Kaepernick

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    I think there should be a different protest demonstration every week at these sporitng events.  Let's get all sports involved.  I don't want the NBA to feel like they are left out.  Baseball, Rodeos, Ice boating all of it.
     I think this coming weekend, all the players should step out of the players line and instead of kneeling, they should do the Michael Jackson Moonwalk.  Might be hard to do with cleats on,, so they should all take off and throw their shoes at somebody, and then do some Moonwalking during the anthem.  Maybe spin around 3 times fast at the end, and try to land on their tippy toes.  It would be awesome.
    Next week, step out and do some sort of shake your booty dance for those two minutes.  Mix it up a bit, make it interesting.  Highlight what ever, or whoever you want to protest this week, and have at it.  Dance my brothers and sisters, during the anthem, at funerals, it doesn't matter.
    Its what ever you want, where ever you want, and how ever you want.  If we can't have a little fun in these troubled times, all is lost.
    this is making fun of the protests. 
    Yeah, the protests, linking arms whatever.
    Not the oppressed, and not those indiscriminately killed by cops.
    The American flag is physically is a piece of cloth or fabric.  What they are all angry about is totally legit.
    The American flag , and the United States of America does not represent, condone, stand for, or support oppression.  There are bad apples among us.  But that's not who it represents.  That's my beef with the whole thing.
    I'm done.

you can't make fun of the protests and claim to not be making fun of the protesters and what they are protesting against. 

the US absolutely condones it. that's why it is still happening. 

the US is not alone. Canada continues to do the same thing to its indigenous peoples. if there were more aboriginals in sports in Canada, I have no doubt something similar would be happening here. as it should. 
    I beg the differ sir.
      Yes I can support the cause, yet be against the demonstrations.
    You just don't get my logic, probably never will.. 
     I support Colin Kaepernick in what he was originally fighting against and what he was protesting against.  (Minority oppression, &  Indiscriminate police shootings.)
    I am angry at the way in which he & a few others chose to protest by shitting on the flag/anthem in a grandstanding look at me way, It's all about getting the cameras on me mentality before the football games. .
    Now it's expanded to linking arms and raising fists largely at Trump.
    I say fine, protest Trump if you want to.  More power to you.
    Find another vehicle to do it in.
    Not pissing on the anthem/flag before every game.

I'm guessing you viewed this as a look at me and attention getting as well?

Your flag doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. That's a personal issue.

