Meanwhile back in Israel

Comments

• benjs said:

badbrains said:

yosi said:

You're right, I didn't see that. And if you don't want to let that go that's fine. But he hasn't been saying anything like that on this thread, and you ignoring what he's actually writing and instead responding to an old slight isn't doing anything other than souring the conversation.

Oh, see you didn't see that part where I offered an olive branch to him after he made that remark. He couldn't just accept it, he had to mock it. So I'll let it go when I feel is the time. Again, how would you feel? Don't give me no Mumbo jumbo bullshit "you'd let it go". Like ive said, I'd just about share a beer or smoke a toke with anyone in here but him. That says a lot.
    Nart, two Jews are here suggesting you let go of a comment we both recognize as absurd, about Jews wearing yellow stars. If anyone would be unlikely to let it go - it would be either of us. I want this conversation to move forward, not go backwards. Until this conversation moves to become about the topic again as opposed to those discussing it, I'm sorry to say that I honestly don't see that happening. Don't you think if we thought his statement had ANY credence whatsoever we'd be holding him to a validating statement, and you to an apology?

Here's the original statement from BS (because most of us except for the internet archival tools have forgotten. The context - BS was being inquired about his religion, and had been for some time): "Well I guess I am not sure why it matters? Do different religions carry different weight on here? What if I am not religious at all? Would life be easier for you if some forum members wore a yellow star?"

This seems very obviously an extreme example to display the historical dangers of categorically linking a person to a sect, lest their opinion be put on a pedestal or in a hole whether consciously or subconsciously. This is not a statement suggesting you would do this in any way, shape or form, but the reality is, it is hard for any of us to strip ourselves of an inherent prejudice based on what we know, which is based on what we've been taught, which is based on who has indoctrinated us, which is based on where their prejudices came from.

The message I took out of it was as I stated above, and that it validates one's right to keep his or her religious affiliations to his or her self. Nart, you and I have readily offered our religious affiliations, but that is by choice, not obligation, and that's the way it should be. Not to mention, there are Zionists who aren't Jews, there are Jews who are anti-Zionism. I honestly could care less. We are talking about human issues.

Now, please, I am begging here, can we move the fuck on and talk about things that matter? I come here to learn, not to argue.
    You have done a really good job placing this in its proper perspective.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

benjs said:

badbrains said:

yosi said:

You're right, I didn't see that. And if you don't want to let that go that's fine. But he hasn't been saying anything like that on this thread, and you ignoring what he's actually writing and instead responding to an old slight isn't doing anything other than souring the conversation.

Oh, see you didn't see that part where I offered an olive branch to him after he made that remark. He couldn't just accept it, he had to mock it. So I'll let it go when I feel is the time. Again, how would you feel? Don't give me no Mumbo jumbo bullshit "you'd let it go". Like ive said, I'd just about share a beer or smoke a toke with anyone in here but him. That says a lot.
    Nart, two Jews are here suggesting you let go of a comment we both recognize as absurd, about Jews wearing yellow stars. If anyone would be unlikely to let it go - it would be either of us. I want this conversation to move forward, not go backwards. Until this conversation moves to become about the topic again as opposed to those discussing it, I'm sorry to say that I honestly don't see that happening. Don't you think if we thought his statement had ANY credence whatsoever we'd be holding him to a validating statement, and you to an apology?

Here's the original statement from BS (because most of us except for the internet archival tools have forgotten. The context - BS was being inquired about his religion, and had been for some time): "Well I guess I am not sure why it matters? Do different religions carry different weight on here? What if I am not religious at all? Would life be easier for you if some forum members wore a yellow star?"

This seems very obviously an extreme example to display the historical dangers of categorically linking a person to a sect, lest their opinion be put on a pedestal or in a hole whether consciously or subconsciously. This is not a statement suggesting you would do this in any way, shape or form, but the reality is, it is hard for any of us to strip ourselves of an inherent prejudice based on what we know, which is based on what we've been taught, which is based on who has indoctrinated us, which is based on where their prejudices came from.

