Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

daily caller. Got it. :wink:

The NOAA altered the data to produce the results they wanted. This is undeniable and is absolutely unscientific. It also moves us further away from understanding to what extent man's actions affect climate.
    You certainly are consistent and relentless, BS. Enjoy the nice warm weather this summer.

I'm hoping for it. Heading out to Winnipeg Beach soon where it looks like it has finally warmed up.
    Bring you butt to Houston in August and you'll change your tune. Guaranteed. Ha.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if big oil admitting to global warming isn't enough for you skeptics ... then the fact they are asking for a carbon tax should ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/big-oil-to-rachel-notley-bring-on-a-carbon-tax-1.3084357
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    polaris_x said:

if big oil admitting to global warming isn't enough for you skeptics ... then the fact they are asking for a carbon tax should ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/big-oil-to-rachel-notley-bring-on-a-carbon-tax-1.3084357

Other oil execs have talked about the realities of global warming in past as well. I don't have any links right off hand but I know this has come up before.

I'm not sure why anyone plays skeptic on this any more. Is it just a game? I don't know.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

Other oil execs have talked about the realities of global warming in past as well. I don't have any links right off hand but I know this has come up before.

I'm not sure why anyone plays skeptic on this any more. Is it just a game? I don't know.
    It's a revolt against liberal mindsets. They can't give on any kind of environmentalism, then they might have to look at evolution and give reason and science a fair shake. They can't give an inch. If liberals drenched their ideals in platitudes about freedom conservatives would turn to abhorinf freedom.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

Justification. Human nature.

As to oil companies, some may be dabbling more in natural gas so supporting carbon tax giving competitive advantage. Follow the money.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

It's a revolt against liberal mindsets. They can't give on any kind of environmentalism, then they might have to look at evolution and give reason and science a fair shake. They can't give an inch. If liberals drenched their ideals in platitudes about freedom conservatives would turn to abhorinf freedom.
    True true.

Think many are intimidated by smarts so gravitate towards simplistic animal instinctual messages used by smart corporate propagandists to further their agendas.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,923
    Not gonna lie...this is terrifying.

Polar bears are now eating dolphins lured north by warming water.

Scientists for the first time observed the bears feasting on white-beaked dolphins in Svalbard in the Norwegian Arctic. They theorize the dolphins, coaxed northward by warmer waters, were trapped under the ice and killed by the bears when coming up for air through a small hole, they wrote in a new study.

“This is the first record of this species as polar bear prey,” the authors led by the Norwegian Polar Institute’s Jon Aars said in the paper published this month in the Polar Research journal. “The warming of the Arctic is significantly changing the ecosystem and relations between species.”

Climate change is rendering increasing areas of the Arctic ice-free during summer months. While the dolphins often visit Svalbard in warmer months, they haven’t been reported that far north in early spring. The researchers observed seven more dolphin carcasses near the area in the following months.

One of the bears was so skinny his ribs were visible through the fur, they said. After the bear had eaten one dolphin, it covered up another with snow to save for later.

As the Arctic warms amid changing climate and ice sheets thin, dolphins could become a more regular meal. For the bears, that’s good news as access to their more usual food supply, seals, may further decline because of the milder weather.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-12/polar-bears-now-eating-dolphins-as-world-waters-warm

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Jimmy , evolution. Yes we are a part of evolution. Oh how the world will be different in a thousand years. Mans dominance of species will change the earth dramatically in such a short period of time.

But let's fuck and have 20 fucking miracle babies. Not sure how many Duggars there are if my count is off.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Not gonna lie...this is terrifying.

Polar bears are now eating dolphins lured north by warming water.

Scientists for the first time observed the bears feasting on white-beaked dolphins in Svalbard in the Norwegian Arctic. They theorize the dolphins, coaxed northward by warmer waters, were trapped under the ice and killed by the bears when coming up for air through a small hole, they wrote in a new study.

“This is the first record of this species as polar bear prey,” the authors led by the Norwegian Polar Institute’s Jon Aars said in the paper published this month in the Polar Research journal. “The warming of the Arctic is significantly changing the ecosystem and relations between species.”

Climate change is rendering increasing areas of the Arctic ice-free during summer months. While the dolphins often visit Svalbard in warmer months, they haven’t been reported that far north in early spring. The researchers observed seven more dolphin carcasses near the area in the following months.

One of the bears was so skinny his ribs were visible through the fur, they said. After the bear had eaten one dolphin, it covered up another with snow to save for later.

