Options

The Aging of Avocado

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited December 2015
    EBowie said:

All good. It's just that, for me, I want a balanced mastering job not one that "fits the music". If I want it louder, I can turn up the volume on my stereo, etc. The loudness problem in modern production is very real and well-documented and I just find it a shame that one of PJ's albums fell victim to it.

Yeah, the loudness wars are definitely a problem. I guess I feel lucky that Avocado benefited from it as far as my ears are concerned, lol. In a wider discussion though, PJ's mastering does suck. Backspacer, IMO, definitely DID suffer from the mastering, and so did LB. Both sounds like shit in their own special ways, haha. Although LB isn't THAT bad - it suffers most from actually being too quiet, not too loud. At least you can take care of most of that by cranking the volume. Backspacer was just like being beat over the head with shiny pots and pans. :lol: Not to mentioned the crappy first 3 reissues, which all sound super dull.
    But anyway, Avocado... thread integrity. Great album. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Yeah its just really unfortunate that loudness became the method for competing in the commercial landscape. I do agree that Avocado is a great album.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    the build up on Severed Hand is amazing and the angst in Comeback makes my eyes sweat
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    TL170678 said:

At the Cincy show in 06 it seemed everyone knew every word of the Avocado songs... Not like that for the Lightning Bolt and Riot Act shows I saw. Could have been the Yayo but that felt like the most energetic concert I ever seen. The only time I been apart of that loud/energetic of a crowd was Pantera concerts at Louisville Gardens.

"Could have been the yayo"

lol
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,538
    The fact that no one has posted a picture of a rotten avocado makes me very happy. Have loved this album since day 1.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    totally agree!
    foodboy said:

one word.....masterpiece.

• Options
    Why they don't play Inside Job atleast more often is a mystery to me. Did they wear it out on the avocado tour and get tired of playing it? Did the song lose meaning to them? It's easily a top 3 PJ song for me.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Top tip. To stop avocados aging - Sprinkle cut, mashed or sliced fruit with lemon or lime juice or another acidic agent and place in an air-tight container or tightly covered clear plastic wrap.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Man do i have new appreciation for this album as a whole and it has jumped up the ranks in my opinion....aged gracefully...beautiful piece of art

this may be a top 3 album for me top to bottom after all these years

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    joshualukin69joshualukin69 Indy Posts: 33
    Take Gone out and add in Cold Confession in its place and this album would be crazy good. #hategonelovebigwave
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '98
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '00
    Deer Creek, IN June, '03
    Deer Creek, IN May, '10
    US Bank, Cincy OH, Oct '14
    Rupp Arena, Lexington KY, April '16
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 20th
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 22nd

I need Hard to Imagine once, live, I'll do things I'm not proud of to make this happen ;)
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Nice bump, I think I'll give this a listen after Roy Orbison.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Take Gone out and add in Cold Confession in its place and this album would be crazy good. #hategonelovebigwave

how Cold Confession got left off ill never know...love that song and would have made the album perfect
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    How to keep an Avocado from going bad: Place the LP in your record shelf and remove periodically to listen...

I still love this album completely. It was such a magical crux between artistic expression and social consciousness.

And the 2006 tour was filled with so much amazing energy and crazy special moments...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Great record that is 10 years old. 10 years. Damn.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Fantastic album - it has only gotten better with age for me. I really liked it when it came out, but now I really love it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Avocado is the truth.

I'm shocked about the lack of love for Gone. I've always enjoyed it. Was a highlight of the Moline show
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited November 2016
    Their last good album for me. If there is a weak spot in its skin, its Big Wave. I'd slot Comatose in its spot and throw Cold Confession in the #3 slot.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

Their last good album for me. If there is a weak spot in its skin, its Big Wave. I'd slot Comatose in its spot and throw Cold Confession in the #3 slot.

That would be perfect. No idea why Cold Confession was left off of this album, but I listen to that song all the time.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

I totally agree - Big Wave is the only song on the album that I wish weren't on there. I think it's because I really don't give a shit about that big wave. I don't surf, lol.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    edited November 2016
    Man. I love big wave. Always a highlight when it comes on. Parachutes is my lowlight. I think the melody is awful.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I love to sing parschutes as loud as I can. .
  • Options

I love to sing parschutes as loud as I can. .

ahh my ears!
    :rofl:
  • Options

Man. I love big wave. Always a highlight when it comes on. Parachutes is my lowlight. I think the melody is awful.

And I love Parachutes - it's my favorite song on the album, especially because of that charming, quirky melody, haha.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Unemployable is the only song I have to force myself to listen to on this album. One of their strongest from start to finish.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    joshualukin69joshualukin69 Indy Posts: 33
    Can we also talk about the lack of live love for that Album?

I've been to 4 post Avocado shows and only heard 4 songs live! (Comatose, Army Reserve, Parachutes, Inside Job). Hook a brotha up!

Deer Creek, IN Aug '98
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '00
    Deer Creek, IN June, '03
    Deer Creek, IN May, '10
    US Bank, Cincy OH, Oct '14
    Rupp Arena, Lexington KY, April '16
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 20th
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 22nd

I need Hard to Imagine once, live, I'll do things I'm not proud of to make this happen ;)
  • Options
    Alright. I'll be the bad guy. This is, next to Backspacer, their weakest effort. WWS, Comatose, Severed Hand, Unemployable, Big Wave, Gone and Inside Job just do absolutely nothing for me. Especially Inside Job...flush. The songs I didn't mention though are really, really fucking good. When the record came out, I enjoyed it very much. Over the last 10 years though...it has not aged well. At all.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903

Alright. I'll be the bad guy. This is, next to Backspacer, their weakest effort. WWS, Comatose, Severed Hand, Unemployable, Big Wave, Gone and Inside Job just do absolutely nothing for me. Especially Inside Job...flush. The songs I didn't mention though are really, really fucking good. When the record came out, I enjoyed it very much. Over the last 10 years though...it has not aged well. At all.

There are definitely some rough patches on that record. To me, unemployable, parachutes, inside job, and gone are just so damn boring live. I love Wws, life wasted, marker and severed hand. Big wave, army reserve and comatose are just meh.
    Fucking incredible supporting tour, and a good response to their weakest two records. I would give the tour a B+ and the record a C+.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

There are definitely some rough patches on that record. To me, unemployable, parachutes, inside job, and gone are just so damn boring live. I love Wws, life wasted, marker and severed hand. Big wave, army reserve and comatose are just meh.
    Fucking incredible supporting tour, and a good response to their weakest two records. I would give the tour a B+ and the record a C+.
    Now that I have finally stopped laughing from someone saying they like to sing parachutes as loud as they can (It kept me going at work today too. I kept picturing what each person in my office would look and sound like doing that.
    Comatose is worth the shreds the Mike delivers - there is some sick guitar going on.
    Big Wave - meh I agree but at times it's a break from the others
    Army Reserve - The haunting lyrics are very, well it just makes that song sad
    This album is just incredible unlike Riot Act.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903

mcgruff10 said:

Now that I have finally stopped laughing from someone saying they like to sing parachutes as loud as they can (It kept me going at work today too. I kept picturing what each person in my office would look and sound like doing that.
    Comatose is worth the shreds the Mike delivers - there is some sick guitar going on.
    Big Wave - meh I agree but at times it's a break from the others
    Army Reserve - The haunting lyrics are very, well it just makes that song sad
    This album is just incredible unlike Riot Act.
    You are right about mike s playing on comatose, I m just not a fan on how ed sings this song. It s almost annoying lol.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Gone is the best song on the album and the one that has stood the test of time the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArslVcMLeQ8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"