The message I took out of it was as I stated above, and that it validates one's right to keep his or her religious affiliations to his or her self. Nart, you and I have readily offered our religious affiliations, but that is by choice, not obligation, and that's the way it should be. Not to mention, there are Zionists who aren't Jews, there are Jews who are anti-Zionism. I honestly could care less. We are talking about human issues.

Now, please, I am begging here, can we move the fuck on and talk about things that matter? I come here to learn, not to argue.
    You have done a really good job placing this in its proper perspective.
    Thanks, Thirty. I'm just really frustrated at the direction this thread has taken, and it doesn't feel like we're progressing at all.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited June 2015
    Edited. Please ignore, working on something here.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,588
    mickeyrat said:
    Not a bad read, although I think the reality of what's going on is, in part at least, a bit more complex than the article suggests. Specifically, the article makes a point of noting how much funding goes to the ultra-orthodox yeshivot without any discussion of what is driving that spending. The resulting contrast suggests a purely discriminatory motive. I don't doubt that discriminatory bias is part of the story. But that isn't what's driving the Jewish side of the equation. The incredible funding for the yeshivot is a symptom of Israel's coalition politics, which affords outsize influence to small ultra-orthodox political parties, which are often in a position to make or break coalitions. Securing state funding for their yeshivot is among these parties' chief concerns, and they have essentially been demanding ever more increasing funds as the price for their support in forming a ruling coalition. Secular Israelis hate this dynamic, as they generally see the ultra-orthodox as parasitic, taking enormous amounts of funds from the state without giving anything back. But the secular parties are divided over the conflict with the Palestinians, so addressing the issues of the ultra-orthodox in Israel is basically on the back burner indefinitely.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

yosi said:

mickeyrat said:
    Not a bad read, although I think the reality of what's going on is, in part at least, a bit more complex than the article suggests. Specifically, the article makes a point of noting how much funding goes to the ultra-orthodox yeshivot without any discussion of what is driving that spending. The resulting contrast suggests a purely discriminatory motive. I don't doubt that discriminatory bias is part of the story. But that isn't what's driving the Jewish side of the equation. The incredible funding for the yeshivot is a symptom of Israel's coalition politics, which affords outsize influence to small ultra-orthodox political parties, which are often in a position to make or break coalitions. Securing state funding for their yeshivot is among these parties' chief concerns, and they have essentially been demanding ever more increasing funds as the price for their support in forming a ruling coalition. Secular Israelis hate this dynamic, as they generally see the ultra-orthodox as parasitic, taking enormous amounts of funds from the state without giving anything back. But the secular parties are divided over the conflict with the Palestinians, so addressing the issues of the ultra-orthodox in Israel is basically on the back burner indefinitely.
    From everything I've read about the political landscape in Israel, I'm pretty sure this is dead-on. The ultra-Orthodox Haredi seem to be akin to swing states in America - politicians exert major effort to win the vote of this group, as they often amount to making or breaking a coalition. As far as the Christian side, as you said, definitely at least partially a discriminatory issue.

EV
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.btselem.org/south_hebron_hills/20150604_birkat_al_karmel

Soldiers Expel Palestinians from Pool in Area A to Enable Settlers to Bathe Undisturbed
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Is there any good news that comes out of this country?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Depends on whos doing the reporting. And what perspective they bring.

I recently recognized something about newsreports with graphics. Maps of Israel show the occupied territories as within established Israeli borders. As if it were just Israel. Rather than showing the true borders with a differentiation of the occupied areas.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Apparently NOT. Wow, this shits fucken disturbing.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/video-israeli-soldiers-brutally-beat-palestinian-dad
  • badbrains said:

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/video-israeli-soldiers-brutally-beat-palestinian-dad
    Yes, the ever reliable electronic intifada. Conveniently ignoring ALL context. They must have just gone up to this man and beaten him for no reason. You can see the full video in the article below. Of course the entire episode was cut down to ignore the context. As is the case in most situations, the facts are actually much more complicated and there is likely wrongdoing on both sides.
    http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/New-video-exposes-provocation-leading-up-to-IDF-soldiers-beating-Palestinian-406349
  • Is there any good news that comes out of this country?

