Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

So if you sign your 8 year old kid up, how is he/she gonna pick up the tickets ??

they go down to the venue with you, then head home with someone else. which I've actually seen happen.
    There is an age limit. I think it's 13 or something like that. No 8 year old is picking up tix and then going home.
    so you have someone 13 or older do the same thing. point doesn't change.

Learned my lesson though, next tour, gotta buy 7 memberships for myself and others, and tell everyone how fair this is supposed to be. right.
    You can also have some someone who's 40 years old do the same thing. I don't see your point. once a kid is a teenager they need their own access to concerts. If they have a membership so they can give tix to someone else so what? Adults can do that too, and do. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, and has absolutely nothing to do with how long they have been members.
    10C does keep an eye out for people doing what you suggest btw, but there is only so much they can control. If someone has 7 friends with different addresses who are all willing to go to the show or go and pick up their tix and give them to you, then oh well. They ARE paying the membership fees as well. It's still a free country and there is no way around that so why bitch about it?
    So there is a bonafide way to cheat the system, but it's a fair system?
    Just call it what it is, not random, not a lottery, and that you can improve your chances, instead of clinging to the idea that it's fair.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018

the_don said:

It's actually pretty easy to limit to one membership per household. Tons of sites and other bands do this and solve the problem.

That sucks for households who actually have multiple, good fans
    Right...my 15 year old is a huge fan, and would really be hurt by this. With his membership and mine, we were able to bring my wife and my younger son to both nights of PJ20. He won the lottery for the Cincinnati show last year and I did not...so we bought two additional tickets and brought my younger son and a friend. He unfortunately cannot attend any shows for the upcoming tour, so he did not enter the lottery. I get OP's point, and that's why our household are not @$$holes about how we enter for tickets...we enter for what we can/will use, and not more.

I hope the "one membership per household" idea is carefully considered before jumping to it as a solution.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

So if you sign your 8 year old kid up, how is he/she gonna pick up the tickets ??

they go down to the venue with you, then head home with someone else. which I've actually seen happen.
    There is an age limit. I think it's 13 or something like that. No 8 year old is picking up tix and then going home.

Learned my lesson though, next tour, gotta buy 7 memberships for myself and others, and tell everyone how fair this is supposed to be. right.
    You can also have some someone who's 40 years old do the same thing. I don't see your point. once a kid is a teenager they need their own access to concerts. If they have a membership so they can give tix to someone else so what? Adults can do that too, and do. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, and has absolutely nothing to do with how long they have been members.
    10C does keep an eye out for people doing what you suggest btw, but there is only so much they can control. If someone has 7 friends with different addresses who are all willing to go to the show or go and pick up their tix and give them to you, then oh well. They ARE paying the membership fees as well. It's still a free country and there is no way around that so why bitch about it?
    Just call it what it is, not random, not a lottery, and that you can improve your chances, instead of clinging to the idea that it's fair.
    There is a way to cheat ALL systems. Seriously, show me a system that is completely fool proof. Not just with concert tickets. Any system in the world. Fair always means as fair as reasonably possible. Come on, you are a grown up, you know that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

There is a way to cheat ALL systems. Seriously, show me a system that is completely fool proof. Not just with concert tickets. Any system in the world. Fair always means as fair as reasonably possible. Come on, you are a grown up, you know that.
    Completely agree.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    So it's perfect and no improvements are possible and shouldn't be brought up, discussed, or otherwise considered.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

So it's perfect and no improvements are possible and shouldn't be brought up, discussed, or otherwise considered.

Not at all. I have already talked about the main issue with the system, which is the 2 choices per show thing. They need a secondary GA lottery. I was responding to a specific comment.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gatorjamgatorjam West Palm Beach, Florida Posts: 187
    My son is two and has a passport ID, can I use that to pick up his tickets?
    2003-Tampa
    2006-East Rutherford
    2008-West Palm Beach
    2009- Philadelphia
    2016- Fort Lauderdale and Miami
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    edited January 2016
    weight the lottery somehow based on seniority. ranges of numbers get a certain number of "balls" per entry. for example: 0-200xxx get 5, 201xxx-400xxx get 3, 400xxx+ get 1
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

And I'm also arguing that what constitutes fair is subjective, and we disagree.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

indeed, "please don't say a word, anyone who disagrees with me and my unyielding defense of the fan club policy".
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

MayDay10 said:

indeed, "please don't say a word, anyone who disagrees with me and my unyielding defense of the fan club policy".
    That's not it at all. You are implying there is a rampant abuse of the system which I personally find logistically impossible.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

MayDay10 said:

That's not it at all. You are implying there is a rampant abuse of the system which I personally find logistically impossible.

This whole thread is about abuses of the system.
  • Options
    nevetsreddabnevetsreddab Chatham, Ontario Posts: 14

I'm also the rare fan who really doesn't like GA. Being on the rail would be great but I don't want to wait in a line and I hate being nut to butt w/ all of you. :D

Well, there are two of us. Maybe I'm just too old for that shit. Or maybe as the years make me progressively chubbier, I am willing to acknowledge that nobody wants to rub up against me either. I always select reserved as my first choice now. One less sweaty fat guy in the pit!
    London - July 16, 2013
    Buffalo - October 12, 2013
    Detroit - October 16, 2014
    Toronto - May 10, 2016
  • Options
    edited January 2016

eddiec said:

MayDay10 said:

Not it's not. Trading tix with other members isn't an abuse of the system.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    DPrival78 said:

weight the lottery somehow based on seniority. ranges of numbers get a certain number of "balls" per entry. for example: 0-200xxx get 5, 201xxx-400xxx get 3, 400xxx+ get 1

