Options

Global warming

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Free said:

Lets watch Hillary go off on a Greenpeace activist when they ask about Hillary being tied to the fossil fuels industry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dC4Pvm6Oj4A

http://fair.org/home/did-sanders-lie-about-clintons-oil-money-npr-factchecker-cant-be-bothered-to-check/

Damn, she just about poked the poor in the chin with that finger!

Hillary can't handle the truth!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

Free said:

Lets watch Hillary go off on a Greenpeace activist when they ask about Hillary being tied to the fossil fuels industry.

http://fair.org/home/did-sanders-lie-about-clintons-oil-money-npr-factchecker-cant-be-bothered-to-check/

The truth makes her angry! And she's ugly when she's angry.
  • Options
    Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

The truth makes her angry! And she's ugly when she's angry.
    Trump is angry. I wonder from what truths though?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Clinton, says Greenpeace campaign director Molly Dorozenski, is "conflating Greenpeace with the Sanders campaign, but we are an independent organization. Earlier this year, we asked both Secretary Clinton and Senator Sanders to sign our pledge to #fixdemocracy, and while Sanders signed, Clinton did not."

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/04/01/greenpeace-sanders-hold-ground-against-clinton-fossil-fuel-feud
  • Options
    ^^^ The article linked by Free is well worth checking out as well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,012
    brianlux said:

polaris_x said:
    I caught a glimpse of what I believe was a Tesla the other day. The license plate read "NOE OIL".
    You'll still need oil to make that vehicle...But still a step in the right direction.
  • Options

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:
    I caught a glimpse of what I believe was a Tesla the other day. The license plate read "NOE OIL".
    You'll still need oil to make that vehicle...But still a step in the right direction.
    I'm glad you pointed that out. It was my first thought as well. It also requires energy to recharge an electric and not all energy, as we well know, is clean energy. But yes, it is a step in the right direction for sure. The ultimate solutions of course begin with reduced driving, shared rides, public transport, more walkable city centers, and reduced population.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:
    That's the most compelling reason supporting the sustainable energy movement.
    The greatest folly of history will be that we burned all our oil for energy and didn't save any for the thousands of uses that are vital to modern medicine, science, and comfortable living. Fossil fuels are magical chemistry materials that won't easily be replicated.
    We can't make MRI machines out of sunlight, we can't turn wind into lifesaving dialysis machines, and we won't be able convert tidal, geothermal, or wave energy into polymers and alloys.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the thing about tesla is that beyond expediting the common sense means of transportation ... they are also putting a wrench into what has been a fraud all along ... which is the auto industry ... how is it that with their second car - they managed to score the highest consumer ratings report on a vehicle ever!? ... for the longest time the auto industry has been a failure in so many ways - primarily, creating an industry that survives on intentionally poor design and manufacturing ...

• Options
    polaris_x said:

the thing about tesla is that beyond expediting the common sense means of transportation ... they are also putting a wrench into what has been a fraud all along ... which is the auto industry ... how is it that with their second car - they managed to score the highest consumer ratings report on a vehicle ever!? ... for the longest time the auto industry has been a failure in so many ways - primarily, creating an industry that survives on intentionally poor design and manufacturing ...

When we purchased our last vehicle (one I expect to have for at least 300K miles) we read all the consumer reports we could get our hands on. That vehicle happens to be a Prius. I worked an extra side job for 4 years to help make that purchase because it means a lot to me to make a major purchase that is as durable as possible. The lowest rated we read about were for (surprisingly) Mercedes and (not surprisingly) Hummer. In fact Hummer had the lowest rating of all. A total piece of crap. So good for Tesla for going quality.

I had a friend in the auto industry who once told me, "With our current technology, there is no reason the auto industry cannot make a long lasting automobile. Every auto should could be made to last it's owner a life-time". He told me that in 1972.

• Options
    brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

When we purchased our last vehicle (one I expect to have for at least 300K miles) we read all the consumer reports we could get our hands on. That vehicle happens to be a Prius. I worked an extra side job for 4 years to help make that purchase because it means a lot to me to make a major purchase that is as durable as possible. The lowest rated we read about were for (surprisingly) Mercedes and (not surprisingly) Hummer. In fact Hummer had the lowest rating of all. A total piece of crap. So good for Tesla for going quality.

I had a friend in the auto industry who once told me, "With our current technology, there is no reason the auto industry cannot make a long lasting automobile. Every auto should could be made to last it's owner a life-time". He told me that in 1972.
    my partner's civic has over 512k km on it ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

my partner's civic has over 512k km on it ...
    Nice! I'm counting on 300K being the minimum I get out of the Prius. Who knows, maybe I'll go before it does!

• Options
    really!? ... like how is this NEW news!? ... been saying this for over a decade ...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/fever-federal-report-says-global-warming-making-us-015640507.html
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    polaris_x said:

really!? ... like how is this NEW news!? ... been saying this for over a decade ...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/fever-federal-report-says-global-warming-making-us-015640507.html

You people just don't get it!

There is NO such thing as global warming

Anyone with half a brain knows that it's just a liberal plot to.....

Raise your taxes
    Abort your babies
    Take your guns
    Create more government
    Legalize gay marriage
    Allow more brown people across the borders
    Legalize Marijuana
    Remove christianity from schools and govt
    Create socialized medicine

:fearful:
  • Options

polaris_x said:

You people just don't get it!

There is NO such thing as global warming

Anyone with half a brain knows that it's just a liberal plot to.....

Raise your taxes
    Abort your babies
    Take your guns
    Create more government
    Legalize gay marriage
    Allow more brown people across the borders
    Legalize Marijuana
    Remove christianity from schools and govt
    Create socialized medicine

:fearful:
    ll of which, of course, is Obama's fault! Haha!

At least we've finally gotten to the point that most deniers are in super-denial. Now the question is, will we act quickly enough to reduce the impact. We won't stop global warming, but we can still slow it down and lessen it's effect. That or go extinct.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I could use a little global warming right about now
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited April 2016
    BS44325 said:

Well here you go, warming is alive and well here in Calgary. 14C today, 23C Friday.......I might just have to hit a patio downtown and watch the world go by.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/alberta/calgary
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

Well here you go, warming is alive and well here in Calgary. 14C today, 23C Friday.......I might just have to hit a patio downtown and watch the world go by.

And pretty much no snow for you this season.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

None really, I'm pretty sure it was another record breaking season....every year we seem to be breaking the record.
  • Options
    dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

None really, I'm pretty sure it was another record breaking season....every year we seem to be breaking the record.
    Fortunately the mountains got snow. So enjoyed my trip to your wonderful part of the world. Course PJ was the excuse. Got my hockey pj poster. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    callen said:

dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

Fortunately the mountains got snow. So enjoyed my trip to your wonderful part of the world. Course PJ was the excuse. Got my hockey pj poster. :)
    Yeah, the snows been pretty great in the mountains. I didn't get out skiing once this year....starting a family means sacrifices apparently ;) Just last week my favorite hill got over a meter of snow in a few days.

Glad you enjoyed your stay, if you ever come around these parts again shoot me a message.

I also have that poster, it's my favorite poster from my favorite show.
  • Options
    dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

callen said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

Yeah, the snows been pretty great in the mountains. I didn't get out skiing once this year....starting a family means sacrifices apparently ;) Just last week my favorite hill got over a meter of snow in a few days.

Glad you enjoyed your stay, if you ever come around these parts again shoot me a message.

I also have that poster, it's my favorite poster from my favorite show.
    Okay now have to frame it. Ha

Will do and congrats on starting that family.

Back to global warming, let's see how weather shapes up for next decade.

Realize my small place in the world isn't an indication but first time ever not getting below freezing this year. Mosquitos will be fierce.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Putin said same thing, he wanted warmer planet. Hmmmm. Your both war mongerers, want to increase world temps. Hmmmmmm. Ha
  • Options
    callen said:

BS44325 said:

Putin said same thing, he wanted warmer planet. Hmmmm. Your both war mongerers, want to increase world temps. Hmmmmmm. Ha
    Ha...now I am working with Putin! Amazing.

• Options
    We got decent snow on the Sierras this year and some people are going, "SEE!" But a good year like this year is not what it seems. We're still below normal for the date and it's going to be 83 degrees today.

But local weather has little to do with global climate. It's the big picture that will affect us all in the long run. For climate change, we need to keep an eye on the planet, not the local scene.

• Options
    BS44325 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

No you may be Putin!!!

Being lighthearted at the moment.

Till you start spending my money again. Ha.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Blankenship was sentenced to a year in prison today...
    It's good to see personal accountability is occasionally applied to rich consevatives and not just poor liberals.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    callen said:

BS44325 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

No you may be Putin!!!

I will buy you some drinks at the Ride Festival just to make things even on the money front.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    BS44325 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

No you may be Putin!!!

I will buy you some drinks at the Ride Festival just to make things even on the money front.
    Can't drink that much. Hahaha.

Soooo looking forward to this.

See in the end we all love us some PJ.

Cheers.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Blankenship was sentenced to a year in prison today...
    It's good to see personal accountability is occasionally applied to rich consevatives and not just poor liberals.

I can't help but wonder if some miner screwed up and 29 CEOs got killed imagine what kind of sentence that guy would get. Well, at least Blankenship couldn't buy his way out totally.

I think coal mining needs to end anyway- at least most of it. The whole "clean coal" thing never added up to sensible environmental concern.