Text of Muslim Ban Executive Order in a few posts

Comments

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    My daughter told me last night that her jr high school band is supposed to go to DC (from Canada) for some event....one of the students in the band has a Sudanese passport, and now can't go....what total horseshit.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited February 2017

My daughter told me last night that her jr high school band is supposed to go to DC (from Canada) for some event....one of the students in the band has a Sudanese passport, and now can't go....what total horseshit.

What instrument does he/she play? Depending on the answer, he/she may be a terrorist.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

There are exceptions that can be requested.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:

It is a ban from seven countries, not based on religion. There are also exceptions for certain individuals.

It is not the first time this has been done. It is just the first time that anyone here has cared about it.

again, you are wrong. Rudy Giuliani, the architect of this ban, went on record on VIDEO stating Trump asked him point blank how to legally ban muslims from entering the US. You simply cannot dispute that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

you are becoming a real trumpologist lately.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

Whatever. I am noting facts, unlike many in this thread.

unsung said:

It is a ban from seven countries, not based on religion. There are also exceptions for certain individuals.

It is not the first time this has been done. It is just the first time that anyone here has cared about it.

again, you are wrong. Rudy Giuliani, the architect of this ban, went on record on VIDEO stating Trump asked him point blank how to legally ban muslims from entering the US. You simply cannot dispute that.
    I can if it is all people, minus the exceptions, from these countries. It is a pretty simple concept.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Whatever. I am noting facts, unlike many in this thread.
    No one said it's not a fact. It's apologist.
    edited February 2017
    So are you telling me when a person tries to board a flight or go through customs they are not asked for a passport but instead what religion they are?
    unsung said:

So are you telling me when a person tries to board a flight or go through customs they are not asked for a passport but instead what religion they are?

the intent behind it is clear, and has been stated by the person who constructed the ban. FACT.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2017

unsung said:

the intent behind it is clear, and has been stated by the person who constructed the ban. FACT.
    You didn't answer the question.

If the people are being asked their religion it is an issue. But if their passports are the deciding document then there is not.

Post edited by unsung on
    unsung said:

unsung said:

You didn't answer the question.

If the people are being asked their religion it is an issue. But if their passports are the deciding document then there is not.

it's the wrong question. during the ban, NO ONE was being permitted to board a flight from any of those countries. the people being detained who were already en route were asked their religion, and their thoughts on Trump as president.

and, the ban document reads that exceptions will be made for those being persecuted for their religion, but ONLY IF THEIR RELIGION IS A MINORITY IN THEIR REGION. what do you think that means? that means no exceptions will be made for muslims, only christians.

come on, man, you can't seriously believe this shit the right is feeding you?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Right is feeding me? Sorry bud, I don't watch TV.

I fully support a ban, based on home country. It is long overdue and hasn't gone far enough.

But I am also the guy that would eliminate all foreign aid and bring our troops home. All of them.
    unsung said:

Right is feeding me? Sorry bud, I don't watch TV.

I fully support a ban, based on home country. It is long overdue and hasn't gone far enough.

But I am also the guy that would eliminate all foreign aid and bring our troops home. All of them.

I see you didn't address any of the other content that proved you were incorrect.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2017
    We've been down this path. I don't care what Rudy 9/11 says or thinks. It won't matter in court.

unsung said:

We've been down this path. I don't care what Rudy 9/11 says or thinks. It won't matter in court.

What trump has said will absolutely be a factor in court.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

unsung said:

What trump has said will absolutely be a factor in court.
    fact.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    We will see.
    unsung said:

We will see.

we can agree on that much at least. time will tell. no one person is above the law.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Last weeks episode of This American Life is pretty heartbreaking.

This week we document what happened when the President’s executive order went into effect temporarily banning travel from seven countries, and we talk about the way it was implemented. A major policy change thrown into the world like a fastball with no warning. It’s hard not to ask: “What just happened? What was that all about?”

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/609/it’s-working-out-very-nicely
    unsung said:

I know the facts are inconvenient to your opinion.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

We will see.

If/when they argue as to whether the EO is constitutional or not, an AG will argue that discriminating based on religion is unconstitutional.

unsung said:

We will see.

If/when they argue as to whether the EO is constitutional or not, an AG will argue that discriminating based on religion is unconstitutional.
    Bingo.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

unsung said:

We will see.

Well maybe they can revise it to include SA and other terrorist breeding grounds. Up the count to 40 or so.
    Great news

9th Circuit rules against reinstating travel ban

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/09/politics/travel-ban-9th-circuit-ruling/index.html?adkey=bn
    dignin said:
    awesome news
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    On the ACLU WA (@ACLU_WA) Twitter feed one post (6:28 pm (EST), 09 Feb 17) includes the write-up of the decision. Its an interesting read. I skimmed it because of all the previous case listings.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

On the ACLU WA (@ACLU_WA) Twitter feed one post (6:28 pm (EST), 09 Feb 17) includes the write-up of the decision. Its an interesting read. I skimmed it because of all the previous case listings.

thanks for the heads-up! reading it now
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com