Text of Muslim Ban Executive Order in a few posts

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

mfc2006 said:

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

Islam is a political system and they have the intent on invading the country and bankrupting it through the billions we give them for subsidies. Go read the FBI report on the subject.

You want them here? No subsidies.

You think subsidies to Islamic refugees is going to bankrupt the country? You think they are coming to this country as part of a diabolical plan to welfare us to death?
    He saw it on the internet.
    you folks only see what you want to see, why don't you take in a few refugees and show them your kindness then get back to us and let us know how it worked out..... I'm sure they'll respect your beliefs and treat you like family.... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!

your fear runs so deep you don't even know what the fuck you are saying anymore.

yep, he's doing a great job. he's MAGA (Making America German Again).
    sure thing Canadian, actually I have very little fear..kind of weird really but not much can make me run.

The fact that Hugh is Canadian is completely irrelevant. Trump's actions will affect everyone in the world.
    many americans don't understand this. they are perfectly fine with the US fucking over the world, but when someone comes back and is concerned with that policy, it's none of our fucking business. and it goes beyond that, I have friends and family in the US. anyone who only gives a shit about people within their own borders are selfish shitheads.
    Completely agree.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

Islam is a political system and they have the intent on invading the country and bankrupting it through the billions we give them for subsidies. Go read the FBI report on the subject.

You think subsidies to Islamic refugees is going to bankrupt the country? You think they are coming to this country as part of a diabolical plan to welfare us to death?
    you folks only see what you want to see, why don't you take in a few refugees and show them your kindness then get back to us and let us know how it worked out..... I'm sure they'll respect your beliefs and treat you like family.... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!

I just continue to be astounded by your unbelivable ignorance and selfishness. My kids have had, and continue to have, refugees from Syria join their school as fellow classmates. They keep telling me how excited they are that these kids and their families have a new chance away from war, and especially my 10 year old, how excited she is for yet another new friend. I will most likely be seeing these kids and their parents at school and community functions, and I can't wait to welcome them into the community and share a drink with them.

Our world has no place for hate and fear. trump supporters like him because he validates those feelings . He will, without a doubt, go down as the single worst president in modern history of your country. He, once again, made an absolute fool of himself on the global stage today in his meeting with PM Trudeau. The world is laughing at him and all those that supported him.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited February 2017

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

I just continue to be astounded by your unbelivable ignorance and selfishness. My kids have had, and continue to have, refugees from Syria join their school as fellow classmates. They keep telling me how excited they are that these kids and their families have a new chance away from war, and especially my 10 year old, how excited she is for yet another new friend. I will most likely be seeing these kids and their parents at school and community functions, and I can't wait to welcome them into the community and share a drink with them.

Our world has no place for hate and fear. trump supporters like him because he validates those feelings . He will, without a doubt, go down as the single worst president in modern history of your country. He, once again, made an absolute fool of himself on the global stage today in his meeting with PM Trudeau. The world is laughing at him and all those that supported him.
    My daughter, in her final year of high school, volunteers as a TA in the ELL course. In our arrogance, we used to call that "ESL" - English as a Second Language. Then we realized that, for most of the kids in it, English wasn't their second language; it was their third, or fourth, or fifth. One of the kids is on his seventh language. So now it's the English Language Learner's course. My daughter loves to get to know the kids from other countries, most of whom are either exchange students or immigrants, but there is one young man who is a muslim refugee from Syria. She has learned an amazing amount from him about what it's like to leave your home, your friends, your culture, essentially all you have ever known, live in a refugee camp for a couple of years, then get settled somewhere that you had no choice in. Luckily for him, his whole family survived the ordeal and are together now. He was shell-shocked at first, for sure; now he's coming out of his shell. His English has improved in leaps and bounds and he is making fast friends. He teaches them about Islam, when they ask, but is incredibly respectful of his new country and our customs. The day after the mosque shootings in Quebec he stayed home. His whole family was in shock that this had happened in their new country. The next day, however, one of his new Canadian friends took him downtown where there was a vigil in support of those lost in the shootings. Many thousands of people turned up. He later told my daughter that that was "my best day in Canada so far". He calls his best male friend here his "Canadian brother". So yes, GF - he treats us with respect and like family.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