Then I assume their membership fees would be scaled down appropriately since they arent receiving the same benefits as other members.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    The
    PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

MayDay10 said:

Not it's not. Trading tix with other members isn't an abuse of the system.
    The first post, from the OP, is about how the ticket trading process has been abused. The first post. You may disagree about whether it is or not, but it is the first post.
  • Options
    They can stop it by making you enter the arena as soon as you pick up your tickets. If you are not ready to go in then you have to come when you are ready to enter. Simple fix to this problem.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    RS151862 said:

DPrival78 said:

Then I assume their membership fees would be scaled down appropriately since they arent receiving the same benefits as other members.
    why? it would be no different from back when ticket distribution was based strictly on seniority. in fact it would be more equitable than that, since a person with a high number would still have some chance of getting the best tickets - something that wasn't the case before.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    People have been setting up multiple accounts long before the lottery. I remember speaking to a lady in line at Saratoga Springs in 2000, back when you could get one pair for one show, who was bragging about signing her daughter for an account just for the extra two tickets.
  • Options
    subpoprockcitysubpoprockcity Posts: 241
    edited January 2016

and the argument is that this is not ok, and when you add in the ability to buy multiple shows, compounds the problem. you can disagree with it, fine, but that's the issue at hand.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    The reality is the more people you have in a group, the more chances you have at tickets as it stands now.
    As for whether this is rampant, what is rampant? It's happening and with so few tickets available with high demand it tips the scales pretty quickly.
    Look at the "I won" thread. Lots of I got this, my GF got that. I got this, my fiancé got this.
    The point you have ask is, if the people who have secondary accounts, are you willing to risk getting reserved with your shitty number if you go for tickets.
    That's why mayday, pj soul and I have said you go for a show, you can pick reserved only or res and Ga. No guarantee of GA if you win.
    You can still have the 2nd account, but you might get seats behind GA
  • Options
    edited January 2016

People have been setting up multiple accounts long before the lottery. I remember speaking to a lady in line at Saratoga Springs in 2000, back when you could get one pair for one show, who was bragging about signing her daughter for an account just for the extra two tickets.

That is also wrong. Especially considering the 1-show cap.

The issue now is that there is a huge incentive to new account(s) as they can specifically target GA. There would be much less incentive to jump in with brand new 10c #s with a good chance of getting reserved vs GA if selected. There would be some incentive, but it is actually difficult to get rid of 10c tickets when you reveal they are reserved and >500xxx.

And yes, its been going on. I have paid attention to this because the 'loophole' caught my eye from the beginning. Just reading the "winners" thread, every other person says "I got XXXX and my brother/friend/wife, etc" got XXXX" or some variation. This was not occurring a much before, much less when the lottery began, less but very noticeable in 2013, now it seems to be everywhere... along with 'pairs for trade'. Hell, I have a friend who signed up his wife for this and he landed Philly I tickets with his good # and his wife (with the account controlled by my fanatic friend) landed Philly II GA.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

They can stop it by making you enter the arena as soon as you pick up your tickets. If you are not ready to go in then you have to come when you are ready to enter. Simple fix to this problem.

Great system (NIN uses it and it is smooth as silk), and yeah, I don't understand why 10C continues to leave that hours-long window open for people to scalp their tix. It may be specifically because it also prevents people from trading tix. I feel like the 10C has no issue at all with ticket trading. It's part of the social fabric among members, and, I think, a positive thing. But scalping should trump allowing ticket trades, so yeah, I'm all for 10C bringing in the NIN system when it comes to picking up our tix.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Great system (NIN uses it and it is smooth as silk), and yeah, I don't understand why 10C continues to leave that hours-long window open for people to scalp their tix. It may be specifically because it also prevents people from trading tix. I feel like the 10C has no issue at all with ticket trading. It's part of the social fabric among members, and, I think, a positive thing. But scalping should trump allowing ticket trades, so yeah, I'm all for 10C bringing in the NIN system when it comes to picking up our tix.
    This would work well. Thanks for including it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Totally agree. I've seen people pick up their tickets at the 10club window and then go sell them outside to scalpers.

I wish ticketmaster did the same thing. Only the ticket purchaser has to show valid I.D. for all the tickets purchased before entering the arena. Of course they probably won't do that because I think they are in the scalping business themselves.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

Right, but while I will recognize that you've included some options to improve this, I'm not sure where the rabid shutting down of anyone else who is offering a critique of it is coming from, or why it's appropriate. It can be done better, it can be done differently, and they can and should work towards limiting the potential for cheating, particularly in light of how many ways this is possible that have been brought up in this conversation. I think it's fair to talk about that without the insults, the patronizing and so forth. Thanks.
  • Options
    I have no problem with ticket trading. However, what is going on is a bit problematic IMO, especially not 24 hours after the lottery has concluded. Its like a full-blown marketplace.
    Too many people with the burdon of 'extra pairs'. It either means they are getting multiples, or they are putting in for tickets they do not intend on using. Either way, this is taking pairs out of hands that actually wanted them.
    I also only see what I see here, I wonder what is going on elsewhere, I'm sure people are getting more than face value.

While ticket trading is fine, IMO something needs to be altered a bit to reduce this.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited January 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

10c would have to drop their 'pairs only' rule for this to work.

• Options
    I went to an RHCP show once where I had to use my CC to get in. Right at the turnstile, they swiped my card and 4 stubs came out for my friends and I. Almost foolproof. The only drawback was we all had to enter together
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,480
    Two possible ideas....

1. Allow single ticket sales.
    2. Remove GA and go back to seating. Then all seats are "by seniority".
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
This discussion has been closed.