As the Arctic warms amid changing climate and ice sheets thin, dolphins could become a more regular meal. For the bears, that’s good news as access to their more usual food supply, seals, may further decline because of the milder weather.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-12/polar-bears-now-eating-dolphins-as-world-waters-warm

I would say this is just the "tip of the iceberg" but, of course, that saying will soon become antiquated. These biological/environmental changes we are seeing now are just the beginning. We have irreversibly changed the world (which Bill McKibben refers to now as "Eaarth") to our own and other species detriment. We let go our chance to stop anthropogenic global warming. Now humans will have to adapt and very likely will do so in much fewer numbers.

Callen, fucking is good. Fucking and having a baby may be a normal human instinct (and I have very good friends who have chosen to do so and have no problem with that because we need some good human parents to keep us going and I celebrate those births and wish them all the best) but at this point having more than one or maybe two at most is probably not such a good idea. I chose the nice round number of zero myself and helped raise a few nephews instead. That was a cool parenting experience. I hope more people who get the urge to be parents will explore options like limiting to one scratch baby and adopt the rest.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I simply refuse to believe that humans have caused global warming.
    I further state that any human who is lucky enough to experience life should pass on the favour.
    One, two, three, twenty, - whatever amount you as a human want to produce just fucking do it.
    The world is over in 7billion years.
  • Options

I further state that any human who is lucky enough to experience life should pass on the favour.
    One, two, three, twenty, - whatever amount you as a human want to produce just fucking do it.

I have no reason to assume you are stupid so I have to believe this is sarcasm lol
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2015
    rgambs said:

I have no reason to assume you are stupid so I have to believe this is sarcasm lol
    For some assumption or other I am the sarcastic guy on this forum.
    I am only upholding my end to be able to converse on the forum.
    Glad to see you're back in fighting spirit. What's set you back? A kid? bah

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

rgambs said:

For some assumption or other I am the sarcastic guy on this forum.
    I am only upholding my end to be able to converse on the forum.
    Glad to see you're back in fighting spirit. What's set you back? A kid? bah

Little snot rocket softened me up lol
  • Options

This is such a weak yet understand convenient and oh so comforting position to take. Just shun responsibility, so easy.

Humans are obliterating the species of this earth let alone completely ignoring the carbon we 're admitting.

The movie "Idiocracy" hits the nail on the coffin/world.

We are a virus with shoes and the ignorant mass breeders are an especially evil strain.

Easter island here we come.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    callen said:

This is such a weak yet understand convenient and oh so comforting position to take. Just shun responsibility, so easy.

Humans are obliterating the species of this earth let alone completely ignoring the carbon we 're admitting.

The movie "Idiocracy" hits the nail on the coffin/world.

We are a virus with shoes and the ignorant mass breeders are an especially evil strain.

Easter island here we come.
    Sad that this is the most prophetic movie. It's not just politics that factors in. *looks at Kartrashians and top 40 music*
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Want to attend a loon convention? smh

LINK

Echo chamber of outrage: Ars attends a climate skeptics’ summit
    A political buffet offering everything but science

by Scott K. Johnson - Jul 15, 2015 8:00pm CST

Let's get conferencing.
    Scott K. Johnson

“I accept that the planet has warmed,” said conservative columnist Mark Steyn from the podium. “And I rejoice that it is warm.”

Steyn was one of many speakers at the libertarian Heartland Institute's 10th “International Conference on Climate Change,” a major event for climate science contrarians. The two-day conference, held in mid-June at the classy Washington Court Hotel just a few blocks from the US Capitol, had all the trappings of an academic conference, but you wouldn’t mistake it for a Geological Society of America meeting. Tables set up outside the hotel’s main ballroom hosted conservative advocacy groups and think tanks like CFACT, the Ayn Rand Institute, and the Heritage Foundation (which attracted visitors with a life-size cardboard cut-out of Ronald Reagan). The audience contained some meteorologists but seemed mostly composed of retired couples with an interest in politics, along with a handful of state legislators.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Want to attend a loon convention? smh

LINK

Echo chamber of outrage: Ars attends a climate skeptics’ summit
    A political buffet offering everything but science

by Scott K. Johnson - Jul 15, 2015 8:00pm CST

Let's get conferencing.
    Scott K. Johnson

“I accept that the planet has warmed,” said conservative columnist Mark Steyn from the podium. “And I rejoice that it is warm.”

Steyn was one of many speakers at the libertarian Heartland Institute's 10th “International Conference on Climate Change,” a major event for climate science contrarians. The two-day conference, held in mid-June at the classy Washington Court Hotel just a few blocks from the US Capitol, had all the trappings of an academic conference, but you wouldn’t mistake it for a Geological Society of America meeting. Tables set up outside the hotel’s main ballroom hosted conservative advocacy groups and think tanks like CFACT, the Ayn Rand Institute, and the Heritage Foundation (which attracted visitors with a life-size cardboard cut-out of Ronald Reagan). The audience contained some meteorologists but seemed mostly composed of retired couples with an interest in politics, along with a handful of state legislators.

Like Neil Young said (with more than a hint of sarcasm), "Enjoy the nice weather, folks!"

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    edited July 2015
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

It's telling that all deniers know how to do is insult when facts are shown. I called some idiot out on Jesse Ventura's Facebook page yesterday for his anti CC bull while at the same time his hypocrisy for liking every fascist nutcase on Fox News and he just does the "I know you are but what am I, derp!" name calling meme.

It's actually been the exact opposite on this thread.
    Please show me where I insulted you here, BS. I've tried to be reasonably civil. I'm sorry you see it differently.

When all else fail, humor may save us yet:

That is my exact argument when I debate a climate change denier. I mean, what exactly is their problem with doing absolutely everything we can to keep the environment clean??? If they don't want to believe 99% of scientists about the actual climate change, why can't they just get on board with all the responsible environmental actions taken because of it?? Either way, it's good for everyone. Yet every CC denier seems to reject doing what's best to have clean air and water, some natural beauty for future generations to enjoy, and to reduce our economic dependence on oil. It's fucking idiotic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    ^^^This. We know for a fact that humans are doing these things:

And this

filmsforaction.org/articles/what-humans-are-really-doing-to-our-planet-in-19-jawdropping-images/?utm_source=SH&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=SustainableHuman

Can't be bad at all to take of our planet!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

And this

filmsforaction.org/articles/what-humans-are-really-doing-to-our-planet-in-19-jawdropping-images/?utm_source=SH&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=SustainableHuman

Mother Capitalism trumps Mother Earth. There must be constant expansion or the system will implode. Never mind that we have enough to feed, clothe, and house everybody already, if a few jobs are lost and a billionaire is reduced to a millionaire the sky will fall.
  • Options
    OK, I know you're all thinking, "Why is he dredging up this tired old thread yet again? We get the point, ma-a-a-an!"

Ah, fear not friendly rail riders, this one's a hoot! Look at what Carly Fiorina has to say on the topic. (Faceplams are both welcome and appropriate, haha!)

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/21/9186313/carly-fiorina-climate-wrong

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

And this

Mother Capitalism trumps Mother Earth. There must be constant expansion or the system will implode. Never mind that we have enough to feed, clothe, and house everybody already, if a few jobs are lost and a billionaire is reduced to a millionaire the sky will fall.
    That is true. I am always perplexed when I hear on the financial news that "the numbers are disappointing because economic growth slowed to only 3% in the last quarter" or whatever they are constantly saying. I'm always thinking, HUH?? Who are these idiots who think that the economy can just grow and grow and grow and grow?? It's impossible. If that is the expectation and even the requirement for capitalism to work, then yeah, it's doomed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

And this

That is true. I am always perplexed when I hear on the financial news that "the numbers are disappointing because economic growth slowed to only 3% in the last quarter" or whatever they are constantly saying. I'm always thinking, HUH?? Who are these idiots who think that the economy can just grow and grow and grow and grow?? It's impossible. If that is the expectation and even the requirement for capitalism to work, then yeah, it's doomed.
    It has been calculated that each year by some time in August, last month, humans world wide have consumed what the earth gives us to sustain our numbers for that year (called, variously, "Ecological Debt Day" or "Earth Overshoot Day"). In other words, everything we consume after that date until the end of the year comes out of future years. Do these "growth" fanatics understand this? If they do, do they care? Abbey once said, "Growth is the ideology of the cancer cell".

It's true, we all consume, but to support the idea of increased consumption? That's crazy. Literally crazy.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    So friggen China can implement cap and trade, but we can't...yikes.
  • Options
    Wow! Talk about some unpleasant effects from global warming!

http://news.yahoo.com/intolerable-unimaginable-heat-forecast-persian-gulf-162008639.html

An intolerable unimaginable heat forecast for Persian Gulf

"WASHINGTON (AP) — If carbon dioxide emissions continue at their current pace, by the end of century parts of the Persian Gulf will sometimes be just too hot for the human body to tolerate, a new study says.

How hot? The heat index — which combines heat and humidity — may hit 165 to 170 degrees (74 to 77 Celsius) for at least six hours, according to numerous computer simulations in the new study. That's so hot that the human body can't get rid of heat. The elderly and ill are hurt most by current heat waves, but the future is expected to be so hot that healthy, fit people would be endangered, health experts say.

"You can go to a wet sauna and put the temperature up to 35 (Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit) or so. You can bear it for a while, now think of that at an extended exposure" of six or more hours, said study co-author Elfatih Eltahir, an MIT environmental engineering professor.

While humans have been around, Earth has not seen that type of prolonged, oppressive combination of heat and humidity, Eltahir said. But with the unique geography and climate of the Persian Gulf and increased warming projected if heat-trapping gas emissions continue to rise at current rates, it will happen every decade or so by the end of the century, according to the study published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change.

This would be the type of heat that would make deadly heat wave in Europe in 2003 that killed more than 70,000 people "look like a refreshing day or event," said study co-author Jeremy Pal of Loyola Marymount University

It would still be rare, and cities such as Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha wouldn't quite be uninhabitable, thanks to air conditioning. But for people living and working outside or those with no air conditioning, it would be intolerable, said Eltahir and Pal. While Mecca won't be quite as hot, the heat will likely still cause many deaths during the annual hajj pilgrimage, Eltahir said.

"Some of the scariest prospects from a changing clime involve conditions completely outside the range of human experience," Carnegie Institute for Science climate researcher Chris Field, who wasn't part of the study, wrote in an email. "If we don't limit climate change to avoid extreme heat or mugginess, the people in these regions will likely need to find other places to live."

Said Dr. Howard Frumkin, dean of the University of Washington school of public health, who wasn't part of the research: "When the ambient temperatures are extremely high, as projected in this paper, then exposed people can and do die. The implication s of this paper for the Gulf region are frightening."

But if the world limits future heat-trapping gas emissions — even close to the amount pledged recently by countries around the world ahead of climate talks later this year in Paris — that intolerable level of heat can be avoided, Eltahir said."

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    brianlux said:

http://news.yahoo.com/intolerable-unimaginable-heat-forecast-persian-gulf-162008639.html

"WASHINGTON (AP) — If carbon dioxide emissions continue at their current pace, by the end of century parts of the Persian Gulf will sometimes be just too hot for the human body to tolerate, a new study says.

How hot? The heat index — which combines heat and humidity — may hit 165 to 170 degrees (74 to 77 Celsius) for at least six hours, according to numerous computer simulations in the new study. That's so hot that the human body can't get rid of heat. The elderly and ill are hurt most by current heat waves, but the future is expected to be so hot that healthy, fit people would be endangered, health experts say.

"You can go to a wet sauna and put the temperature up to 35 (Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit) or so. You can bear it for a while, now think of that at an extended exposure" of six or more hours, said study co-author Elfatih Eltahir, an MIT environmental engineering professor.

While humans have been around, Earth has not seen that type of prolonged, oppressive combination of heat and humidity, Eltahir said. But with the unique geography and climate of the Persian Gulf and increased warming projected if heat-trapping gas emissions continue to rise at current rates, it will happen every decade or so by the end of the century, according to the study published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change.

This would be the type of heat that would make deadly heat wave in Europe in 2003 that killed more than 70,000 people "look like a refreshing day or event," said study co-author Jeremy Pal of Loyola Marymount University

It would still be rare, and cities such as Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha wouldn't quite be uninhabitable, thanks to air conditioning. But for people living and working outside or those with no air conditioning, it would be intolerable, said Eltahir and Pal. While Mecca won't be quite as hot, the heat will likely still cause many deaths during the annual hajj pilgrimage, Eltahir said.

"Some of the scariest prospects from a changing clime involve conditions completely outside the range of human experience," Carnegie Institute for Science climate researcher Chris Field, who wasn't part of the study, wrote in an email. "If we don't limit climate change to avoid extreme heat or mugginess, the people in these regions will likely need to find other places to live."

Said Dr. Howard Frumkin, dean of the University of Washington school of public health, who wasn't part of the research: "When the ambient temperatures are extremely high, as projected in this paper, then exposed people can and do die. The implication s of this paper for the Gulf region are frightening."

But if the world limits future heat-trapping gas emissions — even close to the amount pledged recently by countries around the world ahead of climate talks later this year in Paris — that intolerable level of heat can be avoided, Eltahir said."

David Roberts, a self-described climate hawk, explains why you probably shouldn't worry:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/23/9604120/climate-models-uncertainty

If this guy can recognize the uncertainty in the models maybe we all should.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

David Roberts, a self-described climate hawk, explains why you probably shouldn't worry:

I'm not worried for me, I'll probably be dead before the shit hits the fan. But I am concerned for my kids and their kids. These climate denials have been addressed here already. I knew I should have let this pass.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

I'm not worried for me, I'll probably be dead before the shit hits the fan. But I am concerned for my kids and their kids. These climate denials have been addressed here already. I knew I should have let this pass.
    David Roberts believes we are doomed. He just has a problem with some of the models.
    http://grist.org/climate-change/climate-change-is-simple-we-do-something-or-were-screwed/

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    tim flannery's new book sings some hope ... sadly, that hope to me is misguided as the suffering associated with global warming will be significant ..