Options

Global warming

Comments

• Options
    I think that Carlin meant every word he said.
    The stoned tree hugging days of saving the planet is long gone.
    We are but mortals on a planet that has plans.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I think that Carlin meant every word he said.
    The stoned tree hugging days of saving the planet is long gone.
    We are but mortals on a planet that has plans.

That's what I always loved about him - his honesty, PC be damned. Even when I was perching on another branch. He's common-sensical.

In ways, he reminds me of Dennis Miller.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Of course Carlin always meant what he said. He worked hard at his craft. The same with climate scientists, marine biologists, ecological and environmental scientists, etc.

"stoned tree hugging day"... Haha! Now you see why I don't celebrate "Earth Day".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well, not all "marine biologists".

• Options
    ^^^ Haha! Very good, H!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Ha. "The sea was angry that day my friends..."
  • Options
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

These kinds of claims by highly paid science deniers working for big oil come up on a fairly regular basis.

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

These kinds of claims by highly paid science deniers working for big oil come up on a fairly regular basis.

Science deniers refuse to look at the data for fear of what they might find. The data clearly has some issues right now. You should not be afraid to find out why.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Science deniers refuse to look at the data for fear of what they might find. The data clearly has some issues right now. You should not be afraid to find out why.
    "Science deniers"? Oh man, BS, you certainly are relentless, haha!

Have you read any of the tons of information I've posted from realclimate.org, ucsusa.org, 350.org etc.? Look into who these people are and what their qualifications are. They are non-partisan scientists who are fanatical about one thing: SCIENCE! They don't work for big oil or other corporations that have a lot to lose when global warming is finally recognized in their tiny corner. Nothing has changed. The mis-information coming from corporations is the same and the people they hire are a very small and well paid off percentage of the qualified world science community. Why do you insist on listening to those who are paid off to support climate deniers? Does it make you feel more secure? Does it make you feel less guilty about using more plastic and petroleum? Or do you just enjoy the debate? I'm serious. I don't get it.

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    BS44325 said:

This quote wins an award. FEAR! Hilarious! :lol
  • Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

"Science deniers"? Oh man, BS, you certainly are relentless, haha!

Have you read any of the tons of information I've posted from realclimate.org, ucsusa.org, 350.org etc.? Look into who these people are and what their qualifications are. They are non-partisan scientists who are fanatical about one thing: SCIENCE! They don't work for big oil or other corporations that have a lot to lose when global warming is finally recognized in their tiny corner. Nothing has changed. The mis-information coming from corporations is the same and the people they hire are a very small and well paid off percentage of the qualified world science community. Why do you insist on listening to those who are paid off to support climate deniers? Does it make you feel more secure? Does it make you feel less guilty about using more plastic and petroleum? Or do you just enjoy the debate? I'm serious. I don't get it.

I have read a number of the things that you have posted but it doesn't change the actual fact that the science has evolved and the data is not lining up with earlier predictions. After all this time it has still not been explained. You posted a link that theorizes why it doesn't line up but that is not enough. I am a science guy. I have a master's of science in a different field. It doesn't even come close to making me an expert but it has trained me to think critically. Ten years ago I would have agreed with you on the certainty of man-made global warming but as the data changed so did my thinking. The environment is such a complex system and the more we study it the more we find how other variables affect the climate as well. As I have said before...this doesn't mean man has zero effect on climate. It might mean though the that significance of man's actions may not be as impactful when compared to these other variables. Not all skeptics are in the pockets of big oil. You should recognize that and be ok with an examination of data.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

I think someone is a bit unclear on what scientist do, haha? Sorry, BS, don't mean to laugh at you but really, think about it. They're SCIENTISTS!

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I think someone is a bit unclear on what scientist do, haha? Sorry, BS, don't mean to laugh at you but really, think about it. They're SCIENTISTS!

Not understanding you here.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I'm referring the idea that "Science deniers refuse to look at the data for fear of what they might find." These are scientists. The vast majority of them don't base their research on emotions like fear. They are totally obsessed with trying to figure out WHAT IS. Fear just doesn't factor in. Have you ever met a scientist? They really are as I describe them. They just want to get the the bottom of things.

