Ed In Milwaukee

Comments

• KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    that's why we need official bootlegs of these shows. they are just too good and ed is way too talented to not have these live on through a permanent record..

Ya...I'd love it...but this show and others would have to be EDITTED to stand any chance. I personally would cringe at listening to parts of last nights and other shows...not Ed...the idiots that can't shit up.
  • DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    i said this before...I'm not even sure why its a topic of conversation on here - this has been going on for years...we all know its annoying...

Every show I go to you have these same types of people. I hit 50-75 shows a year...and it happens all the time. I just zone them out and let myself enjoy the show. No reason to get violent or angry towards them unless they are right in your ear...then its ok to turn to them and say shut the fuck up before I shut you up. :P
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    You're probably going to end up punching alot of people in the face that night because these fuckers are far worse than an infestation of ants or rats.
    They're everywhere in every city, at every venue....calling out for the same stupid songs "Jeremy" "State of Love and Trust" "Black" "Crazy Mary".

They should lock the door to the bar minutes before the show starts. Trap them all in and not let them out to the end of the show. That would be the only way to save Chicago from the hecklers.

My wife's idea for this was to have a doorway that is labeled "Free Beer" that leads outside and locks behind them. My feeling is that beer was responsible for a lot of the assholes. If you need beer to enhance a Pearl Jam or EV show, then you probably don't need to be there in the first place.

I too fear the Chicago crowds. Wish there was a way of controlling it beforehand and give Ed a good night after putting up with the same shit every night.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
    madsea wrote:
    I have a confession to make. I yelled something.

We got pulled out of the balcony by Ed's folks and got front row seats.

After he did his "shut. the. F%CK UP." bit, there was some quiet...

Me and the girl next to me yelled, "Thank you for the seats Ed!"

He gave us a little look and nodded...

You guys are disrespectful assholes for yelling at Ed ;)

Good for you guys though, not sure how you couldn't, but hope you enjoyed the evening!
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    thanks...anyone who has been to Milwaukee knows it's a great little city. quote]

It is a great little city, I always enjoy my low stress trips up there. It has all the advantages of a city, yet is small and uncrowded enough that you can get around easily.

We were lucky enough to meet a nice couple from Western Mass that decided to make a nice little trip around the show. They'd been there since Sunday, found plenty to do and were enjoying the heck out of the town. And they said they never would've thought to visit had it not been for the EV show, and they were glad they did.
    I think there is an easier way to shut people up, they need to be singled out. And not by the performer addressing the crowd, but by the people around them. One guy can speak to a group of people exhibiting the disrupting behavior, but they have the safety of numbers. If everyone in the immediate area of one of these people isn't annoyed, they can single that person out and gang up on them. I would think that would have a greater effect. I don't understand the mindset of one of those people, so I don't know how they'd react, but I'd sooner shut up if a bunch of people were looking at me, in the singular, and yelling at me.

But why doesn't that happen? Fear of confrontation? Fear of escalation? The people being bothered have the safety of numbers.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    the only way to stop it is tasers
  • DesignVHL wrote:
    Thats a pretty ignorant comment.

I'm from the north chicago burbs...and I feel lucky to be able to see 3 ed shows (thank you to sluggo for the friday tix)...I'm in the perfect location to hit chicago and milwaukee shows. I had never been to the riverside before last night...and i LOVED the venue! Sound was fantastic, venue was clean...MUCh cleaner than the likes of the VIC and RIV and ARAGON! I go to the rave every so often too...not as great of a venue, but I've always had a blast there, and when I meet Milwaukee music fans, they are just as passionate as any other music fan I have met in other places....this Chicago vs Milwaukee thing couldn't be ANY more ridiculous.

Be careful he works out at a gym in Vegas. I guess he thinks he's a tough guy. ;)
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    vedhead011 wrote:
    I think there is an easier way to shut people up, they need to be singled out. And not by the performer addressing the crowd, but by the people around them. One guy can speak to a group of people exhibiting the disrupting behavior, but they have the safety of numbers. If everyone in the immediate area of one of these people isn't annoyed, they can single that person out and gang up on them. I would think that would have a greater effect. I don't understand the mindset of one of those people, so I don't know how they'd react, but I'd sooner shut up if a bunch of people were looking at me, in the singular, and yelling at me.