My daughter, in her final year of high school, volunteers as a TA in the ELL course. In our arrogance, we used to call that "ESL" - English as a Second Language. Then we realized that, for most of the kids in it, English wasn't their second language; it was their third, or fourth, or fifth. One of the kids is on his seventh language. So now it's the English Language Learner's course. My daughter loves to get to know the kids from other countries, most of whom are either exchange students or immigrants, but there is one young man who is a muslim refugee from Syria. She has learned an amazing amount from him about what it's like to leave your home, your friends, your culture, essentially all you have ever known, live in a refugee camp for a couple of years, then get settled somewhere that you had no choice in. Luckily for him, his whole family survived the ordeal and are together now. He was shell-shocked at first, for sure; now he's coming out of his shell. His English has improved in leaps and bounds and he is making fast friends. He teaches them about Islam, when they ask, but is incredibly respectful of his new country and our customs. The day after the mosque shootings in Quebec he stayed home. His whole family was in shock that this had happened in their new country. The next day, however, one of his new Canadian friends took him downtown where there was a vigil in support of those lost in the shootings. Many thousands of people turned up. He later told my daughter that that was "my best day in Canada so far". He calls his best male friend here his "Canadian brother". So yes, GF - he treats us with respect and like family.
    Excellent story, often. Thanks for sharing.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Thank you for sharing the stories.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

our world also has little room for stupidity and yet the liberals invite it in on a daily basses via "immigrants" who come to our countries
    to take as much as possible then try and change the laws and customs of our countries, and you have absolutely no clue or you refuse
    to see what is happening right under your nose all around the world with your buddies the peaceful immigrants, you can have all the immigrants into Canada you wish but most of us here the USA don't want them and their BS and it's not your business..stay in Canada and enjoy the show.

edited February 2017

via "immigrants" who come to our countries to take as much as possible then try and change the laws and customs of our countries

What are you talking about? Since my dad's parents are immigrants from Italy and my mother's family came over during the U.S. Civil War from Germany and Switzerland I'm at a loss to understand what you reference. My dad's family owned a grocery store in St. Louis, and my mom's family joined the north during the U.S. Civil War in order to gain citizenship. Nothing unusual. People come over and participate.

The following is an example of immigrants who change the laws and customs of our countries. (Wikipedia article)

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City on March 25, 1911 was the deadliest industrial disaster in the history of the city, and one of the deadliest in US history. The fire caused the deaths of 146 garment workers – 123 women and 23 men[1] – who died from the fire, smoke inhalation, or falling or jumping to their deaths. Most of the victims were recent Jewish and Italian immigrant women aged 16 to 23;[2][3][4] of the victims whose ages are known, the oldest victim was Providenza Panno at 43, and the youngest were 14-year-olds Kate Leone and "Sara" Rosaria Maltese.[5]

The fire led to legislation requiring improved factory safety standards and helped spur the growth of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (ILGWU), which fought for better working conditions for sweatshop workers.

Here are more examples of immigrants participating:

PRI article: Remembering the Immigrants who Fought in the US Civil War
    Overall, immigrants made up 25 percent of the Union army in the Civil War: that's a far greater proportion than immigrants made in the general population.

Wikipedia article: Afghan Americans
    After the September 11 attacks in 2001, a mosque run by Afghan-Americans in New York City donated blood, held a vigil for those who died inside the World Trade Center (WTC) and funded a memorial for NYC fire fighters.[24] Since late 2001, after the start of America's longest war, many Afghan-Americans have worked alongside the United States Armed Forces as interpreters, contractors and journalists. A number of them were wounded or killed while on duty inside Afghanistan. Thousands of Afghans who worked as interpreters were admitted to the United States under the Special Immigrant Visa program.

