Options

The Aging of Avocado

Comments

• Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Marker is probably one of my favorite songs in the catalogue, definitely top 10.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782
    edited November 2015
    my2hands said:

Avocado... has balls

Yes

I love avocado. For me every song is awesome in some way. Big wave would be my least favorite but even this one is fun and quirky. I'm really hoping to catch inside job next tour. Don't have avocado on vinyl yet. Probably not in the near future either esp with tour dates likely to be announced soon
    Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    This is my third favorite in the catalog after Yield and Vs.

Beginning to end it is driving and doesn't relent. Only song I ever skip is Big Wave. Army Reserve is underrated, amazing bass lines and fittingly grainy vocals.

It should have been their last album... What has come after has simply been legacy damaging.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited November 2015
    Karts said:

This is my third favorite in the catalog after Yield and Vs.

Beginning to end it is driving and doesn't relent. Only song I ever skip is Big Wave. Army Reserve is underrated, amazing bass lines and fittingly grainy vocals.

It should have been their last album... What has come after has simply been legacy damaging.

Legacy damaging? That seems a bit harsh. Yeah, they are inferior albums to what came before for a lot of people (very much so IMO), but it never even crossed my mind to let the effect my feelings about what came before them. I don't think that a bad album or two can damage great legacies. Especially not when the live shows are still so good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I was listening to this the other morning, after maybe a couple year hiatus. I remember liking the album a lot but also feeling like the songs/album would be dated due to the war/current events subject matter.

I was shocked and saddened at how relevant the songs still are today as they were nearly 10 years ago...

"...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mschostok said:

Marker is probably one of my favorite songs in the catalogue, definitely top 10.

Same here. Brilliant song.

I've actually been listening to this album a lot in the last week after just hearing the occasional song on shuffle. It has aged very well, in my opinion. Great album!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    ...and such is the ebb and flow of PJ fans (and many other fan bases as well).

The new album sucks. This is shit. Why couldn't the new album be better than the last. Etc. etc...

Only to find 10 years later, it's actually a pretty killer album.

I worked in a record store when Avocado came out and I remember everyone shitting on it. Blah blah blah. I thought it was awesome! It's up there with No Code and Yield (and Vitalogy and Binaural and Vs. and Ten and...)

Same with backspacer.

Same with lightning bolt.

I predict in a few years, the same thread will be made for these two albums.

Avocado fucking rocks! And Side A is a monster!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited December 2015

I really, really don't get the mass love for Marker? Did I get a different version of this song than everyone else?

Haha. You must have. Only reasonable explanation, really, cause it's magic!
    One of my least favorite in their entire catalog. It really does nothing for me. And I like magic :tongue:
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options

I really, really don't get the mass love for Marker? Did I get a different version of this song than everyone else?

One of my least favorite in their entire catalog. It really does nothing for me. And I like magic :tongue:
    Try it one more time :smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0g1KWgsjz4
  • Options

so damn good.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I usually skip it, but I listened to it yesterday from start to finish, so many great songs!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877

Fucking amazing version!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Where is the version taken from? Thanks
  • Options

Where is the version taken from? Thanks

Live on Letterman, I believe
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,150
    When it came out, and still to this day I think it's the best album they've put out post yield. Love this album. Sure there's a song or two I'm not hugely fond it, but as a whole it's really really good.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Lemon juice on the meat and pit - liberally.

Hold the cilantro.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    At the Cincy show in 06 it seemed everyone knew every word of the Avocado songs... Not like that for the Lightning Bolt and Riot Act shows I saw. Could have been the Yayo but that felt like the most energetic concert I ever seen. The only time I been apart of that loud/energetic of a crowd was Pantera concerts at Louisville Gardens.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    ^^^
    The Avocado tour was amazing. Everyone was on their feet watching and singing along with the band with their eyes not through a cell phone.
    Times have changed with this generation. Unless a band has an immediate #1 out of the gates they are doomed.
    What a ride. Thanks Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Avocado too political. I don't like politics.
  • Options
    Mike's, Jeff's, and Ed's movement in that Letterman performance makes me want to rock out so hard. Awesome version
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,828
    I agree Mignelli14 - loved Mike and Ed in that performance. Magically!
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I can't, for the life of me, figure out, how Parachutes became such an underrated song. It´s clever, it´s melodic, it´s haunting. The melody/chord structures are intelligently written and it has such a nice flow. It´s a winner in my book!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    By the way, my ranking:

AWESOME: Marker in the sand, Parachutes, Come back, Army reserve
    GOOD: Life wasted, WWS, Wasted reprise, Unemployable, Inside job, Severed hand, Comatose
    SKIPPABLE: Big wave, Gone

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    CharlieP said:

I can't, for the life of me, figure out, how Parachutes became such an underrated song. It´s clever, it´s melodic, it´s haunting. The melody/chord structures are intelligently written and it has such a nice flow. It´s a winner in my book!

Honestly, it s just really really boring live.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

CharlieP said:

Honestly, it s just really really boring live.
    Not if you love the song.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    I really love many of the songs on this album but I can't ignore the horrendously painful, ear-bleeding inducing production. It's like the mastering was done by a handful of dudes locked in a control-room and weren't allowed to leave until they finished both the album and their keg of I.P.A. It is beyond me how a band as talented as Pearl Jam can put their final stamp of approval on this kind of production. Please remaster this thing!
  • Options
    EBowie said:

I really love many of the songs on this album but I can't ignore the horrendously painful, ear-bleeding inducing production. It's like the mastering was done by a handful of dudes locked in a control-room and weren't allowed to leave until they finished both the album and their keg of I.P.A. It is beyond me how a band as talented as Pearl Jam can put their final stamp of approval on this kind of production. Please remaster this thing!

I keep reading that, but I think it sounds good. It is definitely mastered loud, but I think it actually really suits this particular album, and am quite happy with how the vinyl sounds.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

EBowie said:

I keep reading that, but I think it sounds good. It is definitely mastered loud, but I think it actually really suits this particular album, and am quite happy with how the vinyl sounds.
    Perhaps it sounds good in certain contexts---like blasting through a boombox while playing beach volleyball or something. It reminds me of Californication---both fantastic albums song-wise that are really hurt by brutal production. Try listening to either of these with quality headphones and see if you make it past the second or third song.
  • Options
    EBowie said:

PJ_Soul said:

EBowie said:

Perhaps it sounds good in certain contexts---like blasting through a boombox while playing beach volleyball or something. It reminds me of Californication---both fantastic albums song-wise that are really hurt by brutal production. Try listening to either of these with quality headphones and see if you make it past the second or third song.
    I don't know, lol. I spin it in my living room through a good sound system. Sounds good! And I am reasonably discriminating. I just think the mastering fits the music in this case I guess.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

All good. It's just that, for me, I want a balanced mastering job not one that "fits the music". If I want it louder, I can turn up the volume on my stereo, etc. The loudness problem in modern production is very real and well-documented and I just find it a shame that one of PJ's albums fell victim to it.