But why doesn't that happen? Fear of confrontation? Fear of escalation? The people being bothered have the safety of numbers.
    yeah but then you get the tough guy drunk, spouting off trying to be "biilybadass" in front of his girlfriend which creates a bigger disruption. Get over it , people are assholes. period. their ticket is the license to do whatever they want. if you dont want to deal with it stay at home. doesnt make it right but people pis me off everywhere, yeah i might want to kick their ass , and 9 out of 10 times I would, but its not woth going to jail over an idiot. shake your head and let it go.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• teskeinc wrote:
    yeah but then you get the tough guy drunk, spouting off trying to be "biilybadass" in front of his girlfriend which creates a bigger disruption. Get over it , people are assholes. period. their ticket is the license to do whatever they want. if you dont want to deal with it stay at home. doesnt make it right but people pis me off everywhere, yeah i might want to kick their ass , and 9 out of 10 times I would, but its not woth going to jail over an idiot. shake your head and let it go.

Wow you did make some good points. I'm shocked. ;)
    teskeinc wrote:

You're absolutely right, and that is that path that is most taken. It honestly didn't really ruin my night or anything, I think the bottom line for me and I really didn't realize it until now is that I feel bad for Ed having to go through the same shit night in and night out. I had a great time last night, and the drunken assholes stick out, but I'll always remember the evening with a smile. It does happen everywhere every time, it's just amplified in such a small and intimate venue.
  • It got to me when Ed said he was gonna end the show cause of the hecklers. I still loved the show and had a awesome time. Glad most of us all did too. :D
  • it seemed to me after the guy got dragged out, some yellers got scared straight, too bad it had to come to that.

Reading your post gave me an idea. Perhaps Ed should "plant" an idiot in the audience who causes a ruckus during the first two songs, gets dragged out kicking and screaming, never to return - just to set an example. As you said, "yellers got scared straight." I think it could work.
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
    Be careful he works out at a gym in Vegas. I guess he thinks he's a tough guy. ;)

lol well i don't scare easily! And if he's the type to hit a girl...he would be messin' w/ the wrong one. I can defend myself and knock his ass to the ground...BOOYAH!
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • tditz_gbtditz_gb Posts: 16
    Well, it's never happened to me before but the Milwaukee vids are gone. It sucks. If I had realized there would be problem I would not have bothered to upload them. Anyway, I hope some of you got to check them out this morning.

Tim
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    So I'm going to post it----

east coaster>midwesters
    deal with it!

That's why Chi-Town is going to get the best two nights of the whole tour. Eddie in his home town is something special. If you don't know now you know. What's so great about the east anyway? New York is a shitty dirt box & has anyone ever seen people Philadelphia. Two words......Oh Boy. Didn't Drexel Univ. get the ugliest university in the States this year?

PS- I just love f-ing with east coasters.....they get all worked up watch.
  • DesignVHL wrote:
    lol well i don't scare easily! And if he's the type to hit a girl...he would be messin' w/ the wrong one. I can defend myself and knock his ass to the ground...BOOYAH!

Ahhh i'm calling for peace now. :)

Now a tough girl well thats cool and cute. :D
  • teskeinc wrote:
    their ticket is the license to do whatever they want.

Wrong. If that were the case, dude wouldn't have gotten hauled out last night, kicking and screaming "I'M A 10C MEMBER!"

Ugh. What an embarrassment.

Last night felt like a potentially great show ruined. As a native Sconnie long since transplanted to FIB land, I would never say that either Illinois or Wisconsin fans are to blame.

I will say, however, that I think yelling "Go Cubbies!" to a performer that is a KNOWN RABID CUBS FAN AND CHICAGO NATIVE seems fairly innocuous if it's not overdone - it's like a friendly shoutout.

Repeatedly yelling "BOO, CUBS SUCK!" (which I also recall hearing at the Vic during that Cubs song...another potentially great show ruined by a terrible crowd, IMO) is just rude and classless WHEN YOU KNOW THE PERFORMER YOU'RE SEEING IS A HUGE FAN.

Is it seriously that crucial to point out that something sucks? Lame.

I really wouldn't be surprised if there's no Alpine '09, '10, '11, '12...which would be unfortunate, because Alpine '03 was one of my favorite shows ever.

I have faith that the Chicago crowd will get it right. C'mon people now, smile on your brother and just say no to douchebaggery!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    :) thanks Patrick. and I'm def. a peaceful girl...
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Wrong. If that were the case, dude wouldn't have gotten hauled out last night, kicking and screaming "I'M A 10C MEMBER!"