Well said, T, that's a good example of not a "look at me moment".  I remember seeing those guys do that- I think it was live on TV.  It was a fucking powerful moment that was not at all about those individuals but rather about a lifting up a beleaguered people, saluting a just cause, helping to motivate a worthy movement. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    Ya-ta-hey, Hasteen, (greetings)
    Maybe indigenous people would be a great topic on it's own.  I'm putting this here because it was being talked about.
    I worked at the Grand Canyon in 99 guiding mule rides for a spring, summer, and fall job.  Grand Canyon North Rim to be specific, Bryce Canyon, and Zion Canyons in Utah too.  But anyway at the Grand Canyon, there is an employee bar EDR they called it, and then the Main Lodge for the tourists bar/restruant much more expensive full price & fancy everything.  I was one of the guides who took people for rides down & up the canyon on Mules, but there was all the other employees associated with the place.  Cook's waitresses housekeeping Etc.  One night at the EDR Employee Dining Room/Bar,  Much cheeper for employees and away from the Lodge.
    I met and became friends with a few Navajo people who were working there.  We shot a few games of pool, having a good time, drinking and hanging out.
    I asked them one day, what they prefer to be called. They responded to me,
    (*Dine' ) is what the Navajos call themselves; it means "The People."
    I hung out with them a lot after work that summer.
    They have their own silent protest going on.  One night  I was buying a round, paying with a $20.  Nick (his name was) said to me "Why do you carry around those $20.00 bills?  "Do you not know what Andrew Jackson did to my people?" he asked.  At the time I was short on history, and said "no" I did not know and he explained to me.  So to this day, I don't go out of my way, but for him and all of them I usually trade my $20.00 bills for 2 $10s or 4 $5s any chance I can.  So I'm not against protesting.  
    These people are great.  We had some good times. ;)
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    A silent and invisible protest is a useless one. You are neglecting the purpose of a protest, which is to drive change. What changed by you and the Navajo trading $20 bills for another denomination?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    Maybe indigenous people would be a great topic on it's own.  I'm putting this here because it was being talked about.
    I worked at the Grand Canyon in 99 guiding mule rides for a spring, summer, and fall job.  Grand Canyon North Rim to be specific, Bryce Canyon, and Zion Canyons in Utah too.  But anyway at the Grand Canyon, there is an employee bar EDR they called it, and then the Main Lodge for the tourists bar/restruant much more expensive full price & fancy everything.  I was one of the guides who took people for rides down & up the canyon on Mules, but there was all the other employees associated with the place.  Cook's waitresses housekeeping Etc.  One night at the EDR Employee Dining Room/Bar,  Much cheeper for employees and away from the Lodge.
    I met and became friends with a few Navajo people who were working there.  We shot a few games of pool, having a good time, drinking and hanging out.
    They have their own silent protest going on.  One night  I was buying a round, paying with a $20.  Nick (his name was) said to me "Why do you carry around those $20.00 bills?  "Do you not know what Andrew Jackson did to my people?" he asked.  At the time I was short on history, and said "no" I did not know and he explained to me.  So to this day, I don't go out of my way, but for him and all of them I usually trade my $20.00 bills for 2 $10s or 4 $5s any chance I can.  So I'm not against protesting.  
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    A silent and invisible protest is a useless one. You are neglecting the purpose of a protest, which is to drive change. What changed by you and the Navajo trading $20 bills for another denomination?
    Feels like I'm pissing into a gale force wind here.  Conservative/Independent vs 99% liberal progressives not a good place to be.
    It's been fun.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    And that’s all you got out of that story? I’m kinda surprised you would critique their choice of protest.

anhyhow - I found the story interesting. Thanks for sharing.

hippiemom = goodness
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    RYME said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    Feels like I'm pissing into a gale force wind here.  Conservative/Independent vs 99% liberal progressives not a good place to be.
    It's been fun.
    You used this story as evidence that you support protest. You’ve only shown that you support protest that doesn’t offend your personal sensibilities, and/or is done in ineffective ways. Pardon me for not admiring your courage and effort.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Thanks, Cincy.  Good article.

One of our greatest failures as a nation--  indigenous people's lands, culture, language, freedom, all of it were stripped away-- and even worse, some tribes were nearly completely wiped out-- they were marched off to reservations and yet this still happens:

"Some insult or degradation of tribal property rights or tribal environmental interests are happening on an ongoing basis."

I'll never understand that.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I had to laugh this morning at the gym when I saw Fox and Friends show a picture of Browns stadium with the caption "NFL stadiums empty amid protests"

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    \
    rgambs said:
    I had to laugh this morning at the gym when I saw Fox and Friends show a picture of Browns stadium with the caption "NFL stadiums empty amid protests"

It is a protest against shitty Quarterback selections ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    \
    rgambs said:

On another TV around the same time: Joe Thomas had a streak of 10,000+ snaps.
    Impressive!
    20 different starting QB's he snapped for during that streak.
    Not so impressive lol
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited October 2017
    rgambs said:
    \
    rgambs said:

On another TV around the same time: Joe Thomas had a streak of 10,000+ snaps.
    Impressive!
    20 different starting QB's he snapped for during that streak.
    Not so impressive lol
    and they traded  the #2 pick which was Carson Wentz to my Eagles because they didn't think he was worthy of a top 20 pick let alone #2. thanks you Cleveland
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    I think there should be a different protest demonstration every week at these sporitng events.  Let's get all sports involved.  I don't want the NBA to feel like they are left out.  Baseball, Rodeos, Ice boating all of it.
     I think this coming weekend, all the players should step out of the players line and instead of kneeling, they should do the Michael Jackson Moonwalk.  Might be hard to do with cleats on,, so they should all take off and throw their shoes at somebody, and then do some Moonwalking during the anthem.  Maybe spin around 3 times fast at the end, and try to land on their tippy toes.  It would be awesome.
    Next week, step out and do some sort of shake your booty dance for those two minutes.  Mix it up a bit, make it interesting.  Highlight what ever, or whoever you want to protest this week, and have at it.  Dance my brothers and sisters, during the anthem, at funerals, it doesn't matter.
    Its what ever you want, where ever you want, and how ever you want.  If we can't have a little fun in these troubled times, all is lost.
    this is making fun of the protests. 
    Yeah, the protests, linking arms whatever.
    Not the oppressed, and not those indiscriminately killed by cops.
    The American flag is physically is a piece of cloth or fabric.  What they are all angry about is totally legit.
    The American flag , and the United States of America does not represent, condone, stand for, or support oppression.  There are bad apples among us.  But that's not who it represents.  That's my beef with the whole thing.
    I'm done.

you can't make fun of the protests and claim to not be making fun of the protesters and what they are protesting against. 

the US absolutely condones it. that's why it is still happening. 

the US is not alone. Canada continues to do the same thing to its indigenous peoples. if there were more aboriginals in sports in Canada, I have no doubt something similar would be happening here. as it should. 
    I beg the differ sir.
      Yes I can support the cause, yet be against the demonstrations.
    You just don't get my logic, probably never will.. 
     I support Colin Kaepernick in what he was originally fighting against and what he was protesting against.  (Minority oppression, &  Indiscriminate police shootings.)
    I am angry at the way in which he & a few others chose to protest by shitting on the flag/anthem in a grandstanding look at me way, It's all about getting the cameras on me mentality before the football games. .
    Now it's expanded to linking arms and raising fists largely at Trump.
    I say fine, protest Trump if you want to.  More power to you.
    Find another vehicle to do it in.
    Not pissing on the anthem/flag before every game.

shitting on the flag. you are right, when I read army vets saying they sacrificed their lives/well-being so Colin could do that, and that they completely agree with his right to do it, whether they believe in his message or not, yeah, I guess I don't get your "logic". 

people still don't get it. they aren't protesting trump. they are protesting a powerful white man, ANY POWERFUL WHITE MAN, telling a black man what he can and cannot do. they are sending a message not to trump, but to america, that they will not stand for that type of oppression, whether it comes from the police force, a small ice cream shop in Mississippi, or the office of the president. 

I always love the "grandstanding" comments. jesus, what do you want him to do? NOT use the tools available to him to bring his message to the masses? thinking he's doing this for himself (is donating millions to inner cities something you consider selfish?), you have obviously missed the entire point. 

I guess you want him to kneel in the locker room before/after the game where no one will see him?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    It's been fun.
    yeah, once again, "when I can't defend my argument, I complain I'm being piled on by liberals and leave". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

benjs said:
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    And that’s all you got out of that story? I’m kinda surprised you would critique their choice of protest.

anhyhow - I found the story interesting. Thanks for sharing.

