1235»

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

Didn't the Pats go 4-1 without Brady this season? Hmmm.

3-1 but that is very telling.

In 2013 Rodgers missed 7 games, during which the team went 2-4-1. They ended up winning the division that year.
    What about here...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320101009

Kind of telling how well the Pack click on offense when they sit Rodgers for Matt Flynn.

In Aaron Rodgers starting career, in the games he hasn't played (or was injured for the majority of) the Packers are 2-7-1.

So you say above Rodgers-less Pack went 2-4-1 in 2013 and then after I show you the game where Matt Flynn showed Wisconsin how quarterbacking is done in the 2011 season, you come back with Pack is 2-7-1 when Rodgers sits.

3-6-1, not much better. 30% Win Percentage for the Packers when Rodgers isn't playing, compared to a 70% Win Percentage for the Patriots when Brady isn't playing.
    Poncier said:

OK, saying Rodgers is the greatest QB of all time is fairly laughable, but Stave Carlton as the greatest baseball player. Dude, you're smoking something.

In 1971 the Phillies won 67 games, Steve Carlton had 20 wins that year.
    In 1972 the Phillies won 59 games, Steve Carlton had 27 wins that year. (also 310 strikeouts and a 1.97 ERA.)
    He had 6 20-win seasons in his career, and for the most part played on a really bad team

Bobby Abreu is also up there. Look at these OBPs over the years, so underrated: http://m.mlb.com/player/110029/bobby-abreu .
    Carlton also had a 20 loss and a 19 loss season.

Bobby Abreu in the conversation for greatest MLB player of all time? Now you're just trolling.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    el gato?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2017
    Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

In 2013 Rodgers missed 7 games, during which the team went 2-4-1. They ended up winning the division that year.
    What about here...

Kind of telling how well the Pack click on offense when they sit Rodgers for Matt Flynn.

In Aaron Rodgers starting career, in the games he hasn't played (or was injured for the majority of) the Packers are 2-7-1.

So you say above Rodgers-less Pack went 2-4-1 in 2013 and then after I show you the game where Matt Flynn showed Wisconsin how quarterbacking is done in the 2011 season, you come back with Pack is 2-7-1 when Rodgers sits.

3-6-1, not much better. 30% Win Percentage for the Packers when Rodgers isn't playing, compared to a 70% Win Percentage for the Patriots when Brady isn't playing.
    Poncier said:

OK, saying Rodgers is the greatest QB of all time is fairly laughable, but Stave Carlton as the greatest baseball player. Dude, you're smoking something.

In 1972 the Phillies won 59 games, Steve Carlton had 27 wins that year. (also 310 strikeouts and a 1.97 ERA.)
    He had 6 20-win seasons in his career, and for the most part played on a really bad team

Bobby Abreu is also up there. Look at these OBPs over the years, so underrated: http://m.mlb.com/player/110029/bobby-abreu .

Bobby Abreu in the conversation for greatest MLB player of all time? Now you're just trolling.
    maybe not the greatest, but most underappreciated I don't think it's even close. Abreu was absolutely amazing for years and nobody really noticed because, for the most part, what he did wasn't very flashy. When my future kids are about to play little league, I'm going to show them Bobby Abreu highlights. He played the game so incredibly intelligently, especially at the plate.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Yes
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    youngster said:

Yes

Note the location.... ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • youngster said:

Yes

And also note the perfect response ;)
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• We're stuck with the acronym "G.O.A.T." for the rest of our lives aren't we? Damn. The only thing I hate more in sports talk is "-gate" as a suffix for controversy (Spygate, Delategate, etc.). God help me if there's ever a Goatgate.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JimmyV said:

MLB: Babe Ruth
    NBA: Jordan or Russell
    NHL: Gretzky or Orr
    SNL: Dana Carvey
    WWE: Hogan or Cena
    WCW: Ric Flair
    NBC: Bob Costas
    ESPN: Chris Berman
    MNF: Howard Cosell
    DEM: Franklin Roosevelt
    GOP: Abraham Lincoln

Hogan's the greatest in WCW too. Not Flair.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited February 2017

JimmyV said:

MLB: Babe Ruth
    NBA: Jordan or Russell
    NHL: Gretzky or Orr
    SNL: Dana Carvey
    WWE: Hogan or Cena
    WCW: Ric Flair
    NBC: Bob Costas
    ESPN: Chris Berman
    MNF: Howard Cosell
    DEM: Franklin Roosevelt
    GOP: Abraham Lincoln

Thunderlips' the greatest in WCW too. Not Flair.
    ftfy
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

We're stuck with the acronym "G.O.A.T." for the rest of our lives aren't we? Damn. The only thing I hate more in sports talk is "-gate" as a suffix for controversy (Spygate, Delategate, etc.). God help me if there's ever a Goatgate.

