3 'wild card' bids.  
    Even with this scenario I bet UCF would get left out.  The 5 automatics would be Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and USC.  The 3 wild cards most likely Alabama, Wisconsin, and probably Auburn or Miami.  And in any season where Notre Dame is relevant you can almost guarantee they'll get a wild card.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    Even with this scenario I bet UCF would get left out.  The 5 automatics would be Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and USC.  The 3 wild cards most likely Alabama, Wisconsin, and probably Auburn or Miami.  And in any season where Notre Dame is relevant you can almost guarantee they'll get a wild card.

yep. there is no room at the table for these teams unless they start scheduling Power 5 opponents. at least 1 traditional power each season. and bowl games are too late to count.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:
    KC138045 said:

yep. there is no room at the table for these teams unless they start scheduling Power 5 opponents. at least 1 traditional power each season. and bowl games are too late to count.
    Then "Power 5" teams need to start scheduling them.  This has been an issue for over a decade, like I mentioned before when Utah, Boise, & TCU were on the up & up in smaller conference.  They wanted to schedule Power 5s and no one would take them.  Wonder why??
    And there is room at the table when they continue to consistently beat "Power 5" teams in bowl games for 10 years.

Power 5 teams need to stop being fucking chickens and schedule these guys.
    If they can't compete for a full season, then show us they can't compete.  Because for the last decade or more, they've shown they can compete in almost every opportunity they've been given.  They need more opportunities.
    I think if you look at many Power 5 schools they are working to schedule other, top, Power 5 teams as out of conference opponents.
    There is the huge level of greed to get by with regard to scheduling as well -- nobody wants to give up any home games.

Scheduling is a larger discussion that I don't know enough about to truly speak to....I do know that my team has 2 open dates per year typically -- since they play Notre Dame every year.
    What they try to do (it seems) is schedule one home and home with a good team (Texas this year and next) and one home game with a lower level team (Western Michigan this year and UNLV next.)  This does provide opportunity but I think they insist that it is a one year, @ USC contract to fill.  I suspect the top players out of conference (rightfully) call bullshit on that and would try and demand a home & home.

Again, I know scheduling is complex and that there is a LOT I do not know.  :)
    And...at least USC has never (ever) played a lower division team.  Those should be abolished.  [Although I know when I last posted this thought, there were a number of dissenting posts which made a good case for why these were important.]
    With so few games there is only so much you can do.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    KC138045 said:
    I didn't think Ohio State or Alabama really "deserved" to get in.  Alabama weak resume plus not winning their conference and Ohio States loss to Iowa.  Plus with JT at QB the buckeyes offense was mediocre at best against USC.  The Defense won that game.

Yes I know OSU got in last year without winning the Big 10 but they were #2 two going into the Michigan game and beat OU on the road.  Washington kept PSU out last year not the Buckeyes.

Back to this year I didn't think Alabama looked all that impressive the other night.  It was more how shitty Clemson looked.  Maybe they were the ones that should of been left out.  I know this is lame reasoning but take away the two pics in the 3rd and that was a 10-6 crappy football game.
    Clemsons offense looked like shit because bamas defense kicked the shit out of them. And Clemson forgot to suit up their best player. Deshaun Watson.
    Clemson just played poorly. 
    Watson was definitely a big loss, but they've had great games without him.
    This season seemed like such a roller coaster, from playing at their best to worst. Luckily every time they played this poorly it was against a weak team and they still came out on top.
    They could have won at their best. But consistency was not their friend this year. 
    If they can't compete for a full season, then show us they can't compete.  Because for the last decade or more, they've shown they can compete in almost every opportunity they've been given.  They need more opportunities.

I hear ya on some of that. I went to Troy and I know that Alabama and Auburn don't want to schedule them because of what happened to LSU. but that is in-state schools. I don't think UCF would've had any problems 5 years ago or however long it takes to make the schedule. now, they might. but as for this year... they got no excuse.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

I hear ya on some of that. I went to Troy and I know that Alabama and Auburn don't want to schedule them because of what happened to LSU. but that is in-state schools. I don't think UCF would've had any problems 5 years ago or however long it takes to make the schedule. now, they might. but as for this year... they got no excuse.
    I remember when Troy damn near beat my Noles back in '06.
    edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:

YEP. I really like our coach now but we have always been competitive since joining the BCS in 2002.

recruited a couple great players that fell thru the cracks like Osi Uminyura and Demarcus Ware.

I have a soft spot for the smaller school teams because of attending this school.

i'm not the all big bad Bama bandwagoner like some people think.

ps- still think Bama would trash UCf. :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    And...at least USC has never (ever) played a lower division team.  Those should be abolished.  [Although I know when I last posted this thought, there were a number of dissenting posts which made a good case for why these were important.]
    With so few games there is only so much you can do.
    I agree that Power 5 teams should never schedule a lower division team either. But, looking at it from the lower division schools, it's how they make money. That one game payday is HUGE for those schools. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    lolobugg said:

just when I'm thinking you're OK, you bring up "your" noles of free shoes university.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    So if Alabama beats the #1 ranked Clemson and 3rd ranked Georgia is that enough to get them in the super tournament that starts next week hell have em play football year round. 

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    trump will be at the game, cheering on his buddy nick.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I hope the players kneel and I hope the fans have Roy Moore signs.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Pretty pretty sure that 99.8% of the folks in attendance voted for him. The others are the players family and friends.
    Pretty pretty sure that 99.8% of the folks in attendance voted for him. The others are the players family and friends.
    Is that because of the 2 teams playing or the high ticket prices?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The 2 teams playing
    The 2 teams playing

ignorant statement

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

The 2 teams playing
    :lol:
    I went to a NCAA title game, it was a riot.  USC lost to UCLA to close the season and missed it.  Ended up being OSU vs LSU. 
    (And LSU kicked ass, so all of my buddies from there that we were with before/after the game had a blast)
    lolobugg said:
    The 2 teams playing

ignorant statement
    The Dirty South is so easy to poke fun @ for the rest of us....