CATO article: Immigrants Have Enriched American Culture and Enhanced Our Influence in the World
    Immigrants are not a drain on government finances. The NAS study found that the typical immigrant and his or her offspring will pay a net $80,000 more in taxes during their lifetimes than they collect in government services. For immigrants with college degrees, the net fiscal return is $198,000. It is true that low-skilled immigrants and refugees tend to use welfare more than the typical “native” household, but the 1996 Welfare Reform Act made it much more difficult for newcomers to collect welfare. As a result, immigrant use of welfare has declined in recent years along with overall welfare rolls.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

our world also has little room for stupidity and yet the liberals invite it in on a daily basses via "immigrants" who come to our countries
    to take as much as possible then try and change the laws and customs of our countries, and you have absolutely no clue or you refuse
    to see what is happening right under your nose all around the world with your buddies the peaceful immigrants, you can have all the immigrants into Canada you wish but most of us here the USA don't want them and their BS and it's not your business..stay in Canada and enjoy the show.

Godfather,

What kind of "stupidity" is invited alongside immigrants? Also, why put double-quotes around "immigrants"? Do you question if they are in fact truly immigrants? Are they lying, were they Americans all along?

What do they try to take? Our immigrant unemployment rates in Canada are within a margin of Canadian-borns, and within ten years, are identical in almost every province (http://canadaimmigrants.com/canada-immigrants-in-the-labour-market-march-2016/).

When do they attempt to change the laws and customs of our countries? The closest I've felt to feeling cultural indoctrination was on my university campus when a Jehovah's Witness tried to convince me to join them, claiming they were a "non-denominational organization" (and later specified that they were non-denominational within the realm of Christianity). Nothing else even comes close, and I work next to a Kenyan Muslim (our Retail Pricer), down the hall from a South African (our Vice President), and a few metres from a Thai Buddhist (one of our Project Managers). Not once have I felt an attack on my Canadian culture in their presence.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    too many radical muslims coming to different countries with the 'refugees" haven't you all noticed that ?
    I don't know much about the Huffington Post but check this out.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/muslim-radicalization-canada/

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

how many refugees have attacked anyone on North American soil?

ZERO.

ZE-FUCKING-RO.

The republicans have zeroed in on your ignorance, racism, bigotry, and they got you hook line and sinker, so they can get you on board to fight a war under false pretence (sound familiar?). you have been played for a fool. your boy trump is going to be impeached and possibly sent to jail. hopefully before he tweets a picture of himself authorizing the nuke of a foreign country.

and it is my business. I don't give a fuck if you say it is. you don't speak for me.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I don't know much about the Huffington Post but check this out.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/muslim-radicalization-canada/

These articles aren't about immigrants. They are about people born in Canada. The first is how communities are working together, and must collaborate, in order to monitor extremism, and to not assume that mosques are hot-beds for extremism.

The second one is about a professor who saw his students as easy targets for extremism. Neither of them is about immigration.

too many radical muslims coming to different countries with the 'refugees" haven't you all noticed that ?

No, I haven't. Canada's latest attack was actually on intolerance itself, when an intolerant person attacked those inside a mosque who were praying peacefully.

As for your Huffington Post links, one of them can be summarized: "it's important to prevent radicalization, rather than to retroactively de-radicalize a person". The other: "I taught religious studies to people from several sects of Islam. Debate got heated, so I warned the university and the police that someone in that room could have been a terrorist. The university and the police told me they'd have my back if there was anything that looked or sounded like inciting or participating in terrorism, but didn't see anything, so they stayed out of it".

Godfather, if heated debate based on passion is equated with potential for terrorism, then I'd say everyone on this board who's ever conversed with you ought to be interrogated. It's telling that these are the articles you returned with to validate your message.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

No, I haven't. Canada's latest attack was actually on intolerance itself, when an intolerant person attacked those inside a mosque who were praying peacefully.

As for your Huffington Post links, one of them can be summarized: "it's important to prevent radicalization, rather than to retroactively de-radicalize a person". The other: "I taught religious studies to people from several sects of Islam. Debate got heated, so I warned the university and the police that someone in that room could have been a terrorist. The university and the police told me they'd have my back if there was anything that looked or sounded like inciting or participating in terrorism, but didn't see anything, so they stayed out of it".