I could post good news virtually every day, but nobody here seems to want to hear it. Thanks to certain people here, this is an echo chamber of Israel bashing. What's funny is that probably 100% of them have never been there. If you'd like, I could share more positive stories.

badbrains said:

Yes, the ever reliable electronic intifada. Conveniently ignoring ALL context. They must have just gone up to this man and beaten him for no reason. You can see the full video in the article below. Of course the entire episode was cut down to ignore the context. As is the case in most situations, the facts are actually much more complicated and there is likely wrongdoing on both sides.
    http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/New-video-exposes-provocation-leading-up-to-IDF-soldiers-beating-Palestinian-406349
    Simple solution, get out of the occupied territories. Oh that's right, can't, still more land to steal.

badbrains said:

That video showed the idf acting like thugs threatening to shoot him and arrest them for taking their pictures? Lol
  • badbrains said:

badbrains said:

That video showed the idf acting like thugs threatening to shoot him and arrest them for taking their pictures? Lol
    No. The video shows the man clearly provoking them. What do you think would happen if a man in Iraq put his hand on the gun of a US soldier? I'd say that the soldiers showed tremendous restraint.

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

No. The video shows the man clearly provoking them. What do you think would happen if a man in Iraq put his hand on the gun of a US soldier? I'd say that the soldiers showed tremendous restraint.
    Your video shows it all started by the idf soldier threatening a "diff" Palestinian for taking his pic. The other Palestinian came in and the idf started calling him names and insulting him, thus the Palestinian responding back with insults. You can spin it anyway you want, that man has super balls for trying to defend himself to a thug with assault rifle. Imagine if the idf soldier DIDNT have that assault rifle? Different story NO DOUBT.
  • badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Your video shows it all started by the idf soldier threatening a "diff" Palestinian for taking his pic. The other Palestinian came in and the idf started calling him names and insulting him, thus the Palestinian responding back with insults. You can spin it anyway you want, that man has super balls for trying to defend himself to a thug with assault rifle. Imagine if the idf soldier DIDNT have that assault rifle? Different story NO DOUBT.
    I guess you see what you'd like, but what I see is a man trying to get a rise out of the soldiers so it can be recorded by the sympathetic media. And that's exactly what he did.

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

I guess you see what you'd like, but what I see is a man trying to get a rise out of the soldiers so it can be recorded by the sympathetic media. And that's exactly what he did.
    Ya, you're right. He tried to get a rise out of soldiers carrying assault rifles and who are trigger happy at anything that moves. How did I not see that? (Sarcasm)
  • badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Ya, you're right. He tried to get a rise out of soldiers carrying assault rifles and who are trigger happy at anything that moves. How did I not see that? (Sarcasm)
    Yes, they seemed very trigger happy here (sarcasm). You do a great job of generalizing a huge group of people as murderous lunatics.
    To be honest, Nart and JohnnieBeBlue - we've seen this time and time again. I could probably find a very similar, if not identical, situation and response and banter from six months ago, a year ago, a year and a half ago, etc. And the end of the discussion is usually the same: people walk out of the conversation with the same opinions they held when they walked into it.

What's new to the table, and will probably lead to change in ways that reporting about the shitty situation can't, is Mahmoud Abbas' dissolution of the national unity government, in his attempt to create a trans-factional government, representing the wide gamut of the political spectrum.

http://mondoweiss.net/2015/06/palestinian-government-national

A few things that jump out at me:
    -This came out of the blue, at the onset of Ramadan. This could have been intentional, to minimize violent protest from Gaza
    -This comes a week before Abbas' government was (is?) set to present war crimes about Israel to the International Criminal Court. To me, I do wonder whether this dissolution would strip Abbas' government of liability, should the court find Hamas guilty of war crimes as well
    -This forces a predicament for Israel: without the presence of Hamas, should that faction be excluded from the new government, hopefully Israel will consider that a legitimate entity to negotiate with, since it's abundantly clear that they had never, nor would ever, consider Hamas a partner in negotiation

EV

badbrains said:
    Oh it is on the news sites. AJA was first in google so.....

