Global warming

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    absolutely on the solar farms thing. make it part of the building code. The biggest one for me was the final? image of the clean air pics. you can readily see where the coal fired plants are located, Ohio still has them BUT we have mandated exhaust scrubbers to help deal with the acid rain and other nasty stuff. the hot spots to the lower left of the pic are along the ohio river bordering indiana and kentucky.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mickeyrat said:

absolutely on the solar farms thing. make it part of the building code. The biggest one for me was the final? image of the clean air pics. you can readily see where the coal fired plants are located, Ohio still has them BUT we have mandated exhaust scrubbers to help deal with the acid rain and other nasty stuff. the hot spots to the lower left of the pic are along the ohio river bordering indiana and kentucky.

That has definitely been a big plus. I remember when acid rain was much worse. I lived in Western NY State during some of the bad years and it was in the news often. There's still room for improvement but it's good to see that has improved greatly! Are you near some of those hot spots?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    mickeyrat said:

buildings and housing could be darn near self sufficient. Power and water.
    Smellyman said:

mickeyrat said:

buildings and housing could be darn near self sufficient. Power and water.
    For sure! Our local food co-op has solar panels over it's parking lot and I'm told the power for entire store comes from them. Summers are hot as hell here but the co-op is always cool and comfortable.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Just watched a wonder list on CNN about our beloved Everglades and the impact we have had on that fragile ecosystem.Living here on its doorstep I do hear a lot about it.Some great things are happening bringing back certain aspects of what it was before we started fucking with it.Many species are making comebacks and new and improved ways of fresh water flow to Florida Bay is taking center stage.Im glad many in my state realize just how valuable to our sustainability the Glades are.
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I just read this. They are creating wind turbines that are small enough to be attached to residential homes. Couple wind with solar panels on the house and you could have a home that is off grid. Would love to know the cost to install for the average house!

treehugger.com/wind-technology/silent-wind-turbines-could-generate-half-household-energy.html
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    riotgrl said:

I just read this. They are creating wind turbines that are small enough to be attached to residential homes. Couple wind with solar panels on the house and you could have a home that is off grid. Would love to know the cost to install for the average house!

treehugger.com/wind-technology/silent-wind-turbines-could-generate-half-household-energy.html

These look very promising! I'm glad to hear they are quiet. My only question is, are they bird safe?

brianlux said:

riotgrl said:

These look very promising! I'm glad to hear they are quiet. My only question is, are they bird safe?

Are they hurricane proof?
  • riotgrl said:

I would totally do this!
    He's a cool Pope.He gets it.
    Excellent! These are bold move on the part of Pop Francis, especially in light of the heat he's getting from Catholic conservatives. If those conservatives would just add a few letters and see themselves as conservationists maybe they too could get on board with what makes sense.

Very glad to see this!

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Pop" Francis =)
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I think he's the most interesting pope I've seen in my lifetime, and that's little over 1/2 a century. If he really wants to make an impact on the environment he'd ditch that archaic prohibition on contraception. He did say earlier this year that Catholics don't need to be breeding like rabbits, but unfortunately without contraception, that will be a non-starter. So I'd like to see fewer platitudes, and more doctrinal changes.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • brianlux said:

Excellent! These are bold move on the part of Pop Francis, especially in light of the heat he's getting from Catholic conservatives. If those conservatives would just add a few letters and see themselves as conservationists maybe they too could get on board with what makes sense.

Very glad to see this!

Funny you say this, because traditionally, it was the conservatives who were actually on the side of conservation originally, hence their name, conservatives.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-conservative-record-on-environmental-policy
    At the turn of the twentieth century, Republicans were among the foremost advocates of governmental intervention for environmental purposes. Teddy Roosevelt believed that government ownership of forest land was necessary to prevent a timber famine and would foster sound ecological stewardship. After World War II, most major environmental laws were adopted with broad bipartisan majorities in Congress. The lion’s share of the nation’s environmental regulatory infrastructure was erected during Republican administrations. Yet over the past several decades, the Republican Party has become increasingly hostile to environmental regulation, on the federal level in particular…

...it was a Republican, Richard M. Nixon, who presided over the birth of the modern environmental regulatory state. He created the EPA by executive order and signed into law more major pieces of environmental legislation than any president before or since. Though his support for environmental measures may have been largely opportunistic, the regulatory architecture erected on Nixon’s watch largely remains in place and continues to provide the foundation for federal environmental regulation to this day.

But Nixon’s support for regulation did not make environmentalism a conservative cause. Largely a reaction to New Deal liberalism, postwar American conservatism was highly suspicious of centralized government authority...

brianlux said:

Very glad to see this!