Ugh. What an embarrassment.

Last night felt like a potentially great show ruined. As a native Sconnie long since transplanted to FIB land, I would never say that either Illinois or Wisconsin fans are to blame.

I will say, however, that I think yelling "Go Cubbies!" to a performer that is a KNOWN RABID CUBS FAN AND CHICAGO NATIVE seems fairly innocuous if it's not overdone - it's like a friendly shoutout.

Repeatedly yelling "BOO, CUBS SUCK!" (which I also recall hearing at the Vic during that Cubs song...another potentially great show ruined by a terrible crowd, IMO) is just rude and classless WHEN YOU KNOW THE PERFORMER YOU'RE SEEING IS A HUGE FAN.

Is it seriously that crucial to point out that something sucks? Lame.

I really wouldn't be surprised if there's no Alpine '09, '10, '11, '12...which would be unfortunate, because Alpine '03 was one of my favorite shows ever.

I have faith that the Chicago crowd will get it right. C'mon people now, smile on your brother and just say no to douchebaggery!

Good points. :)
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    Ed also scrams early on any date before Chicago. I think he is always anxious to go back to his hometown.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Reading your post gave me an idea. Perhaps Ed should "plant" an idiot in the audience who causes a ruckus during the first two songs, gets dragged out kicking and screaming, never to return - just to set an example. As you said, "yellers got scared straight." I think it could work.
    Wow - that's EXACTLY what my wife said yesterday. It's actually a great idea. And to make it even more realistic they can keep yelling Footsteps and I love you Eddie.

Ugh - it was a great show, but everytime I think of last night the first thing that I think of are the idiots and the second thing is how great the show was. That's really sad - and for both LA shows I never really thought too much of it as it did get better as the show went on.
  • DesignVHL wrote:
    :) thanks Patrick. and I'm def. a peaceful girl...

I'm sure you are. :)

Very cool
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    wow, so much anti-Cubs fan sentiment.

I was wearing a Cubs jersey last night, but it was not because Ed is a fan, but rather because I was in rival territory. I actually did not hear a single person yell out "go cubbies!" but it's probably because I was annoyed by "WOO!" guy behind me. sad part is, he was wearing one of the yellow "Please Play Alpine Valley" t-shirts. I know he's a fan, seen him at many shows, but dude, seriously, SHUT UP!
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?

Ha ha, "douchebaggery"!

I wouldn't be surprised either, nor would I be very upset. '03 was the one night that I let people ruin a show for me. Of course it had to do with seat hopping, 3x capacity people per row, and people pissing on other people. Alpine Valley is one of those places that leads to so much "douchebaggery" because people are tailgating all day and setting themselves up for the double whammy of ruining the shows for themselves by not being able to remember it, and everyone else.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    who gives a shit if people are rowdy and yelling... its a rock concert with the lead singer of a rock band, not a fucking Opera :rolleyes:

i like the energy myself, now of course i wasnt yelling, but i still like the energy. i thought DC 1 was way better then DC2 just becasue of the energy

call me crazy
  • lowlight10 wrote:
    wow, so much anti-Cubs fan sentiment.

I was wearing a Cubs jersey last night, but it was not because Ed is a fan, but rather because I was in rival territory. I actually did not hear a single person yell out "go cubbies!" but it's probably because I was annoyed by "WOO!" guy behind me. sad part is, he was wearing one of the yellow "Please Play Alpine Valley" t-shirts. I know he's a fan, seen him at many shows, but dude, seriously, SHUT UP!

Oh boy!!!
  • my2hands wrote:
    who gives a shit if people are rowdy and yelling... its a rock concert with the lead singer of a rock band, not a fucking Opera :rolleyes:

i like the energy myself, now of course i wasnt yelling, but i still like the energy. i thought DC 1 was way better then DC2 just becasue of the energy

call me crazy

If people are rowdy and yelling during a quiet song to the point that I can't hear the performer, then yeah, I guess I'd rather be at the opera.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • iwasthere wrote:
    Thats the thing, Arc is amazing. But it was waaaaay off last night.

If it was off last night, then i hope its on thursday, i may have to call into work!
  • KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    fraidknot wrote:
    If it was off last night, then i hope its on thursday, i may have to call into work!

Curious as to whats "off". When you loop tracks it turns out different every time and I thought it was COOL last night. I don't think its meant to sound exactly like the CD track....