Options

The Aging of Avocado

Comments

• Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    mcgruff10 said:

inside job might be one of their most boring songs live after what seems like a two hour intro

That intro is everything.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,745
    Man what I would give to hear Comeback and Inside Job live.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    PJNB said:

The Comeback played at Wrigley was just ridiculously awesome for several reasons. Like goosebump tear jerker stuff!. There are copies of it floating around, check it out.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844

mcgruff10 said:

inside job might be one of their most boring songs live after what seems like a two hour intro

That intro is everything.
    That intro is the same notes over and over and over again for what seems like an eternity. Plus the lyrics are real bad.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJNB said:

Inside Job was incredible at the Gorge.
    The scene, crowd everything.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Good album that was very much needed after the two previous flops. I wish they d play marker more live; on the flip side inside job might be one of their most boring songs live after what seems like a two hour intro. The 06 tour was great imo, I wish I could have caught more shows that year.

Now you're just trying to piss me off. :angry:
    Is that hard to do? Lol. I actually like avocado but you know my feelings on the riot act and binaural.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    To my ears its an excellent album and the last strong effort this band has produced in the studio. And that's after almost 10 years. Would love to see these guys get back on track with a strong LP.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998

My least favorite album but man Inside Job is amazing

This. I popped this CD in a few weeks ago and made myself list to every song. The only song that I like is Inside Job. Gone is listenable, as is Come Back. Other than that I really don't like this album
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Avocado... has balls
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I love the self titled record, I agree that it still really stands up as a solid album. LB was a huge improvement on BS, it would be great if the next record was closer to the Avocado vibe. The only song I skip is Come Back. There seems to be no real middle ground with this song, people either love it or hate it.

For the record, I really like Big Wave. It always reminds of Ed's Iconoclasts episode. How cool would it be to just be driving around with Ed and he says "Can I play you a new song?"

https://youtu.be/TByyg48uXbA?t=19m33s
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Phenomenal album. Definitely in my top 3 with Vs and Yield. Standouts are the first 6 and come back.

I wonder if the album was totally finished and sequenced without Gone and then rearranged after they decided to add it. Probably my least favorite song in there. It just doesn't sound like the rest to me.

If you're looking for great live versions of these, the shows in 2006 where they opened for Petty has some amazing versions.

And yes to whoever said that the end of marker in the sand is some of the finest pearl jam ever. The whole song really.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Probably my 2nd favorite album after Vs. Avocado came out when I was a sophomore in high school and was what really got me into Pearl Jam in the first place. Here I am 9 years and 18 shows later (don't get me started on the money spent on merch...)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Good album that was very much needed after the two previous flops. I wish they d play marker more live; on the flip side inside job might be one of their most boring songs live after what seems like a two hour intro. The 06 tour was great imo, I wish I could have caught more shows that year.

Is that hard to do? Lol. I actually like avocado but you know my feelings on the riot act and binaural.
    Lol, it actually is pretty hard to do, but I was just kidding!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    Awesome album! Can't beat albums 1 through 5 IMO but my favourite since yield for sure.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    PJ_Soul said:

I absolutely love this album. I don't like it as much as Binaural or Riot Act, but it's PJ's last great album IMO. I spin it all the time. I love every single song on this album (I LOVE parchutes, FTR ;) ), except for Big Wave. That song does nothing for me. I don't hate it. It's just a total blank. But the rest of S/T is awesome.

My feelings exactly except I have a hard time with Unemployable. Doesn't sit right with me. And Gone never reaches the heights it did the first time Ed played it at Borgata. The full band version is a bit of a drag.

Binaural rules.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

ckravitz said:

Great album and one that I definitely feel has really taken its place among the greats by this band. The more I have spun it, the better it has gotten.

As an aside, the last 1:25 of Marker is the best jamming, steering wheel slamming outro of any song in the catalog

I agree with you sir!
    I have listened to that part hundreds of time really loud in the car, rewind listen, rewind listen.
    It feels like the song just breaks away into a feel good untouchable rhythm.
    It gives me the same feeling as the outro on LB. after the "problems they won't die with you, yeah, yeah."

Wow. You guys nailed it. Love Marker and the end gets me going every time. Especially in the car!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    edited November 2015
    It took some time to love it, but now i thing its a great album..
    Severed hand and Inside job are my gems..and also was my first tour..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol, it actually is pretty hard to do, but I was just kidding!
    Oh I know you were kidding!!!!!
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,621
    edited October 2015

My copy has aged beautifully.Looks and sounds as amazing as ever.

Post edited by URthekey on
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    my2hands said:

Avocado... has balls

big
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    IMO, every album post Yield is kind of 50/50 for me. I love half, and would rather discard of the other half.

Life Wasted- the hook annoys me. Ruins the whole song. That chorus is exactly what Eddie was trying to avoid during Vs. and makes me cringe.

Worldwide Suicide- Why was this the first single? Who are they trying to appeal to? This, like the Fixer and Mind Your Manners are what make me embarrassed to say that I am obsessed with PJ to someone who only hears them on the radio. Hey guys, your no longer in your angst-filled 20s and your mid- to slow tempo stuff doesn't feel as forced as your over-the-top fast/hard stuff.

Comatose- See above for WWS. Trying to hard to rock. Other tracks (like Marker) feel more natural to me.

Severed Hand- Decent music, but some of the lyrics make me cringe: "Tried to walk found a severed hand/ recognized it from the wedding band." TF???