Funny you say this, because traditionally, it was the conservatives who were actually on the side of conservation originally, hence their name, conservatives.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-conservative-record-on-environmental-policy
    At the turn of the twentieth century, Republicans were among the foremost advocates of governmental intervention for environmental purposes. Teddy Roosevelt believed that government ownership of forest land was necessary to prevent a timber famine and would foster sound ecological stewardship. After World War II, most major environmental laws were adopted with broad bipartisan majorities in Congress. The lion’s share of the nation’s environmental regulatory infrastructure was erected during Republican administrations. Yet over the past several decades, the Republican Party has become increasingly hostile to environmental regulation, on the federal level in particular…

...it was a Republican, Richard M. Nixon, who presided over the birth of the modern environmental regulatory state. He created the EPA by executive order and signed into law more major pieces of environmental legislation than any president before or since. Though his support for environmental measures may have been largely opportunistic, the regulatory architecture erected on Nixon’s watch largely remains in place and continues to provide the foundation for federal environmental regulation to this day.

But Nixon’s support for regulation did not make environmentalism a conservative cause. Largely a reaction to New Deal liberalism, postwar American conservatism was highly suspicious of centralized government authority...

Exactly!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Fuck the Pope. He still rejects female clergy and birth control. He's no better than the rest. He's just more talented with the PR.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Fuck the Pope. He still rejects female clergy and birth control. He's no better than the rest. He's just more talented with the PR.

Pj,what I want to know is how you really feel.lol
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    :giggle:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    god, guns, gays and war drums have taken over the debacle that is the 21st century republican
    The article in the link that follows offers an interesting perspective on global warming- the notion that what we eat and how we produce and distribute food may be a major driving force of climate change:

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/food-farming-and-climate-change-its-bigger-everything-else

"Industrial agriculture is a key driver in the generation of greenhouse gases (GHGs). Synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, heavy machinery, monocultures, land change, deforestation, refrigeration, waste and transportation are all part of a food system that generates significant emissions and contributes greatly to global climate change. Industrial agricultural practices, from Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) to synthetic fertilizer-intensive corn and soy monocultures, genetically modified to tolerate huge amounts of herbicide, not only contribute considerable amounts of GHGs, but also underpin an inequitable and unhealthy global food system. Modern conventional agriculture is a fossil fuel-based, energy-intensive industry that is aligned with biotech, trade and energy interests, versus farmer and consumers priorities."

More good reasons to at least reduce meat consumption if not go vegetarian, grow some of our own food, support local economy and support your local small or family-run organic farmer!

Was behind a guy in a beat up white trash pick up with a busted exhaust pipe today.
    He had a NRA sticker in the window,A NOBAMA sticker,A deer head sticker,rebel flag sticker and And "Stop Global Whinning sticker" and one I couldn't read but the word" Tits" was in it.So I'm pretty sure he dosent believe in things like Climate Change.I thought of this thread.I wish I got a pic.
    rr165892 said:

Was behind a guy in a beat up white trash pick up with a busted exhaust pipe today.
    He had a NRA sticker in the window,A NOBAMA sticker,A deer head sticker,rebel flag sticker and And "Stop Global Whinning sticker" and one I couldn't read but the word" Tits" was in it.So I'm pretty sure he dosent believe in things like Climate Change.I thought of this thread.I wish I got a pic.

The funny thing is, one of the most progressive women I know has a "No Global Whining" bumper sticker... but she is definitely concerned about global warming. I think what she means is don't just complain, do something!

Your NRA might be the same guy I saw once with the sticker that says:

"We'll log the EARTH FIRST!
    Then the rest of the planets!"

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Smellyman said:

god, guns, gays and war drums have taken over the debacle that is the 21st century republican

Great recruitment strategy to get some to vote against their interests and help big corporations.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Good News for Earth Day: Solar, Wind Power Becoming Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels

http://billmoyers.com/2014/11/24/good-news-mother-earth-solar-wind-power-becoming-cheaper-fossil-fuels/

Good News for Earth Day: Solar, Wind Power Becoming Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels

http://billmoyers.com/2014/11/24/good-news-mother-earth-solar-wind-power-becoming-cheaper-fossil-fuels/

Great! And more jobs!

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Happy Earth Day from George Carlin

http://youtu.be/EjmtSkl53h4

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited April 2015
    More frightening stuff. Five degrees is a big difference. http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/22/us/pacific-ocean-blob/
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    BS44325 said:

Happy Earth Day from George Carlin

http://youtu.be/EjmtSkl53h4

Oh how I love George and always will (sobbed like a kid when he died).

I agree with him on this issue overall...but the endangered species part - I read this morning that there are five...FIVE...black rhinos (a specific kind which I can't remember at the moment) left on this planet. Due to poaching, not nature.

And I'm a huge fan of letting nature just do its thing.
    edited April 2015
    Good old Carlin! I'm such a huge fan. I never fully agreed with his take on environmentalism and environmentalists (and I'll bet if someone had told George they fully agreed with everything he said he would probably look them over good and think a minute and then say, "Well, you look smart but..... AHHH! You're full of shit!") but I TOTALLY love and respect how he challenged us to think more deeply and critically about what we believe, what we think we know. And I think that was always his point, his objective. And even today, if you view Carlin's bit on the environment and you think there is no reason to care about global warming or trashing the earth... well like Paul Westerberg said, "He who laughs first/ didn't get the joke".

Oh and. P.S., I don't celebrate Earth Day. I'm not even sure when it is. Everyday is Earth Day.
    Post edited by brianlux on