no, but what benjs says is accurate: that type of protest is useless if you're interested in bringing the message to the masses. if that's not their intent, their form of protest is fine. which really isn't a protest, more of a personal philosophy. kaepernick's protest is meant to be seen by as many people as possible. he wants black people to know that he's got their back, even though he's a millionaire. if no one sees him, no one gets his message. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    RYME said:
    benjs said:
    RYME said:
     Fair enough
    ha`goo`nee`. 
    It's been fun.
    What's pissing into a gale force wind is trying to make a statement about atrocities committed by your government against First Nations by breaking your $20 bills, lol. I've honestly never heard of such a useless "protest" in my entire life.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited October 2017
    Well first of all I'm not talking about Kaepernick right now. I was 21 years old when I met these two guys at the Grand Canyon Nick and Noel their names are.
    ( 2 Navajos) working in the groundskeeping department at the Grand Canyon while I was there.
    So I didn't know much history about Andrew Jackson at the time, in grade school and high school the name was never brought up just broad brush history in general. So I'm getting these guys a drink paying with a $20.00 and they educated me right then and there about the guy on the $20 bill. And why they refused to carry $20 bills around so they don't have to see the sob picture in their pocket. That was my first good history lesson. So I followed suit and I try not to carry twenty's around if you go to the ATM that's all it spits out so you can't break them all. So here you are telling me that this is a b******* way to protest alright. I guess I should go out in traffic and stop traffic and start screaming about Andrew Jackson's atrocities no, this is just anecdotal story that I decide to share and people spin it around like I'm wasting my time busting up $20 bills.
    Read this about Andrew Jackson. And you'll see why the Native Americans Indians hate him.  I would assume African Americans don't like him either.
    Get back to me again and how silly this little protest is after you read this.
    https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/history/people/indian-killer-andrew-jackson-deserves-top-spot-on-list-of-worst-us-presidents/

Post edited by RYME on
    you are confusing criticizing the idea with criticizing the execution.

the idea isn't silly. no one said that. the only thing silly in your/their protest is its execution. it's useless, in that it will never gain any traction. I'll say it again: I wouldn't even call it a protest, more of personal philosophy. 

now, if these navajos decided to protest at an Andrew Jackson memorial, or statue, or something of the like, or try to get some person of influence on board and start a viral campaign, I'd be with you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017

the idea isn't silly. no one said that. the only thing silly in your/their protest is its execution. it's useless, in that it will never gain any traction. I'll say it again: I wouldn't even call it a protest, more of personal philosophy. 

now, if these navajos decided to protest at an Andrew Jackson memorial, or statue, or something of the like, or try to get some person of influence on board and start a viral campaign, I'd be with you. 

Well you're right.  Protest is the wrong word.  I guess you can't really protest something that happened at 200 years ago.  Breaking up $20.00 bills is the most useless protest PJ Soul has ever heard of.  Well tell that to the many many Native Americans who do this.  The $20bill boycott by Native Americans is more widespread than these two people  I met, that's just where I learned about it. That's not to say all Native Americans get rid of their twenties.
    Nothing anybody does now will drive change to what that man did.
    I think they are more about not forgetting the history of this wealthy slave owner founder of the Democratic Party Indian Killer Sharp Knife.  The guy was brutal.
    Read it.
    https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/history/people/indian-killer-andrew-jackson-deserves-top-spot-on-list-of-worst-us-presidents/
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited October 2017
    And this
    About the Cherokees hatred of the portrait on the $20 bill advocating that it get replaced.
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/nation/2016/04/24/american-indians-even-use-bills/83482300/
    Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:

Well you're right.  Protest is the wrong word.  I guess you can't really protest something that happened at 200 years ago.  Breaking up $20.00 bills is the most useless protest PJ Soul has ever heard of.  Well tell that to the many many Native Americans who do this.  The $20bill boycott by Native Americans is more widespread than these two people  I met, that's just where I learned about it. That's not to say all Native Americans get rid of their twenties.
    I think they are more about not forgetting the history of this wealthy slave owner founder of the Democratic Party Indian Killer Sharp Knife.  The guy was brutal.
    Read it.
    you can protest anything you want. there's no statute of limitations on that, especially if the focus is to drive some change or awareness that may lead to change. if there is no drive for change, then no, it's not a protest, which is why pj soul called it "useless". if you agree it's not really a protest, why are you obviously annoyed that someone called it a useless protest? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Kaepernick is not protesting about the wrongs the First Nations people suffered at the hands of white folks.  I think that is likely a topic for a different thread. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited October 2017
    RYME said:

Read it.
    you can protest anything you want. there's no statute of limitations on that, especially if the focus is to drive some change or awareness that may lead to change. if there is no drive for change, then no, it's not a protest, which is why pj soul called it "useless". if you agree it's not really a protest, why are you obviously annoyed that someone called it a useless protest? 
    The $20 bill protest/non protest took a long time.  Call it what you want but it did finally work as in 2016 they decided to put Harriet Tubman on new 20s but they won't be widely circulating for a while.
    http://time.com/money/4303112/harriet-tubman-20-bill-when-available/
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    The $20 bill protest/non protest took a long time.  Call it what you want but it did finally work as in 2016 they decided to put Harriet Tubman on new 20s but they won't be widely circulating for a while.
    No, sorry, that "protest" of breaking 20's didn't work at all. That particular "protest" had nothing to do with them changing the $20 bill.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    No, sorry, that "protest" of breaking 20's didn't work at all. That particular "protest" had nothing to do with them changing the $20 bill.
    You are good at picking things apart.  Native Americans were upset at the $20 long before it gained attention recently.
    You tell the many Native Americans who chose to boycott the 20 that they didn't count because they didn't protest hard enough or loud enough.
    edited October 2017
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    You are good at picking things apart.  Native Americans were upset at the $20 long before it gained attention recently.
    You tell the many Native Americans who chose to boycott the 20 that they didn't count because they didn't protest hard enough or loud enough.
    Well I won't tell them that because I don't think that. They did protest hard and loud enough. I am talking about your own story about breaking $20 bills.
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    Well I won't tell them that because I don't think that. They did protest hard and loud enough. I am talking about your own story about breaking $20 bills.
    I was doing what they were doing, because I agreed.  They still do this.
    Did you expect me to go out and disrupt society over this?
    edited October 2017
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    Did you expect me to go out and disrupt society over this?  What public protest have you engaged in that resulted in big results? Since you are a professional protester.  Slap a bunch of bumper stickers on your car?

Post edited by RYME on
    edited October 2017
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    Do you really think there's anything else that creates change?

It gives the impression that you don't actually support protest when you say things like that.
    Silent protest isn't protest, it's just stubbornness.
    Do you at least tell the cashiers why you break 20$ sometimes?
    edited October 2017
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Read it.
    I expect anyone who really cares about an issue that needs to be addressed by the government to disrupt society over it, actually. Protest actually must be disruptive in some way or another to be effective. But no, I don't expect you in particular to do anything. Do what you want. What you don't seem to be getting is that I'm responding to your post about this. You seem to think that this act itself is the protest. It is not. It is a personal symbolic act representing the issue behind actual protests that have and do happen in the name of First Nations rights (see Standing Rock). In other words, I am disagreeing with your idea that a completely silent and personal act that nobody even knows about is protest in and of itself. I think you have misinterpreted this act that those people showed you. That, or they are also not understanding the difference between personal symbolism and protest.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited October 2017
    Do you at least tell the cashiers why you break 20$ sometimes?
    No I don't tell the cashier's why unless they ask which happened twice and I did explain briefly and they looked at me all baffled..  And you have to be paying in $50s or $100s to get $20 change, so doesn't happen often.  Use plastic card all the time now anyway. I pretty much don't worry about it anymore.  So you are correct I was wasting my time with that.    I'm a weak protester I guess, I do/did it for my friends and the genocide that Andrew Jackson presided over.. I've answered your questions, now you answer mine. What public protests have you engaged in to spearhead change that resulted in big change?
    Bumper sticker politics?  Do you wear a t-shirt that says something on it? What what tell me what you do so I can learn from the best.
    It's funny, you started off today by saying it was the silliest most ineffective protest you could think of.
    Then I told you to take it up with the Native Americans who do that.  And then you spin it back about my inabilities.  I'm wasting my time with this.
    I hope you were typing from a room that is well lit, and ventilated
    https://youtu.be/-c-pm_6kvyU

https://youtu.be/ur07OFbHs9c
    Post edited by RYME on