Marker in the Sand- Amazing track. Great overall, especially the uplifting finish. This is a gem.

Parachutes- Amazing track. Beautiful.

Unemployable- Decent song. Really unique chorus with backing vocals. Like it.

Big Wave- What is with that chorus?!!! Please no!!!!!

Gone- After the first boring 50 seconds, it picks up and I like it.

Wasted Reprise- Confuses me... Meh.

Army Reserve- Like it. Don't love it, don't hate it. Disappointed that they add jams to all of their old songs but none of their new songs. Why can't this outro get some middle of RVM-esque treatment?

Come Back- Beautiful. Sounds like it could've been written, recorded and released as an oldie.

Inside Job- Great parts, but overall lacks continuity. Just a bit too long. Trying to do too much? I like it, it's grown on me. But Eddie really sings some of the lines really odd on the studio version like after "all my hopes and anger" the way he says "everything." Just goofy. I don't get that.

• Options
    Lots of love for this album. It's very blah to me. Maybe I'm still not in the "right place" yet to enjoy this?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,839
    I love this album, but Parachutes ranks as one of my least fave PJ tracks.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Least favorite record by a mile. I hate Gone and Inside Job more than any other song by the band.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,885

I love this album, but Parachutes ranks as one of my least fave PJ tracks.

This. It's like a hazy day at the circus.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954

I was spinning self-titled this morning (as I do a few times a month) and reflecting on how well this album has stood the test of time with me.

It's the only post-2000 studio album that I listen to from start-to-finish on a regular basis (Backspacer comes in a distant second), and it seems like just as the satisfaction of the rediscovery of a particular track begins to wane, another soon rises up to take its place.

I still have a lot of love for the uptempo rockers - Life Wasted, Severed Hand, and Marker in the Sand, in particular - but the real treasures (in my opinion) are Parachutes (why this doesn't get more love, I'll never know), Army Reserve (ditto), Come Back (I understand it's a love it or hate it song, but I love it), and especially Inside Job, which I've always considered to be one of the band's greatest achievements. It still feels as epic and powerful and meaningful to me as it did the first time I heard it.

The only track I ever have the urge to skip is Big Wave, mostly because it feels out of place.

Just curious to know how this album resonates to other fans, 9+ years after its release, as it resides as a top 5 PJ album (maybe top 3) to me.

great album....my top 5 in no order

Severed Hand
    Marker
    Inside Job
    Gone
    Army Reserve
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    avenathusavenathus Connecticut Posts: 29
    Severed Hand was the first PJ song I heard live in-person, and I had this album on heavy rotation after a very rough post-high school breakup, so it holds a VERY special place in my heart. I love every song... even Big Wave, partly because it's one of my little sister's favorites so that just makes me happy. Worldwide Suicide, Inside Job and Life Wasted are a few of my all-time favorite tracks. This album and the tour just came at the right time for me and I'll always love it!
    "This is for Manchester, this is for Ellington, for New Britain, for Danbury... and all the liquor store owners in Colchester."
    ---
    Hartford 2006 | Hartford 2008 | Philly 4 2009 | Hartford 2010 | Boston 2010 | Hartford 2011 (EV) | Philly 2012 | Worcester 2013 | Hartford 2013 | Philly 1 2016 | Philly 2 2016 | Fenway 1 2016 | Barcelona 2018 | Fenway 1 2018 | MSG 2020 | MSG 2022 | Camden 2022 | Chicago 1 2023 | Chicago 2 2023
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Still really enjoy this album today- and agree with a lot of posts- wish Marker and Inside Job were played more.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

IMO, every album post Yield is kind of 50/50 for me. I love half, and would rather discard of the other half.

Life Wasted- the hook annoys me. Ruins the whole song. That chorus is exactly what Eddie was trying to avoid during Vs. and makes me cringe.

Worldwide Suicide- Why was this the first single? Who are they trying to appeal to? This, like the Fixer and Mind Your Manners are what make me embarrassed to say that I am obsessed with PJ to someone who only hears them on the radio. Hey guys, your no longer in your angst-filled 20s and your mid- to slow tempo stuff doesn't feel as forced as your over-the-top fast/hard stuff.

Comatose- See above for WWS. Trying to hard to rock. Other tracks (like Marker) feel more natural to me.

Severed Hand- Decent music, but some of the lyrics make me cringe: "Tried to walk found a severed hand/ recognized it from the wedding band." TF???

Marker in the Sand- Amazing track. Great overall, especially the uplifting finish. This is a gem.

Parachutes- Amazing track. Beautiful.

Unemployable- Decent song. Really unique chorus with backing vocals. Like it.

Big Wave- What is with that chorus?!!! Please no!!!!!

Gone- After the first boring 50 seconds, it picks up and I like it.

Wasted Reprise- Confuses me... Meh.

Army Reserve- Like it. Don't love it, don't hate it. Disappointed that they add jams to all of their old songs but none of their new songs. Why can't this outro get some middle of RVM-esque treatment?

Come Back- Beautiful. Sounds like it could've been written, recorded and released as an oldie.

Inside Job- Great parts, but overall lacks continuity. Just a bit too long. Trying to do too much? I like it, it's grown on me. But Eddie really sings some of the lines really odd on the studio version like after "all my hopes and anger" the way he says "everything." Just goofy. I don't get that.

Sums it up pretty good!
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    I love this album. Army Reserve is my PJ white wale. Would LOVE to see it
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas