The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    Corn and peas are fine frozen, and are the only veggies (well, is corn a veggie? It's a grain, right?) that can be frozen. I would never eat any other frozen veg unless I was starving to death. I also think that canned veggies are vomit-worthy. I wouldn't eat any canned veggies unless I was living in a post-apocalyptic world where all the soil is dead and can't grow things anymore.
    Why would anyone use canned or frozen green beans anyway, when they are readily available fresh all year round? I at least understand canning or freezing peas and corn because of the "format" - most aren't husking their own peas and stripping corn cobs - but why can beans? It's like canning broccoli.
    That's a completely unsustainable food culture!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    You have to be prepared to feed a family.  Prefer fresh but always have reserves in freezer.
    Corn off season tends to be dogshit anyhow.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I am outnumbered here, but I don't care I still think I'm right lol
    I shuck my own peas and I snap my own beans, I milk my own corn and I can them all like my Granny and probably yours too, because that's the best way of preserving the original texture and flavor!
    Store bought isn't the same game, but it aligns in some places.

I'm sad to see the comments about depression, starvation, and apocalypse lol 
    Those comments paired with the arrogance of expecting fresh produce all year speak to a larger problem we have in our food culture.  As a society and species, if we don't recover a more sensible system of production and consumption, we are in big fucking trouble in the future!

Don't worry folks, as serious as my posts seem, I'm not taking any of this too awfully seriously.
    ;)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Don't necessarily disagree.
    Don't necessarily disagree.
    Hell yeah, get your torch, we're a fucking mob now!

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    I shuck my own peas and I snap my own beans, I milk my own corn and I can them all like my Granny and probably yours too, because that's the best way of preserving the original texture and flavor!

Those comments paired with the arrogance of expecting fresh produce all year speak to a larger problem we have in our food culture.  As a society and species, if we don't recover a more sensible system of production and consumption, we are in big fucking trouble in the future!

Don't worry folks, as serious as my posts seem, I'm not taking any of this too awfully seriously.
    ;)
    Why is canning so much better for the world than freezing?
    rgambs said:

;)
    Why is canning so much better for the world than freezing?
    It isn't, probably a bit better though.
    Preserving food and consuming locally though is much better than shipping fresh produce around the world and creating monoculture monstrosities.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I want to go to NYC just to have those Rueben sandwiches from Katz's.
    Life goal.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Life goal.
    katz's is great!  question...what would be some of Australia's signature dishes?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mcgruff10 said:
    Life goal.
    katz's is great!  question...what would be some of Australia's signature dishes?
    I am sitting here on my macbook looking at the Katz's website and getting hungry looking at the food.
    What are some of Australia's signature dishes?

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/australian-food/index.html
    https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/best-of/top-10-iconic-australian-foods-20160125-gm8zqj
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_cuisine
    http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2015/01/the-top-10-most-iconic-australian-foods
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/australias-favourite-dishes/

+ a Kebab after a night out (especially after a lot of drinking)

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Has anyone had success or know how to freeze pomegranates?

I tried last year and ruined them...  

So I tried freezing them whole with water on them, failed.
    Tried cutting them into quarters, failed.
    Put them in whole with no water, failed.

Thanks
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

;)
    gambo, when referring to canned, are you talking about the mason jar type things vs tin-can stuff from the store?

If so, I would imagine the former would be far better than the latter.

(and now I have a craving for canned peaches)
    Fall caprese salad.

cherry tomatoes, garlic, thyme tossed in olive oil and roasted until blistering. Let cool slightly then pour that delicious mixture over torn mozzarella 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited November 2017
    Juggler Chili:
    2 red onions
    2 red bell peppers
    1 yellow bell pepper
    8 garlic cloves
    1 pound ground beef
    About 1/4 cup chili powder
    Heaping tablespoon-isa of ground cumin
    Salt/Pepper/Crushed red pepper--------sautee all this up for about 10 minutes then throw in the crock
    Add in can of small diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, and 2 cans of red kidney beens
    Crock it on high for 6 hours or low for 8......towards the end add ing about a half cup of cut up jalapenos
    Top with a DOLLUP of sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and plenty of scallions.

Then sit back and watch the Eagles destroy the Cowboys.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Some good eats in the past few posts!
    Looks like a good pot of chili Juggalo!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Juggler that looks amazing!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    The next tour's GA tickets should be awarded based on the results of a TenClub chili cook-off!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    They put eggs on pizza in Italy.
    Eggs are always appropriate.
    Soooo, getting into potentially the best six weeks or so of the year for eating.