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I'm referring the idea that "Science deniers refuse to look at the data for fear of what they might find." These are scientists. The vast majority of them don't base their research on emotions like fear. They are totally obsessed with trying to figure out WHAT IS. Fear just doesn't factor in. Have you ever met a scientist? They really are as I describe them. They just want to get the the bottom of things.

In cyberland a scientist is called a troll.
  • Options
    In cyberspace, fear is spread by trolls.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

well, brian, to be honest, all scientists work for someone. or their work is subsidized by grants given them based on a hypothesis or theory. if all of a sudden that theory dries up, so does that funding.

I would say most scientists, whether you want to believe it or not, are in the pocket of someone or something. just depends on how deep.

I think maybe the mocking of someone who is having a clear, concise, and credible discussion, is not warranted.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Only the fossil fuel industry threatens to censor scientific findings and reports…

Really, all of this questioning science that's suddenly trendy is just that, trendy. A clear, concise and credible discussion would actually not involve the idea that science can be debated by, ugh, non-science.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Only the fossil fuel industry threatens to censor scientific findings and reports…

Really, all of this questioning science that's suddenly trendy is just that, trendy. A clear, concise and credible discussion would actually not involve the idea that science can be debated by, ugh, non-science.

Gotta disagree. Just look at anything relating to GMOs and the food industry.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    riotgrl said:

Edit: just realized that you were probably specifically referencing science relating to global warming :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    riotgrl said:

riotgrl said:

Edit: just realized that you were probably specifically referencing science relating to global warming :)
    I was, but your right! GMOs and the food industry as well. Did you see the article links in the Neil Young thread?
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    edited April 2015

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

well, brian, to be honest, all scientists work for someone. or their work is subsidized by grants given them based on a hypothesis or theory. if all of a sudden that theory dries up, so does that funding.

I would say most scientists, whether you want to believe it or not, are in the pocket of someone or something. just depends on how deep.

I think maybe the mocking of someone who is having a clear, concise, and credible discussion, is not warranted.

I don't find it as mocking. It is more of a dodge. There are a ton of scientists in countless industries and academia who are heavily invested in the current climate models. The data is not supporting these models anymore and we should want to know why. Those that suggest anyone who re-evaluates the data is "in the pocket of big oil" are in fact afraid of having their livelihood affected and are practicing a form of Scientific McCarthyism.
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    Then it shouldn't be a problem to post Scholarly articles.
  • Options

Correct. Here is a great article discussing what it is skeptics actually believe...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/04/25/i-am-a-climate-skeptic-who-believes-in-global-warming/

There is a lot of science in there outlining the controversies. Very rational.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I don't find it as mocking. It is more of a dodge. There are a ton of scientists in countless industries and academia who are heavily invested in the current climate models. The data is not supporting these models anymore and we should want to know why. Those that suggest anyone who re-evaluates the data is "in the pocket of big oil" are in fact afraid of having their livelihood affected and are practicing a form of Scientific McCarthyism.
    There were some earlier posts by him that i would call mocking. But either way, i agree with you. As long as it is supported by sound science, it should be thought of as welcoming dialogue. But i know brians position on this, and i am admittedly paraphrasing, that he says the science is sound, there is no room for debate, that we need to stop discussing and start acting. Which is fair, as we are either in dire straights because of man, in dire straights be ause of nature, but any way you slice it, the storm is coming.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BS44325 said:

Correct. Here is a great article discussing what it is skeptics actually believe...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/04/25/i-am-a-climate-skeptic-who-believes-in-global-warming/

There is no such academia by the name of wattsupwiththat University...
  • Options

BS44325 said:

Oh come now, bsL, you and I know that any science related web site that features hot babes with their legs up on a car's steering wheel and articles on budget friendly puppy dogs are VERY LIKELY to be filled with excellent scientific data of the highest quality!

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Oh come now, bsL, you and I know that any science related web site that features hot babes with their legs up on a car's steering wheel and articles on budget friendly puppy dogs are VERY LIKELY to be filled with excellent scientific data of the highest quality!

Keep dodging the data boys.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Keep dodging the data boys.
    I was kidding, BS.

Not dodging the data at all. In fact, today is the first day of the free climate change course. Did you sign up for it?