To be cynical it will get at least SOME mention because it involves a christiam church.

What I have read was 10 teenagers were tsken in for questioning and released with no charges as yet. From a settlement im the region. Graffiti was sprayed also, something about no worship of false gods"

edited June 2015
    mickeyrat said:

badbrains said:
    Oh it is on the news sites. AJA was first in google so.....

To be cynical it will get at least SOME mention because it involves a christiam church.

What I have read was 10 teenagers were tsken in for questioning and released with no charges as yet. From a settlement im the region. Graffiti was sprayed also, something about no worship of false gods"

Not the first time this has happened there. Funny thing tho, when I googled, NONE of the major news agency in the U.S. came up on page 1.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/2/26/suspected-israeli-nationalists-torch-christian-seminary-in-jerusalem.html
    Post edited by badbrains on
    My last go through cnn was tops

mickeyrat said:

My last go through cnn was tops

Now I see it. I did it again and now they're popping up
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm sorry, but I see literally nothing good that comes out of bringing attention to the shit in the region anymore when we all know the trends. Why not discuss ways to change or ways to add momentum to the few things that can bring change (the new Palestinian government and how that will look, defining the Jewish identity so that Palestinians may be brought closer to equal while maintaining a Jewish sovereignty for the time being, etc.), rather than stirring a pot and ensuring that a topic you care about remains stagnant? To shout about what's wrong without proposing solutions is not only doing nothing - it's an overall destructive act that adds to the animosity between two groups. You don't drive change by pointing out the sins of the world: you discuss how you can correct them.

EV
    benjs said:

mickeyrat said:
    I'm sorry, but I see literally nothing good that comes out of bringing attention to the shit in the region anymore when we all know the trends. Why not discuss ways to change or ways to add momentum to the few things that can bring change (the new Palestinian government and how that will look, defining the Jewish identity so that Palestinians may be brought closer to equal while maintaining a Jewish sovereignty for the time being, etc.), rather than stirring a pot and ensuring that a topic you care about remains stagnant? To shout about what's wrong without proposing solutions is not only doing nothing - it's an overall destructive act that adds to the animosity between two groups. You don't drive change by pointing out the sins of the world: you discuss how you can correct them.
    Its relevant indication of the uphill battle we all face, coming from settlements (interested to know if on illegally occupied lands).

mickeyrat said:

benjs said:

mickeyrat said:
    Its relevant indication of the uphill battle we all face, coming from settlements (interested to know if on illegally occupied lands).
    100% relevant.
    mickeyrat said:

benjs said:

mickeyrat said:
    Again - it is not news. It has been reported time and time again. And yes, it's an uphill battle. Now what?

When you see an enemy do you exclusively say "he's really strong", go home and tell your allies, "he's really strong", and then continue to tell your allies how mighty your foe is? By doing this, you instil fear in your allies, and create a further mental gap between yourselves and those on the opposite side.

Alternatively, you can devote your time and energy to strategize for how you're going to tackle a problem at hand with two distinct entities who need to see eye-to-eye in order to solve it. We've sufficiently defined problems here, and until people here are willing to pivot to solution-seeking instead of problem-reiterating, I still say that there isn't a single positive thing that can come out of this conversation.

I couldn't disagree more: I do not find this relevant, as I do not feel that this is news. It is hugely redundant from a thematic perspective. Incredibly fucking tragic - don't get me wrong - but redundant. I still can't comprehend why people would rather argue over who was wrong here, rather than admit that this situation is just plain fucked up, and start to discuss how to end it.

EV