Godfather, if heated debate based on passion is equated with potential for terrorism, then I'd say everyone on this board who's ever conversed with you ought to be interrogated. It's telling that these are the articles you returned with to validate your message.
    all of his links are nothing but confirmation bias.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    benjs said:

Benjs....you're a smart guy with a sharp mind with always sensible and intelligent responses on here.
    So why bother wasting your time responding to an obvious troll who has no interest in reason or common sense.

benjs said:

Benjs....you're a smart guy with a sharp mind with always sensible and intelligent responses on here.
    So why bother wasting your time responding to an obvious troll who has no interest in reason or common sense.
    he has the patience of a saint.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

benjs said:

And it is Saint Valentine's Day ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
    <

benjs said:

Yes, he does.

I personally was going to respond in a way that was going to get me banned, but then I figured, GF isn't worth it. So I let it go. Benjs continues to fight the good fight.

<

benjs said:

Yes, he does.

I personally was going to respond in a way that was going to get me banned, but then I figured, GF isn't worth it. So I let it go. Benjs continues to fight the good fight.
    It's a bit of naiveté, sprinkle in a strong sense of morality, and add some OCD that doesn't let me walk away from illogical and let illogical be the last visible comment.

EV
    benjs said:

<

benjs said:

Yes, he does.

It's a bit of naiveté, sprinkle in a strong sense of morality, and add some OCD that doesn't let me walk away from illogical and let illogical be the last visible comment.
    And yet it works! ;)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    And if we had no one to argue with, what would be the point of being on here? It's not fun just agreeing with each other.
    mrussel1 said:

And if we had no one to argue with, what would be the point of being on here? It's not fun just agreeing with each other.

That is true. I think the current political environment inspired me to not just post here, but to see how any of these threads could reflect civil discourse. I'm looking for debate over insults, but how do I define civil discourse? What is necessary for a debate?
    mrussel1 said:

I don't come here to argue. I come here to learn about current events, as most people here are more knowledgeable than I am. But I have no tolerance for intolerance.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

mrussel1 said:

I don't come here to argue. I come here to learn about current events, as most people here are more knowledgeable than I am. But I have no tolerance for intolerance.
    Well I hope you aren't really coming here to learn about current events. That's what Facebook is for!! But I don't mean "arguing" in the negative, mudslinging sense. I mean a discourse of opposing ideas. Real ones. For example... how do we control the cost curve (or make affordable) for college in this country? Is Sanders' tax plan a viable solution?" I'd love to continue these types of debates. Sometimes they go well, sometimes they turn into shit. But if no one carried an opposing idea here, I would be gone.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Logic and facts don't seem to get you far with most trump supporters that are in as deep as GF. Basically you have to validate their deep fear and insecurity as the basis for their support of trump. Their higher level brain functioning is being turned off when discussing these topics.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Logic and facts don't seem to get you far with most trump supporters that are in as deep as GF. Basically you have to validate their deep fear and insecurity as the basis for their support of trump. Their higher level brain functioning is being turned off when discussing these topics.

so is their spelling

did I see GF spell "basis" as "basses" a few posts up? I've realized there is no need to entertain someone who clearly doesn't have a clue

by the way... I've noticed the biggest snowflakes on this board are the conservatives... they are scared of EVERYTHING... go buy another AR-15 to make you feel better lol

my2hands said:

so is their spelling

did I see GF spell "basis" as "basses" a few posts up? I've realized there is no need to entertain someone who clearly doesn't have a clue

by the way... I've noticed the biggest snowflakes on this board are the conservatives... they are scared of EVERYTHING... go buy another AR-15 to make you feel better lol

google muslim riots in France, thanks for the spelling lesson and when you get a chance (if ever) wake up ! muslims are
    becoming a bigger problem than you care to realize.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

my2hands said:

so is their spelling

google muslim riots in France, thanks for the spelling lesson and when you get a chance (if ever) wake up ! muslims are
    becoming a bigger problem than you care to realize.

how is that statement ok? You can't simply lump every single Muslim into one category. Unreal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

<

benjs said:

Yes, he does.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA ! it must be hard to respond when you know I'm right.

<

benjs said:

Yes, he does.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA ! it must be hard to respond when you know I'm right.

Oh, believe me, that's never been the reason that I haven't responded to you.