Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275

chadwick said:

you'd be better off eating healthy than starving yourself

Very true, otherwise you binge later.
    Not me. I have light dinners. No carbs.
    My biggest meal has been lunch and dinners have gotten smaller. I didn't plan it that way, it just kind of happened! And I'm trying to cut back on sugar anyway, but no sugar at night.....no...no....no!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • DancedNLaughterDancedNLaughter the 509 Posts: 323
    I know I'm late to the game and haven't had much time to post lately, but I want need to do this too!

About 2 years ago, I started exercising daily and making better choices food-wise (watching portion sizes, no night snacking, 1/2 of the cookie instead of 1/2 of the bag of cookies :wink: , etc.) and for the first time, really lost weight and lost it in a healthy way.

However, for some reason, since probably the fall, I got off track and my clothes are starting to get snug again and I can notice the weight coming back. Ugh! Reading this thread really motivated me get started again, so thank you! I've also cut out diet soda this time (which is extremely hard!!!! I know how bad it is for me, but it's sooooo good!!!!!)

I'm not what you would call a naturally active person, so exercise continues to be my hurdle. It doesn't help that my main exercise is walking/blading, and the weather is so crappy outside right now. :( My first goal is to get moving, exercising a minimum of 60 min., 5 days a week. I had clogging class last night, so one day down :) I think I'm going to dig out some exercise dvd's today and go for it!

All of the recipes sound great!!! Can't wait to try some of them!
    Push me and I will resist . . .
    Let me run into the rain . . . .to shine a human light today . . .
    Yay Danced!!! Welcome! I'm home with a cold and yesterday I picked up a gluten free chicken consume wit veggies at lunch. I went back and got more it was so good. having that again today and it's making my throat feel much better. Low in carbs, all good veggies and white chicken I think when they have it at the caf it's a a great meal for winter. Sick or no!
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777

I know I'm late to the game and haven't had much time to post lately, but I want need to do this too!

About 2 years ago, I started exercising daily and making better choices food-wise (watching portion sizes, no night snacking, 1/2 of the cookie instead of 1/2 of the bag of cookies :wink: , etc.) and for the first time, really lost weight and lost it in a healthy way.

However, for some reason, since probably the fall, I got off track and my clothes are starting to get snug again and I can notice the weight coming back. Ugh! Reading this thread really motivated me get started again, so thank you! I've also cut out diet soda this time (which is extremely hard!!!! I know how bad it is for me, but it's sooooo good!!!!!)

I'm not what you would call a naturally active person, so exercise continues to be my hurdle. It doesn't help that my main exercise is walking/blading, and the weather is so crappy outside right now. :( My first goal is to get moving, exercising a minimum of 60 min., 5 days a week. I had clogging class last night, so one day down :) I think I'm going to dig out some exercise dvd's today and go for it!

All of the recipes sound great!!! Can't wait to try some of them!

Welcome, sounds like you know what you need to do. I used to find it hard exercising because if I don't exercise first thing in the morning I usually don't exercise during the day (except walking). My husband leaves for work at 5.45 am so I can't leave the house to exercise because of my son, but I started walking on the spot while watching TV, then I realised I needed more and I pulled out the exercise dvd's, I use them alot, quite often I am finishing up exercising when my son gets up.
    If you make a few of your healthier eating changes and ramp up the exercise to what you said the weight gain will fall off you.
    Good luck, write down your plan and tick it off each day to prove to yourself you can do it. Then it becomes habit. :)
    Sprunkn7 said:

Yay Danced!!! Welcome! I'm home with a cold and yesterday I picked up a gluten free chicken consume wit veggies at lunch. I went back and got more it was so good. having that again today and it's making my throat feel much better. Low in carbs, all good veggies and white chicken I think when they have it at the caf it's a a great meal for winter. Sick or no!

Chicken vege soup always soothes the soul. Enjoy :)
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Did 4 miles today and it felt pretty easy, gonna do one more day of it and then move on to 4.5 (maybe 5 depending on how I feel while on the run)
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Ok so I didn't starve myself, had a sandwich yesterday and now my weight is up 1kg wtf.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Ok so I didn't starve myself, had a sandwich yesterday and now my weight is up 1kg wtf.

Starving is a no no! there are so may ways to eat. The one that works for me, eat 3 meals a day. Lots of veggies, protein and good fats. Don't "graze" and keep hydrated. It will come off a lot faster if you work with your metabolism.
    I recommend reading the Whole 30 Book, Even f you don't want to do the month, it explains HOW food works in the body and the gut. I has a lot of info in easy to understand terms. I felt a difference in my body in a week!
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I heard this little tidbit last night. Divide your weight by 2 and that's how many ounces of water you should be drinking daily.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Oh. And I meant to add great job everyone!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    This morning when I ran it wasn't my New Year's resolution pushing me out the door it was the inspiration from this thread. Good job!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Time for some burpees :anguished:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    I ran this morning so I could post about it :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Seeds?
    I go through Jonnhy's, they have a huge selection and don't have Monsanto profiting seeds.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I am endeavoring to lose all my new Dad weight in the next 45 days so I will be back in shape for hiking in the mountains and PJ shows.
    40lbs in 40 days is the goal.
    rgambs said:

I am endeavoring to lose all my new Dad weight in the next 45 days so I will be back in shape for hiking in the mountains and PJ shows.

Good luck, rgambs!
    rgambs said:

Seeds?
    I go through Jonnhy's, they have a huge selection and don't have Monsanto profiting seeds.
    the workout
    severed hand thirteen

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Good luck, rgambs!
    Thanks!

rgambs said:

Seeds?
    the workout
    Hahaha that makes more sense, I haven't heard of that workout. I'm archaic, pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, heavy bag, free weights and jogging lol
    rgambs said:

I'm not good at counting.
    There are 75 days until the shows/vacation and I don't need to lose 75, I would be in dangerous territory there.
    40 lbs in 70 days is a lot more manageable. 40 in 40 was entirely possible though since I fattened so quickly it's all just waiting to slide off.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    you better shape up!!
    cause i need a man..
    and my heart is set on you...

lol
    edited January 2016

I'm not a fan of burpees but they really are a great exercise, they work out most of your body.
    I went to bootcamp this morning, we had to do a burpees then jump over the medicine ball, the extra jump takes it out of you!
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I've been working out trying to get in better shape for a while now. Can definitely tell that I'm much stronger now, but the weight I need to drop wasn't really coming off -- dropped some weight, but seemed to have plateaued. Wife and I were eating fairly healthy, but went super strict with the diet after the new year. Curious to see how that will impact my goals.

I'm not a fan of burpees but they really are a great exercise, they work out most of your body.
    I went to bootcamp this morning, we had to do a burpees then jump over the medicine ball, the extra jump takes it out of you!
    They are pretty rough on the joints, but I don't mind too much. Doing some the other night made me realize even more that I got out of shape the last few months, but back at it now!
    severed hand thirteen

I've been working out trying to get in better shape for a while now. Can definitely tell that I'm much stronger now, but the weight I need to drop wasn't really coming off -- dropped some weight, but seemed to have plateaued. Wife and I were eating fairly healthy, but went super strict with the diet after the new year. Curious to see how that will impact my goals.

Welcome :)

Quite often the body wants to hold onto fat stores (evolutionary reasons, incase you go into a famine) so when you change eating habits and/or exercise you lose weight, but after a certain time period (differs between people) you just plateu off and stop losing weight. The body is wired to hold onto those fat stores so after its lost some it says that's enough I'm going to hold onto the rest. This is the time to keep believing in youreelf, stay strong, persevere and change your exercise by ramping it up, or look at fine tuning your eating, then the weight starts coming off again. It's a continuous cycle. So don't give up in those plateus.
    From you changing your eating again you should be on the way to losing weight again. If not increase exercise intensity or duration.
    Hope this helps you understand your body better.
    Today's recipe:

Kale salad,

Ingredients
    1 bunch of kale, washed and finely shredded
    1 avocado diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice or Apple cider vinegar
    1 punnet cherry tomatoes
    1 red onion finely chopped
    1/2 cup olives (can add more or less, green or black doesn't matter)

Method
    1. Put kale and avocado into a large mixing bowl and use your hands to scrunch the avocado into kale.
    2. Add tomatoes, olives and onions into kale and mix through.
    3. Combine lemon juice and olive oil then pour over salad and serve.
    I make it at the start if the week and it lasts for 3-4 lunches, to make it a bit more filling you can add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds any chopped up nut (walnut or macadamia nuts are yum).
    Ms. Haiku said:

I ran this morning so I could post about it :)

I love that comment. I've been reading a book on how to teach yourself something in 48 hrs, they say you need to make yourself accountable to someone other than yourself. So share what you want to learn or change and it has a higher chance of happening. This thread is obviously working like that for you. Let us know what you plan on doing tomorrow.
    ehbacon said:

Did 4 miles today and it felt pretty easy, gonna do one more day of it and then move on to 4.5 (maybe 5 depending on how I feel while on the run)

How's the training going? Sounds like you are smashing it.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103

Welcome :)

Quite often the body wants to hold onto fat stores (evolutionary reasons, incase you go into a famine) so when you change eating habits and/or exercise you lose weight, but after a certain time period (differs between people) you just plateu off and stop losing weight. The body is wired to hold onto those fat stores so after its lost some it says that's enough I'm going to hold onto the rest. This is the time to keep believing in youreelf, stay strong, persevere and change your exercise by ramping it up, or look at fine tuning your eating, then the weight starts coming off again. It's a continuous cycle. So don't give up in those plateus.
    From you changing your eating again you should be on the way to losing weight again. If not increase exercise intensity or duration.
    Hope this helps you understand your body better.
    Thanks for the encouragement! That's pretty much what my trainer has told me. Said that it may seem like nothing is happening then in a few weeks I might start losing a lot of weight.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964

ehbacon said:

How's the training going? Sounds like you are smashing it.
    still at 4 miles. Ended up not running today as I was just too tired so I'll be running 4 tomorrow and hopefully moving up to 5 on Monday.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    It does not help that I finally feel better (digestive wise) and Mr. RK keeps making horrible things to eat for dinner. I can't just eat something else...he gets offended.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless