Options

Global warming

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I understand where you are coming from, and ultimately, I agree with you. In practice though, if we don't make some hard decisions we won't make any progress at all.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    rgambs said:

I understand where you are coming from, and ultimately, I agree with you. In practice though, if we don't make some hard decisions we won't make any progress at all.

I totally agree with that although I think the hard decisions we have to make have more to do with "What are we willing to give up in order to assure a healthy world for us and those who come after us". My choice recently, for example, was to give up eating meat. Another I would make if it were totally up to me would be to let my little Casita trailer go but the choice there might be "lose Casita/lose wife vs keep Casita/keep wife." Not really, but almost :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Check these out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2QRPG?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g79_i1_r

reusable produce bags, for like a buck and a half per bag!
    i might be unreasonably excited about these, but I recently had to toss a whole bag of string beans cuz they got slimey from being in the plastic bag for too long. Anything that makes produce last longer than a couple days makes me happy :lol:

Honestly even with the "plastic bag" discussion on here, I never even thought about the produce bags.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    ldent42 said:

Check these out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2QRPG?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g79_i1_r

i might be unreasonably excited about these, but I recently had to toss a whole bag of string beans cuz they got slimey from being in the plastic bag for too long. Anything that makes produce last longer than a couple days makes me happy :lol:

Honestly even with the "plastic bag" discussion on here, I never even thought about the produce bags.

Oh yeah, I use Debbie Meyer's Green Bags religiously (same thing as you posted basically) and they are AMAZING. I love them so much I ended up handing them out to everyone I know for Christmas one year, lol. I have saved SO much money/food with these things.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ldent42 said:

Produce bags are a real quandary for us. A few years ago our old refrigerator conked out. We had replaced the compressor once already but this time thing was a goner and it was time to update to a more energy efficient model. The problem is, ALL newer refrigerators (that I know of anyway) tend to suck moisture out of the air inside and anything with moisture that is not sealed. That makes storage difficult. I try to either reuse bags until they are useless and recycle them or better yet, use washable Tupperware. But many vegies like a little air circulation. The bags you posted look great but in my fridge most vegies would probably be desiccated in a day or two. They might work for somethings though like root vegetables. I'll look around and see if I can find them somewhere (other than Undercut America. :wink: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Brian, I think you might be surprised by how well these green bags work. I don't think there is any chance at all that they wouldn't effectively keep your produce fresh for days and days, in or out of the fridge.
    You can buy the Debbie Myer's ones online, and other brands too. I'm lucky to live by an As Seen On TV store (where they sell all the shit you see on infomercials), so can buy them in person for maybe $12 a box.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    My fridge is either as old or slightly older than me, so I think I don't have to worry about that drying out issue. The Rite Aide by my house has a large As Seen on TV section so I'll see if they have them there for the same price.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ldent42 said:

My fridge is either as old or slightly older than me, so I think I don't have to worry about that drying out issue. The Rite Aide by my house has a large As Seen on TV section so I'll see if they have them there for the same price.

Know what, I was obviously confused about what you initially posted, which are absolutely not like what I'm talking about at all, lol. I think I just assumed they were same kind of thing because of the packaging. Looks similar to the green bags. :) But anyway, yeah, the green bags are highly recommended by me for keeping produce fresh longer, clearly! They are cheap online too: http://www.amazon.com/Debbie-Meyer-GreenBags-Freshness-Preserving-Storage/dp/B00I4V1U06/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1454371513&sr=1-2&keywords=green+bags

But those mesh things you posted also look good just to prevent those produce section bags from being used.
  • Options
    yea it says it's only reusable up to 8-10 times though. So I'm probably going to stick with the mesh ones. I just want to see them in person before I waste $12 on them.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

yea it says it's only reusable up to 8-10 times though. So I'm probably going to stick with the mesh ones. I just want to see them in person before I waste $12 on them.

Yes, but reusable 8 - 10 times per bag probably prevents like $20 worth of food waste if you're having trouble keeping produce fresh. And that's just reusable when it comes to keeping the produce fresh. After that you can use the bags for whatever else you want. This is about not wasting food rather than for not using bags.... No joke, I probably save at least $300 a year in produce with these things.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Know what, I was obviously confused about what you initially posted, which are absolutely not like what I'm talking about at all, lol. I think I just assumed they were same kind of thing because of the packaging. Looks similar to the green bags. :) But anyway, yeah, the green bags are highly recommended by me for keeping produce fresh longer, clearly! They are cheap online too: http://www.amazon.com/Debbie-Meyer-GreenBags-Freshness-Preserving-Storage/dp/B00I4V1U06/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1454371513&sr=1-2&keywords=green+bags

But those mesh things you posted also look good just to prevent those produce section bags from being used.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm still gonna look somewhere besides Undercut America for them though :lol:

Update- they carry them at Bed Bath and Beyond, Safeway, K-Mart or on eBay. No need to support Amazon!

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still gonna look somewhere besides Undercut America for them though :lol:

Update- they carry them at Bed Bath and Beyond or on eBay. No need to support Amazon!

Haha, I would never suggest you buy anything from Amazon Brian. :lol: I just posted that to show you what they looked like and the general price. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Update- they carry them at Bed Bath and Beyond or on eBay. No need to support Amazon!

Haha, I would never suggest you buy anything from Amazon Brian. :lol: I just posted that to show you what they looked like and the general price. ;)
    :plus_one:

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Osama bin Laden wrote a letter calling on the American people to help President Barack Obama fight "catastrophic" climate change and "save humanity", in the latest evidence of his worries about environmental issues, newly released documents show.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0W35MS
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Osama bin Laden wrote a letter calling on the American people to help President Barack Obama fight "catastrophic" climate change and "save humanity", in the latest evidence of his worries about environmental issues, newly released documents show.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0W35MS

Just goes to show pretty much everyone gets how serious global warming is.

Now what would be even more helpful would be for everyone to understand that the plight of our ocean is even more urgent. It all starts and ends with the oceans.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    Snow brought in via train for the start of the iditarod race. In Alaska.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,038
    mickeyrat said:

It'll be 70' here in NY tomorrow. It was freezing a day ago...
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

71 in DOAC Wednesday, may do some mandscaping and hit an area beach
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    JC29856 said:

mickeyrat said:

71 in DOAC Wednesday, may do some mandscaping and hit an area beach
    TMI!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    :rofl:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Corals kryptonite warming water (sunscreen no good got it either)

http://m.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2016/02/coral-reef-NOAA-climate-el-nino
  • Options
    http://www.earthables.com/biodegradable-algae-water-bottles-1682275071.html

Biodegradable Algae Water Bottles That'll Save Our Planet From Plastic
  • Options
    Free said:

http://www.earthables.com/biodegradable-algae-water-bottles-1682275071.html

Biodegradable Algae Water Bottles That'll Save Our Planet From Plastic

And you can eat it!

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Yes, but reusable 8 - 10 times per bag probably prevents like $20 worth of food waste if you're having trouble keeping produce fresh. And that's just reusable when it comes to keeping the produce fresh. After that you can use the bags for whatever else you want. This is about not wasting food rather than for not using bags.... No joke, I probably save at least $300 a year in produce with these things.
    maybe a rethink of how you buy your food? if your food is wasting perhaps you've bought too much to use within its particular life span or your menu hasn't been planned to optimum level. I find if the vegetables(for instance) I buy that come in plastic should be removed from that packaging. I do this cause I don't know how long its been sitting in that plastic. dependent on what the vegetable is I either pop it into a reusable container and wipe out both the contain and the vegetable every couple of days to remove condensation. or if I store them in plastic bags, every time I remove what I need for cooking I turn the bag inside out and if need be wipe the vegetables(again to remove condensation) before returning it all to the fridge.
    having said all that I do find our household wasting more apples that I care for. our dog loves cored apples stuffed with peanut butter but its a treat for him. so apples get wasted. im thinking about getting a goat. :)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited March 2016

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

maybe a rethink of how you buy your food? if your food is wasting perhaps you've bought too much to use within its particular life span or your menu hasn't been planned to optimum level. I find if the vegetables(for instance) I buy that come in plastic should be removed from that packaging. I do this cause I don't know how long its been sitting in that plastic. dependent on what the vegetable is I either pop it into a reusable container and wipe out both the contain and the vegetable every couple of days to remove condensation. or if I store them in plastic bags, every time I remove what I need for cooking I turn the bag inside out and if need be wipe the vegetables(again to remove condensation) before returning it all to the fridge.
    having said all that I do find our household wasting more apples that I care for. our dog loves cored apples stuffed with peanut butter but its a treat for him. so apples get wasted. im thinking about getting a goat. :)

But I have already found the solution to food wasting. The green bags. :) I no longer have a food wasting issue, and the green bags are wonderful and work better than any other method.
    But FWIW, and why i need the greeb bags, one person really has no choice in how to buy a lot of produce (and keep it affordable). A head of lettuce is a head of lettuce. A cauliflower is a cauliflower. A pineapple is a pineapple. And so on. I can't very well go to the market and start tearing cabbages in half, lol. ;)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

But I have already found the solution to food wasting. The green bags. :) I no longer have a food wasting issue, and the green bags are wonderful and work better than any other method.
    But FWIW, and why i need the greeb bags, one person really has no choice in how to buy a lot of produce (and keep it affordable). A head of lettuce is a head of lettuce. A cauliflower is a cauliflower. A pineapple is a pineapple. And so on. I can't very well go to the market and start tearing cabbages in half, lol. ;)
    no cause thatd be weird pjsoul. ;) lol

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Rather than start another environment thread, let;s do this here. Great message here from the marvelous Jeff Bridges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znvqIkIM-A

• Options
    polaris_x said:
    I caught a glimpse of what I believe was a Tesla the other day. The license plate read "NOE OIL".

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Lets watch Hillary go off on a Greenpeace activist when they ask about Hillary being tied to the fossil fuels industry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dC4Pvm6Oj4A

http://fair.org/home/did-sanders-lie-about-clintons-oil-money-npr-factchecker-cant-be-bothered-to-check/
    Post edited by Free on