Thanksgiving with my mom's family, about 30 of us at a big table.  Basically the most stereotypical Thanksgiving ever.  It is amazing.  Though I would argue some more care could be put into the food, but so difficult to cook for that many people. Still, just an amazing day and I can't wait to eat all that goodness.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is about 5-6 weeks of glorious weekend cooking projects filling up the house with delicious smells.  Short ribs, boom.  Lamb shanks, boom.  Roast beef, boom.  Really get into it here.

Christmas eve I have taken to the wife's Italian traditions and I get stuck making cioppino for at least a dozen.  Good god it is expensive but it is so good.  Also, clams and spaghetti, escarole salad, etc.  Glorious.

Christmas day is typically another turkey.  The wife is not a fan since we just had it 6 weeks ago and we have been know to mix it up with a ham and/or beef as well.

New Years eve at the wife's family with my family too.  Lots of picky stuff.  Nothing that stands out too much.  Olives, cheese, dips, etc.

New Year's Mother'fing day!  Chili...Pork..dips...and my family's old Hoppin' John recipe.  Glorious glorious glorious day.  The best day of the year.

Oh and this is my bloody mary run too.  I have fallen out of head over heels love with them, but I'll put back way too many of these over the next month or so. Christmas beers.  Whiskey, lots and lots of whiskey.

What do you guys have going on at this most wonderful time of the year?
    Holiday feasts....gotta love them.
    Tomorrow, I prepare:
    5 pounds, slow cooked, hand-shredded, Orange Pork Shoulder (Butt)
    2 pounds, Carne Asada
    Some Spanish Rice w/saffron
    Black Beans
    Corn & Flour Tortillas (these are store bought, but are of high quality...attempts to make have not yielded desired results yet)
    All of the stuff that normally might join a taco party:
    Onion, Cilantro, Peppers, Avacado, Pico de Gallo, Cojita Cheese, olives
    For the super gringo bastards joining us we will have shredded "taco" cheese mixture and lettuce , along with some hard shell tortillas

This is not a meal to be missed ^^. 

Thursday, I help prepare a pretty traditional T-giving Feast.  NO DARN GBC!
    :)

Roast Turkey
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ridiculous Gravy
    Rolls
    Olives
    Cranberry
    Spinach Cream Cheese dish
    Artichoke Hearts
    Chocolate Cream Pie
    Apple Pie

I think for Friday & Saturday with family we will eat some variation of turkey, steak, pork sandwiches until we tire of them.

Hope everyone has a feast (or two) to look forward to this week!

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Picking up an 18 pound heritage turkey from the farm tomorrow morning!
    Happy Turkey day y'all!
    Tomorrow, I prepare:
    2 pounds, Carne Asada
    Black Beans
    Corn & Flour Tortillas (these are store bought, but are of high quality...attempts to make have not yielded desired results yet)
    For the super gringo bastards joining us we will have shredded "taco" cheese mixture and lettuce , along with some hard shell tortillas

Roast Turkey
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ridiculous Gravy
    Rolls
    Olives
    Cranberry
    Artichoke Hearts
    Chocolate Cream Pie
    Apple Pie

I think for Friday & Saturday with family we will eat some variation of turkey, steak, pork sandwiches until we tire of them.

A taco feast on the Wednesday before thanksgiving sounds odd, but I like odd and it sounds delicious
    Tomorrow, I prepare:
    2 pounds, Carne Asada
    Black Beans

Roast Turkey
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ridiculous Gravy
    Rolls
    Olives
    Cranberry
    Artichoke Hearts
    Chocolate Cream Pie
    Apple Pie

A taco feast on the Wednesday before thanksgiving sounds odd, but I like odd and it sounds delicious
    Yep!  My family (like many) enjoys food and when I come in for a visit they request that I cook at least one big meal.  I sent out some options and got split responses for Carne Asada Tacos and 'A Pork Dish' -- so I combined the requests.
    I wanted to do ribs for Christmas but the family overruled and decided ham.  
    Maybe I should spring for a Honeybaked Ham Co ham, that would kick it up a notch.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Are the polls still open?

frozen > canned
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Holy shit, Cliffy.

F Me, I shall think of you while shoveling in glorious forkfuls of GBC on Thursday =)
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Forkfuls of poop make you think of Fme?

Makes sense.