"Nation" is another one I can't stand. Every damn fan base these days collectively refers to themselves as "nickname nation."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I always thought Anthony Mason should be in the discussion for greatest NBA player. Very underrated.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Draft class or Era I can see. While the basics are the same the game is different than say 10 or 20 years ago. But football is a team sport so........ he didnt get here by himself.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

We're stuck with the acronym "G.O.A.T." for the rest of our lives aren't we? Damn. The only thing I hate more in sports talk is "-gate" as a suffix for controversy (Spygate, Delategate, etc.). God help me if there's ever a Goatgate.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I mean, "gate" was just the third syllable in the name of the hotel. it's not like a verb or anything. it really, when you break it down, doesn't make a lick of sense to refer to any controversy with "-gate" at the end. I mean, Watergate wasn't "water controversy". If it had happened at the Holiday Inn, would it have been "Deflate-Inn"?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mickeyrat said:

Draft class or Era I can see. While the basics are the same the game is different than say 10 or 20 years ago. But football is a team sport so........ he didnt get here by himself.

True, but nobody does.

The more I think about it the more I come back to Dan Marino and the things he did in a time when it wasn't nearly as easy to throw as it is today. If he played in this era I'm not sure any passing record would be in reach.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited February 2017
    ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

Poncier said:

ehbacon said:

What about here...

Poncier said:

maybe not the greatest, but most underappreciated I don't think it's even close. Abreu was absolutely amazing for years and nobody really noticed because, for the most part, what he did wasn't very flashy. When my future kids are about to play little league, I'm going to show them Bobby Abreu highlights. He played the game so incredibly intelligently, especially at the plate.
    Bobby Abreu was one of the biggest dogs, if not the biggest dog ever to play for the Phillies. I don't a f--- what his sabermetric stats were. he sucked and was a dog. do you know he told manager Larry Bowa that he wouldn't lead off? yea that guy. screw him. one of my all time most hated Phillie players. he sucked i tell ya. sucked.
    edited February 2017
    One of my all time favorite players :)

Source for the Bowa thing? Never heard of it and Google hadn't either
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    bartolo colon's somewhat slimmer brother?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    ehbacon said:

Heard Bowa mention it in an interview one time.

and Gretzky is the greatest of all time in any sport. Do you realize that Sidney Crosby just became the fastest player in games played to get to 1000 career points...and he would have to average more points per game for the next 15 straight years to surpass Gretzky in points. incredible.
  • pjhawks said:

ehbacon said:

and Gretzky is the greatest of all time in any sport. Do you realize that Sidney Crosby just became the fastest player in games played to get to 1000 career points...and he would have to average more points per game for the next 15 straight years to surpass Gretzky in points. incredible.
    It is crazy but hard to compare eras sometimes. Scoring is down @35% from that era so that is a factor as well when comparing stats.

Also,
    http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/wayne-gretzky-was-great-but-bobby-orr-is-the-greatest-steve-simmons-ranks-the-nhls-100-best-players

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

edited February 2017

pjhawks said:

ehbacon said:

It is crazy but hard to compare eras sometimes. Scoring is down @35% from that era so that is a factor as well when comparing stats.

Also,
    http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/wayne-gretzky-was-great-but-bobby-orr-is-the-greatest-steve-simmons-ranks-the-nhls-100-best-players

maybe but Mark Messier is 3rd all time in points, and was 2nd until last year, and he played in the same era and a few extra years than Wayne and still is almost a thousand points behind Wayne.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    He may be the GOAT, but his SB record is still 5 - Giants.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

ehbacon said:

Also,

maybe but Mark Messier is 3rd all time in points, and was 2nd until last year, and he played in the same era and a few extra years than Wayne and still is almost a thousand points behind Wayne.
    I saw Bobby Orr play, but , to me anyway, Gretzky is in a class all by himself.

How does this guy have Mark Messier 15th? The best 2-way player i've seen. Plus a GREAT leader who could beat you in every aspect of the game: scoring, defending, checking, intimidation, and dropped the gloves and beat your ass if needed too.
    pjhawks said:

ehbacon said:

That's not sketchy at all :tongue:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    cutz said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

ehbacon said:

Also,

I saw Bobby Orr play, but , to me anyway, Gretzky is in a class all by himself.

How does this guy have Mark Messier 15th? The best 2-way player i've seen. Plus a GREAT leader who could beat you in every aspect of the game: scoring, defending, checking, intimidation, and dropped the gloves and beat your ass if needed too.
    I stopped reading at Lemieux being #3. And he has Crosby and Ovechkin both ahead of Jagr. Dude's fucking clueless.
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Aaron would like it too.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Oh no Aaron is now upset about his contract.
    See Brady knows that you don't have to be paid the highest to be the greatest.